PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IX looking likely for PSN release!

Dignified Pauper
03-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Final Fantasy IX Looking Likely for PSN - Final Fantasy IX - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5503940/final-fantasy-ix-looking-likely-for-psn)

Please tell me you're not excited. I will call you a liar.

asukaevaunit02
03-30-2010, 07:06 AM
If I didn't spend $60 to get it from England recently maybe I would be excited.

This is the Final Fantsy I insisted on having a real copy so, I'm happy to put the disc in my ps3 to play it. (and I'm not into downloading games on psn)

Jiro
03-30-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm still excited and I don't own a PS3. And I have two copies of it. It's good news - FFIX will now be accessible to a brand new audience.

Loony BoB
03-30-2010, 10:15 AM
I may just finally play this game.

Jiro
03-30-2010, 10:29 AM
SEE?! How can you not have.. BoB this game is excellent! I am thoroughly disappointed in you, but thanks to our friends at PSN you will be able to rectify this travesty.

Loony BoB
03-30-2010, 12:47 PM
It never appealed to me.

Book
03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
ah, good old FFIX. The game for PSX I spent most money on when I pre-booked it and got it on the realese day so many years ago. What I didn't know at that point was that it would be last and final game of the classic Final Fantasy ones. Sounds great that some young people who havn't got the chance to play this finally will :)

Depression Moon
03-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Good news. Hopefully people will think about getting this when they scroll through the PSN store. It'll make it more accessible to those young ones who weren't able to play it.

qwertysaur
03-31-2010, 02:15 AM
BoB, you have been missing so much magic :p

:zidane: :dagger: :steiner: :vivi: :quina: :freya: :eiko: :salamander:
The party is all ready for some action.

Loony BoB
03-31-2010, 01:38 PM
The only character I look forward to using is Steiner, admittedly. The rest seem fairly ho-hum. Maybe Quina. Dunno. We'll have to see!

Breine
03-31-2010, 09:55 PM

You should totally play it!

Even though I (like Jiro) have two copies of the game I still think that this is awesome news! Now, release FFIII on PSN/Wii Shop already!

Depression Moon
04-01-2010, 01:37 PM
I forgot. I bought so many copies of IX over the years and all of them have some sort of problem. With this being on PSN I will finally have a playthrough with no skipping, freezing, green and pink computer chip images.

Mo-Nercy
04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
I've gone through quite a few copies of FFIX myself as well. But I've replayed it recently on PSP and it's been a blast. I'm sure people would've seen me grinning like an idiot while I was booting it up for the first time on the train.

Rostum
04-01-2010, 03:53 PM
I was going to play through this again on my PS2, but I'll just wait and download it for PSP.

:)

No.78
04-02-2010, 05:21 PM
I would be excited if not for the fact I literally finished this game (I mean, beat Ozma) only a couple of months ago. I have not the money nor the drive to play through this right now!! Although, I do love 9...

Besides, it took them ages to release 8 after 7 and now 9 this soon? INCONCISTENT, SQUARE!!

VeloZer0
04-02-2010, 08:03 PM
The only character I look forward to using is Steiner, admittedly. The rest seem fairly ho-hum. Maybe Quina. Dunno. We'll have to see!
I was luke-warm about getting into FFIX all those years ago. In the end none of the characters turned out to be people I really liked or identified with, as I expected. However they were well developed (most of them) and the story was very engrossing. I can understand where you are coming from in terms of being skeptical, but you are missing out one one of, if not the, best in the series.

Bolivar
04-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm so glad they're bringing this over, I just finished the PSN version of VII on my PSP and just started FFVIII. It'll be a while before I get to IX but I'm immensely happy this game is coming out. It's one of the most well paced games I've ever played, let alone Final Fantasy, probably in my top 5 of all time.

Levian
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
FFIX has been inevitable for PSN ever since FFVIII was released for it. I have no idea where my FFIX copy is, so I'll probably get this at some point. I'm not in a rush though, since I've been emulating it with b1o. We're only on Disc 2 but still, I don't feel like starting over again, again.

Jessweeee♪
04-03-2010, 03:08 AM

If it comes out on PSN you won't have to go through all the hoops I did to get a copy of the game so late! Nothing's worse than putting so much effort into getting a game you don't even like that much in the end S:

Yar
04-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Does anyone know the benefits of having the PSN release on your PSP rather than just ripping your CDs to your PSP? :confused:

qwertysaur
04-03-2010, 04:48 AM
It's legal :p

Jessweeee♪
04-05-2010, 01:59 AM
It's a hell of a lot easier to do!

Dignified Pauper
04-05-2010, 05:06 AM
and it's a permanent copy.

I Don't Need A Name
04-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Not excited at all. I would only get it if my PS copy broke, or my PS1 broke.

If either of the above happened, there may be much destruction occuring around my area. Ergo, I will probably never buy the PSN version

Mo-Nercy
04-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Does anyone know the benefits of having the PSN release on your PSP rather than just ripping your CDs to your PSP? :confused:
There can be some issues with the game if it's just ripped onto your memory stick or downloaded. My FFVIII bugs out all the time whenever I try to Draw - Stock magic more than, say, 5-6 times a battle. Draw - Cast is almost impossible. And some special moves unique to bosses can freeze the game too... I must've reset about 50 times to beat Brothers.

FFVII was much better, but I've had some freezing problems with Chocobo Racing.

Aydin
04-15-2010, 12:10 PM
YAY!!! Now I get to bring my favorite FF wherever I go! :D

Vivisteiner
04-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah, this news is too awesome.

Skyblade
04-28-2010, 03:21 AM
...Still waiting. Seriously, when is this coming out? I'd love this game on my PSP. Compressing the PS1 graphics down to the tiny screen makes the flaws much less obvious, and with IX it would let the sheer awesomeness of the graphical style really shine. Not to mention give me a chance to play it on the go, which has proven effective in the past at getting me past some of my frustrations with games.

Bolivar
05-04-2010, 04:20 AM
...Still waiting. Seriously, when is this coming out?

SOON! (http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-ix-for-psn-is-almost-ready-172729.phtml) (<- link)

Depression Moon
05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Good. I can't wait for it to come, although I don't quote have the money for it at the moment. I hope it'll be less than $20

Loony BoB
05-04-2010, 06:49 PM
...Still waiting. Seriously, when is this coming out?

SOON! (http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-ix-for-psn-is-almost-ready-172729.phtml) (<- link)
Isn't that just saying that Japan is going to get it soon? Still no word there (as far as I can tell) on a release outside of Japan.

Bolivar
05-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Good. I can't wait for it to come, although I don't quote have the money for it at the moment. I hope it'll be less than $20

FFVII, VIII, and Tactics are all $9.99, I believe that's the highest PSOne Classics are charged, so expect it to be that much.

Isn't that just saying that Japan is going to get it soon? Still no word there (as far as I can tell) on a release outside of Japan.

Yes, but the Playstation Blog just gave an update (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/07/final-fantasy-ix-coming-soon-to-playstation-store/) about it coming soon to NA as well. I'd expect the release date to be close with the Japanese version as all the FF games have been released close to eachother I believe.

Loony BoB
05-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Ah, neat.

Now for it to be announced for Europe, so I can play it.

Levian
05-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Japan got a date for it now too, May 20th.

Dignified Pauper
05-10-2010, 03:26 AM
I imagine the NA version will come out in June.

I don't understand why they have a wait to "release" these things. Just flood the PSN with games!

Loony BoB
05-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Paid for it yesterday. Got through to the first save, which took forever. So far I'm enjoying it, although I must admit a lot of that is down to me saying "It's a hippo." "It's a penguin." "It's a cat." etc. while blinking dramatically. What the hell is... I mean... argh! Also, I wish I could keep Vivi named as Pointy-hat guy and I wish I could name Zidane to Tail More Like Fail. But alas. I can not.

Jessweeee♪
06-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Any word on what's taking the US version so long? I mean if they can get the Japanese and European version out six days apart, surely they could get the US version out in even less time :confused:

Mirage
06-05-2010, 10:07 PM
I bought it, and got annoyed by slow load times again.

DarkMateria
06-09-2010, 02:31 PM
June 15 for NA.

Jessweeee♪
06-10-2010, 05:36 AM
I've seen that date floating around today. Has it been announced officially?

Dignified Pauper
06-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Officially announced. Tuesday release. YES!

Miriel
06-15-2010, 01:16 AM
Yaaaaay. :omghey:

Dignified Pauper
06-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Purchased.

Skyblade
06-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Yep, I got it as well. It's about time. Honestly, how long can it take do to a simple direct port?

(Rhetorical question, I'm a programmer, I know how long it takes, that doesn't mean the wait isn't frustrating.)

champagne supernova
06-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Got it and will start playing it again when I get home. On Disc 2 already (which took a surprisingly short amount of time) and quite enjoying it. But the battles are irritating me immensely. Not the actual battles, but the loading going into the battle (where I get 360 degree panoramic view) and the length of time it takes for the ATB bar to fill up, and then the delay between the ATB bar filling up and then attacking. It reminds me of the older FFs in that regard, and I wish it didn't.

Otherwise, it hasn't really captured my imagination yet. But it's still early days. Garnet is quite cool and wish I didn't change her name to Dagger, for that is a silly name.

Miriel
06-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Started playing it last night.

I'd forgotten how utterly adorable this game is. I can't even. I just about fall off the couch giggling from the cuteness of it all. I spent like 10 minutes yesterday trying to have Vivi play jump ropes with those little girls in town. SO MUCH CUTE! :flirt:

Mogi
06-17-2010, 04:04 AM
Jesswee and I got it, and I've been playing it all day XD

I am horrible at jump roping ;_;

EDIT: I named Dagger Garnet and Steiner Benedic!

Pete for President
06-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm still in doubt whether to get this game from the PSN store. X was my first Final Fantasy and it's one of my favourite games since then. Afterwards I played and finished VII, which didn't really get to me at all.

Would it be worth it to get IX?:choc:

champagne supernova
06-21-2010, 12:33 AM

That's a hard question. I played VII & VIII when they were released on PS1. And I think they're great. I can play them again and still enjoy them. But I got IX off PSN, which I never played before. And it kind of didn't do it for me. So I'm wondering if maybe people don't enjoy the PSN re-released because of nostalgia and someone new might not like them.

But it's not that expensive compared to a new game, and even if it hasn't got me like VII and VIII, it still is enjoyable. Apart from when people don't concentrate in battles. BLEH!

Vivisteiner
06-21-2010, 03:24 AM
I'm still in doubt whether to get this game from the PSN store. X was my first Final Fantasy and it's one of my favourite games since then. Afterwards I played and finished VII, which didn't really get to me at all.

Get it for sure.

Most FFs are very different from each other and this holds true for VII, IX and X. In my eyes, all three games are brilliant, with FFIX being the best of the bunch. I definitely think it's worth trying out Final Fantasy IX, especially at the PSN price. It really is a massive bargain considering that most FF fans consider it to be a very strong entry in the franchise.

Pete for President
06-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the advice! Just bought it and it's currently downloading. I had €10 left from buying MGS1 anyway, might aswell spend it. Kinda doubted whether to get Vagrant Story or IX, but after looking up some old school trailers I decided I'd go for this seemingly peciuliar adventure.

Getting curious!

Vivisteiner
06-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the advice! Just bought it and it's currently downloading. I had €10 left from buying MGS1 anyway, might aswell spend it. Kinda doubted whether to get Vagrant Story or IX, but after looking up some old school trailers I decided I'd go for this seemingly peciuliar adventure.

Getting curious!
Nice. I hope you enjoy it.

Btw, don't go in with too high expectations. I do think the game is brilliant, but it's a subtle sort of brilliance - the sort which can easily go unnoticed if you're not careful. Personally, after my first play through, I liked the game but I didn't think it was brilliant. Final Fantasy IX was like fine wine for me - it got better with age.

Pete for President
06-22-2010, 09:39 PM

Getting curious!

Btw, don't go in with too high expectations. I do think the game is brilliant, but it's a subtle sort of brilliance - the sort which can easily go unnoticed if you're not careful. Personally, after my first play through, I liked the game but I didn't think it was brilliant. Final Fantasy IX was like fine wine for me - it got better with age.

Once again thanks for the advice. I played a while yesterday and the beginning is very atmospheric. Really digging the konky character design and the music is lovely. Battles have been a little slow though, but I guess I've got to get used to that.

I sucked at jumprope :"(

Vivisteiner
06-24-2010, 02:17 AM

Getting curious!

Once again thanks for the advice. I played a while yesterday and the beginning is very atmospheric. Really digging the konky character design and the music is lovely. Battles have been a little slow though, but I guess I've got to get used to that.

I sucked at jumprope :"(
Oh me too - I could never do jump rope. I could do sword fighting though!

I'm glad you're enjoying it. And yeah battles are slow even at max battle speed. I just like to sit back, relax and play and then the wait doesn't bother me.

And yeah, do give me updates on how it's going as you get further in. :)

Pete for President
07-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Progress update!

Progress is slow =( About 6 hours in now. I think the art design has been amazing and the characters seem to have a lot going on. Vivi is awesome but troublesome at the same time, gotta give it up for him though. I really dig the oddness of the world, that's really my kind of style.

So far I've been enjoying it a lot! I only wish I had more time to spend on it. With savepoints not coming as regularly as modern games it's kinda hard to start up. Busy man I am =(

PS: Gotta love Zorn & Thorn!

Rad Bromance
07-10-2010, 06:10 PM
I might have to buy this and VIII off PSN, even though I own original copies of them. I already downloaded VII...there's just something nice about having it all contained on a hard drive never having to break the disc out. :)

Pete for President
07-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Progress update! I'm on disc 3 now. Gotta say I didn't really like the outer continent at all, except for the black mage village and the ending. The events so far on disc 3 have been awesome though.

Trumpet Thief
07-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Progress update! I'm on disc 3 now. Gotta say I didn't really like the outer continent at all, except for the black mage village and the ending. The events so far on disc 3 have been awesome though.

How far are you into Disc 3? :D

Pete for President
07-29-2010, 08:38 AM

Not that far, just woke up in Lindblum after Alexandria was destroyed. Alexander was one hell of an eidolon :choc:

Rantz
07-29-2010, 11:51 AM
This thread makes me happy. I'm really glad to see this is getting some more people to play IX, and others to replay it. :)

Trumpet Thief
07-29-2010, 10:51 PM

Not that far, just woke up in Lindblum after Alexandria was destroyed. Alexander was one hell of an eidolon :choc:

I'm actually replaying right now too, and I'm about 1/4 through Disc 2. I can assure you (not trying to get your hopes up or anything), that Disc 3 has some really awesome moments that you still have to see :cool:

Also, god I love Treno. Such an awesome city :p

Edit: My bad, this is your first playthrough I think, which is all the more awesome

Pete for President
03-05-2011, 08:32 PM
I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but for what it's worth a final update: just finished it.

I know it took me long enough, don't hate! Here's why:

I get the feeling there's a lot of filler in this game. Pretty much everything on disc 2 and 3 (minus beginnings/endings of these discs) felt worthless to me. It's kinda hard playing a slow, visually outdated game when you're stuck somewhere and you don't know if any of what's coming is actually worth it. I kinda lost faith somewhere in the middle of disc 3 I think.

However! On to the good news. I think disc one was absolutely epic. Liked the ending. Art direction was amazing. The key-moments on discs 2 and 3 were awesome as well. I think I will go through it again some time, but as it took me about 7 months to beat it a first time (fear not, it's only a 42 hour save) I think I'll be more motivated to play through now I know what sweet moments are ahead, despite several dull moments on disc 2 and 3.

Oh and one last thing, the game did play with emotions quite well. I really felt something when Burmecia, Cleyra and Alexandria got destroyed, Vivi found out about his life etc. Well done. Those moments are rare nowadays.