PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Fortres 2010 - The crusty tombs of misspelling

Madame Adequate
04-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Released today, I've just downloaded it and been tooling around a little, and it's legit, and seems pretty neat so far.

In legends I read of a giant feathered earthworm. The feathers are downy, but the earthworm looks gaunt. Somehow.

Oh, and now the only button you need to get out of a menu is Esc, not randomly Esc, Space, or F9.

If a mod would fix the title I'd be mighty appreciative.

Rye
04-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Can't wait to download this and start playing.

Dignified Pauper
04-01-2010, 02:20 PM
OMG! I can't wait either. New laptop means it will be portable. GREAT!

Iceglow
04-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Damn, the website is down cause of weight of traffic.

Edit:

The wiki located here (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page) has the file available on the main page :D

Necronopticous
04-01-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm very excited, but I think I'll wait for some of the major bugs to be smoothed out.

Madame Adequate
04-01-2010, 11:24 PM
For those of us who are not Jeremy, the Wiki has a link and brief instructions to get Mayday's tileset in DF2010: DF2010:Tileset - Dwarf Fortress Wiki (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Tileset) Edit2: Scratch that perhaps, it's not all working properly yet it seems, quite a few things are missing. Edit3: Nope, that was just me not following instructions properly.

Going to take another crack at it now!

Oh, yes, and remember how Toady said megabeasts would be buffed in worldgen? He wasn't smurfing around, first thing I looked at was a 500 year old dragon with 250+ kills, still alive. As far as I could see not one megabeast had died during genning.

Edit: New world looks awesome. The parameters to make island realms is beautiful, I don't know if I'll ever do otherwise. I have discovered a moderate island known as The Adorable Continent.

Necronopticous
04-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I chipped in a $50 donation for the release. I encourage you all to chip in, too!

Psychotic
04-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Conibo was a forgotten beast. An enormous eyeless camel. It has large mandibles and appears to be emaciated. Its scarlet hair is long and shaggy. Beware its poisonous bite!

I also have another one. A giant hairy light blue snail with wings that "undulates rhythmically".

EDIT: Giant blob of vomit spotted. It also has wings and poisonous spittle!

Necronopticous
04-02-2010, 06:15 AM
I couldn't resist.

http://www.necronopticous.com/upload/df01.gif

http://www.necronopticous.com/upload/df02.gif

Momiji
04-04-2010, 08:56 PM
There would be a new version before I get around to the one before it. >_>;

Dignified Pauper
04-05-2010, 05:04 AM
I brought LOTS of alcohol. Forgot to build a well. All my streams and ponds froze over. I forgot to brew more alcohol. Dorfs start dying of thirst. Caravan arrives. No Liason or trader. Fist fight and tantrum destroys depot. Liason leaves unhappy. Everyone dies.

Psychotic
04-05-2010, 05:06 AM
You forgot the crucial three words: Fun is had.

Dignified Pauper
04-05-2010, 05:38 AM
You're right. I also found adamantite and a cavern and it was ridiculous the amount of baddies I brought up. I erected a wall after killing them, sealing them away for eternity.

Psychotic
04-05-2010, 05:44 AM
When all of the bugs are ironed out, I propose Towntwinkles II!

Dignified Pauper
04-05-2010, 05:46 AM
what bugs are there? Every version has bugs. Also, doctors are awesome.

Psychotic
04-05-2010, 05:47 AM
I've heard very bad things about the military, particularly problems with training weapons.

Although personally I need to wait for the d# (or whatever it is called) merge because it runs real slow on my PC right now. I'm still in Summer of my first year :shobon:

Dignified Pauper
04-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Do you have a multi-core processor? Try going into your init and changing:

Partial_print to yes

On my multi-core PC, I did that, and it REALLY helped. ALSO, once the game is running, open task manager, find the process, right click and set affinity, and make certain it only uses 1 CPU.

Psychotic
04-05-2010, 05:25 PM
No, I don't have multicore, and I already tried partial_print and it just makes the screen flicker. Thanks anyway though. :shobon: I messed about with the G_FPS Cap and that has given me about 60 FPS to play with so we're golden until the migrant filth arrive.

Iceglow
04-05-2010, 06:38 PM
The wiki has a link to a mayday version of 2010 edition. I wouldn't bother with it tbf, the guy who ported mayday over to 2010 has done a rush job and therefore a lot of characters (every incidence of E 1 0 and a fair few others for example) are either not displaying at all or not displaying properly. Also my fps dropped to like 12 or something earlier testing it out. I am just going to have to learn to play on raw ascii it seems until they come out with a better update to mayday or another similar tileset.

