PDA

View Full Version : Patapon

Yeargdribble
04-06-2010, 12:16 AM
So I picked up Patapon and Patapon 2 a month or so ago. Patapon was amazing and addictive. Patapon 2 is just unbelievable.

I can't remember a time recently where a sequel literally took everything awesome from an already great first game and just magnified it and made only improvements the way Patapon 2 did. I'm still deep in it and addicted. My wife is now playing Patapon 1 and is quite addicted as well. Sharing the PSP is interesting.

I hope a Patapon 3 is somewhere on the horizon with a similar ability to import your save from the previous title to give yourself a head start.

Mo-Nercy
04-06-2010, 12:35 AM
I've only played Patapon, but I'm keen to get my hands on Patapon 2 very soon. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Those guys are just so friggin' cute!

Yeargdribble
04-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Patapon 2 is infinitely better than Patapon. In Patapon it always felt like a waste when you had to dismiss a unit to replace him with a better unit. No such waste ever occurs in Patapon 2. Each individual unit can learn to be all of the rarepons and switch to that version as needed for given battles as well as level them up (with materials) individually. It's kinda like the job systems in FF III/V/T.

Farming is less of a chore. The drops from farming and boss battles are significantly magnified. Even though there's more to spend materials on, you always feel like you're making significant progress. Also, gear drops are plentiful and you can replay the locations of certain story battles to farm equipment, which is very useful.

Also, in the first game it seems almost a waste after focusing on making good Tatepons, Yumipons and Yaripons to use resources to make Kibapons, Dekapons and Megapons. This is especially true as they may not do a much better job than your established group. This isn't true in P2. There are levels that require you to use the other units for strategic reasons and since materials are plentiful, it feels less like a waste of resources.

It's just a stellar game.

Miriel
06-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I just started playing this and it's sooooo much fun!

Pata pata pata pon!

Yeargdribble
06-23-2010, 03:09 AM
And Patapon 3 is coming now!! It sounds like it might be a bit of a departure, but I'm excited anyway.

Captain Maxx Power
06-24-2010, 02:10 AM
I just started playing this and it's sooooo much fun!

Pata pata pata pon!

Pon pon pata pon!

JKTrix
06-24-2010, 05:18 AM
I love quirky rhythm games in general, but Patapon had an instant connection with me as soon as I heard about it. I've posted this in Patapon threads before, but in Bermuda we have cultural dance troupes called Gombeys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNQvpDG_3Sw). So Patapon to me has been like 'Gombey: the Video Game'.

Excited for #3.

Mo-Nercy
06-24-2010, 05:38 AM
Since I've last posted, I've played a lot of Patapon 2. I can see what you mean when you say it's a big improvement over 1. It's got me back into rhythm/music games all over again - Elite Beat Agents, Rhythm Heaven, Stepmania (can't find an actual Pump It Up! machine in Sydney anymore) are all infinitely more fun now.

I just did a little bit of research for Patapon 3. Apparently, there's supposed to be a multiplayer demo of it available on PSN as of yesterday. Anyone played it yet?

Trailer! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD4P24jep40)

Laddy
06-25-2010, 09:26 AM
I've always wanted to try the original.

I'll go check it out sometime.

Yeargdribble
07-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Coming to PSN: Patapon 3 Multiplayer Demo for PSP – PlayStation Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/07/02/coming-to-psn-patapon-3-multiplayer-demo-for-psp/)

I'm not sure how I feel about the multiplayer direction Patapon 3 is taking, but I'll probably be attempting to check it out on Tuesday.