PDA

View Full Version : IKEA

Rye
04-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Everyone loves it, just like all the other Swedish things that have come to be recognized internationally, like Abba and Rantzien's eyebrows. What kind of things have you bought there? Post some pix if you can.

I'm going IKEA shopping sometime this week. My goal is to get a small desk, a small black rug, chair, and a storage bin system to go underneath the desk to create a small sewing station in my room for under $150 dollars. I wonder if I can do it! I sure hope I can; I'm tired of my sewing stuff being all over the house and in the way. The black carpet will be nice too, since it means I'll be able to see stray threads better so I can clean up faster.

Tavrobel
04-05-2010, 03:04 AM
I bought my current coffee table, my TV stand, and several lamps from IKEA. I don't think you'll be able to find all of those things for < $150 total and have it look good. But if you don't care about color or pattern coordination, then it can be done.

But my favorite purchase is the Swedish Meatballs at the cafeteria.

Miriel
04-05-2010, 03:11 AM
Our apartment is almost entirely furnished by Ikea. I'm typing this on a desk from ikea, while sitting in a chair from ikea, and illuminated by an ikea lamp.

Del Murder and I go there just for fun sometimes since it's just down the street. Oh and to eat in their cafeteria. :greenie:

Rye
04-05-2010, 03:19 AM
I bought my current coffee table, my TV stand, and several lamps from IKEA. I don't think you'll be able to find all of those things for < $150 total and have it look good. But if you don't care about color or pattern coordination, then it can be done.

But my favorite purchase is the Swedish Meatballs at the cafeteria.

It's only the desk and the chair that I'm really picky about. The desk has to be a certain hue of light wood, because it'll be put next to my other desk that has my fish tank and TV on it, and if the two are mismatching colors it'll drive me up the wall. The fabric bins can be easily bought in target, and I'm pretty sure we have a black rug somewhere. The chair doesn't need to be a specific color as long as it's something that doesn't clash with orange or green (I'd prefer an orange chair, but a black chair works as well) but it has to be something that is at least partially comfy, because I'll be spending hours in it when I do bigger projects. It's just that desk... I found something for about 40 dollars that seems promising on the website, but I still need to measure the space to see if it'd fit. I have a very limited amount of space! I pine for an office room!

Tavrobel
04-05-2010, 03:52 AM
It's only the desk and the chair that I'm really picky about. The desk has to be a certain hue of light wood, because it'll be put next to my other desk that has my fish tank and TV on it, and if the two are mismatching colors it'll drive me up the wall. The fabric bins can be easily bought in target, and I'm pretty sure we have a black rug somewhere. The chair doesn't need to be a specific color as long as it's something that doesn't clash with orange or green (I'd prefer an orange chair, but a black chair works as well) but it has to be something that is at least partially comfy, because I'll be spending hours in it when I do bigger projects. It's just that desk... I found something for about 40 dollars that seems promising on the website, but I still need to measure the space to see if it'd fit. I have a very limited amount of space! I pine for an office room!

Go with black. Everything matches with black. Even black. I've found that even when you match desks and chairs, it can get fairly uncomfortable sitting at the chair while working at the desk. It only gets worse if you mix and match them based on price and color. If the person who you're shopping with is nice enough, it's okay to be freakishly obsessive. You are going to be using it for a lot.

And no, you should not be buying :bou::bou::bou::bou: by yourself. Even I know not to buy furniture by myself.

But you're also talking to the guy that uses his coffee table as a workspace, dinner table, footrest, and general whirling mess of entropy. The universe suffers heat death every time I see my own table, and those are just the good days.

Shlup
04-05-2010, 06:04 AM
I have a $20 nightstand from IKEA and some Christmas ornaments that were like a quarter a piece after Christmas. My friends and I like to browse and eat lunch there. It's fun!

Bunny
04-05-2010, 06:07 AM
I wish I could go to IKEA :(

Del Murder
04-05-2010, 06:08 AM
IKEA is awesome. Like Miriel said, our entire apartment is IKEA.

NorthernChaosGod
04-05-2010, 07:36 AM
I have a dresser from IKEA and I hate it. I hate IKEA. :mad2:

Rantz
04-05-2010, 10:08 AM
They have lots of good deals, but I find it so exhausting to go there because they make the thing like a maze and you have to go through the whole thing unless you manage to find one of the Super Secret Shortcuts™. My computer desk is from there, though. And some other stuff.

demondude
04-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I like stealing their little wooden pencils. :blush:

Iceglow
04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I need to go to Ikea but I'm being lazy about it, theres 2 that I can go to but both are around 45 min bus ride away or 25 - 30 by car however I don't drive so can't really have it easy, I also would need either a delivery to my door which costs or a cab which also costs.

Zeldy
04-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I've only ever been like once! I got one of those wooden men thats arms and legs move about, like what an artist would use. It lost an arm though.

Chris
04-05-2010, 01:57 PM
All of the IKEAS I have been in, have been disgustingly enormous. For some reason, I always get a heachache whenever I visit IKEA. I like it, though. Great stuff, and their cafeteria is insanely inexpensive. :D

Levian
04-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm sitting in a chair from IKEA now. I bought a couple shelves and a chair from ikea when I moved away from home. I'd buy more stuff from there if only it wasn't so far away from home or I had a car.

I think IKEA definitely have become more classy in the last decade, so that's good.

