PDA

View Full Version : Character build of the Week-ish

VeloZer0
04-04-2010, 06:53 PM
This is inspired by docta fizz's thread. We all have our favorite classes/combos, but what makes a true FFT player shine is their ability to make do with what they have. So I am starting the character build of the week* competition. Every week I will put a class out there and everyone submits the best build they can think of using the classes strengths.

Rules:
- Only submit builds for the class of the week (duh)
- Builds should include all 5 abilities equiped, and all 5 items equiped
- Only items you can buy in stores are allowed
- Only use abilities learned by generics
- No Math Skill, you know why :p

Optional Rules: (which you may or may not observe to keep the game more interesting):
- No Blade Grasp (NBG), that is just a cop out of a counter ability that works with any class/build
- No Dark Knight abilities (NDK). If you haven't played War of the Lions or are just used to the PSX version.
- No Move+3/Teleport (NMA). Move+3 and Teleport make other move abilities obselete in most circumstances, so you may chose to place them off limit to allow yourself to be more creative with the move ability slot.

And remember, this is a competitive environment. Don't just post your build, write up a paragraph or two to justify it. I don't want this to be a thread were everyone posts their builds and leaves it at that. Lets see some discussion and pick each other's builds apart. (Of course be civil, we are all friends here :D)

*will be updated roughly once a week or whenever the old thread dies, whichever is longer.

---

Class of week one is:
<h4>Archer</h4>
http://www.eyesonff.com/fft/images/class-archer.gif

Skyblade
04-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Original Tactics setups only, or FFTA/A2 setups as well?

Raistlin
04-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I would assume FFT only. There's not really a way to compare different builds from different games.

Also, I am way out of practice for this. xD But I will try to put something together.

qwertysaur
04-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Equipment
Primary Hand: Gastrafitis
Secondary Hand: Crystal Shield
Armor: Black Costume
Helm: Thief Hat
Accessory: Feather Mantle

Abilities
Secondary: Item
Counter: Critical Quick
Passive: Defense Up
Motion: Teleport

:p

VeloZer0
04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
I've never played TA, so it won't be coming from me. I could throw a TA class in every few weeks to spice things up, but someone would have to throw me a list of which ones would be the best to feature. (Underutilized ones)

Zombe, if I could make a suggestion. Why not use Evasion instead of Defense Up? With the Crystal Shield and Feather Mantel equipped you already have 80% Physical Evade from the sides and 40% from the back, as well as 45% magic evade. If you equip Evasion you get 100% Physica Evade from the front and sides, and 80% Physical Evade from the back. As well as 90% magic evade. It is so much fun to see enemies walk up to your character and then not even bother to attack :)

Man, I had completely forgotten about Mantels in this game. They are so broken with Evasion.

---

I couldn't decide between a Crossbow/Time Magic(stop/don't move)/Charge build or a Longbow/Armor Break build. Since the first one posted was a Crossbow one I will go with the break on.

Windslash BowAimUnarmedBattle SkillThief's CapMp SwitchPower GarbConcentrationGerminas BootsIgnore Height
The idea of this archer is to stay as far away from the fray as possible and just break the weapons of human characters. I'm limiting myself from Move+3 and Teleport in this, so I went Ignore Height to allow the archer to get to high ground as quickly as possible. The archer shouldn't be getting hit, as they are to stay off the front lines. I have MP switch just in case a hit gets through. Since I shouldn't need to take any HP damage in a battle I switched Black Clothes for a Power Garb to get +2% more success on breaking items, and a little extra omph if they have to kill anything.

docta fizz
04-06-2010, 10:54 AM
First off I really like this one :D

Primary Artemus Bow (you can buy after poaching)
Unarmed
Thiefs Cap
Ninja Gear
Sprint Shoes

Charge
Basic skill
Hamedo
Concentrate
Move +2

His ridiculous speed boost is better than even a ninja, allows him to stay at the back side of the fight and quickly move in and out of tuff situations, he has lower health than he could so he generally finds a nice quite perch to sit atop and rain death from the sky, fully taking advantage of his charge skill, the artimus bow is powerful with good range. His hamedo counters other archers denying them the chance to shoot him. He also has the squires accumulate in case he is too far from the battle to get a hit in

Kyros
04-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Artemus Bow
unarmed
Thief Cap
Ninja Gear
Chantage

charge/aim
art of war (or w/e the knight ability set was called)
hp restore
concentrate
ignore height

I don't know why you'd consider not using a girl if trying to point out bests for a character/class build since imo the best accessory in the game in almost all cases is the incredible chantage perfume. For an archer I would use ignore height to keep distance (since here teleport is restricted). With the chantage and hp restore the archer would rarely ever have problems staying alive. She could also use the knight abilities to destroy all of the opponent's gear and stats, giving her the battle even w/o the need of many of her other abilities.

Shotgunnova
04-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Ultimus Bow
Crystal Shield
Thief Hat
Robe of Lords
Seteimson

Charge
Dance
Sunken State
Defense UP
Fly

I initially had a sweet Slasher/Jump/Equip Axe setup, but I s'pose that's not in the spirit of the class. Anywho, being able to start in and regain Transparent status has its advantages, basically allowing for unavoidable, unretaliatory shots. It can also allow for a ridiculous trick where, if triggered while dancing, the archer can continue to dance invisibly, effectively debilitating any enemies from the safety -- when everyone's a frog, she emerges to kill. With Teleport blocked, Fly's the next-best alternative and quite useful for getting to high ground or away from the pack. The only downside is HP regeneration, but it probably won't be that important in a preemptive one-on-one situation (crappy brave nonwithstanding).