PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite anime

docta fizz
03-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Anime/manga are some of my favorite shows/comics. I'm kind of in a rut because I seem to constantly pick sub-par stuff. Does anyone have anything they really liked and would suggest?

Full Metal Alchemist is probably my favorite anime. It's pretty much got everything. Action commeraderie, great dialog and amazing appearance as far as differences in character creation. I like the darkness as well, just seems to exemplify the friendships.

I also really like Naruto (the manga not the show that draggs on endlessly while the plot inch-worms along) I understand why the show takes forever and why they keep putting them out there, but you could at least take the time to devellope characters farther. Sad face. However the manga is non-stop great action.

Other good anime:
Basilisk (17+)
Gundam wing
Gundam seed
Trigun
Hellsing
Berserk (if you like messed up dark stuff)
Death note

Good Manga list:
One piece
Bleach
Basilisk (good enough to be listed in both)

So give me your lists and tell me why you liked some of your favorites

Chris
03-31-2010, 12:52 PM
For years, I didn't bother with the Pokémon anime, but I've been watching it from the start, and I'm currently going through season seven.

It's way funnier (and better) than I remembered it to be. :redface:

Sephiroth
03-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Dokokade Nakush-ita Aitsuno Aitsu - D.N.A.˛
Love Hina
Negima!
Black Cat
Dragon Ball/Z/GT
Sailor Moon
Pokémon
Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne
Digimon - not all of it

Excellent Manga:

D.N.A.˛
I''s
Love Hina
Negima!
Black Cat
Dragon Ball

Momiji
03-31-2010, 02:03 PM
I like pretty much anything other than shounen anime (though that really isn't a definitive thing, I'll watch anything if it's good enough).

Cardcaptor Sakura
Eureka Seven
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Ichigo Mashimaro
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Trapeze
Nodame Cantabile
Kaiba
Chobits
Kare Kano
School Days
5 Centimeters per Second
The Girl who Leapt Through Time
Pretty much anything by Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli

*Devore*
03-31-2010, 02:40 PM
I've never been able to choose a favourite, cause its kind of hard to compare a show like Doubt with Fruits Basket....the only thing in common is that they are both set in japan.

Awesome Anime
Spirited Away
Full Metal Alchemist
Deathnote
Cardcaptor Sakura
Eureka Seven
Full Metal Panic
Code Geass
Bosou Renkin
Cowboy Bebop
Tower of Druaga
Wolfs Rain

Mega Manga
Naruto
Lucifer and the biscuit hammer
Akuma to love song
Doubt
Fruits Basket
Claymore

PuPu
03-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Yu Yu Hakusho

Vermachtnis
03-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Awesome Anime
Azumanga Daioh
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's
Fate/stay night
Digimon Tamers
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Mega Manga
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (A must read for everyone)
Hayate the Combat Butler
Claymore
Hayate X Blade
Zettai Karen Children

Dreddz
03-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Akira (!)
Trigun
Castle of Cagliostro

Fairly predictable selection but I dont care, they're awesome.

qwertysaur
03-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Anime
Higarushi no Naka Koro Ni (+ Kai and Rei)
Bleach :D
Digimon Adventure + 02 (I like the later seasons, but these two are my favorites of the series)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Ghibli movies (Totoro and Castle in the sky are my current favorites)
Pokemon

Manga
Fairy Tail (The anime adaption is really bad compaired to the manga)
Psyren (This series is really really good)
Katekyoshi Hitman Reborn!
Claymore
Soul Eater

docta fizz
04-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Next question, if you were to suggest just one anime and one manga what would they be? (this will narrow my initial search and see if we have similar tastes, and might even get others to check em out :D)
|Note: doesn't have to be your favorite|

These are mine:
Anime
Black Lagoon - Pretty well written and action packed

Manga
Fate stay night - Beautiful drawings, epic battles, and ancient hero's brought to life in an acceptable way :D

Mo-Nercy
04-01-2010, 01:19 AM
I've really tried to narrow mine down.

My favourite anime is probably between Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing. Honourable mention to Digimon as well.

Manga wise, Rurouni Kenshin, hands down.

qwertysaur
04-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Read Psyren. Now

Tavrobel
04-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Does anyone have anything they really liked and would suggest?

What are you looking for? Action? Thinker? Ecchi/moe:bou::bou::bou::bou:?

I would have to say, that Boku no Pico will always fill your needs.

Aerith's Knight
04-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I can't believe nobody mentioned Bakuman as a good manga yet.

