PDA

View Full Version : Vista Defender?

Chloe.
03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
So I was just going about my business on my laptop and suddenly this thing pops up called Vista Defender, which I have never seen before in my life, and says that my computer is in serious risk and I have like 28 threats. And now it just keeps popping up with all this scary stuff. So I searched this Vista Defender and loads of people are saying that it is actually a virus thing and is just making it all up. I'm so confused and scared, somebody help me. :(

Flying Mullet
03-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Do you see it when you're browsing the web or when you're working in other applications? Many pop-up windows and such are designed to look like actual operating system windows and the best thing you can do is close the window and avoid the site(s) that generate them.

Chloe.
03-29-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't think it's to do with any websites as I tried closing down all the windows I had up and it still kept popping up. It actually came up looking like a proper anti-virus thing. It's just come up again, I'll take a screen shot thingy and attach it.

bipper
03-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Windows vista defender virus help needed? - Yahoo! Answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100319224745AAbHzR0)
It is a virus. There is a family of virus that behave this way. Kill it with fire. I have dealt with it, but only on xp machines (they have a flavor for every windows out there). I have an ME box (for fun) and my little cousin got a version of it on there even. >.>

It is typically harmless, but kill it with fire.

Chloe.
03-29-2010, 10:16 PM
So it's not gonna destroy my computer or anything? Maybe I just worry too much. :p I'll try the solution that they suggested on that website when I have the time tomorrow (assuming it hasn't killed my laptop by then). Thanks. :} And thanks Flying Mullet for trying to help too, much appreciated! :)

o_O
03-30-2010, 01:24 AM
It's just trying to trick you into buying the "pro" version of the software (which actually doesn't do anything except pretend to find viruses). Here's the link to the fix (from the page that bipper linked): Remove Vista Defender Pro, removal instructions (http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-vista-defender-pro.html)

It emulates the behaviour of a legitimate program called <b>Windows</b> Defender, which you're likely to see at some point, as long as you have Vista, so don't panic if you see Windows Defender; that one's kosher.

Baloki
03-30-2010, 09:24 AM
It is also a trojan so removing it asap would be recommended and also changing passwords after removing it.

Flying Mullet
03-30-2010, 01:13 PM
I have an ME box (for fun)
How is that fun?

It's just trying to trick you into buying the "pro" version of the software (which actually doesn't do anything except pretend to find viruses).
And install other unwanted crap like malware and key loggers.

bipper
03-30-2010, 05:19 PM
I have an ME box (for fun)
How is that fun?

Was my first windows machine that I bought, so it is sentimental. I let all the kids play on it - and laugh at it/them.

Citizen Bleys
03-31-2010, 06:09 AM
That's the same thing as Windows Antivirus 2008 and Personal Antivirus 2009; I call it mafiaware, because it's like when the mafia comes by your home and says "That's a real nice house you have there, it'd be a shame if something were to...happen to it."

As far as I know, the only cure is a format, but I don't use Windows anymore so fixing it is not my forte.

Chloe.
03-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Ok so I eventually got rid of it using Spyware Doctor or whatever it's called but now I have another problem, I can't connect to the internet (I'm using my dad's laptop at the moment) or open certain programs and stuff. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the virus. I've tried looking up solutions online but I'm not getting very far.

P.S Thanks for everyone's help so far! :}

vinnie's mini's
03-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Now this is strange o.o I had the exact same thing earlier this week (though it went by a different name, something like XP security 2010, but the window that popped up looked just like that one). I eventually got rid of it the next day though and now my laptop has returned to its normal self. I'll see if I can talk to you about it tomorrow or something Chloe :P We must solve this problem! :omghey: