PDA

View Full Version : Do re mi~

Rebellious Eagle
04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
So, do you like to sing? Have you ever been in a choir of some sort before? What's your voice type?

I love to sing, even just to myself (and my cats, although I don't think they appreciate it!). I'm in my school's chorale (next year I'll be in concert choir and we get to travel to other countries occasionally, heck yeah) and I'm a soprano 1. The highest note I can hit is maybe a high C or D (2 octaves above middle C). The lowest note I can hit...well, I have no idea. I have trouble even singing middle C, haha.

Even if you don't like to sing, well...you have to admit, it's fun to belt out your favorite song on the radio, no?

Aerith's Knight
04-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I love singing. I sing to myself all the time, I hide it though. :shifty:

My voice is pretty low, but I can hit.. some high notes, just not very long or my nuts hurt. :p

Quindiana Jones
04-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm an alright singer, I guess. Certainly nothing to write home about, and I'll not be heading to the charts any time soon. I usually sing to myself when cooking or something.

My whistling, however, is the best in the entire world ever. I'm very proud. :D

Crop
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm a bad singer.
When I used to perform on stage, I never took a singing part. I do like to sing along with songs when I know them though, just because I like to when I know the lyrics.

Kirobaito
04-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I sing all the time. I have a low tenor (I can get to a G, but can't sustain it).

rubah
04-06-2010, 10:38 PM
I sing a lot xD

Chris
04-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I can sing pretty good if I make an effort, but otherwise, I don't really care. I just love singing.

I can't stop humming "Part of Your World" from the Little Mermaid. Disturbing, I know, but for some reason unknown, I can pass quite adequately for a girl when I sing. My voice is really, really lightweight.

:(

Freya
04-07-2010, 12:06 AM
I love to sing! I often sing clips to friends on msn and I think they are getting annoyed with it but i'm just going to ignore it and keep on doing it :D

Rye
04-07-2010, 12:57 AM
I was going to go to university to sing opera and become a music teacher, but I hated the actual not-singing part of it. It just wasn't for me. I couldn't read music, I disliked the music program and I absolutely hated the teachers and fellow students. Music students are almost all diva assholes. I miss singing opera a bit once and a while, but being an English and education double major is better for me. I never had stage fright, but my body would make itself sick just trying to hard to really practice and improve before a performance that I just wasn't happy with it anymore.

I still sing to myself. I get compliments on my voice, but it's not nearly as good as it was back when I was still training and that makes me a little sad. I used to be a coloratura soprano, which basically means the highest singing role of a soprano. I hit those high notes like it was nothing. I miss it. It makes me a little teary to think of my performance. The one good thing about not training anymore is that I've gotten better at singing and making harmonies to songs; I've been de-sopranoized so I can hear the harmonies better than ever.

We're kind of alike then, RE! Keep working on those range exercises and you'll get over that high C easily as you get older. I forget the highest note I've sang in performance, but I think it was in this song (that or Black Swan) which is coincidentally the last song I've ever performed.

YouTube - Dorothea Röschmann - Ach ich fühl's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53RwokMkgqk)

Check out other songs from this opera, btw. The Magic Flute has some of the most amazing songs; I really want to see it this summer, but those tickets are like, insanely expensive and really complicated to order because the Metropolitan Opera House in Manhattan is all fancy. The Magic Flute also has really good arias for sopranos.

YouTube - Magic Flute (Queen of Night Aria) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ODfuMMyss)
(This was the song I was next planning on learning if I had kept with music school. I was going to learn it privately. I wasn't expecting to ever perform a song of this level while being an undergrad in university, but the school wanted my first performance to be a song of a middle school level - I did literally perform it in middle school for NYSSMA. I was extremely insulted; my performance instructor was the one given to the most advanced opera singers coming into the music school, but when they found out about my level of music reading, they forgot about the fact that I actually got selected for him for a reason (ie; I had a fantastic ear and was a great learner despite being a poor music reader), and thought it'd be cute if I sang The Water is Wide instead of an aria.)

Madame Adequate
04-07-2010, 01:01 AM
I am an atrociously bad singer. I am the absolute apex of bad singing - there is not one metric of singing quality where I even approach tolerable.

Rye
04-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Your singing is cute, you just don't sing in tune sometimes. XD You sing in beat though, which is good. My Mom sings everything off beat and it makes my skin crawl because I really notice those things. It turns me into a sperglord.

Madame Adequate
04-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Ahahaha tune is for posers imho. My mom's singing is... it's not good, it causes me pain. xD But she has fun so what do I care?

PS: I must be tripping or something because I just saw you're a CK and it freaked me out because I forgot.

Rye
04-07-2010, 01:10 AM
You need to be eating more brains, son.

And just in case anyone was curious, which I'm sure they weren't, I think this is the best piece of opera singing OF ALL TIME!!!

YouTube - Mirella Freni as Manon Lescaut "Sola, perduta, abbandonata" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5RBzSoLgVU)

Does not fail to make me cry.

Bunny
04-07-2010, 01:11 AM
I sing good.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I can't sing for the life of me, though I still sing to myself from time to time!

I have no idea what my voice type is. :x

Shlup
04-07-2010, 02:37 AM
I've been singing Stray Cat Strut all day.

My voice is horrible though.

Freya
04-07-2010, 02:39 AM
You have me all interested now rye! I wanna hear you sing :D

Kirobaito
04-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Oh, I didn't answer the other question. I do not sing in a choir because I wouldn't be able to stand being told what to sing. I sing in a band.

Wolf Kanno
04-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I have a decent singing voice. When I was younger, I had a beautiful voice. I was in choir for years.