Jessweeee♪
04-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Higurashi no Naku Kori ni
Welcome to the NHK
Samurai Champloo
Serial Experiments Lain
Eden of the East
Trigun
FLCL
Death Note
Monster (I'm only on episode forty-something at the moment!)
Persona Trinity Soul
Haibane Renmei

As for manga, the only series I'm keeping up with is Skip Beat! and Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Rad Bromance
04-02-2010, 01:49 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/Sailor_Senshi2.png

docta fizz
04-02-2010, 02:15 AM
Ok rad, I will sadly admit that I once watched that show back when their were only 5, who in the crap are the rest of those ppl (or are there multiple shows represented in that picture.

theundeadhero
04-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Death Note
Berserk

There's not a lot that I like.

docta fizz
04-02-2010, 01:39 PM
What are you looking for? Action? Thinker? Ecchi/moe:bou::bou::bou::bou:?

I would have to say, that Boku no Pico will always fill your needs.

any of the above (though I'm not sure what moe is) most important would be the characters, that's all it really takes for a good manga, well that and a hint of creativity

The undead - you seem to like the darker side, but both are pretty good, have you tried Full metal alchemist? seems right up your ally ;)

Rebellious Eagle
04-02-2010, 02:09 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/Sailor_Senshi2.png

When I was 7 that show used to scare the heck out of me. It still does. D:
If you haven't figured out what my favorite anime is by now, then you're just not going to get it.

No.78
04-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Any anime I ever like is quickly overshadowed by the manga version of it.

I would love to finish watching Outlaw Star one day, for the nostalgia value. Cowboy Bebop looks good, too. Evangelion was a head-fuck and I don't really want to see that ever again in my life. What else... Oh yeah, I watched a bit of Samurai Champloo but it got boring when the plot grinded to a halt about four episodes in.

qwertysaur
04-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Eagle: haruhi order or Kyon order? A lot hangs in the balance based on the answer to this question :zombert:

Tavrobel
04-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Ok rad, I will sadly admit that I once watched that show back when their were only 5, who in the crap are the rest of those ppl (or are there multiple shows represented in that picture.

No, it's all Sailor Moon. You should be able to recognize some of the characters, but as the show went on, they continued the pattern of having more warriors representing the rest of the planets.

any of the above (though I'm not sure what moe is) most important would be the characters, that's all it really takes for a good manga, well that and a hint of creativity

Though most of these are anime, based on your list, I would recommend Code Geass, seasons 1 and 2. The anime and the manga deal with different storylines, but they would fit under the shows that you've watched before and based on your request. Nearly all of the Code Geass characters are memorable. Fate/Stay Night might also interest you; though, as an anime, it only exists because it is the precursor to the vastly, indubitably, infinitely superior Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. A lot of people have also been telling you to watch Cowboy Bebop. Do so; the show is easily described as an action-packed space opera.

Baccano! with its ensemble cast may also interest you, as the cast are all-out nuts, and the plot is just plain cool. If you dislike time-skips and broken story-telling, this may not be for you. Samurai Champloo also falls into the same vein as Cowboy Bebop, except it's not mercenaries in space, it's more like mercenary samurai in old-school Japan, an action-packed hip-hop opera. Higurashi has also been mentioned. If you like time loops or murderous women, then I can recommend it with a resounding "yes." I personally found this show overhyped, but Elfen Lied may also interest you, under the header of "women and blood."

There's also Higashi no Eden, but the story feels extremely incomplete without the last two movies, despite how awesome it was with just eleven episodes.

It'll be a while before you watch any of these, but my absolute favorite other than Air, Clannad, and Cardcaptor Sakura (which I know you won't watch any time soon), is a series of movies called Kara no Kyoukai. Seven movies amounting to about eight hours of magical investigation, blood, supernatural phenomena, blood, a girl with a knife that can kill anything that is flawed/has a concept of death, and blood. Ohh, also, there's a scene in which a sister hits her brother in the face with a book for even considering being gay, along with rape as a form of fan disservice. Do want.

Eagle: haruhi order or Kyon order? A lot hangs in the balance based on the answer to this question :zombert:

I think it would depend more on whether or not he is suggesting the original light novels or the first season of the anime. The original airing order is superior on the first watch-through, though.

