PDA

View Full Version : A question about Firefox

KentaRawr!
03-28-2010, 09:34 PM
So, a friend of mine was having trouble with IE10, so I recommended that he download Firefox. He liked it, as it was quite fast. However, apparently after I left his house, he and his Mom were having trouble getting the computer to work, apparently going to a blue screen at startup. I haven't seen the screen myself. His Mom seems to think that it's because of Firefox that the computer isn't working at the moment. I'm positive that Firefox isn't a malicious program of any sort, and having used it for quite a while, it makes me wonder if with a computer such as theirs, a problem could occur simply from installing Firefox. Since you guys are a lot more tech-savvy than I am, I figured before just telling them that there's totally no way that Firefox could do that to one's computer, I'd ask you guys first.

So, is it possible for Firefox, after being downloaded and installed from Mozilla's website, to do something to your computer that would hinder the start-up in any way?

Goldenboko
03-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Firefox would not hinder a computer's start up in anyway. Does the person have Vista? How exactly is it not starting up? If it gets stuck on the "Welcome" screen in Vista, it's registry errors due to a virus (not from Firefox).

Need a few more details on how and when the start up is being hindered before a good assessment of what's wrong can be made.

Momiji
03-28-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't think it's very likely at all that it's Firefox's fault. At least, I can't think of any logical reason why it would be.

KentaRawr!
03-28-2010, 10:03 PM
I haven't seen their PC myself. I also seriously doubt it's Firefox, but it's what they're telling me the problem is. :p I don't know much about it.

Rantz
03-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Did you download Firefox from getfirefox.com, mozilla.com or another official website?

Baloki
03-28-2010, 10:44 PM
I would say any computer running something called "IE10" was probably already infected...

Rantz
03-28-2010, 10:49 PM
xD

KentaRawr!
03-28-2010, 10:51 PM
It was mozilla.com/firefox.

Rantz
03-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah, not from Firefox then.

KentaRawr!
03-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Goody! Now I just need a way to describe this to them. They got confused once and believed that playlist.com charged you per song. >.>

crono_logical
03-31-2010, 02:11 AM
You might firefox can't be the culprit, but I've come across machines which BSOD when you attempt to run firefox - reading the error message (if you've not set the machine to restart automatically) indicates a problem with some device driver installed :p Although that's not the same as crashing the machine on startup without any user interaction :p

Citizen Bleys
03-31-2010, 06:02 AM
Let me guess: Vista? There's your problem.

I love PC techs who refuse to fix computers running Vista.

KentaRawr!
04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
No vista, buddy. But no worries.

Peegee
04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Let me guess: Vista? There's your problem.

I love PC techs who refuse to fix computers running Vista.

I had so much fun in IBM because of this.

Anyway Mozilla Firebox, while ram bloated, will not usually crash your computer. Find out (if you want) what the error message is and usually google will tell you what's up =)