Basically does anyone remember that scene in Simpsons where Homer was a young boy singing in the church choir and Grandpa was going to make it rich with his beautiful voice and then midway through the song, Homer's voice changed to what we all know and love? Yeah... that pretty much happened with me.

I still have a decent singing voice but I've noticed I can't sing around other people that are singing cause I always try to synchronize with their voices and they shoot me into octave ranges I just can't do.

I'm a Baritone probably low end towards bass. I like to joke that I have the same vocal range as Cher cause I do a mean rendition of "Believe". I can also use my falsetto pretty decently which allows me to do some Radiohead tracks that most people can't do. If my former boss was a truly evil man, it would be possibly to find all those Karaoke songs I did in my old job. Luckily he's not so cruel to the world. :p

Breine
04-07-2010, 08:30 AM
I love to sing, I just don't do it well xD

qwertysaur
04-07-2010, 08:36 AM
I never expected Wolf to be a singer :p

Jiro
04-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm the lead singer for this band. We're pretty famous you might have heard of them the All-American Rejects? :smug:

No but seriously, I have a horrible voice. Sometimes my singing hits its peak and it doesn't make you want to stab yourself and me in the face. But I keep singing in the hope that one day I'll have a shred of talent.

Oh in like 6th grade the Australian Youth Choir rep forced us all to do this mini audition and I was invited to come learn how to sing but back then I was cool and singing was for wimps. No I just didn't want to get picked on even more xD

Rantz
04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Let me put it this way. My own mother has never complimented my singing voice. If there was even a shred of talent there she would have pointed it out endlessly.

Fynn
04-08-2010, 03:57 PM
I consider myself an OK singer. Whereas everyone else around says I have an incredible voice. I wouldn't believe that, though.

I've been singing since primary school. As a kid, I always sung in the highest voice in the choir. Now I am a tenor, singing in a smaller choir. I moved to a much bigger city, so I'm shocked that such renouned people wanted me in their band... Then again, they had no other tenors :eep: Anyhoo, when I sing with the rest of the choir and the orchestra, I can easily reach G, and when we sing real loud, I can reach A without falsetto. And here's the next issue - I have a very strong falsetto and can go a lot higher than that. And that is why the head of the band wants to make a contratenor out of me and make someone from the Warsaw Opera (biggest in Poland) to notice me. The problem is, I don't really like the idea of being a contratenor. I want to sing in a manly voice! Second of all, I really don't get what the big deal is. I don't sing that great, and yet the lady that manages our band seems to enter a trance every time I sing my solo...

Damn, that post made me sound like a dick. I'm not trying to brag, guys, really. I'm not as good a singer as they think... :(

Wolf Kanno
04-09-2010, 05:57 AM
I never expected Wolf to be a singer :p

Stranger things have happened. :p

Brunettepudding
04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
I was in chorus from the time I was 4 until I was 8 or 9, when I started playing violin. I don't sing unless I'm alone now, and if I do, it's obnoxious fake singing, haha.

Rye
04-09-2010, 03:31 PM
You have me all interested now rye! I wanna hear you sing :D

:blush:

Thank you! Unfortunately, I've lost all of my recordings and videos when my old laptop died. I never packed them up. Woops. XD

41-Inches-Wide
04-09-2010, 05:50 PM
I have horrible singing voice tbqf

oddler
04-10-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm the lead singer for this band. We're pretty famous you might have heard of them the All-American Rejects? :smug:

I went to see you with blink-182 and you cancelled. :mad2:

I sing that type of music mostly, the poppy punk rock or whatever. I have zero vocal education but I consider my singing to be good enough for the purpose. :choc2:

Rebellious Eagle
04-10-2010, 01:25 PM
I consider myself an OK singer. Whereas everyone else around says I have an incredible voice. I wouldn't believe that, though.

I've been singing since primary school. As a kid, I always sung in the highest voice in the choir. Now I am a tenor, singing in a smaller choir. I moved to a much bigger city, so I'm shocked that such renouned people wanted me in their band... Then again, they had no other tenors :eep: Anyhoo, when I sing with the rest of the choir and the orchestra, I can easily reach G, and when we sing real loud, I can reach A without falsetto. And here's the next issue - I have a very strong falsetto and can go a lot higher than that. And that is why the head of the band wants to make a contratenor out of me and make someone from the Warsaw Opera (biggest in Poland) to notice me. The problem is, I don't really like the idea of being a contratenor. I want to sing in a manly voice! Second of all, I really don't get what the big deal is. I don't sing that great, and yet the lady that manages our band seems to enter a trance every time I sing my solo...

Damn, that post made me sound like a dick. I'm not trying to brag, guys, really. I'm not as good a singer as they think... :(

Which A? The one above middle C or high A? I've heard tenors hit high B and it just blows my mind.
Also, Rye, it's a shame you lost your recordings! I really wanted to hear you sing, too. x3

Shattered Dreamer
04-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Singing is probably the one meaningful thing I have a talent for in life! I've sung in bands for years, I've done musicals, I've done choir singing, I even got offer the chance to go for a scholarship which would of resulted in me making a living singing in the choir of the national concert orchestra here in Ireland. But, given my other blindness as a teenage rock musician I turned it down. 6 years on & since I'm unemployed I kinda regret it! My friends have lately taken to trying to convince me to enter the X-Factor or American Idol competitions but I'm not exactly pro reality tv but then again I might do it for the laugh at the same time :bigsmile:

Currently I'm trying to get things sorted to start a new acoustic band singing alongside a rather talented female singer I met, should be fun :bigsmile: