PDA

View Full Version : I've met dozens of eoffers...

Peegee
04-04-2010, 10:37 PM
..and I have no idea why this is a normal thing. Do people in forums regularly meet each other 'IRL' or do they usually stay online friends?

I ask because I have always been in online social constructs where the idea of meeting up was a possibility which never happens. For example I used to know somebody from starcraft 1 who live(d)(s) in the city south of me. I could visit the person any time, but never did. I did meet my friend Max from Montreal but that's only because he happened to come to Toronto when I was free. I let him stay the night at my place (not sure where he would've ended up otherwise)

Then there's the piles of eoffers I've met. Granted they were in huge meetups of 5+ people but STILL is that normal? Or is EoFF just that friendly a place?

I remember Rubahs talking about another irc chan she used to go to. I forget if they had meetups or not or what. OH WELL

Raistlin
04-04-2010, 10:41 PM
I think it's simply that the more people you gather together for an increasing length of time, the more likely it will be some of them will get friendly enough to want to meet up. EoFF is pretty big now and has been around for over 10 years, so I don't think it's unusual.

qwertysaur
04-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I think EoFF is just a very friendly place full of love and zombies :zombie:

Rantz
04-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I've never been to another online community where the members organise meetups at all. When it has happened, it has been maybe two people happening to be in the same area at the same time and for that reason having lunch and maybe taking a picture together.

Brunettepudding
04-04-2010, 11:09 PM
I've met two online people in my life, one was a boyfriend, the other was my best friend for a while. Never been to a forum where they really talked about it. o:

Agent Proto
04-04-2010, 11:16 PM
I never went to an EoFF meeting, but I think I would like to. I did however, went to a meeting for another forum, which is kinda funny seeing that I'm not really a known member there. I went because the meeting just happened to be really close to where I live, so I went!

Raistlin
04-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Rantz makes a good point that EoFF does have a tradition of talking about large meetups. This was largely thanks to the happenstance of there being a ton of SoCal members 10 years ago (resulting in Mills Day) and has since spread much farther afield. So maybe EoFF is fairly unique in that respect.

rubah
04-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I think eoff has this unique trait because Cid originally had a lot of local friends around, didn't he? So that was kinda an ice-breaker as far as other groups doing it. After all, I think the first Mills Day was in southern California! Once other people do it, those who didn't might start to have the idea "well, i guess all these internet people aren't murderers or pedophiles after all" and feel more comfortable with it themselves

Jessweeee♪
04-04-2010, 11:20 PM
EoFF is unusually close-knit. Mogi was just telling me the other day about how it's one of the reasons for our low newbie-retention rate!

No.78
04-04-2010, 11:21 PM
If I had a good forum friend who lived nearby I would definitely go and meet them!

Usually my online friends live miles and miles away and I simply cannot afford the money or time. =\

Parker
04-05-2010, 12:03 AM
There's kind of a weird stigma about people meeting from online. I think it's less of an issue due to the popularity of internet dating and so on, but it's still there. It's seen as weird or dangerous. I have two people I know purely over the internet and they're my most trusted friends. One I met last year and it was seen as a big deal for my "irl" friends who thought I was about to get murdered or something. It's silly.

Rye
04-05-2010, 12:36 AM
It has a weird stigma for most people, and it really pisses me off. It's not dangerous if you actually talk to the person before, especially on a forum. You have to have a brain. After all, anyone you meet can lie and be a dangerous person, no matter how and where you meet them. But if you don't interact with anyone because they might hurt you, you'll be alone and miserable. I don't tell any of my friends I met Hux online, because I just don't want to deal with the headache of "OMG WTF THAT'S WEIRD YOU CAN'T LOVE SOMEONE LIKE THAT."

I've never gone to a large meet up. I thought it was a normal thing on forums, but it's not, apparently. EoFF is pleasantly close in many different ways. The only people I met online are Huxley and Paul.

