PDA

View Full Version : What, she's THAT old?!

KentaRawr!
04-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Have you guys ever been surprised at your internet friend's age when it was finally revealed to you? Quite a few people used to be surprised at my age when I played FFXI and PSO (when I was 10-12, not the more recent 16-17) because of my typing style. No one really gets surprised by my typing style anymore. Anyway, one person who was surprised by my age gave me the impression that she was in her early 20's. However, as it turns out, she was only two years older than me! How surprising is that?

And more recently, I came across someone who seemed a lot like a teenager in his attitude. He was naming favorite bands, video games, and television shows. Also, his typing style was really casual. Think like <del>Meat Puppet's</del> Old Manus' typing style. But then, suddenly he said something about his ex-wife, and the jig was up! He's no teenager! He's an old fart!

So, back to the topic. Have you guys been surprised by your internet friends' ages?

Rye
04-07-2010, 02:45 PM
A little! They're usually younger than I expected, but sometimes older.

People used to be surprised by my age because I joined here when I was 12. Now people are surprised sometimes because I'm turning 20 very soon, and people still think I'm 16 or something! :greenie:

KentaRawr!
04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
It surprises me more when they're closer to my age, because I'm so used to being the young'in of the internet group.

Quindiana Jones
04-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I like going on Omecle and figuring out people's ages. I am also a serial killer.

Due to the fact that I live in Opposite Land, I'm usually a lot nicer and respectful of social boundaries when on the Internet. In real life, my friends are convinced that I'm a horrible old bastard who would make a joke about his own nan dying if the silly cow would hurry up and do it with a super awesome secret anti-aging cream. Both those sentences were going to lead to something about deceptive personalities, but then I forgot where I was going with it.

So...uh, yeah. I was surprised a few years ago when I found out Rye was old. And the fact that sk is only a few months older than me still makes me :eek:, considering what a fogey her old man is. ;)

Jiro
04-07-2010, 03:02 PM
You guys all seem like you should be acting more mature :colbert:

I Don't Need A Name
04-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I've stopped being surprised. Being on here with older people acting like 2 year olds, you get used to it.

Although finding out that qwerty is an older was a shock...as was Jiro being younger than me.

Slothy
04-07-2010, 03:24 PM
So, back to the topic. Have you guys been surprised by your internet friends' ages?

Right now when I found out you were 17. I'm sure I've looked at your profile before, and probably saw it without thinking about it too much, but you do come off as being older online I think.

I was surprised when I found out Rebellious Eagle was 14 too. Maybe it's because I'm on the long decent into old fart land myself, but I guess my default assumption is that people on forums are around my age, which is probably the dumbest assumption I could make on the internet really.

fire_of_avalon
04-07-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm usually pretty good about figuring out what age groups people belong in based on their attitudes and "speech"/typing patterns as well as their concerns and values. Some people still throw me for a loop, though.

In real life, I have a very hard time determining age just by looking at someone, though I can usually make it within 10 years or so. This is reversed on my quite often as well. My boss told me when she first interviewed me, she thought I was in my mid to late teens.

I was 23.

KentaRawr!
04-07-2010, 03:31 PM

Right now when I found out you were 17. I'm sure I've looked at your profile before, and probably saw it without thinking about it too much, but you do come off as being older online I think.

I was surprised when I found out Rebellious Eagle was 14 too. Maybe it's because I'm on the long decent into old fart land myself, but I guess my default assumption is that people on forums are around my age, which is probably the dumbest assumption I could make on the internet really.

How old did you think I was? :p

Raistlin
04-07-2010, 03:56 PM
People online have continually expressed surprise over the years at how young I am, even fairly recently, and I'm now 22. But considering how often I'm made fun of for being an old grouchy geezer, I'll probably have to be 40+ for that to stop.

Old Manus
04-07-2010, 04:08 PM
im actually 14 lol

Levian
04-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I like going on Omecle and figuring out people's ages. I am also a serial killer.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is reminded of Omecle whenever Omegle is brought up.

Jessweeee♪
04-07-2010, 05:07 PM
I was quite surprised when this lady mentioned her grandchildren.

Quindiana Jones
04-07-2010, 05:29 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is reminded of Omecle whenever Omegle is brought up.

