PDA

View Full Version : Heretical Final Fantasy Admissions

Forsaken Lover
03-27-2010, 03:08 AM
Admitting you like or don't like something many other FF fans do/don't.

I'll give an example.

I think Seymour from FFX was a good villain. He was characterized well and the hatred of his voice-actor is undeserved. He had some great lines, especially during the final battle. "You should thank me! Your death means your father's life."

Now your turn.

VeloZer0
03-27-2010, 03:22 AM
- I started the series with FFVII, so that will always be a black mark against me in the eyes of some.

- I dislike Cid in FFIV

- I dislike Vivi in FFIX

I'm sure I'll think of dozens more as the week goes by. Nice thread idea.

ASIDE: Funny story. Back when I was living in a house with two other guys I was in the common room playing FFXII, with the other gamer roomie in the same room. A friend of roomate #3 walks in before they leave for the bar and says (all quotes paraphrased)
W: "oh, this is what FFXII looks like. I remember was really into FFVIII back in the day. Such an amazing game. Well, got to go."
after he leaves roomate #2 and myself turn to each other
R#2: "Man, I can't believe he liked FFVIII"
Me: "I know, I totally see him in a different light now"
R#2:: "Completely"
Thinking about the whole exchange always amuses me.

Flying Arrow
03-27-2010, 04:38 AM
- I dislike Vivi in FFIX

To each his own. But still... WHAAT?!

Here are mine (and I wholly admit that several will contradict others):

-I don't think FFIV is a particularly great game. It's good, but nowhere near as good as its immediate predecessor and successor.

-I think V is easily the best of the old-school games (I-V) and maybe even the best out of the entire 2D saga (I-VI). During a full moon, I may even argue that it was the best in the series before XII came along.

-I think IX's story is absolute garbage. Some of its subplots contain the best moments in the series, but as a whole the entire thing is stunningly badly written.

-Same goes for VIII, except no subplot magic this time.

-I think VII is probably the best game in the whole series and I also think the ending is very satisfying dramatically. VII is usually my personal standard for judging all other video games. I've never had a gaming experience as absolutely compelling as my first time through FFVII. It's complete rosy nostalgia and I wouldn't have it any other way.

-I think VIII is a pretty good game all things considered and still admire old Square for trying to be original after the blockbuster VII.

-I think XII is probably the best game in the whole series as far as gameplay goes (which, from some perspectives, makes it the best game overall). Only V competes, really. The Gambit system is genius.

Skyblade
03-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Admitting you like or don't like something many other FF fans do/don't.

I'll give an example.

I think Seymour from FFX was a good villain. He was characterized well and the hatred of his voice-actor is undeserved. He had some great lines, especially during the final battle. "You should thank me! Your death means your father's life."

Now your turn.

The character deserves far more bashing than the voice actor, I will admit that much.

Mine:

I think the Tactics Advance games were vastly superior to the original Tactics game.

I thought XII had a boring and predictable plot (quite aside from the gameplay problems, since my opinion on them is hardly unique).

Forsaken Lover
03-27-2010, 05:24 AM
The character deserves far more bashing than the voice actor, I will admit that much.

See, I don't get that. The first 6 games in the series (Vii and VIII as well if you think about it) brought us villains who were just "I R EVIL."

Seymour had a decent enough goal and a proper motivation. The only thing wrong with his character was he dragged on too long. Too many fights and disappearing acts and it did get boring. That's the fault of the plot more than his actual character, though.

Skyblade
03-27-2010, 05:49 AM
It had nothing to do with his goals or motivation. Goals for FF villains are easy to find. Just pick one from the list:

A. Destroy the world
B. Become a god, then destroy the world
C. Do both at once (efficiency points!)

Seymour was terrible because he had zero personality. Partly due to the voice actor, but mostly because his writing gave him very little to work with. You could replace him with a robot and not notice. Maybe we've had plenty of insane villains, but you can never say that Kefka was lacking in the personality department.

Forsaken Lover
03-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Well I just don't see how he lacked personality. I mean, it's hard to summarize his personality but he had one. I guess the best way to describe his personality is misguided. All the hell he went through as a child warped his psyche until he came to believe death was the only salvation from the neverending pain.

