PDA

View Full Version : Eyes on The Music

Yar
04-04-2010, 07:57 PM
This thread will have many topics, so bear with me.

I started playing the piano in January. I am in love with it. I am more passionate about it everyday. I had always wanted to play but I never had the chance until getting to college. But now, my professor is telling me that I am picking it up very quickly and she is impressed that I have made this much progress in 2 1/2 months. She also told me that she really wants me to take her class next year, and I'm like "yeah I was hoping to. :love:"

Anyway, I have a recital this Thursday, and I'm really excited about it. I'm playing a small piece (that you can find on my Facebook) and I'm confident that I can play it for an audience. For some reason, I'm much more nervous at home that I am when I'm playing in front of someone. :) But I really wanted to learn to play for my own enjoyment rather than for people to hear, although that's just a plus!

So, I would definitely call myself a beginner, but I'm not like newbie-style. I love my piano. :p

Do you play an instrument? How long have you been playing and how good are you? What are some of your favorite songs to play? Do you like playing for people? Also, do you have any rituals that you practice before or after you play? :p

Tavrobel
04-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Do you play an instrument? How long have you been playing and how good are you? What are some of your favorite songs to play? Do you like playing for people? Also, do you have any rituals that you practice before or after you play? :p

I used to play the piano. I don't much these days, but if I cared enough to pick it back up, it wouldn't be very difficult.

Ten years or so. I started at seven, took a break for a year, and stopped at eighteen. I was forced into lessons, because I'm Asian.

Anything that isn't contemporary music. I hate grace notes; jazz and modern music make too much use of rhythm breakers.

No, I do not like playing for people.

Yeah, I let out a giant "smurf I hate doing this" then start playing. I'm pretty good at sightreading, so I learn on request.

PureMourning
04-04-2010, 08:12 PM
I love music!

I primarily play the drums. I got my first drum set in 4th grade and I've been playing since (about 12 years). I like to play a variety including: jazz (swing), latin, funk, rock, and alternative.

I started fiddling around with the guitar a year and a half ago. This was a sporadic decision and I don't focus a lot of practice time here.

Though, I did pick up the violin 2 months ago after having the long desire to. Its very challenging but rewarding! I have a long ways to go on this one.

I get a little bit of nerves but all in all I love performing on stage.

NorthernChaosGod
04-05-2010, 07:33 AM
I play guitar, bass and drums. I picked up guitar about nine or ten years ago, bass the next year, and drums the year after that.

Guitar is my main instrument, I'd say I'm fairly good if a bit rusty lately. I can still write a mean tune though. :cool: My favorite stuff to play is probably some nice thrash like early Metallica and Megadeth. I also enjoy playing fast death metal and classical stuff too.

Bass I'm decent enough at. I mostly like funk bass or just anything with lots of slap and pop playing.

Drums are probably my second best instrument, I'd say I'm good. I like anything fast with lots of double bass and/or blast beats or more mid-tempo stuff that's syncopated or fairly complex.

Pheesh
04-05-2010, 07:38 AM
I've played drums for so long that I don't actually remember learning to play them. I've just had a drum kit in my room since before I can remember. So that's my main instrument.

I've played guitar about 3 or 4 years now, and I've been playing piano since last Christmas. The piano is simply amazing, I've fallen in love with it as well.