Aerith's Knight
04-05-2010, 12:41 AM
EoFF members are just attractive enough to actually walk around in public, especially in large groups due to the "Cheerleader Effect; The Bridesmaid Paradox; Sorority Girl Syndrome, and, for a short time in the 90's, the Spice Girls conspiracy.

Rye
04-05-2010, 12:47 AM
There's never large groups of girls meeting up, though! The most are like, 3 girls to 5 guys, I think. It's because a lot of girls here don't like other girls because they're full of jealousy and anger! It's kind of lame. Bring on my eventual California trip to SoCal to see Monda and Shluppers and Miriel if she wants to see me and all the other SoCal ladies!

Freya
04-05-2010, 01:19 AM
I would love to meet more eoffers but for me at least I've always lived in the most unlikely spot for eoffers so I'd have had to travel super far. Recently the OKC meetup was closer to me but the others had to go far to get to me! So I think it's a little bit harder for the US eoffers at least cause we're so spread out.

UK might be a little easier that's why they seem to have one almost annually even if it's just like 4 of them! Just much easier to get around over there I think due to the size.

Jessweeee♪
04-05-2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah, no one wants to travel to or from South Texas. I mean, it's eight to ten hours just to get out of the state!

Freya
04-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Hey I have friends down near houston :D YOU NEVER KNOW JESS!

Jessweeee♪
04-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Even Houston is very far from my hometown! I got to school in San Marcos and it's like four hours away from my house!

Citizen Bleys
04-05-2010, 02:03 AM
There is no way I will ever go to the United States, so meeting people from online is largely a no-go. I do work with one former EoFF'er, although I can't remember his forum name because it was dumb. I've also gone drinking with one of my buddies from FFXI a couple of times.

Miriel
04-05-2010, 02:12 AM
Almost every forum I've been a part of has had meetups between the members. The main forum I visit besides EoFF has casual meetups like every other day and a annual convention every year. I think it's just the natural course of things that if you have a group of people with common interests online, that's gonna eventually translate to offline meetings too.

There's never large groups of girls meeting up, though! The most are like, 3 girls to 5 guys, I think. It's because a lot of girls here don't like other girls because they're full of jealousy and anger! It's kind of lame. Bring on my eventual California trip to SoCal to see Monda and Shluppers and Miriel if she wants to see me and all the other SoCal ladies!

Totally up for it! ;D

Let's go to Disneyland!

Shiny
04-05-2010, 02:22 AM
If the meet-up will involve me traveling and having fun then I'd be all over it, but I wouldn't hang if it was with a group of people I don't talk to frequently. With that said, I've met with a few people on here, but mostly because they lived close to me, or I knew them already before joining EoFF. I am interested in going to Cali, so who knows.

Rye
04-05-2010, 02:37 AM
I would love to meet more eoffers but for me at least I've always lived in the most unlikely spot for eoffers so I'd have had to travel super far. Recently the OKC meetup was closer to me but the others had to go far to get to me! So I think it's a little bit harder for the US eoffers at least cause we're so spread out.

UK might be a little easier that's why they seem to have one almost annually even if it's just like 4 of them! Just much easier to get around over there I think due to the size.

That is true. It's kind of surprising, but there's hardly any EoFFers in the downstate NY area. I've almost met one older EoFFer in Manhattan once but I had to switch plans, and I've been meaning to visit one of The Captain's concerts and hang out with him because we seriously live only minutes away and I worked down the block from a relative of his, but we've never gotten around to it since he's busy being really awesome and successful (seriously, he's doing some amazing things in Manhattan) and I'm never in one place for more than a few months before I'm off to another state or country. I'm so down for getting coffee with an EoFFer who visits Manhattan. Maybe when elsie and I are city buddies? ;;

Freya
04-05-2010, 02:59 AM
You know it seems like there are a lot of Ohio people so I dunno why those cats don't meet up. I swear I meet more people online from Ohio than any other state. But yeah I rarely meet someone from NY and that's suppose to be one of the largely populated states!