I meant I ride Omecle around town examining people from his back. :shifty:

Cuchulainn
04-07-2010, 05:38 PM
To judge someone's age by their typing skills is idiotic. It's like judging their age by whether or not they can tie a cherry stem with their tongue. Especially considering the older generation did not generally get computer lessons at school (I never and I left school in 1996).

I'm sometimes guilty of typing on MSN the way I texted people before autocomplete saved us all. That's only to save time & typing as I'm a lazy bastard. If I'm doing an official letter to the magestrate to try and get my retraining order on Scarlett Johansson lifted, I'll type properly, short of that I'll type just enough to make sense as it does not really fucking matter in the grand scheme of things really does it.

KentaRawr!
04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Not their typing skills, but their typing style. Huge difference.

Flying Mullet
04-07-2010, 05:50 PM

I meant I ride Omecle around town examining people from his back. :shifty:
Odd you should mention riding from his back, as I just had a cowboy conversation where I was going to ask this spiderman if I could ride him

Stranger: heyy
You: howdy partner!
You: I'm a cowboy, what are you?
Stranger: correct
Stranger: im spider man
Stranger: with many limbs
You: awesome
You: we should go on adventures together
Stranger: yep
Stranger: you read my mind

Cuchulainn
04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Not their typing skills, but their typing style. Huge difference.

Even so, it's habit here for people, no matter of age, to type casual & shorthand in texts & real time chats. Saves time. 'u' '2' etc.

Of course with phones nowadays there is no excuse. Auto complete is king.

KentaRawr!
04-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Auto complete is the devil! What are you talking about? :mad2:

And besides, things like u and 2 weren't what I meant by casual.

Cuchulainn
04-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Auto complete is the devil! What are you talking about? :mad2:

And besides, things like u and 2 weren't what I meant by casual.

Auto complete has saved me many many timeses. Once you add things to dioctionary ofc! My ma got a phone & she's still no idea how to change a word to the right one so it's like an anagram quiz sometime tryin to work out just what in fuck she's trying to say.

Slothy
04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
How old did you think I was? :p

I honestly would have guessed at least 20 if anyone had asked me I think. Granted it's not a huge numerical difference from 17, but it could be a huge difference in terms of maturity and life experience.

Not to say there aren't plenty of mature teenagers out there, or that everyone over 20 magically grows up and starts acting like an adult. I've known plenty on both sides of those numbers who don't act their age for better or for worse (my 22 year old sister often being one of the "for worse" cases).

Zeldy
04-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Kentarou you're like my age!

KentaRawr!
04-07-2010, 06:24 PM
You're slightly older than me, though. By a few months.

Rantz
04-07-2010, 06:29 PM
I always expect oldbies in any online community to be older than I am, so it's always a surprise when I find out that someone who's been there far longer than I have is my age or even younger!

Shlup
04-07-2010, 07:06 PM
I often forget that Rye is only 19, and Raisin is only 22. They seem at least my age. I was also surprised to hear that Rebellious Eagle is... 15? My sister is 15 so I'm used to her illiterate friends. Fucking hate those kids. RE, on the other hand, has a brain that actually functions.

Freya
04-07-2010, 07:59 PM
If someone types with "u" "r" "2" etc then I tend to think they are a stupid teenager who is too lazy to take an extra second and hit the two letters in "to". I tend to lose respect more so if they are an adult and are still typing like that.

I tend to think of a person I meet online as older. I'm always off by a year or so. It's not too much but instead of 22, I think they are 23! I always forget that Jiro is younger than I am. Some EoFFers have surprised me though. Like as mentioned RE and kentarou. Even Zeldy, when I first met her way back when I thought she was older than me. :p

Merk
04-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I am surprised every time. I assume everyone is my age unless they say something to make me think otherwise.

Sephiroth
04-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I know that. A lot of people think I am 30-40. And I am not.

Flying Mullet
04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
A lot of people think I am 60-70. And I am not.

KentaRawr!
04-07-2010, 08:17 PM
A lot of people think I'm 20-27. And I am not.

Psychotic
04-07-2010, 08:17 PM
ShlupQuack always looks like she is in her late 30's, early 40's in her photos, so it always surprises me to learn that she is a lot younger.

NorthernChaosGod
04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
ShlupQuack always looks like she is in her late 30's, early 40's in her photos, so it always surprises me to learn that she is a lot younger.