So yeah, his personality is he's a would-be savior.

Jessweeee♪
03-27-2010, 06:52 AM
I thought Seymour had a wonderful voice actor. He wasn't necessarily a bad villain, just a minor one. I simply disagree when people classify as him as the main villain as opposed to Sin or The Yevon faith as a whole.

I don't like Quina. FFVI was not my favorite, neither was FFIX. I quite enjoy FFVII. I think Vaan was a good character, and I'm content with seeing FFXII through his eyes even knowing that was originally Basch's role.

Forsaken Lover
03-27-2010, 06:55 AM
I thought Seymour had a wonderful voice actor.

I think Vaan was a good character, and I'm content with seeing FFXII through his eyes even knowing that was originally Basch's role.

I agree on both counts.

Crowseye
03-27-2010, 08:12 AM
I consider IV to be the most overrated game in the series.

I was not emotionally moved by Aerith's death (other than being momentarily surprised and thinking the scene was visually pretty cool), and I believe the ubiquitous assertion that "anyone who doesn't doesn't get depressed and bawl their eyes out when Aerith dies is a soulless and worthless excuse for a human-being" to be ridiculous.

Pheesh
03-27-2010, 09:01 AM
I got into the series late, and the graphics are now a deterrent for me going back and playing a lot of the games that people deem to be the best.

Wolf Kanno
03-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Despite being one of the more vocal people on the debate of VII's merits as a "revolutionary game" and despite all my problems with the title, I actually do like the game.

I don't like X, in fact I feel its easily the worst entry in the series and has no redeeming value as a title beyond serving as an example of how not to make a JRPG.

I think Yuna is one of the worst characters ever conceived in the FF series and no self-respecting female should ever want to be like her.

I feel Bartz is overrated, Galuf and Faris are far more interesting and endearing characters than he was.

I don't care for Locke, I also feel a dozen characters in VI are better than him. I'm also not a huge fan of Celes either.

I actually play VI and don' use the Figaro Bros. as permanent fixtures in my party.

I like VIII, despite the fact the title is crippled both in terms of gameplay and story telling, and has a weak cast overall, something about the title is endearing to me. I think its Squall, he's one of my favorite characters in the series. I also don't hate Rinoa, I don't necessarily love her but she's not as aggravating to me as Tifa, Dagger, and Yuan are.

I like XII and actually consider it to be the best candidate of the numbered series in terms of direction for the series.

I like FFII, and find nothing wrong with its Exp. system, its actually well thought out and you seriously don't need magic above a certain level anyway. Smurf Ultima.

I don't like Garnet or Zidane and I never cared for their love story.

I like Edward in FFIV, I also like Gordon in FFII. I hated having both leave my party cause I actually found them useful.

I probably have more but this all I can think of for now.

Kyros
03-27-2010, 10:53 AM
I think that 90% of the IX cast was comprised of morons who should die in fires. I was sad Zidane didn't die in the end. Also, I shall always firmly believe Kuja was a woman based on the closeup shot in the fmv despite the game referring to Kuja as a 'he.'

I never cared to use Agrias in FFT (idk why this is a big deal really but when I've mentioned my party to friends they go wtf over it lol)

I get bored with almost every last boss fight in the series EVER since they tend to be able to be done with me just pushing the attack command till they die w/o having to do anything else, which unfortunately sometimes makes it feel less climactic.

I make fun of Aeris for getting stabbed :D Oh well she can go be with Zack now I guess.

I think the FFIX card game is a waste of time since it gets you nothing other than a useless key item and an accessory, and you don't even need to be good to win the card tournament in the story.

I love Triple Triad and sphere break.

I thought FFX2 was a fun game, and I was happy Tidus and Yuna were back together in the end despite the fact the storyline wasn't the best of the series =/

I've never really cared for Terra in FFVI once she flies off in esper form b/c she's never felt like she's the main character to me anyway once she meets Locke.

I've never used Irvine in FFVIII in my main party even though the games one of my favorites, and I've played through it multiple times.

FFIX is probably my least favorite of the FFs I've beaten though I still like it despite all the hate I talk about it :x

I'll probably think of more stuff to add later.

Slothy
03-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Despite being one of the more vocal people on the debate of VII's merits as a "revolutionary game" and despite all my problems with the title, I actually do like the game.

I like VIII, despite the fact the title is crippled both in terms of gameplay and story telling, and has a weak cast overall, something about the title is endearing to me.

I could probably just go through the thread and quote most of mine from other people but these are probably the biggest two.

If I break these games down into their constituant parts I can find numerous faults with just about everything, except the soundtrack for VII anyway, that was awesome. Playing both of them as a whole though, there's something that makes me like them in spite of themselves. Even more so in the case of VIII though I'd say. It's not that I like it more than VII, but I would say that VII is actually a decent game I like more than I should, but VIII is a terrible game I shouldn't like at all yet do.

I'll blame it on rose coloured nostalgia glasses I wear.

And just to throw one more out there, FFXII is one of the best games in the series. Deal with it.

Rebellious Eagle
03-27-2010, 02:46 PM
-Even though I'm a "new generation" FF gamer, I like the older games better than the newer games.
-Bartz is probably my favorite character, tied with Locke and Celes. And Zidane. xD
-I absolutely loved V and could never understand why it wasn't more popular.
-I find VIII somewhat boring, although I'm still on the first disc.
-Rydia annoys me sometimes. Maybe it's the way she dresses.
-I adore III. It's definitely up there with my favorite games.

Karifean
03-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I disagree with putting Tifa in battle in FF7. Yuffie, Cid and Barret just seem so much better, considering their limits. (And Yuffie can deal normal damage with Morph!)

Dr. Corndog
03-27-2010, 04:24 PM
I'll make the worst admission yet: I love FF IV, V, VII, IX, X, and XII, and I even loved II the first time I played it, but I've never really enjoyed FF VI. I love its music, its story, its characters, and its graphics and enemy art, but I've never really gotten into the game itself. That doesn't mean I stop trying, though.

Slothy
03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
I'll make the worst admission yet: I love FF IV, V, VII, IX, X, and XII, and I even loved II the first time I played it, but I've never really enjoyed FF VI. I love its music, its story, its characters, and its graphics and enemy art, but I've never really gotten into the game itself. That doesn't mean I stop trying, though.

Wait, so you're saying you loved everything about it except the battle system?

I'm not saying you can't feel that way, but I'm surprised you could like the battle system in VII and yet not like VI. My brain can't quite figure out how that works, but like my enjoying VIII proves, my brain doesn't always have it all figured out.

Rad Bromance
03-27-2010, 05:36 PM
I loved X-2, and spent more time on it than X.

black orb
03-27-2010, 06:31 PM
>>> I like Yuffie and Tidus..:luca:

Kyros
03-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I disagree with putting Tifa in battle in FF7. Yuffie, Cid and Barret just seem so much better, considering their limits. (And Yuffie can deal normal damage with Morph!)

I am confused now since Yuffie and Barret have horrible limit breaks, and Barret is one of the 2 worst characters in that game while Tifa's limits are awesome and she's one of the best x.x

Karifean
03-27-2010, 10:23 PM

I am confused now since Yuffie and Barret have horrible limit breaks, and Barret is one of the 2 worst characters !?!? in that game while Tifa's limits are awesome and she's one of the best x.x

Yuffie's "Doom of the Living" is awesome and Barret's "Ungarmax" is, too. Also, both of them easily deal very high damage, you just have to give Barret some high-level materia and fight stronger enemies with Yuffie.
Tifa has a limit break which has only up to 7 hits (Yuffie's and Barret's have 15 hits!) and I'm not so good at Yeah!ing the hits.

Why is Barret one of the two worst characters in the game? I'd really like to know that. He's mostly ranged, he can reach 9999 HP without HP-Plus and he has an awesome 2nd Lv. 3 Limit Break. I'd say he beats Cait, Vincent (he just ain't got good limits), Red XIII and also Tifa by far.

Kyros
03-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Barret and Yuffie have the the 2nd and 3rd worst stats, only being better than Cait Sith's. I can see the argument Vincent's worse than them, but even though his limit isn't that great imo, its still better than Barret's imo.

Cid is an amazingly better version of Barret since he has the highest str in the game and has high stats in pretty much everything other than magic atk (which doesnt matter since magic is mediocre at best). Tifa's limit break is always awesome throughout the entire game since it always just adds an extra attack, making her the only character that always has a multihit limit break after her initial one. You put that with fury and she wrecks everything.

arcanedude34
03-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Now that I've played enough of VIII to realize the hate for it is mostly due to Spoony, I would argue that IV is probably the worst game in the main series.

I like Edward as a character and find it annoying that the game treats him as pathetic for weeping over the death of his lover. Especially egregious is Rydia telling him that she's stopped crying... then crying later on when Cid and Yang (two people she barely knows) "die."

I hate Rydia. I hate Gau. I hate Strago. I hate Lightning. I hate Yuna. But most of all, I hate Ashe. SO much.

I will never understand Square's fascination with the "perky young girl" stereotype.

James Taylor Arnold is a damn good voice actor. It's the voice direction in X that's atrocious. Ditto Yuna, Seymour... pretty much everyone except Rikku, as she's still terrible in X-2.

What else...

I love VII, but it takes itself way too seriously.

I hate side-quests that contribute nothing besides more battles. (Marks in XII, Monster Arena in X, missions in XIII)

I miss pre-rendered backgrounds. =(

Forsaken Lover
03-28-2010, 01:25 AM
Now that I've played enough of VIII to realize the hate for it is mostly due to Spoony

It's more that people like Spoony because they hate 8. My personal reason for disliking it is the cast is the most unlikable party I've ever seen in an FF.

James Taylor Arnold is a damn good voice actor.

Most people think this. Whnenever I've pointed out his other work in other games, people always say they love him.

arcanedude34
03-28-2010, 06:12 AM
James Taylor Arnold is a damn good voice actor.Most people think this. Whnenever I've pointed out his other work in other games, people always say they love him.
He does get a lot of flack for X though. As well as the Dissidia cast. Kuja's VA said in an interview that the direction was awful and they were given very little to work with.

And yes, VIII's cast is rather pathetic, I have to agree.

Forsaken Lover
03-28-2010, 06:26 AM
He does get a lot of flack for X though.

Well everyone except maybe Auron gets flack for their voices in that game. I am of the opinion that the voice-acting isn't nearly as bad as some say.
In fact the only truly bad voices in the game are maybe Kimahri and....well, Kimahri.

As well as the Dissidia cast. Kuja's VA said in an interview that the direction was awful and they were given very little to work with.

Yeah when I beat FFXII and found out Gabranth was in Dissidia, I quickly looked for stuff of his on YouTube. To my great surprise, one of the best and most awesome voices from XII suddenly sounded like absolute garbage.

Dissidia's voices were a disappointment in general.

And yes, VIII's cast is rather pathetic, I have to agree.

Laguna was a way cooler hero than Squall. Fact.

Well, my opinion. But still... Fact.

Slothy
03-28-2010, 12:43 PM
pretty much everyone except Rikku, as she's still terrible in X-2.

I thought the voice direction was terrible in X-2 as well, because Tara Strong is a great voice actress, despite Riku not always being that great.

Karifean
03-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Barret and Yuffie have the the 2nd and 3rd worst stats, only being better than Cait Sith's. I can see the argument Vincent's worse than them, but even though his limit isn't that great imo, its still better than Barret's imo.

I never really care for the stats of a character, since I always learn Beta before Junon and also reach Lv. 25+, which results in the one-hitting of practically everything. The only things I care for are the limits.

Cid is an amazingly better version of Barret since he has the highest str in the game and has high stats in pretty much everything other than magic atk (which doesnt matter since magic is mediocre at best).

I agree about Cid, he also has the best limit break in the game IMO. But that doesn't stop Barret from being a strong character as well.

Tifa's limit break is always awesome throughout the entire game since it always just adds an extra attack, making her the only character that always has a multihit limit break after her initial one. You put that with fury and she wrecks everything.