Jiro
04-05-2010, 03:07 AM
The active Aussies all live too far apart. Except I think ee, Mo Nercy and Lancealot all live in Sydney. Face lives in Sydney too. WHY ARE YOU NOT MEETING UP.

I tried to meet with Mitto, didn't really work. He just sort of watched me from afar xD

It doesn't seem like a common thing (meet ups) but I don't think it's overly weird

Pheesh
04-05-2010, 03:11 AM
I don't know if there's ever been an Australian meet up, but even if there was, I live on the other side of Australia to most people (the only person I knew on here who lived in my state was Rusty; we actually lived in the exact same town, but I didn't find out till after she was inactive). But I have plans to move over east in a year or so, so maybe then I'll be able to meet someone from on the forums.

As far as meeting people online in general goes, I don't think I ever have. But one weird thing I find is that with certain people I can be much funnier on an IM or something like that, so I've probably created a few friendships with people I know irl by the way I speak to them on a chat service.

EDIT: Nope, sorry Jiro, WA for me.

Marshall Banana
04-05-2010, 03:14 AM

Totally up for it! ;D

Let's go to Disneyland!
Hopefully, I'll be in the position to demand a ransom for Rye! One Miriel-made meal in exchange for one day with Rye is what I'm thinking.

qwertysaur
04-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Jiro, I'll kidnap you and bring you to the States ;)

Bunny
04-05-2010, 03:19 AM

Totally up for it! ;D

Let's go to Disneyland!

Can I come to Disneyland?

Rye
04-05-2010, 03:25 AM

Totally up for it! ;D

Let's go to Disneyland!
Hopefully, I'll be in the position to demand a ransom for Rye! One Miriel-made meal in exchange for one day with Rye is what I'm thinking.

I've never been to Disney anywhere before! That's exactly where I want to go when I go to California.

The question is just when we all can be there. I'm hoping for next summer! :excited:

JKTrix
04-05-2010, 03:28 AM
I've only met a few people from here (including PG) and I've texted back and forward with a few more, but I really only keep in regular contact with two EoFFers now.

When I went to the Tokyo Game Show in Japan, I ran into a guy who went to another large forum I frequent but never interacted with him directly. I had the opportunity to meet with some online folks I kinda knew the last couple of weekends at PAX East and Anime Boston, but I couldn't afford the trip. I'd probably like to meet more people while I'm still in the US--I'm not too concerned about the danger of it. I'm a pretty big guy, the people I meet would more likely be afraid of me.

I wonder if that's why Rye never took me shopping while she was in Rhode Island...? :P

Marshall Banana
04-05-2010, 03:29 AM

Totally up for it! ;D

Let's go to Disneyland!

I've never been to Disney anywhere before! That's exactly where I want to go when I go to California.

The question is just when we all can be there. I'm hoping for next summer! :excited:
Summer 2010 or summer 2011?

I should be in California during the first week of August (this year) again. I don't think I'm ready to leave my home yet, so, for now, I just intend to visit for a week.

Jiro
04-05-2010, 03:31 AM
I think Kent (Cbc) lives in Perth, ee.

Well let us know when you're on the east coast, we can try and hit up the Gold Coast and go to the parks there for a weekend of fun or something. See if we can force kerrod down from up north and get the others to road trip it up or something. Markus D and Mitto just need to wait on the Goldy xD

Pheesh
04-05-2010, 03:36 AM
Yeah, flights between eastern states are actually really cheap atm. I think it's something like 50-100 dollars from Melbourne to QLD, which would be handy.

Rye
04-05-2010, 03:37 AM
2011. I think I only really have time and money for one trip this summer, and it's to see the leprechaun, hopefully for my birthday unless my parents get upset about me choosing him instead of them to spend my 20th birthday with and guilt me until leaving in July, which I could easily see them doing for some reason. It's not like we do anything more than have a quick meal at TGIF for my birthday. In England, I'll be able to spend time with my boyfriend and my friends and do my 20th birthday up in style! I seriously won't be able to bear spending another birthday doing nothing. It's so depressing!

In 2011, Hux and I will probably have more money between the two of us so we'll both be able to fly out for a nice vacation together to Cali for two weeks. Besides, I'd rather go when you guys are actually living together. I'd feel really bad for Jeremy if I swept you away for the few days he sees you a year~~~ :kaohappy2

Marshall Banana
04-05-2010, 03:55 AM
Cool. Cool. We can make big plans then!

Goldenboko
04-05-2010, 04:09 AM
There are tons of EoFFers I'd love to meet! Many are real possibilities!

I'd like to meet Rye some time she's back visiting us Northeastern Americans!
I'd like to visit Tavrobel so we can discuss make the brains of children implode.
I'd like to visit Leen-Leen sometime when I coop in California. :jess:
I'd like to meet both Momiji and Yars at the same time, so I can go, "Justin! Not you. The real Justin." :love:
I'd like to see Dynast-Kid in the flesh, but I don't get to see him in the non-flesh :|

qwertysaur
04-05-2010, 04:28 AM
We should plan a NE meetup and all actually go this time! :zombie:

Goldenboko
04-05-2010, 04:31 AM
Make it in Boston or I'll be a no show. Just throwin' that out there.

Miriel
04-05-2010, 04:34 AM

Disneyland -> Road trip to San Francisco -> Home cooked Miriel-made meal!

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-05-2010, 04:36 AM
Canada is so big and our population is so spread out that it makes it hard. :/ I think there was a Toronto meet-up once, or there was supposed to be, I can't remember the details, just remembered that in the end I couldn't afford to! :/

As for other sites? There was only one that I really frequented and we never had meet-ups but I met one person cuz she lived in the same town as one of my relatives I was visiting at the time.

I haven't met up with many EoFFers, only one, so it'd be cool to go to a big meet-up but at the moment can't really afford it unless I want to break my budget and max out my credit card. :x

Oh, I will be going to Anime North 2010 this year with some friends, so if any EoFFers will be there and want to hit me up, message me~

Yar
04-05-2010, 04:39 AM
Look, there is usually drinking at EoFF meetups.

Rye
04-05-2010, 04:46 AM
Hux, Paul and I didn't drink during either of our two meet ups, I think! We did eat kangaroo though, if that's worth anything. :lol:

Dignified Pauper
04-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Impromptu Meetup 2007 was the best meetup planned in 24 hours.

rubah
04-05-2010, 05:41 AM
You know it seems like there are a lot of Ohio people so I dunno why those cats don't meet up. I swear I meet more people online from Ohio than any other state. But yeah I rarely meet someone from NY and that's suppose to be one of the largely populated states!

Midwest meetups are often doomed to failure xD It also takes four hours to drive anywhere, and once you're there, there's nothing to do!

(R.I.P. CST 2006!)

I'm still mad at Marick for FAILing to meetup with me and Shoeberto all those years ago, too xD

Psychotic
04-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Whatever happened to that Vegas meetup?

qwertysaur
04-05-2010, 05:44 AM
what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas :p

rubah
04-05-2010, 05:54 AM
well, you guys kinda went Communist Eraser on Tama2, and he was the second instigator, soooooo

Shlup
04-05-2010, 06:02 AM
I think you just love me, peej.

NorthernChaosGod
04-05-2010, 07:43 AM
I DEMAND A SOCAL MEETUP.

Really, you guys are cool and I like you people. We should hang out.

Yar
04-05-2010, 07:45 AM
I DEMAND A SOCAL MEETUP.