:lol:

I tend to assume people are around my age, I was kind of surprised to learn that Shlup was a few years older than I am.

Sephiroth
04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Kentarou A lot of people think I'm 20-27. And I am not.

Hmph, that was quite amusing.

Rodarian
04-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I often forget that Rye is only 19, and Raisin is only 22. They seem at least my age. I was also surprised to hear that Rebellious Eagle is... 15? My sister is 15 so I'm used to her illiterate friends. smurfing hate those kids. RE, on the other hand, has a brain that actually functions.

Yea , sometimes I forget that a lot a gals and guys around here are younger than me.. My typing style is I guess in a youthful aspect...

People think I'm 18-20 when I'm actually a dirty old man.... (I'm 27)

Its your avatar.. Monkey in glasses reminds me of seniors....

Rebellious Eagle
04-07-2010, 09:23 PM
For some reason I think most people on here are younger than they really are but I can't exactly say why because I don't really know why I think that way. For example, when I found out how old ShlupQuack was I was amazed, because I genuinely think she looks younger than she really is. And I couldn't believe Rodarian's age, either, but I have no idea why. xD
I hate how everyone thinks teenagers such as myself are brain-dead and type like "what r u up 2 i waz jus playin sum gams n they were gr8". I don't know why but it seems so discriminatory! It actually takes more time for me to type like that than to type normally.

KentaRawr!
04-07-2010, 09:43 PM
For some reason I think most people on here are younger than they really are but I can't exactly say why because I don't really know why I think that way. For example, when I found out how old ShlupQuack was I was amazed, because I genuinely think she looks younger than she really is. And I couldn't believe Rodarian's age, either, but I have no idea why. xD
I hate how everyone thinks teenagers such as myself are brain-dead and type like "what r u up 2 i waz jus playin sum gams n they were gr8". I don't know why but it seems so discriminatory! It actually takes more time for me to type like that than to type normally.

I used to feel that way, too. Then I looked at my old posts and realized I was a dummy at your age. :(

Rye
04-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Paul, the lady killer! :lol:

Madonna
04-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Rebellious Eagle, time to break out the eScrapbook because someone made a thread specifically referencing you!

Judging people by their ages is a miserable affair and in lieu I often respect people by their post content; another poster's age is unimportant to me! Age, in my mind, only comes into play if you are thinking dirty things, you perverts!

Shiny
04-07-2010, 10:57 PM
On the internet: Most people assume I'm older than I really am.
IRL: Most people assume I'm younger than I really am.

I don't think about age very much. I really only assume people's ages are younger when they type liek thisorz 111!!!!11!

Quindiana Jones
04-07-2010, 11:10 PM

I'm pretty sure that, in this case, it's going to be the lady doing the killing. xD

Iceglow
04-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Online I'm not so sure how old people assume me to be. I mean seriously speaking if I didn't reveal my age openly or little things like "oh I live with my girlfriend" I could probably pass for around 20 - 22 I suppose especially considering how I'm always doing crap like caging people online or cracking a quick one off at someones expense.

Offline is a different story, I look somewhat older than I am definitely closer to 30 than I look to 20 - 25. People are often surprised by my appearance that I'm only 24, they often think I'm at least 27 which is no big deal really though 30+ guesses aren't all that uncommon to be fair which is almost hurtful especially when I'm in a bar talking to someone around my own age who then says "but well you're older" I then have to go "wth older? seriously I'm like 24 dude...." (insert the word darling if it's a girl instead of dude) I still act a lot younger which is useful at times because by being somewhat immature at times people don't think I'm "old" for too long. Though sometimes when I get a girl (or a guy even though this is rare, most gay guys can tell I'm straight) hit on me and she is around 18 I feel the disaproving stares from those around me who don't know me. I just wanna yell during these times that "I'm 6 years older not 16 years older, chill out!"

Also yeah Shlup surprised me when I found out how young she really is too. Especially when you hear she's a teacher your mind automatically generates a mental image of a 30 - 40 y/o.

Captain Maxx Power
04-08-2010, 12:59 AM
You guys all seem like you should be acting more mature :colbert:

Yeah well you smell!

Mo-Nercy
04-08-2010, 01:17 AM

Yes, EVERY TIME!

I'm not really surprised anymore to find out peoples ages online. When I used to post at another forum many years ago when I was around 14-15, I got used to people commenting that I came across as someone in their 20s.

I think my grasp of the English language has somewhat deteriorated since then though. I wouldn't be surprised if people thought I'm actually younger than I am.

BarelySeeAtAll
04-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Not really, one person I thought was younger and actually she was 19? I mean, I thought she was 12-13 or something. Turns out she thought I was 22-24, when I was 16. THAT in itself is a shock.

One guy looked younger than he was, and acted it sometimes haha but that's just guys right? Just has one of those youthful type teen faces (Y) not bad, at the end of the day ;)

Rad Bromance
04-08-2010, 04:04 AM
People online have continually expressed surprise over the years at how young I am, even fairly recently, and I'm now 22. But considering how often I'm made fun of for being an old grouchy geezer, I'll probably have to be 40+ for that to stop.
I can't believe you're younger than me. I've always looked up to your comments as if you were some wisdom filled elder who's knowledge far exceeds mine and who's level of thought is beyond my current understanding.

I feel so lost now.

Raistlin
04-08-2010, 04:33 AM
It's ironic, because almost all of my online friends are older than me by at least a few years, and they make fun of me for being young. So I can't win.

Mo-Nercy
04-08-2010, 04:45 AM
Wha? Raist must be in his 20s. He has opinions and stuff.

Shlup
04-08-2010, 04:51 AM

I'm pretty sure that, in this case, it's going to be the lady doing the killing. xD

Oh, I'm biding my time. One of these days you'll leave yourself open, and then you and Del are gonna go down.

qwertysaur
04-08-2010, 05:04 AM
I wonder how old people think I am :p

NorthernChaosGod
04-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Like a million?

Garnie
04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm always careful on the net these days, especially on xbox live. I get a little shocked to see that some of the guys iv been gaming with on fable are like 12. One girl i was gaming with was happily flirting with the blatant 20 year olds by the demon gate. That made me lol when she told them her real age, they couldn't leave the game fast enough.
Most people don't believe I'm almost 25, but they say that in real life too lol x

NorthernChaosGod
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Was she like 13?

Jiro
04-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I always forget that Jiro is younger than I am.

It still doesn't get me my sexy dance :colbert:

Flying Mullet
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM

Psychotic
04-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Oh, I'm biding my time. One of these days you'll leave yourself open, and then you and Del are gonna go down.Well you'd better hurry up, it won't be long before you die of old age.

Breine
04-08-2010, 06:33 PM
A lot of people think I'm 20-27. And I am not.

I thought you were at least 20 until I found out that you... well, weren't.

For some reason I tend to think people are older than they really are - in real-life too. This is mostly when it comes to people that are between 18-30 or something, though.

While travelling as a backpacker, lots of people thought I was older than what I really was too. I was 20 at the time, but many continually thought I was at least 24 (most of the people we met were between 24-30). I actually hated it when people asked me about my age because for some reason I was afraid that their opinion of me would change when I answered: "well.. uhm.. I'm 20". Almost everybody was surprised to hear my age, and thankfully most people weren't "agists", so that was cool.

Really, age is - mostly anyway - nuthin' but a number.

Raistlin
04-08-2010, 06:48 PM
If this thread includes offline incidents, a couple of times random strangers have thought that I'm my little sister's father. That's awkward.

Rodarian
04-08-2010, 09:45 PM
And I couldn't believe Rodarian's age, either, but I have no idea why. xD

I use L'Oreal age defying cream... Cause I'm worth it! :jess::breine:

NorthernChaosGod
04-08-2010, 11:58 PM
If this thread includes offline incidents, a couple of times random strangers have thought that I'm my little sister's father. That's awkward.

I've been mistaken for my mother's boyfriend a number of times. :colbert:

Mo-Nercy
04-09-2010, 01:03 AM

I've been mistaken for my mother's boyfriend a number of times. :colbert:
*awkward turtle*

If we're talking IRL, an acquaintance of mine once assumed I was my girlfriend's younger brother. I haven't told her this, because that'd be implying people thought she looked old.

Brunettepudding
04-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Mother's boyfriend? That's pretty bad. Hahaha.