Probably, but due to leveling before Junon, I always get all 6 easily learnable limit breaks with Cloud, Barret, Yuffie, and possibly Aerith so I don't need a building-up limit break, for the 15-hitters are already available.

I never really managed to keep myself from overleveling before Junon, actually. I might try a "fast-game-challenge" one day, that should make things interesting.

PeneloRatsbane
03-28-2010, 04:21 PM
I wish Yuna made her marriage to Seymour work

Momiji
03-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Contrary to what I may say, FFVII is actually a tolerable game. It is absolutely, disgustingly overrated, though.

Oh, and I couldn't get into FFXII, either.

Forsaken Lover
03-28-2010, 07:10 PM
pretty much everyone except Rikku, as she's still terrible in X-2.

I thought the voice direction was terrible in X-2 as well, because Tara Strong is a great voice actress, despite Riku not always being that great.

I think she was pretty good myself. So do others apparently.
Interactive Achievement Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Achievement_Award#Character_Performance)

arcanedude34
03-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Yeah when I beat FFXII and found out Gabranth was in Dissidia, I quickly looked for stuff of his on YouTube. To my great surprise, one of the best and most awesome voices from XII suddenly sounded like absolute garbage.

Dissidia's voices were a disappointment in general.

Fun fact, Gabranth's VA in Dissidia wasn't his VA for XII. It was actually Basch's.

Golbez also has a new VA, as well as the best voice in the entire game.

Laguna was a way cooler hero than Squall. Fact.

Well, my opinion. But still... Fact.

I don't think anyone would argue that. He's the only likeable PC in the game

As for more confessions...

I actually like the fact that VI has no main character. The plot wouldn't work half as well if we had to stick with Terra the second half of the game.

Auron kinda bugs me.

I LIKE the crystals as a plot device. At least it's better than XIII where you have literally no objective for the entire game.

I REALLY miss pre-rendered backgrounds. D:

Forsaken Lover
03-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Fun fact, Gabranth's VA in Dissidia wasn't his VA for XII. It was actually Basch's.

Huh. Well my point still stands that Dissidia really crapped on otherwise good voices. The guy who did Basch was great in XII as well.

Golbez also has a new VA, as well as the best voice in the entire game.

I really did like Golbez's voice, I must admit. Dunno if he was the best though. I really liked Garland's voice. I recognized him instantly as Christopher Sabat because he was using his Piccolo/Zoro voice.

Honestly, the only good thing about Dissidia was how it gave actual personality to characters from the first three games. They were pretty much blank slates and an update helped flesh them out more.

I don't think anyone would argue that. He's the only likeable PC in the game

True enough.

A few more confessions for me:

-I like Vaan.

-From the bit I played of it, FFIV really wasn't that much fun.

-Amano is just as imperfect as Nomura. They both have good and bad designs to their names.

Kyros
03-31-2010, 06:55 AM
I wish Seymour was a villain I had given a crap about instead of some pos who I just enjoyed to be not in a scene with his hideous look and terribad voice

No.78
04-02-2010, 06:07 PM
I think 7 is overrated and slightly boring.

I also find Vivi annoying.

Clo
04-27-2010, 03:55 AM
I thought I was alone in finding FFIV to be one of the worst of the series... I don't know why I've played it so much. Pressure maybe?! I only really like Kain and Rydia.

asukaevaunit02
04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
I have no interest in VII. Played it and didn't live upto the hype, really average and boring nothing special.

Disliked materia system.

Dislike where characters are blank slates, only differentiated by limits (VII,VIII) Much more prefer fixed class characters as in IX.

V and XII had the best battle systems.

XII is quite a good game, and the characters were really nice.

X has one of (if not) the best stories, most I've been drawn into a Final Fantasy.

IX had the best soundtrack. And to me the best Final Fantasy.

XIII was big let down, was all pretty pictures that was all.

Hot Shot
04-27-2010, 03:49 PM
-Zidane, Tidus and Bartz are my favourite main characters.
-I think Vivi really sucks
-Didn't like the materia system
-Sephiroth and Kefka are over rated (but not so much with Kefka)
-Seymour and Kuja were my favourite villians
-Squall and Cloud aren't as cool as people make them out to be (but they are still kinda cool)
-My favourite FF class is White Mage

Freya
04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
- Terra hasn't really impressed me that much.

