PDA

View Full Version : The dual paradigm shift trick

Future Esthar
04-02-2010, 10:11 PM
I am at chapter 11 and found out that the ATB is usually full after you shift a paradigm.
After performing a queue I tried then to shift again to the same paradigm and it was still full.

This seems to be some kind of flaw that one can explore to oneīs advantage.
Kinda like the w-item trick.

After performing a queue shift to another paradigm and back to the actual one and you donīt need to wait.
It takes time to do this but is fast and considering the large time it takes to perform a queue on chapter 11 it is much faster.

Do becareful though that sometimes the gauge will not be full but almost full.

The mechanics of this are still confused to me but it works 90% of all time.

Forgive me if something is escaping me here.

Hope I have helped:).

demondude
04-02-2010, 10:14 PM
It's not a flaw. There is a hidden second ATB gauge that charges slower than your current one and when you change paradigms the two switch. If you switch paradigms twice immediately you will be back to gauge '1' as it were and it would be uncharged.

Future Esthar
04-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Itīs charged about 90% of all time.

demondude
04-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I can't really explain that but I know that's how the system works. Possibly its affected by haste and because the paradigm shift animations are in real time it charges enough, but I don't know.

Raistlin
04-02-2010, 10:24 PM
It is not always full; if you shift too quickly, you'll be stuck back at the beginning. The trick, which seems to work consistently, is when you first shift a paradigm you'll have a full bar, and then let the bar fill up once more. After that you can paradigm shift, and the bar will be full again. You just have to let the ATB bar fill up once from nothing (basically, take take a full turn under the current paradigm).

No.78
04-02-2010, 10:35 PM
The dual paradigm shift trick is a LIE.

Future Esthar
04-02-2010, 11:19 PM
No Raistlin,if you complete a queue and shift while the gauge is empty and then shift back it will be already full.The cases in which it is not full are just a few.
You can try for example shifting to a paradigm with only one job variation(the fastest) and see for yourself.

It canīt be explained by just saying the gauge fills while you shift.Itīs too fast.

Double shifting means shifting from paradigm A to paradigm B and then back to A.

I hope there is an explanation why itīs not allways full.

VeloZer0
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Or you can think of it this way (assuming you only take actions when the bar is full)

Charge - > Action -> Charge -> Action -> Shift -> Action -> Charge -> Action -> Charge -> Action -> Shift -> Action -> Charge -> Action -> Charge -> Action -> Shift -> Action

As you see you can take 3 Full atb actions for every 2 times you charge the ATB bar.

I sure hope that this isn't a glitch, keeping track of where I am and power shifting is the main thing that keeps battles interesting.

Raistlin
04-02-2010, 11:49 PM
No Raistlin,if you complete a queue and shift while the gauge is empty and then shift back it will be already full.The cases in which it is not full are just a few.
You can try for example shifting to a paradigm with only one job variation(the fastest) and see for yourself.

On your first shift, sure. But the only times when it has not been full for me is if I do two paradigm shifts too close together.

Future Esthar
04-03-2010, 03:11 AM
Yes but charge->action->double shift->action is also possible.
That is what I am talking.Having 2 full atb with 1 charge.

VeloZer0
04-03-2010, 03:24 AM
It is only possible if you do something like

Charge -> Act -> Switch -> Charge -> Act -> Switch. If you switch paradigms every full ATB you will only get a power change every second shift.

Future Esthar
04-03-2010, 04:21 AM
So you are telling me that the second shift will only get a full atb after the first gets it?

That explains a lot.

Raistlin
04-03-2010, 05:06 AM
So you are telling me that the second shift will only get a full atb after the first gets it?

That explains a lot.

... isn't that what I said? I'm confused now.