PDA

View Full Version : Batman: The Brave & the Bold Episode 37 "Chill of the Night!"

The Fat Bioware Nerd
04-02-2010, 02:31 AM
YouTube - Chill Of The Night 1/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN5jELusYXo)

YouTube - Chill Of The Night 2/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7dpQCZGGJI&feature=related)

YouTube - Chill Of The Night 3/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy_9vLuiv24&feature=related)

This is basically how Batman: The Animated Series should've ended....With Bruce Wayne hunting Joe Chill down and karma causing his subsequent death.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-02-2010, 03:27 AM
I don't like that "Joe Chill" is even a character in some Batman continuities. Batman's mission to keep innocent people safe from whatever might imperil them is stronger if his parents' killer remains anonymous. Because he could be any criminal, he represents <i>every</i> criminal.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
04-02-2010, 04:09 AM
I don't like that "Joe Chill" is even a character in some Batman continuities. Batman's mission to keep innocent people safe from whatever might imperil them is stronger if his parents' killer remains anonymous. Because he could be any criminal, he represents <i>every</i> criminal.

It's always very emotional and very memorable to have Batman confront his mother and father's killer though...My favorite part of Batman '89 is hearing and seeing Batman say "You killed my parents!"

I think if the DCAU Batman couldn't confront the man who killed his parents directly, he could've at least met the man who killed his parents indirectly. In Batman Begins, Ra's Al Ghul may not have killed Bruce's parents but he orchestrated their deaths. That's why at the end of the movie The Dark Knight says "I won't kill you but I don't have to save you."

Meat Puppet
04-02-2010, 05:49 AM
I will have to agree with Kishi here (there is a girl at my work named Kishi, but I am agreeing with the forum member). I never really liked how in Burton’s Batman it was a young Joker that killed Bruce Wayne’s parents... there seemed something unsatisfying and anticlimactic about that. I guess it’s because if it’s never known who the killer is, then Batman can never actually get revenge, which ends up driving Batman more than anything else. I don’t know.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
04-02-2010, 06:11 AM
But don't you see? It's the perfect way to end Batman's career! If Bruce Wayne catches the man who murdered his parents then he can stop being Batman and that's the kind of ending the original Batman: The Animated Series could've had. It would've been a lot better than seeing Batgirl and Robin team up and Batgirl letting Catwoman go free out of some twisted form of gratitude.

It definitely would've been a better ending to the retooled Batman animated series. Two-Face developing another personality was lame. If you take Abra Kadabra, Zatanna, Phantom Stranger and the Spectre out of Chill of the Night it's a really good Batman episode and it's a fitting end to a Batman series. Who knows? Maybe If Chill of the Night was a B:TAS episode we could've avoided a sequel series like Batman Beyond.

Meat Puppet
04-03-2010, 07:41 AM
I’ve heard of wishful thinking, but that, sir, is insanity.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-03-2010, 06:52 PM
But don't you see? It's the perfect way to end Batman's career! If Bruce Wayne catches the man who murdered his parents then he can stop being Batman and that's the kind of ending the original Batman: The Animated Series could've had.

It wouldn't really feel right for Batman to stop fighting crime just because he'd settled his own personal vendetta, though. What ultimately makes him a hero is that he's not <i>just</i> fighting for himself.