- I think VII is neat but so super overrated. I couldn't finish it honestly I got kinda bored.

- I really really disliked VIII. I don't wanna be a blue mage, don't make me be one.

- The fact that quina was a blue mage ruined her character for me.

- I hated the name Dagger. Seriously, come on square.

- Yuna annoys the crap out of me.

- I hate how you can't jump in XI. This was honestly a deal breaker for me.

- I actually loved XII.

- Sazh is overrated :colbert:

silentenigma
04-28-2010, 03:00 AM
I hate Final Fantasy.

Clo
04-28-2010, 03:05 AM
I hate Final Fantasy.

:doublecolbert:

Mo-Nercy
04-28-2010, 03:29 AM
- My favourite Final Fantasy is unquestionably FF8.

- FF10-2 was pretty awesome too.

- I love Triple Triad. So much so that I used to play an online variant of it.

- I love Blitzball. That game was crazy fun.

- I prefer Nomura's designs to Amano's.

I feel better now. =]

VeloZer0
04-29-2010, 12:57 AM
New one I though of by reading the best moogles thread.

- I don't like moogles.

Levian
04-29-2010, 01:02 AM
I don't find Aeris annoying and I didn't laugh at the end of Disc 1.

Many people around here seem to take pride in the opposite. :p

No.78
04-30-2010, 02:03 PM

No way, everyone I know cried at that scene. XD

-FFII made me want to kill myself.

Not sure if that's a heretical admission, but i'll throw it in.

Levian
04-30-2010, 04:18 PM

No way, everyone I know cried at that scene. XD

I think both sides are well represented at this forum, I suppose laughing at it must be some sort of reaction to how sad some people think the scene is or something. *shrugs*

Rantz
05-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I liked Raistlin's Final Fantasy bikini.

PeneloRatsbane
05-06-2010, 10:15 PM
I always imagine Aeris speaking with a cockney accent.

Mercen-X
05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't know "have no idea" if my opinions are heresy or not...
I'll just state my presuppositions.
I technically started Final Fantasy with Final Fantasy IV (released on SNES as II) but I didn't actually play it, I just watched my cousin.
By the time Final Fantasy VII came out, I forgot what Final Fantasy was and thought it was some kind of action-adventure game. I only picked it up because I saw pics of the characters in a game magazine.

I don't remember my first playthrough very well, but I think I only kept perhaps two names of the characters and changed everyone else. I know I called Cait Sith "D.C." and gave Yuffie another name because I imagined her original name to be pronounced "Yuff-ee." I changed Nanaki's name and Vincent's. I don't remember who else or what to.
I always thought Yuffie was weird and a little annoying but not nearly as weird and annoying and useless as I believed Cait Sith to be. I hated him.
I always wished AVALANCHE had survived and that there would be more development with them such as follow-up to Jessie's flirtations with Cloud.
I kinda liked Johnny, mostly because of his posturing, his hair and black clothes, and the fact that I associate Johnny with the names of hundreds of old popular characters. Johnny's just a classic. I gave him a last name: Atherton.
I thought the materia system was goofy. I hated that the characters didn't have their own abilities but loved the LIMIT Breaks. I hated the rainbow effect of it though.
The Airbuster looked so damn lame.
I hated Mukki, Big Bro, Don Corneo, and Dio. I wish they'd have some game that features Final Fantasy VII characters... oh wait there're plenty, but damn it, Zangan never appeared in anything.
I hated Cloud crossdressing. (Although I've begun work on an inverse version of the game switching the sexes of all involved characters and renaming them.) I hated discovering the hottub scene and Cloud's personal conversation with Corneo. The AVALANCHE tower scene irritated me. I wanted to be able to play in that park between Sectors 5 and 6. I wanted to see Tifa and Scarlet get it on after their slapfight. LOL. JK. I could care less.
I was unmoved by Aerith's death scene and I don't care what her real name is anymore. I just call her "age".