VeloZer0
04-03-2010, 12:08 AM
I generally like Anime/Manga that has a strong element of characters training and getting stronger. Dus Ex Machina strength gains don't put me off, (I am a DBZ fan) but when the characters only seem to get stronger by sudden changes and haven't been putting serious time in training it makes me lose respect for them, and hence interest in the series. I also tend to like ones that have characters more on the calculating side, as opposed to ones I feel like throttling.

I'll rate all of them, even the ones everyone has seen so you can get an idea of what I like about them to see if our preferences are similar.

Anime I really like:
Full Metal Alchemist Original & Brotherhood
Unfortunately the original FMA suffered from a lot of filler until it broke away from the manga plot, but was quite good after that. FMAB is all awesome though. Only thing I don't like is Manga iconography (sweatdroping at crap) ruining the overall seriousness of the series.

Gundam Wing/Seed/Seed Destiny
Giant robots killing each other is cool, end of story. I loved the characters in Wing, it is something I would watch even if they didn't have Gundams to begin with. The characters in Seed are a little too much of crybabys for me to get as into, but it was very enjoyable over all.

Dragon Ball Kai
For those of you who don't know, they have begun to re-release DBZ in Japan, re-editig it for 16:9 and with the goal of editing it down to ~half the episodes. With all the filler crap removed it is a much more enjoyable experience for those of you who were turned off by the original DBZ. (or the NA broadcasts, which were even worse). Aside from the flashy fights, what I like most about the series is how it spans years of training an getting stronger. Unfortunately it is only available as a fan dub, which sucks because it is all orchestral music in the style of the original Japanese DBZ, and imo the music in the NA release was much better.

Naruto first 125 episodes in japanese
The NA broadcast of Naruto was a crime against humanity, and after ep 125 the series becomes nothing more than stupid filler. As it started out I though it was excellent in terms of making you identify with all of the characters, even though you didn't like a lot of them from first impression. It is the only coming of age story I have probably ever liked. The music and choreography are also excellent.

Cowboy Bebop
A nice unconventional anime. Unfortunately the series wasn't longer.

Manga I really like
Naruto
Unfortunately the anime started to suck hardcore, but the manga kept moving on strong.

Full Metal Alchemist
Said most of what I had to say in the anime section

History’s Strongest Deciple Kenchi
A cliché story about a loser kid who starts taking martial arts at a super dojo and becomes involved in all sorts of crazy fights. What I like about it is how it strongly showcases the training he has to undergo. There isn’t any Dus Ex Machina, just him getting progressively stronger from intense training in-between encounter. Unfortunately Ecchi makes it a little hard to take seriously at times.

Psyren
Hey Zombiesaur, another Psyren fan! This series is awesome. A bunch of kids keep getting pulled back and forth to this apocalyptic future, but will be killed if they tell anyone. As they go back and forth they must find out what happened in the future and figure out how to stop it. The interesting part is that every time they go back to the past they change the future, which gives them more information as to what to do next. And there is of course super powers that they get from being in the future.

Death Note
I loved Light as a character, so cunning. He is one of the few characters I can watch and not think ‘why would you do that, you idiot!’. Everything he does has me impressed with him, and when he has to match wits with someone as crafty as he is, well the series really gets awesome.

Manga I also read:
Bleach - don't like it enough for 22 minutes a week, but keeps me entertained for the two it takes me to read it
Hajime no Ippo - never thought I would have liked a story about straight up real world boxing. Lots of focus on the training.
Veritas - I'm a sucker for stories about training to be a supernaturaly strong martial artist,

ANGRYWOLF
04-03-2010, 03:34 AM
out now...

Other than naruto.

and the avatar before it ended.

I probably will go to the movies and see the movie when it comes out.

I did like Dragon Ball when it first came out...loved it in fact and years ago Robotech.

Dragonball kai is coming to nicktoons in May:

Dragon Ball Z Kai Anime to Air on Nicktoons TV: Nicktoons to Broadcast Latest DBZ Anime in May 2010 (http://anime.suite101.com/article.cfm/dragon-bal-z-kai-to-air-on-nicktoons-tv)

:)

Rebellious Eagle
04-03-2010, 02:30 PM

I'd have to say Haruhi order. Kyon order confuses me greatly.

Kuroshima
04-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Basilisk, only anime I have been watching lately, and my favourite.

JKTrix
04-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Glad I held off on contributing to this thread, the recommendations turned out okay after a while.

Fate/Stay Night being a precursor to Gurren-Lagann confuses me, though.

Vermachtnis
04-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Glad I held off on contributing to this thread, the recommendations turned out okay after a while.