Jess
04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
When I move out, my flat is probably going to be entirely furnished by IKEA. I like it! and the prices aren't through the roof so it makes me happy. :jess:

Meat Puppet
04-05-2010, 02:40 PM
IKEA:
ah the memories

Peegee
04-05-2010, 04:10 PM
IKEA is either very expensive for what you get or very cheap for what you pay for. At least in my experience. That's not to say I don't completely l:love::love: the place to shreds.

God I want to go shopping at IKEA now Jess. Jerk. I need um...a new everything. Especially for my closet.

kotora
04-05-2010, 04:17 PM
I find the quality of IKEA products to be pretty poor. I've had this desk for like half a year and the paint is already coming off on the edges, without me doing anything weird besides resting my arms on it. The leather on IKEA chairs tends to wear down pretty fast as well.

On the other hand, the food there is pretty good. I just wish those hot dogs came with brown buns.

Dignified Pauper
04-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I am going to buy a floor bed from IKEA. And an entertainment stand. I love IKEA.

Jess
04-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I find myself on the IKEA website a bit too often. I need... new everything in the way of bedroom furniture. I need a double bed, and new clothes storage the most. My drawers are all pretty broken, because they're years old now... and I have so many clothes I can't keep them all in the drawers! argh. :jess:

Rye
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I got a desk, two underdesk storage systems, and a mini-iron board for when I need to press things during sewing projects for 80 dollars! BAM! All I need to get is my chair, but all in all, I should be coming in under my budget. The table is white, which doesn't go with the desk, but it goes with my dressers which are white.

Rantz
04-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Also, did you know? I got my eyebrows from IKEA! :jokey:

Madame Adequate
04-05-2010, 08:32 PM
The only good thing to come out of Sweden is the Walking Swedish Murder Machine :colbert:

Jings
04-05-2010, 08:37 PM
IKEA is awesome. It reminds me of the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark :D

Breine
04-05-2010, 11:04 PM
I've honestly grown tired of Ikea. Sure, it's cheap and that's really nice, plus they have a lot of different stuff. It's just.. everyone goes there, and so everyone ends up having the same furniture from Ikea. That's booooring to be honest.

That doesn't mean I don't have anything from Ikea, though. I have this room divider/book shelf from Ikea that I like, and now that I've moved away from home I went there the other day. Ikea is really good for practical stuff, like boxes to put under you bed, cheap foldable chairs for parties and such. Stuff like that I'll gladly buy there, but anything else I try to buy elsewhere. I don't particularly care for living like everybody else.

And yes, going to Ikea is frustrating with all the people and maze-like routes.

Miriel
04-05-2010, 11:23 PM

I love the maze! Follow the arrows!

I like sitting in the show rooms and pretending that I live there. :p

Breine
04-05-2010, 11:26 PM

I love the maze! Follow the arrows!

I like sitting in the show rooms and pretending that I live there. :p

I have nothing against the maze per se, and I can find my way through it very easily. It' just that there's usually a lot of people in Ikea when I'm there, and so you're sort always standing in someone's way, or someone else is in your way etc. It could've been done better imo.

But yeah, sitting in a couch and just looking at people going by is neat :)

Rye
04-05-2010, 11:37 PM
The maze was cute to me, but it drove my Mom NUTS! She was so confused by how IKEA. It was really funny. XD

I don't think I could be more happy with how my sewing station came out. It looks absolutely adorable. And I have my picture frame with that wonky pink picture that my printer printed when it was out mostly out of ink of Hux and I as an inspiration piece.:love: :love: :love:

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/ryechuuu/sewingstation1.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/ryechuuu/sewingstation2.jpg

I love it! I have lots of storage space for my fabrics and I could organize my cutting stuff and my spools of thread. I even have room to iron!

It was really fun to assemble too. I got to use my Dad's power tools!

Breine
04-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Is that ironing board from Ikea too? I think I almost bought one identical to it the other day.

Miriel
04-06-2010, 12:55 AM
That's freakin' adorable! It's your little crafting station. :)

Ashi
04-06-2010, 07:03 PM
If you're looking for an affordable desk, I once bought a really tiny one (well it's big enough for the basic computer needs :lol: ) for the equivalent of $20.

Rye
04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Mine was 20 dollars, too! And it's really sturdy too. I'm so pleased with that deal. XD I just need to find a chair. I bought a cute stool but it's too tall and my feet don't reach the peddle to power the sewing machine. :(

Unbreakable Will
04-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I know I'm probably going to be killed for this but.... What is IKEA? :confused:

qwertysaur
04-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I know I'm probably going to be killed for this but.... What is IKEA? :confused:
Swedish furniture store.

Quindiana Jones
04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Apparently they have meatballs. Unfortunately, the nearest IKEA to me (in bloody Manchester for Christ's sake!) is a fair way away.

Aibbie
04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
IKEA is the Swedish people's way of taking over the world.

They hook you in with cheap furniture and then taunt you with impossible assembling directions until you shoot yourself out of frustration.

Sidenote, they do have nice meatballs :D

Quindiana Jones
04-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Rantzien has nice meatballs. :jokey:

qwertysaur
04-06-2010, 09:45 PM
His eyebrows are the real killers though :zombert:

theundeadhero
04-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Haven't any of you ever seen Fight Club?

NorthernChaosGod
04-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Haven't any of you ever seen Fight Club?

Someone hasn't creeped my Facebook page very much. :colbert:

EDIT: I need to actually read names more, I thought this was Freya.

Brunettepudding
04-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I went to IKEA once. I got lost.

Fuck that.