Dignified Pauper
04-05-2010, 07:22 PM
meh, I don't use a tileset. Sometimes I'll use stonesense, just to undestand a little better.

Does anyone know if stone-sense works for this new version?

Iceglow
04-05-2010, 07:28 PM
meh, I don't use a tileset. Sometimes I'll use stonesense, just to undestand a little better.

Does anyone know if stone-sense works for this new version?

No it doesn't at the moment I just tried running it and it said "could not find DF process"

Madame Adequate
04-05-2010, 08:23 PM
The wiki has a link to a mayday version of 2010 edition. I wouldn't bother with it tbf, the guy who ported mayday over to 2010 has done a rush job and therefore a lot of characters (every incidence of E 1 0 and a fair few others for example) are either not displaying at all or not displaying properly. Also my fps dropped to like 12 or something earlier testing it out. I am just going to have to learn to play on raw ascii it seems until they come out with a better update to mayday or another similar tileset.

Weirdly, the Wiki had instructions for how to fix that, but I just checked and it's gone.

Go into the graphics folder and rename maydayMAX to mayday, overwriting the original mayday.bmp. IIRC that's how you fix that.

Speed is nothing to do with tilesets afaik. It's just slow for a lot of people because it's not been merged with d# yet. It still runs fine on my computer because apparently I stole one from a supercomputer bank?

Psychotic
04-05-2010, 10:25 PM
A lot of people have said they've had problems generating a world using Mayday for whatever reason. I had no problems generating one with my own custom tileset though!

Iceglow
04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Well MILF fixed the problem I had with mayday. Thanks buddie

As for world gen, the copy you linked me to wouldn't do world generating Psy, however the copy that I found on the wiki does do world gen.

Dignified Pauper
04-06-2010, 02:22 PM
I believe I'm going to begin a new fortress with the construction of a great tower. Said tower will have a base of wood, making it susceptible to dragon fire. If everything on any of the first three levels go, then the tower will completely collapse, killing everyone inside.

Everything on top of the wood would be made of stone that would come from a huge mining expedition. After level 3, level 4 would start with four separate towers spiraling around one another for about ten levels, bridges connecting every other level, and then converging again into one small pillar tower that leads up 4 or 5 levels to a much wider tower. This tower would then have hallways leading to separate rooms coming off its exterior.

At the top, however high I consider the top to be, will have a glass dome with a main conference chamber. All nobles and high-ranking jobs will be housed in the tower. Peasants and low-ranking jobs will be housed in the mines.

I have a vision... A glorious vision. There will be farms in mines used to feed and produce for everyone else in the tower. There will be a tunnel in the mines connecting them to a walled off building with a glass roof where they grow surface crops. These surface crops. We will have a grand throne room in the center of the large tower that sits on top of the four converged towers that marvels all magnificence. Fully smoothed and engraved stones, with a throne of adamant and statues made by a legendary Mason. The King's room will be directly behind his throne.

There will be a well that goes all the way from the central tower into a dwarven made lake in the mines.

On top of each separate room that splits from the main tower, we will have windmills. In the basement of each room will be generators. These generators will power our fortress.

In the four spiral towers, there will be split rooms of look out points for archers and areas for them to view. It will be magnificent and breath-taking. The sprawling splendor of Armok. We will reach the heavens and battle him, and he will send a dragon to burn the base of the fortress and wipe us all out. The tower will collapse into the mine shaft below. Any dwarf inside will either die, or be trapped forever. If they are a miner, they may find a way to dig themselves out and view the ruins of a once great fortress that was demolished. It will be beautiful. The dust will settle, and I will review the activity log. It will be filled with. "< Dwarf > cancels . Item cannot be reached." "Collapse! < Dwarf > was crushed."

Rye
04-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm very excited, but I think I'll wait for some of the major bugs to be smoothed out.

Me!

Psychotic
04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't think wooden walls behave any differently from stone walls, do they? Unless the new materials system also affects walls.

Either way, Marick, if this was the Bay12 forums I'd quote bits of your post and say *SIGGED*, that is how much I enjoyed it. As soon as stonesense works, you better show us pics!

Dignified Pauper
04-06-2010, 03:11 PM
i will. Also, wooden walls can burn. Stone walls can't. Which means that if everything on the ground levels burn, we're all dead! Further, I am building it split over a river.