Mmm, people I talk to usually turn out to be much older, and it's like a mindfuck. They seem younger, than you find out their real age. I've also met girls who were, like, 11 who typed really well and spelled everything correctly. Was quite shocking, yep.

Pheesh
04-09-2010, 02:44 PM
When I was younger I was pretty good at writing and stuff, so people I met on the net used to think I was older than I was. Not so much any more.

With other people I find that they'll either look their age, or act it; it's hard to find someone irl who doesn't fall into one of those categories.

NorthernChaosGod
04-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Mother's boyfriend? That's pretty bad. Hahaha.

Mmm, people I talk to usually turn out to be much older, and it's like a mindsmurf. They seem younger, than you find out their real age. I've also met girls who were, like, 11 who typed really well and spelled everything correctly. Was quite shocking, yep.

You know my parents' ages.

I also get mistaken for being older than I really am in real life almost all the time. I was about 18 when I was working this auction with my friend and one of the customers or whatever thought I was at least 22. I always get people adding at least three years to my real age.

41-Inches-Wide
04-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I always think that all guys here in eoff are old farts. :heart:

Cuchulainn
04-09-2010, 10:55 PM

I'm certainly one of those.

Rodarian
04-10-2010, 11:04 PM

I'm certainly one of those.

Same goes for me.... *breaks wind*

Sephex
04-11-2010, 12:22 AM
And then there was that time I was randomly visited by a member of this board a few years ago when I was 21 and she was 32.

Leeza
04-11-2010, 04:00 PM
There are a lot of you here that surprise me. Most of you post very intelligently and when I first joined I was very surprised to learn that you guys were mostly under 16. I would have taken you all to be older than that. :cat:

Meat Puppet
04-11-2010, 04:08 PM
didn’t you think i was a toddler, leeza :( :( :(

~*~Celes~*~
04-14-2010, 05:37 AM
irl, people always think I'm in my mid-teens because of my height and youthful face. Online, people always think I'm older because my typing style is so mature. Then there are the times I just let go and relax :p

Leeza
04-14-2010, 06:08 AM
didn’t you think i was a toddler, leeza :( :( :(
Haha. No. :)

rubah
04-14-2010, 06:23 AM
I'm not sure how old people take me to be now. Probably around my age.

When I was younger though, people thought I was much older than I was xD (17 vs 12)

Jiro
04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
When I was younger I was pretty good at writing and stuff, so people I met on the net used to think I was older than I was. Not so much any more.

I thought you were 22ish. You seem pretty damn clued on.

Pheesh
04-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes...a little...too clued on <_<...>_>

Peegee
04-15-2010, 11:24 PM
I look like I'm in my 20s (early). Colleagues at work who don't know my age thought I was 22. AWESOME

Fonzie
04-16-2010, 04:06 AM
I'm usually mistaken for that kid from Home Alone, so I guess that's a... perk? xD

Brennan
04-23-2010, 02:51 AM
On the internet, I really don't know what people think my age is, but irl, some people think that I'm mid-20s, and that my sister (who is 22) is 12, and they're always shocked when my dad introduces me as the "baby" of the family.

Peegee
04-23-2010, 04:55 PM
I'd like to meet somebody who wasn't 18+ from EoFF only because I tend to treat you all like peers / equals, and it would be nice to finally have a teenage friend to treat as an equal.

Heck I used to ask a 19 year old about physics concepts. He's in his 20s now and I still bug him about stupidness

(hay how does gravity work lol inb4 gravitons)

Fuzakeru
04-26-2010, 08:43 PM
People always think I'm younger than I am on and offline. "You have such a bubbly personality!" I'm told. "Youthful spirit," is the other alternative. Uh-huh. I guess I don't look older than I am so I shall not complain.

HOWEVER! ... it pains me when someone 18-20 asks me out cause that is around my younger brother's age; a sharp, terrible stab to the heart!

I assume people are older than they are because I'm always looking to not be that 'oldest person in the room' person. I think I'm in denial about being 24 though and this all stems from psychological trauma from my childhood.... or maybe it was from playing Halo 3 with Psy that one time....

Mo-Nercy
04-28-2010, 03:19 AM
I'd like to meet somebody who wasn't 18+ from EoFF only because I tend to treat you all like peers / equals, and it would be nice to finally have a teenage friend to treat as an equal.
Yeah sure, PG. That's why. :roll2