Really, you guys are cool and I like you people. We should hang out.Hey what happened to our plans. :redface:

Yeah and Vegas 2010... ummmm Disaster 2010. If anyone wants Eyes on Debauchery 2011 I'm down. Let's just go on or after the thirtieth of June. :D

Iceglow
04-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Meetups in the UK are somewhat easier it's true, though not many like the usual location picked because Birmingham is so central to the uk's rail network it's a common choice to make otherwise you get some who have no travel at all to make and others who travel miles and miles and miles to get there spending a fortune. Birmingham makes sense and this is something important for all meetups, when most people are paying the same for their travel and journeying about the same time duration you're much more likely to get attendance from people because they're not alone in their 6 hour £150 train ride. However, Jack did not help us when he set the ridiculous rule about under 18's needing parental permission, he kinda alienated a lot of the newer UK members with that. I know Zeldy for one now pretty much won't go to one even though under his rules she wouldn't even need the permission. He set the rule because he's paranoid about people's parents claiming paedophillia about him which to be fair he wants to be a teacher you can kinda see his point. His career would be over on a rumour much less an allegation. However I have to point out, Jack is a very inactive member and has very little time in his busy student life to come see even his friends amongst us. His rule on parental permission is null and void without him enforcing it.

The rest of us are less bothered by the younger members, sure I prefer for people to be able to get in to a pub with us and drink if thats their choice but I'm not overly fussed about it we can change the plans to suit the needs of the many.

On saturday just gone it was basically, me, Paul and Loki (and phils other half) who met up in Brum, we would have liked more members to come but the original oldbie group who done the meetups are all off doing their own things now, Kaggas got preggers, Amratis is busy with boyfriend and such living down in cornwall, Zorander is a live in carer for an autistic child and so on and so on. Paul, Loki and myself barely counts as an eoff meetup, thats just a meet up of 3 friends who happen to live in different parts of the country, we're all pretty good friends offline and on and so even if I was in brum for any other reasons I could ask Paul if he wanted to get a train down to meet me, I could equally go manchester and bug Loki and they've both done the same to me in London.

I wouldn't mind a big meetup of UK members going ahead at some point either later this year (like late summer perhaps) or early next year because that'd be awesome this time involving as many UK members as we possibly could. However I know from personal bitter experience of not being able to get time off from work to go meet Rye or Hux during her time here that I can say this all I like but it's still going to need a lot more planning to get it to work.

As for the original topic are meetups a common occurence on the net? Well, no I don't believe they are. After all the stigmata of "meeting someone from the internet" has not gone away, it's died down for some reason with the increase in popularity of the dating site as a way to meet new partners however it has only gone down in relation to this. However when you say "actually I know this guy/girl from like a different site not a dating site" people still freak out. Funny how even when someone has given you their facebook profile it's still considered strange to meet them. Facebook is a lot more revealing than a dating site. Theres always been things like protests arranged online but thats not the same. About the closest thing to a meetup is players of online games I frequent who know each other irl meeting up and playing from the same network ect to co-ordinate a raid better.

No.78
04-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Yay UK meetup!!

But, I don't know anyone. :(

Aerith's Knight
04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Next one, I'm there.

Iceglow
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Yay UK meetup!!

But, I don't know anyone. :(

Thats kinda the point, when we first done the meetups we'd hung on EoFF for a couple of years but didn't really know these cool cats who were hanging out online and so we decided to make it real and do it irl. We had a few prior to the one I first went to mainly because I wasn't actually active on EoFF for those couple of years (read real life got mad and messy) When I went to my first, I knew of plenty of the members going, however I didn't know them that well with the exclusion of Baloki and Psychotic who have always been 2 of my best spamming partners in this forum (yeah crazy I know, they went and gave one of their biggest spammers admin rights xD) back in the early days.

My first meetup was kinda seen as "the best meetup ever" we had like 20 of us show, mostly for the weekend but even for just one day counted we understood some people could not afford or would not like to share hotel rooms with freaks from the net. The second one I attended and helped to arrange though in reality Jack done all the actual organising, I just did drinking actually lasted a day extra since the hotel rooms cost like £10 more for the extra night we usually didn't use.

I'm sure there are some members who have been to a UK meetup and didn't know us at all who would definitely agree that they're pretty cool events I know Reload Psi came to the 3 day meetup and thought he was going to have a crap time because he "didn't know us" and yet he had a real laugh. Sure we're tight knit with our in jokes but we're always welcoming and an in joke can always be explained. Though for most of them you just have to have
been there to get the funny side of it but we're willing to include new people all the time.

Edit: Dennis you better bloody come, I got to teabag you irl.

Jiro
04-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm

Zeldy
04-05-2010, 01:34 PM
The only people I'd consider really meeting up with is the Scottish folk, Bawb, Shauna, Smitten. I turn 18 in 2 months, but it's just not possible for me to pack up and go to Edinburgh for a week, my parents would be so angry I think I'd come home to my clothes being in the street. It's different for a girl, my parents would be totally baffled by it and would not allow me to go as they're crazy-strict-psycho parents like that. So that isn't looking too likely for me, and a day trip would cost me a bomb and would mostly be travelling! One of my friends is applying for the University of Glasgow, if she gets accommodation there then I'd be able to visit her and visit Bob!

I find the fact that the same people meetup everytime really intimidating xD I really wouldn't like to go to an EoFF meetup, as there would be people I didn't know, and I'm crazy shy irl. I kinda keep myself to myself these days on eoff, i'm past be-friending everyone, i find it rather.. cheesy sometimes.

Iceglow
04-05-2010, 02:39 PM
I find the fact that the same people meetup everytime really intimidating xD I really wouldn't like to go to an EoFF meetup, as there would be people I didn't know, and I'm crazy shy irl. I kinda keep myself to myself these days on eoff, i'm past be-friending everyone, i find it rather.. cheesy sometimes.

Just remember Zeldy, we don't bite unless you want us to xD

All kidding aside yeah I can see how some well established members meeting up regulary such as myself, psychotic and baloki can seem intimidating, however people need to realize, we're just like we are on the forums, except maybe a lot more vulgar (because real life doesn't get a swear filter duh) I know everyone has a "net personality" they keep however with us on here at least it's purely us no hidden bits or whatever.

Madonna
04-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I was always told a friend was a friend, so does it matter where you met them!?

I am going on a roadtrip this May and hopefully meet a few online friends, some offline ones who moved far and wide, and a branch of my family long estranged! It promises for a lot of interest and excitement!

Aerith's Knight
04-05-2010, 03:21 PM

Do it and lose it.

Peegee
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
I think you just love me, peej.

Maybe. I'm probably never going to visit California ever again and I have two cousins there (who visit me every year so there's even less incentive). Which is a damned shame because everybody from EoFF is so awesome there.

There's something else I noticed that was never brought up (well briefly by Rye) - the cost of these darn meetups. The Chicago meetup cost me a couple hundred dollars and the NYC trip was totally not worth it - I stayed for a combined 16-18 hours which was almost 1/2 the travel time - so 1/3 in NYC and 2/3 on the road. And it cost me a pretty penny because of the speeding ticket I got on the way back.

It totally changed my perception of meetups until nearly a year later when I visited Rubahs. Now it's all :love: as long as I'm not driving ^_^

Raistlin
04-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Bunny forgot the cardinal rule of never planning a meetup too far in advance because then everyone forgets.

Jess
04-05-2010, 06:15 PM
I've only met, BoB, Danielle, Paul and Lev!

I have to go back to Edinburgh to see BoB and Danielle sometime... as Daniel keeps reminding me! :jess:

cloud21zidane16
04-05-2010, 10:29 PM
I've never been to a meetup but would be up for it if I got talking to someone enough:) I think meetups seem a lot more common on here as this is a very friendly and trusted site compared to other forums.

NorthernChaosGod
04-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I DEMAND A SOCAL MEETUP.