Archer is GAR and Spiral Energy is run offa GAR?

JKTrix
04-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I guess that makes sense, looking at it that way :P

How you likin it? My copy just arrived yesterday.

Momiji
04-03-2010, 06:59 PM
My recommendations:
Anime:
Eureka Seven - My favorite anime, if it wasn't for Cardcaptor Sakura's greatness. E7 is of decent length (50 episodes), and giant robots who surf in the sky. Top-notch animation, as well.

Manga:
Yotsuba&! - Easy to pick up, easy to read, easy to enjoy. Each chapter is rather episodic, being a slice-of-life series. There's nothing over-the-top or unbelievable, just everyday humor through the eyes of a child.

Tavrobel
04-04-2010, 05:42 AM
I'd have to say Haruhi order. Kyon order confuses me greatly.

The Kyon order is definitely better for first time watchers. The anachronism adds to the illusion that the Haruhi world is already established and developed, which represents the very random/bipolar personality of its main mistress, Haruhi herself. The show does many things well and puts them all together in an excellent balance. Haruhi order is better if you're trying to wrap your head around the show after having seen it in Kyon order. Just leave out the middle six episodes of Endless Eight, and add in the other six episodes from the second season and you've got a pretty solid storyline. If you can handle the K-On-inspired animation.

Because FS/N came out before TTGL, as you know. GAR was defined from Archer. Without FS/N, there would be no definition of TTGL's variant of GAR. Before TTGL, FS/N was by far, the manliest show around in the public (4chan) consciousness.

Don't worry, Trix. There's no way he'll watch the really good stuff without getting through the :bou::bou::bou::bou: sooner or later. I still watch Pokemon.

Shina Valentine
04-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Anime:
Naruto
Bleach
Full metal alchemist
Monster
Death Note

Manga:
Naruto
Bleach
Nora:The last chronicle of devildom
Blank Slate
Wanted
The dark hunters
Vampire knight
Kingdom Hearts
Zombie powder

(I read more nowadays.:greenie:)

Ouch!
04-11-2010, 03:34 PM
YOURS IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!

That is all.

On a more serious note, as far as newer stuff goes since some people have already mentioned Gurren, I'd say Bakemonogatari is pretty solid. They do some artistic "cop-outs" because of their low budget about 2/3 of the way through the series (well, it's most noticeable there, anyway), but overall it's a pretty interesting show.

Momiji
04-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Bakemonogatari was pretty great until said cop-outs. Then it got incredibly irritating.

Oh, and the ED to Bakemonogatari is easily one of my favorites.

asukaevaunit02
04-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Anime:
Chrno Crusade
Nana

Manga:
Nana
Sailor Moon

Tavrobel
04-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Bakemonogatari was pretty great until said cop-outs. Then it got incredibly irritating.

Oh, and the ED to Bakemonogatari is easily one of my favorites.

The DVD releases make the show worthy of more appreciation. And they stop cutting out to black, red, brown, and white frames.

Rye
04-11-2010, 07:09 PM
I love Azumanga Daioh, Ouran HS Host Club, Card Captor, Ichigo Mashimaro, Lucky Star... the typical stuff girls my age like, Azumanga being my favorite.

I also really like DBZ, but that's because when I was a kid I'd run around my backyard pretending to be Piccolo. I wish I had his shoes. And Hetalia Axis Powers because it's the most ridiculously funny stuff ever.

kotora
04-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Why the hell is nobody mentioning One Piece. It's the most awesome manga ever (on par with Berserk) and the anime adaption is a pretty good one. I don't watch that much anime anymore, the animation and pacing suck most of the time, I prefer just reading the manga. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is awesome though.

Mo-Nercy
04-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I love Azumanga Daioh
The manga is great, but I find the pacing of the anime to be too slow. The best jokes are too drawn out to be funny.

Though someone who's watched the anime before reading the manga may have a different opinion.

docta fizz
04-13-2010, 06:51 AM
got the first season of eureka 7 today, should start watching it sometime tomorrow saw alot of positive reviews so I'm hoping it live up to them, should give me a little perspective on what people like:jess:

Rase
04-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Cowboy Bebop (dub) and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (subs).

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Anime

Sailor Moon (specifically the last season)
Ouran High School Host Club
Shounen Onmyouji
Zegapain
Kyou Kara Maoh!
The Vision of Escaflowne
CardCaptor Sakura
Tsubasa Chronicle OVAs
XXXHOLiC OVAs
Junjou Romantica
Fairy Tale
FMA: Brotherhood

Manga

Only the Ring Finger Knows
Loveless (GORGEOUS)
Codename: Sailor V
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
XXXHOLiC
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Love Mode
Freefall Romance

Awrini
04-13-2010, 10:29 AM
http://i43.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/250p6pd.jpghttp://org.ntnu.no/anime/img/serie/upload/20090429231216_12_101_Irresponsible_Captain_tyler.jpg

Looks so much better without the shades.

qwertysaur
04-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Anime
Fairy Tale

It's Fairy Tail :colbert:

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Really? I never noticed. :x

JKTrix
04-14-2010, 12:23 AM
(Tylor)

Looks so much better without the shades.

He rarely wears them, so it's all thumbs-up.

I didn't like the OVA nearly as much.

Zeromus_X
04-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Nobody mentions Gankutsuo (http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/embjOjphjyqQC5JFqr/browse/item/75275/4/0/0)? How shameful.

Jessweeee♪
04-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Anime
Fairy Tale

It's Fairy Tail :colbert:

Aaah, I would have loved Fairy Tail back in the day, but now I've seen enough anime to know when I'm getting into a 5,000 episode fightan' show. I always love them during the first season, but then it takes me until season five to realize I don't like it anymore xD

Robostar
04-14-2010, 01:58 AM
I like dot Hack//Sign , .Hack//Roots and Rockman EXE.

JKTrix
04-14-2010, 03:37 PM
No Medabots?

Nobody mentions Gankutsuou (http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/embjOjphjyqQC5JFqr/browse/item/75275/4/0/0)? How shameful.

That's because I've barely contributed (http://forums.eyesonff.com/2280639-post4.html)anything to this thread.

G13
04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't watch a whole lot of anime but there's a handful that I really really like.

Noein
Dragon Ball-Z-GT
Escaflowne
Full Metal Alchemist
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Akira
anything from Hayao Miyazaki

FF Unlimited was okay. Didn't really like the switching back and forth of the animation styles, and if that wasn't what it was then my eyes are fucked up.

ljkkjlcm9
04-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Manga wise, Rurouni Kenshin, hands down.

That is all.

THE JACKAL

VexNet
04-14-2010, 05:25 PM
My personal top five list for both Anime and Manga:

Anime
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurren_lagann), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/2001/Tengen_Toppa_Gurren_Lagann) [comedy, drama, mecha]
Kimi ni Todoke; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimi_ni_Todoke), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/6045/Kimi_ni_Todoke) [romcom]
FLCL; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLCL), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/227/FLCL) [scifi, surreal, comedy, mecha]
One Piece; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_piece), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/21/One_Piece) [action, comedy, drama]
Gintama; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gintama), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/918/Gintama) [comedy, parody, scifi, action]

Manga
Honey and Clover; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_and_clover#Manga), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=1009) [comedy, drama, romance, slice of life]
I''s; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27%27s), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=818) [comedy, drama, romance]
Hot Gimmick; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_gimmick), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/manga/647/Hot_Gimmick) [comedy, drama, romance]
Genshiken; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genshiken), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/manga/348/Genshiken) [comedy, slice of life]
Love Hina; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Hina), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/manga/16/Love_Hina) [comedy, harem, romance]

however, if I were to suggest something, then these would be my suggestions; with added information links from Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/) and MAL (http://myanimelist.net/) (since you can normally find links to subber's home pages from the MAL links).

If I were to suggest an anime to watch, I think my picks would be:
Baccano; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baccano), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/2251/Baccano!) [adventure, comedy, fantasy]
Genshiken; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genshiken), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/240/Genshiken) [comedy, slice of life]
Welcome to the NHK; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_the_NHK), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/1210/Welcome_to_the_NHK!) [dark comedy, drama, slice of life]
Detroit Metal City; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Metal_City), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/3702/Detroit_Metal_City) [comedy, music]
Minami-Ke; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minami-ke), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/2963/Minami-ke) [comedy, slice of life]
REC; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec_%28manga%29), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/710/REC) [drama, romcom]
Kimi ni Todoke; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimi_ni_Todoke), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/6045/Kimi_ni_Todoke) [romcom]
Beck; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BECK:_Mongolian_Chop_Squad), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/57/Beck) [music, romance, slice of life]
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurouni_Kenshin:_Tsuiokuhen), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/44/Rurouni_Kenshin:_Tsuiokuhen) [drama]
Honey and Clover; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_and_Clover), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/16/Honey_and_Clover) [comedy, drama, romance]
Paranoia Agent; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_Agent), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/323/Paranoia_Agent) [mystery, horror, satire]
Ouran High School Host Club; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouran_High_School_Host_Club), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/853/Ouran_High_School_Host_Club) [drama, romcom]

Also, if you're looking for a Movie to watch:
Paprika; info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika_%282006_film%29), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/1943/Paprika) [or another Satoshi Kon film [wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoshi_Kon), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/people/4580/Kon_Satoshi)]]
Steamboy; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamboy), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/565/Steamboy)
Voices of a Distant Star; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_of_a_distant_star), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/256/Voices_of_a_Distant_Star)
Robot Carnival; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Carnival), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/2182/Robot_Carnival)
Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Castle_of_Cagliostro), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/1430/Lupin_III:_The_Castle_of_Cagliostro) [or another Lupin 3rd film [wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin_III)]]
Angel's Egg; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel%27s_Egg), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/885/Angels_Egg)
Castle in the Sky; wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_in_the_Sky), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/513/Castle_in_the_Sky) [or another Studio Ghibli film [wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/people/1870/Miyazaki_Hayao)]]

Slick
04-14-2010, 05:56 PM
I only have one real favorite, and that would have to be Yu Yu Hakusho.

Momiji
04-14-2010, 06:01 PM
VexNet has an insanely good list there.

Mercen-X
04-14-2010, 08:15 PM

Anime
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann; "X": I've seen some
FLCL; "X": kinda wish for more
One Piece; "X": love the series but wish the anime had remained consistent with its American voice actors. The season in which they travel "up" has COMPLETELY different voices.
"X": Personally, I'll add BLEACH and Naruto/Shippuden

Manga
Hot Gimmick; "X": I consider it a guilty pleasure
Genshiken; "X": I know the premise but have never indulged
Love Hina; "X": sounds familiar
"X": I'll add the .hack series and I know there's something out there other than Ultimo.

Baccano; "X": Awesome
Beck; "X": I really couldn't get into this
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen; "X": Tsu... ioku... hen? Is that new?
Paranoia Agent; "X": This is nearly as weird as FLCL and Boogiepop Phantom
Ouran High School Host Club; "X": I don't know that I'd call this a guilty pleasure

Steamboy; "X": I've heard of this but can't seem to find it for rent and I don't want to buy it before I've watched it.
Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro; "X": I wasn't really a big of fan of Lupin III.

VexNet
04-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Anime
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann; "X": I've seen some
FLCL; "X": kinda wish for more
One Piece; "X": love the series but wish the anime had remained consistent with its American voice actors. The season in which they travel "up" has COMPLETELY different voices.
"X": Personally, I'll add BLEACH and Naruto/Shippuden

Manga
Hot Gimmick; "X": I consider it a guilty pleasure
Genshiken; "X": I know the premise but have never indulged
Love Hina; "X": sounds familiar
"X": I'll add the .hack series and I know there's something out there other than Ultimo.

Baccano; "X": Awesome
Beck; "X": I really couldn't get into this
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen; "X": Tsu... ioku... hen? Is that new?
Paranoia Agent; "X": This is nearly as weird as FLCL and Boogiepop Phantom
Ouran High School Host Club; "X": I don't know that I'd call this a guilty pleasure

Steamboy; "X": I've heard of this but can't seem to find it for rent and I don't want to buy it before I've watched it.
Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro; "X": I wasn't really a big of fan of Lupin III.

Never watched the One Piece Dub, only ever kept track of the fansubs and that always remained consistent =]

I could never get past the first season of Bleach, I like to read some recent chapters now and again to see how the characters are (like what has happened to Ishida and Ichigo etc).

The Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen (better known as Samurai X in english) was a series of OVAs telling the story of Kenshin's past and how he became the person he is before the events of the Anime series. It has some really beautiful animation and well choreographed fight scenes. It balances between serene nature and emotionally driven fights very well.

heh, Yeah FLCL and Paranoia Agent are pretty weird, I've wanted to try watching "Dead Leaves" since that seems pretty weird too, but I've heard mixed reviews about it and I've not been swayed enough to go out of my way and watch it yet.

Steamboy is somewhat reminiscent of the Studio Ghibli way of story telling (in my opinion) so if you're a fan of those movies, then you'll probably be a fan of this.

