PDA

View Full Version : The Lore of Lorewyn

Bastian
04-06-2010, 04:25 AM
Self-absorbed self-promotion? Yes!

So I've secretly been creating an old school style RPG for the past near-year now and it's finally done and bug free.

If you're hankering for an old school experience and also want to hear some of my band's music in the process, have a look!

Here! (http://trianglehard.webs.com/theloreoflorewyn.htm)

Araciel
04-06-2010, 03:41 PM
After the credits, I had to look desperately for a place to save it. I'll play more when I get home.

oddler
04-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Oh my god. Is that character's name Bacon?! I have to play this! :choc2:

Madonna
04-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Sadly, it is Baeon; if only he were a bit faster!

Xanth novels, seriously?!

The "Ouch!" bit was awesome!

The music is very nice to listen to while playing!

Bastian
04-07-2010, 03:34 AM
After the credits, I had to look desperately for a place to save it. I'll play more when I get home.
Haha, hint taken!

BTW: You can skip the opening credits by pressing the Action button during them.

Xanth novels, seriously?!
I cannot tell if that is an appreciative or incredulous "seriously" . . .
Truth be told, the original version of the book-length manuscript this game is based on was a total Xanth ripoff (puns and references up the wazoo). But that's because my friend and I wrote it the summer after my freshman year in high school and I was entrenched in Xanth books then.

The "Ouch!" bit was awesome!
The music is very nice to listen to while playing!
Thanks! I hope you're having fun! :D

Araciel
04-07-2010, 05:05 PM
I just assumed ESC would skip it, so when it didn't I left the game to run while I made lunch.

I wish there were an option to use a gamepad or map your own control scheme, but I assume (not knowing anything about it) that to add that would be an ordeal in coding.

Bastian
04-07-2010, 05:58 PM
I wish there were an option to use a gamepad or map your own control scheme, but I assume (not knowing anything about it) that to add that would be an ordeal in coding.

Actually, if you press F1 and click on the second and third tabs you can map the controls to which ever key you'd like, and then you can use a gamepad profiler like xpadder (http://www.xpadder.com/) to map to those keys. I wish it had an actual gamepad interface though. Sorry.

Araciel
04-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Ahhh cool :D

oddler
04-10-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm really liking the dialogue so far and the music really sets the mood well. Plus, I'm a sucker for a humorous atmosphere. Other than some minor glitches, this is a very entertaining game. :up:

I just crossed the Wall so I'm assuming I still have quite a ways to go.

Laddy
04-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Downloading it now! SO exciting!

Bastian
04-11-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm really liking the dialogue so far and the music really sets the mood well. Plus, I'm a sucker for a humorous atmosphere. Other than some minor glitches, this is a very entertaining game. :up:

I just crossed the Wall so I'm assuming I still have quite a ways to go.

Eeek. What were the minor glitches?

And you're right in thinking you have really only just begun. ;)

oddler
04-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Sometimes at the end of a battle, the contents in the bottom right window will shift to the right. It's very noticeable if you happen to have a status effect listed in the window at the end of battle. Doesn't happen all the time though. Really weird. I also saw that Tyrin lost a butt ton of ATK when he reached level 18 and dropped 1 DEF at level 19.

I may be wrong about this as I didn't give it much testing but if you equip two weapons and no shield I think the game puts the total ATK together and inflicts that much damage twice. Essentially, I think you cause about 3 or 4 times as much damage with two weapons. Sort of broken but that doesn't mean that I don't take advantage of it! :monster:

Grammatical errors but really, it's pretty close to impossible not to miss those in testing. :choc2:

Bastian
04-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Sorry! I've been away from EoFF for a month or something. Real live is too busy! Argh!

Sometimes at the end of a battle, the contents in the bottom right window will shift to the right. It's very noticeable if you happen to have a status effect listed in the window at the end of battle. Doesn't happen all the time though. Really weird.
That IS really weird. I've never seen that happen. I'll take a look.

I also saw that Tyrin lost a butt ton of ATK when he reached level 18 and dropped 1 DEF at level 19.
That is also not supposed to happen. WTF. Hm, I'll try to figure that out. The stats should only go up, never down. :(

Slothy
04-26-2010, 02:54 AM
Hm, forgot that I downloaded this back when you made the thread but never got around to playing it. I'll try and remember to install and play it this week at some point.

oddler
04-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Real live is too busy! Argh!

This.

I haven't had time to finish the game yet, either. Battles are starting to get pretty hard. But I got... a dragon? :)

Bastian
05-13-2010, 04:32 AM
Sorry! I haven't been on EoFF in a while. I'm site staff now for the biggest Zelda fan site and it's eating up all my online free time. :(

Real live is too busy! Argh!

This.

I haven't had time to finish the game yet, either. Battles are starting to get pretty hard. But I got... a dragon? :)

Wow! You're getting fairly far. You're nearly half way done, I think.

Bastian
08-18-2011, 09:19 PM
For anyone interested: I just finished a revamped version with prettier graphics, better/more cut scenes and dialogue, some hidden superbosses, and other stuff. You can download it (or just look at screenshots of it) at The Lore of Lorewyn -

(http://trianglehard.webs.com/theloreoflorewyn.htm)http://trianglehard.webs.com//l17.png

Jiro
08-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I think I recall you telling me about this a long long time ago. The writing it over summer with a friend is familiar at least!

Greatermaximus
08-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Sounds like the mtg expansion Lorwyn.

Bastian
08-27-2011, 08:11 PM
I have no idea what mtg is. :/ Wait. Magic The Gathering? Never played it. But I came up with the word "Lorewyn" when I was a kid in like 1995. And I have a large group who can attest to that, the people I read my god-awful book chapter by chapter to in 1997 in our Writers' Club. :P

Madonna
09-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I have your original release but never finished a playthrough. I will download the updated release and try to be a better audience.

Old Manus
09-06-2011, 07:42 PM
It's great when people use Welsh-sounding words in their film/game/book fantasy myth. You know when the Japanese put English words in their game titles to make it sound cool but to anybody who's native it just looks really stupid? For me, it's like that.

How are you pronouncing Lorewyn? I would pronounce it 'lohr-EHH-win'

EDIT: or possibly LOHR-ehh-win

Bastian
09-29-2011, 05:18 AM
It's great when people use Welsh-sounding words in their film/game/book fantasy myth.
:D But it's not just Welsh sounding. I chose wyn because "wyn" means "blessing" and that sort of plays a part in the story when you add the "Lore" context.

How are you pronouncing Lorewyn? I would pronounce it 'lohr-EHH-win'

EDIT: or possibly LOHR-ehh-win
WHen I was a kid, it was just "LOHR-win" but now I think of it as "LOHR-eh-win"