Really, you guys are cool and I like you people. We should hang out.Hey what happened to our plans. :redface:

Yeah and Vegas 2010... ummmm Disaster 2010. If anyone wants Eyes on Debauchery 2011 I'm down. Let's just go on or after the thirtieth of June. :D

What plans? o_O

fire_of_avalon
04-06-2010, 02:25 AM
I have met 0 EoFFers. I would like to meet some and go to a meet-up, but I am kind of shy that I am not as cool in person as I am on the internet. That is sad.

Raistlin
04-06-2010, 02:33 AM
I'm not buying it, foa. Where are you nowadays, anyway?

I forgot to mention the EoFFers I've met: Jojo (twice), Lynx, and Lynx's wife (did she ever register? I know she's in chat a lot). I'm not one for big meetups, but if one's convenient enough and enough people will be there that I actually care about, then I'd be willing. My meetups so far have been a one-on-one (or one-on-two) thing.

Shlup
04-06-2010, 02:36 AM
I thought the Vegas meet-up wasn't for another month or two anyway.

Yar
04-06-2010, 02:46 AM
When I went with Joy to Sandusky it wasn't like "oh hey Yars wanna go to Sandusky with me? n_n" it was "so, when will you be ready to bike with me to Sandusky n_n"

It's a good thing I love Joy xD

fire_of_avalon
04-06-2010, 02:50 AM
WNC again. And seriously. I'm quieter in normal life. It's weird. Don't come see me go away.

Raistlin
04-06-2010, 03:08 AM
Haha, it's ok, you're probably a good... 5 hours away? Something fairly large. But we should totally have a mid-east meetup at some point, especially when Lynx and Clarissa are in town (in Maryland).

Bunny
04-06-2010, 05:54 AM

Bunny forgot the cardinal rule of never planning a meetup too far in advance because then everyone forgets.

I was actually banking on that rule. I do not talk to anyone regularly enough outside of the forums to warrant wanting to meet them anytime soon. Besides, if I met anyone then they would know me.

I thought the Vegas meet-up wasn't for another month or two anyway.

Everyone wanted it to be towards the end of May or early June. I'll probably be going there sometime around there. City-wide hide and seek.

Loony BoB
04-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I find myself tending to meet up with people from EoFF whilst not meeting up with people from elsewhere purely due to the feeling that people here are more honest and 'real', as in... you get to know people on a personal level rather than, for example, at a FPS forum I would expect to find mostly people talking about "macho" things non-stop. The fact there are so many girls here compared to most other general gaming forums helps, too. JRPG's seem to have a larger appeal to most females out there than other genres, so I guess there's that.

I've met a buttload of you and intend on meeting more of you in the future, and some of you again and again! I've met some really awesome people, I gotta say, and I would love to meet some of them on a weekly basis if it were possible, but it's not, so I don't, and that's that!

If Danielle and I ever get married, I would not be surprised if at least a dozen EoFFers somehow managed to come, if not more. Having some of my family registered here helps. :p

Jess has to come back to Edinburgh to meet me and Danielle sometime... as I keep reminding her! :jess:

Aerith's Knight
04-06-2010, 03:53 PM
You coming to the next UK meetup BoB?

Loony BoB
04-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Unlikely if it's within the next couple of months. Beyond that, I wouldn't count me out. Depends on the cost involved in getting there and how long the meetup will last, who else is going, etc.

Jiro
04-06-2010, 04:05 PM
If you post the date and location of your wedding (everybody) I'll try my damnedest to be there :jess:

Loony BoB
04-06-2010, 04:09 PM
xD It won't be for a while. No rush!

Breine
04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Nope, haven't met any eoffers. Except for one of my friends that I forced to join some years ago, but that doesn't count.

But hey, I'd love to go out with some eoffers. That'd be cool! xD

41-Inches-Wide
04-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I haven't :( not one.

I Don't Need A Name
04-09-2010, 05:59 PM
I haven't met up with any either. But I would love to go to one of the meetups sometime.

Either that, or I'm gonna attack Quin at uni...