Vermachtnis
04-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Well with One Piece, it was first picked up by 4Kids and although the actors themselves weren't bad, the company just shouldn't dub stuff. They made a bunch of unnecessary and stupid edits. But then it was picked up by Funimation right before the Skypeia arc.

JKTrix
04-15-2010, 12:38 AM
"Dead Leaves" since that seems pretty weird too, but I've heard mixed reviews about it and I've not been swayed enough to go out of my way and watch it yet.

Steamboy is somewhat reminiscent of the Studio Ghibli way of story telling (in my opinion) so if you're a fan of those movies, then you'll probably be a fan of this.

Dead Leaves is directed by the same guy who directed Gurren Lagann. So if you're digging into Oshii history by recommending Angel's Egg, might as well get into a little bit of Imaishi's history with Dead Leaves, since you already have some interest in it.

I completely disagree with putting Steamboy on the same storytelling level as Ghibli. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it suffers from the same flaws as that same director's most famous work--Akira. Spectacular animation, perhaps distractingly so at times, but you're really not coming for the story. But really, I suspect that for this thread, just looking superb will be enough for most people.

For anyone writing off Castle of Cagliostro because they never 'got into' Lupin--don't. You'd really be doing yourself a major disservice. Just watch it. My whole post seems to be about Director Legacy, and this really is a big one, since it's the first film that Ghibli's Miyazaki directed. You don't need to be familiar with or even enjoy Lupin beforehand to dig this movie, it stands perfectly well on its own and is heads-and-shoulders better and more accessible than almost anything the rest of that franchise has to offer.

I would consider Castle of Cagliostro among the anime films that anyone who wants to call themselves a serious anime fan needs to watch.

Other than that, I'm glad I chose to take a back seat in this thread. VexNet came out of nowhere with some dern good recommendations.

Depression Moon
04-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Only Anime I've watched almost all the seasons of is DBZ. It's also my personal favorite. Not too many others have caught my interest. Most of them seem too kiddy or weird for me. I was into Yu Yu Hakusho and Samurai Champloo, but those shows got canceled on Adult Swim before I got the chance to finish watching them. I loved them both. I was also getting into Ghost in the shell, but it wasn't as enjoyable for me as the other two. Also remember another one on AS that had some older looking woman with cyndel like hair, but just white and there was some Asian guy in it too and a furby looking thing that ate carrots. Never saw a complete episode of that either.

VexNet
04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
"Dead Leaves" since that seems pretty weird too, but I've heard mixed reviews about it and I've not been swayed enough to go out of my way and watch it yet.

Dead Leaves is directed by the same guy who directed Gurren Lagann. So if you're digging into Oshii history by recommending Angel's Egg, might as well get into a little bit of Imaishi's history with Dead Leaves, since you already have some interest in it.

I did not know he directed Gurren Lagann aswell! I will have to make a note of getting ahold of this show then!

If we're talking about just really pretty animes aswell, I recently watched Bobby's in Deep which I had heard about via a podcast I listen to, and it's an incredibly beautiful anime, all done in traditional means (like watercolour, inks, paints etc) but it's not a particularly exciting show since it's mostly about atmosphere and slice of life about a guy called bobby, It's only about 40minutes but totally worth the watch if you want to see some lovely animation.

And another weird show I enjoyed was Kemonozume. the director of that show also did Mind Game and Kaiba which is on my to-watch list aswell.

Other than that, I'm glad I chose to take a back seat in this thread. VexNet came out of nowhere with some dern good recommendations.
ninja'd

JKTrix
04-15-2010, 02:10 PM
AWO is a good show.

Masaaki Yuasa (of Kaiba, Kemonozume, etc) is getting a new show that starts next week in Japan called Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMOTgpvqI6Q). It's going to be in Fuji TV's high-profile Noitamina slot, so it has a lot to live up to too.

Momiji
04-15-2010, 02:26 PM
I've been excited for Yojouhan for a while now. I can't wait.

Leonknight
04-15-2010, 02:57 PM
my favorite animes well lets see, small list but good ones

FMA
FMA:Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Blue Gender
Vandread
Claymore

Jessweeee♪
04-16-2010, 08:07 PM
AWO is a good show.

Masaaki Yuasa (of Kaiba, Kemonozume, etc) is getting a new show that starts next week in Japan called Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMOTgpvqI6Q). It's going to be in Fuji TV's high-profile Noitamina slot, so it has a lot to live up to too.

