PDA

View Full Version : When I was, a young boy1

bipper
04-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Yesh. Well. I would like to know what this cruel world was like while you were growing up. While you were wide eyed an innocent.

Seriously. What did you look forward too, which decade do you 'consider' your childhood?

G13
04-03-2010, 08:25 AM
The 90's. Man I miss those days.

When I was a young boy,
My father took me into the city
To see a marching band.

He said, "Son when you grow up,
would you be the savior of the broken,
the beaten and the damned?"
He said "Will you defeat them,
your demons, and all the non-believers,
the plans that they have made?"
"Because one day I'll leave you,
A phantom to lead you in the summer,
To join The Black Parade."

double posting killed the cat. ~Lev

Levian
04-03-2010, 11:46 AM
90s forever!

a living hell full of Macarena, Super Mario World and Power Rangers

Rye
04-03-2010, 11:55 AM
I know every person feels their childhood decade was the best, but things really did seem better in the 90s. I know my parents agree. The economy was great, all sorts of cartoons like Pokemon and Power Rangers and Sailor Moon (Well this was in the US by the 90s) and awesome toys like the skip-it and the Scandinavian pop band Aqua!

Aerith's Knight
04-03-2010, 12:18 PM
My childhood was super mario brothers, Zelda, Wooden sword fighting with my best friend on his dad's farm and soccer against the wall of a grumpy old man's house with my bro and his friends.

NorthernChaosGod
04-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Wtf, Lev? That was me with the song lyrics, not Eric. =\

Levian
04-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Oh geez. xD

I blame it on the similar av and sig!

Madame Adequate
04-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Anyone who said the 90s is a plebian philistine who should be thrown into a pit filled with magma.

The 80s are the most superior decade. The 2030s are going to be awesooooommmmeeeeeee :cool:

The world really was cruel when I was younger, but you all know about that already xD

qwertysaur
04-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I was playing pokemon. I'm still playing pokemon :bigsmile:

Chris
04-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Like many of you, I grew up in the '90s, and it was a swell time. I have so many topics I'd like to touch upon, but here are just a few:

Music

The very, very first musical memory I have is of Sinéad O'Connor's video of "Nothing Compares 2 U". My mother used to tell me how I would ask her why the "woman without hair" was crying, each time the video came on, which was almost all of the time. The Spice Girls... SPICE GIRLS. Everybody like the Spice Girls, and people who say they didn't, are liars. :D

Movies

Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park.

Also, Pokémon. 1998-2010, and I am still playing it. x)

Ashi
04-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't think I remember much before 1990, so I guess this means my childhood was mostly in the 90s. Apparently it was quite colourful, maybe not as colourful as the 80s but still. My childhood pictures before 1998 were all cheerful.

leader of mortals
04-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Well, I was born in 1993, and I don't remember much about my early childhood. All I remember was my Mom worked every weekday so I played video games while my babysitter watched tv. I wouldn't call the 00s my childhood, though, because those days really, really sucked, when I was even more of a social outcast than I am now. I hated Middle School, so, so much.

Brunettepudding
04-03-2010, 08:21 PM
The 90's, definitely. I remember Jurassic Park, Pokemon, and playing Final Fantasy VII on my brand new Playstation in the 2nd grade. I also had cassettes[sp] of Britney Spears and NSYNC, hahaha

NorthernChaosGod
04-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Oh geez. xD

I blame it on the similar av and sig!

I forgive you, just try not to let it happen again. :colbert:

I was born in the late 80s, so I grew up in the 90s and they were amazing. And I never liked the Spice Girls, I just thought some of them were hot. :doublecolbert:

Crop
04-03-2010, 10:45 PM
The very, very first musical memory I have is of Sinéad O'Connor's video of "Nothing Compares 2 U". My mother used to tell me how I would ask her why the "woman without hair" was crying, each time the video came on, which was almost all of the time.

When you actually see tears on her cheeks, they're real. There is a line in the song about her mother, and her mum had died so when she said the line it reminded her of her mother and made her cry. The cameraman was going to cut but the director said keep going. It worked.
That's true btw.

Anyway, the late 90s was my decade. I don't remember much about the culture at the time though. Me and my friends used to just explore the area, build dens, have water fights, play FFVII and generally have fun. They were great days.

Rad Bromance
04-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I know every person feels their childhood decade was the best, but things really did seem better in the 90s. I know my parents agree. The economy was great, all sorts of cartoons like Pokemon and Power Rangers and Sailor Moon (Well this was in the US by the 90s) and awesome toys like the skip-it and the Scandinavian pop band Aqua!
This pretty much sums it up. I consider the 90s my childhood, and I find it very hard to believe anyone who wasn't there would deny that things were better, and not just because of the cartoons; the economy didn't suck, terrorism wasn't a household term, televisions with channels that matched their resolution were still being sold, a 20 oz coke was 99 cents or less...I could go on.

I know everyone thinks the decade they grew up in was the best time the world ever saw, and while I don't think that (God knows the 90s had their problems and were no Utopian time), I sincerely feel the world, from an American perspective at least, was a far more pleasant place at the time.

Jiro
04-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Hux is right the 80s were superior :colbert:

:confused:

rubah
04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
That's right. Take Pumbaa here
Why, when he was a young warthog...

When I was a young wart hog

Very nice

Thanks

He found his aroma lacked a certain appeal
He could clear the savannah after every meal

I'm a sensitive soul though I seem thick-skinned
And it hurt that my friends never stood downwind
And oh, the shame He was ashamed
Thought of changin' my name What's in a name?
And I got downhearted How did ya feel?
Everytime that I...

Hey! Pumbaa! Not in front of the kids!
Oh. Sorry

Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata! Ain't no passing craze

It means no worries for the rest of your days

It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata!
Hakuna Matata! Hakuna matata!
Hakuna Matata! Hakuna--

Moon Rabbits
04-04-2010, 05:54 PM
i was never wide eyed nor innocent.

the 90s has 90210. the end.

Imperfectionist
04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
That's right. Take Pumbaa here
Why, when he was a young warthog...

When I was a young wart hog

Very nice

Thanks

He found his aroma lacked a certain appeal
He could clear the savannah after every meal

I'm a sensitive soul though I seem thick-skinned
And it hurt that my friends never stood downwind
And oh, the shame He was ashamed
Thought of changin' my name What's in a name?
And I got downhearted How did ya feel?
Everytime that I...

Hey! Pumbaa! Not in front of the kids!
Oh. Sorry

Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata! Ain't no passing craze

It means no worries for the rest of your days

It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata!
Hakuna Matata! Hakuna--

Best song of the 90s. I will fight anyone that disagrees.

Zeldy
04-05-2010, 01:57 PM
I was only born in '92 so I was very young during the 90's.. but I think they were the best years to be brought up in. I think a good example is how we had Barbie dolls which were made to look innocent and feminine, and the young girls now have Bratz which are trashy and blargh i really don't like the Bratz dolls xD It was just an all round better time to grow up in really, I'd hate to be young now.

My childhood years really were spent with my hands glued to a game controller (between the mega-drive & n64), it's what happens when you have a brother who's 4 years older and has discovered the wonders of video games and DINOSAURS - he loved dinosaurs, and I ended up doing so too xD I was such a tom boy because of his influence, I've been told I was his "shadow" growing up. Hence my interest in video games today!

Chris
04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I knew you when you were 12. I can't seem to get over that fact. :D

But yes, the '90s were fantastic. I don't really have a bad memory of my childhood in the '90s.

Zeldy
04-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I knew you when you were 12. I can't seem to get over that fact. :D

But yes, the '90s were fantastic. I don't really have a bad memory of my childhood in the '90s.

It's crazy for me too xD I've been on this forum for so long, it's crazy, I turn 18 in two months Chris! I disappeared for awhile though, I've only come back recently.

PaulinasKnight
04-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Definitely the 90's. I was born in '86 (almost '87) so don't really remember much of the 80's but the 90's were everything for me. I was actually kind of distanced from mainstream with a few exceptions. Musically, I only knew about the Spice Girls because my sister and my cousin were obsessed with them and being Mexican my music tastes were generally limited to Selena for the most part. But this was the time when I played video games like crazy, and I played my first Final Fantasy (FF7). And I spent every summer in that decade in Monterrey, Mexico with my grandmother and my cousins from there.

LunarWeaver
04-14-2010, 02:05 AM
I miss seeing people tie flannel shirts around their waist. That was the pinnacle of my happiness.

zeeshan_2011
04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
i am still paying video game.

Rantz
04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
i am still paying video game.

me to

Breine
04-14-2010, 11:20 AM
90s forever!

a living hell full of Macarena, Super Mario World and Power Rangers

Oh yes! 90s it is!