It looks pretty o:

Zeromus_X
04-19-2010, 11:35 PM
That's because I've barely contributed (http://forums.eyesonff.com/2280639-post4.html)anything to this thread.

Well now I just feel silly.

JKTrix
04-20-2010, 05:22 AM
Masaaki Yuasa (of Kaiba, Kemonozume, etc) is getting a new show that starts next week in Japan called Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMOTgpvqI6Q) (a.k.a. The Tatami Galaxy). It's going to be in Fuji TV's high-profile Noitamina slot, so it has a lot to live up to too.

It looks pretty o:

Keep an eye on Funimation, either their own video site (http://www4.funimation.com/video/?) or their YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/FUNimation). They announced mere hours before the premiere of House of 5 Leaves that they have the 'simulcast' rights to all of noitaminA's shows going forward, which includes Tatami Galaxy. So, one hour after it shows on noitaminA this Thursday, you'll see it on their video sites.

Pretty exciting, noitaminA shows are a pretty big deal. It's a TV block dedicated to making anime that is a little outside of the usual 'box' of anime that gets produced, and it has done very well for them.

blackmage_nuke
04-20-2010, 06:54 AM
An anime I really enjoy that doesnt get mentioned often is Basquash! It has awesome music and animation, I dont know why it doesnt get more love.

Tavrobel
04-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Pretty exciting, noitaminA shows are a pretty big deal.

You know as well as I do, that the term "big deal" is not even close to an explanation.

I'd say they're more along the lines of "watch this or else you lose your man cards."

Shoeberto
04-21-2010, 12:14 AM
I am a serious anime fan and have compiled an extensive list of my favorite anime shows and films:
* Pokemon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na0mYSFPoCU)

Mercen-X
04-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Never watched the One Piece Dub, only ever kept track of the fansubs and that always remained consistent =] Ever since I lost cable, I've been satisfied with reading the manga, though I have no preference for reading which is why I want everything to be translated to a screen of some sort.

I could never get past the first season of Bleach, I like to read some recent chapters now and again to see how the characters are (like what has happened to Ishida and Ichigo etc). Yeah, I keep up with BLEACH in the same way as I do any other anime these days... manga.

The Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen (better known as Samurai X in english) was a series of OVAs telling the story of Kenshin's past and how he became the person he is before the events of the Anime series. It has some really beautiful animation and well choreographed fight scenes. It balances between serene nature and emotionally driven fights very well. Yeah. Yeah. Samurai X. I own those OVAs. Never realized they were called Tsuiokuhen. Trivia fun. And, yeah, they're uber.

I've wanted to try watching "Dead Leaves" since that seems pretty weird too, but I've heard mixed reviews about it and I've not been swayed enough to go out of my way and watch it yet. Hmm. Yeah.

I completely disagree with putting Steamboy on the same storytelling level as Ghibli. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it suffers from the same flaws as that same director's most famous work--Akira. Spectacular animation, perhaps distractingly so at times, but you're really not coming for the story. But really, I suspect that for this thread, just looking superb will be enough for most people. Is that right? Maybe I'll watch it, after all.

For anyone writing off Castle of Cagliostro because they never 'got into' Lupin--don't. You'd really be doing yourself a major disservice. Just watch it. My whole post seems to be about Director Legacy, and this really is a big one, since it's the first film that Ghibli's Miyazaki directed. You don't need to be familiar with or even enjoy Lupin beforehand to dig this movie, it stands perfectly well on its own and is heads-and-shoulders better and more accessible than almost anything the rest of that franchise has to offer. Sounds good to me.

Only Anime I've watched almost all the seasons of is DBZ. It's also my personal favorite. Not too many others have caught my interest. Most of them seem too kiddy or weird for me. I was into Yu Yu Hakusho and Samurai Champloo, but those shows got canceled on Adult Swim before I got the chance to finish watching them. I loved them both. I was also getting into Ghost In the Shell, but it wasn't as enjoyable for me as the other two. Also remember another one on AS that had some older looking woman with cyndel like hair, but just white and there was some Asian guy in it too and a furby looking thing that ate carrots. Never saw a complete episode of that either.

Awesome shows, although I couldn't wrapping my joy factor around Ghost In the Shell. I felt that Witch Hunter Robin was much the same.

cyndel? Sindel from Mortal Kombat?

Clo
04-27-2010, 02:32 AM
I can't see if anyone's mentioned it, but I really love Cowboy Bebop. Just the feel of the series makes me happy.

Second favorite would be Fullmetal Alchemist.