PDA

View Full Version : eReaders

Shlup
04-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Does anyone else have one of these? I got a Nook for my birthday and I am madly in love with it. It stores all of my books and, since I downloaded them for free, has already made up its cost with all the books I have loaded on it. I also put in a 2GB micro SD and filled that with music, and put custom wallpapers and screensavers on it.

The eInk screen is magic. Watching it change is like watching the printing on a piece of paper change. I can read it for hours without my eyes hurting, which is a problem I had when I read on my laptop.

I used to be one of those "ohh, I like the feel and smell of my book, and it's like a trophy on my shelf when I'm done" people, but then I realized people who say those things are lame. Technology is awesome and having all of my favorite books in my purse is awesome.

I posted some pics of it here (http://thegrownupsarelying.blogspot.com/2010/04/housewifing-part-2-reading.html) and have started putting screensavers in my blog, though it probably won't do much good here 'cause I will be surprised if anyone else has one. Too many readers are into sniffing their books.

Rye
04-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I really like e-readers, but I'm still on the fence. I like the look of decorating the room with my books. I think I'll probably get one eventually, when the technology is better. But it might be sooner than that, because honestly, I don't even go to bookstores anymore. I don't remember the last time I bought a new book. It's just too expensive for a student who reads as much as I do to pay $15 dollars for each book, so I buy them all second hand online. The cheaper prices of the ebooks may entice me over to the digital side.

qwertysaur
04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
I enjoy the smell of a new book.

Shlup
04-07-2010, 07:47 PM
*stabs qwerty*

You can still buy the occasional cute book, Rye. Right now I'm reading the Sword of Truth series and it's decidedly uncute anyway.

NorthernChaosGod
04-07-2010, 07:56 PM
You downloaded the books for free, eh? :bigsmile:

Miriel
04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Your face is lame!

I know a lot of people who look their eReaders. I just can't get into them. It might have to do with the way I read which is on my side and curled up in a ball. I hold the book in one hand and prop the book up on itself. It's super comfy, and would be not-so-comfy if I tried the same thing with a Nook or a Kindle. I might get one someday because it would be great for traveling, reading on airplanes, on vacation, etc. Or I can see it being super handy to students if you were able to put text books on there. But for everyday reading, it doesn't seem necessary. And I really do love books. The feel of them, turning the pages, being able to throw them at the wall if the ending sucks. I like going to bookstores and getting recommendations from the employees. Shifting through rows and rows of smelly musty books to find the one you're looking for. Bookstores make me feel peaceful. I would just sit in them for days if I could. It would be sad if one day local bookstores went away because of the prevalence of eReaders and huge mega online book providers like Amazon.

I like technology as much as the next person, and shopping online and avoiding a certain amount of human interaction. But I'd like to keep some things based in the "old school" way of doing things, and books are one of those things.

Bunny
04-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I dislike carrying books around with me. It is mostly my fault since I am fairly particular when it comes to books; I prefer hardcover to paperback, they look and feel better. The problem comes with hardcover books being more expensive and bulkier or significantly more cumbersome than paperbacks are. For that reason, I have been considering getting an eReader, although I have not done a lot of research into them to even bother buying one quite yet. It might even expand my tastes, since I typically stick towards fantasy and science fiction and allow me to read more things.

Who knows.

Raistlin
04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
I am one of those people that really likes having a book in my hand, but above all things I am practical over sentimental. I realized a while ago that I would eventually be getting some sort of e-reader, but decided to wait until they got better. I could see myself getting one as soon as this summer, though I might wait until after law school (it's difficult to motivate myself to do personal reading when I already have to read cases every day).

How did you download all those books for free?

Miriel
04-07-2010, 09:42 PM
You can get almost anything for free online. I think the Nook reads pdfs, so all you would need to do is download a pdf of the book you're looking for via torrent or even scribd.com. Hell, you can just google for it and you'll probably get what you want.

Rye
04-07-2010, 09:46 PM
You can get almost anything for free online. I think the Nook reads pdfs, so all you would need to do is download a pdf of the book you're looking for via torrent or even scribd.com. Hell, you can just google for it and you'll probably get what you want.

That's why I'd get the Nook if I was going to get an e-reader. The Kindle makes it impossible to do such a thing.

Another thing I like about books is that I can write notes in the margins and highlight parts I like.

Raistlin
04-07-2010, 10:40 PM

That's awesome. Well I suppose I'll eventually get a Nook then, unless something better comes out first.

Mo-Nercy
04-08-2010, 01:35 AM
I'm not a big reader, but there are quite a few select books that I've read over the years that I've developed a fondness for. Since I don't read frequently though, if I were to get an eReader, it'd have to be fairly cheap.

If I used it for manga on the other hand. I'd never put it down. =]

Momiji
04-08-2010, 02:54 AM
I wonder if I'd actually get around to reading stuff I want to read if I get one of those.

...nah, probably not. :(

Shlup
04-08-2010, 03:19 AM
You downloaded the books for free, eh? :bigsmile:
Yup. Some legitimately!

I know a lot of people who look their eReaders. I just can't get into them. It might have to do with the way I read which is on my side and curled up in a ball. I hold the book in one hand and prop the book up on itself. It's super comfy, and would be not-so-comfy if I tried the same thing with a Nook or a Kindle.
See, that's exactly why I wanted one--I found curling on my side with a book to be uncomfortable. My pink would get tired from holding the book open. Now I can hold it in either hand and just click or swipe my finger across the touch screen on the bottom. BJ also got me a case that lets it sit on my nightstand like a picture frame.

I dislike carrying books around with me. It is mostly my fault since I am fairly particular when it comes to books; I prefer hardcover to paperback, they look and feel better. The problem comes with hardcover books being more expensive and bulkier or significantly more cumbersome than paperbacks are. For that reason, I have been considering getting an eReader, although I have not done a lot of research into them to even bother buying one quite yet. It might even expand my tastes, since I typically stick towards fantasy and science fiction and allow me to read more things.

Who knows.
I like hardcover books better too. I have the first two Dragonlance trilogies in two big annotated hardcovers--not easy to carry around. I also have all of the Dragonlance books, Sword of Truth, and Forgotten Realms on my Nook.

I am one of those people that really likes having a book in my hand, but above all things I am practical over sentimental. I realized a while ago that I would eventually be getting some sort of e-reader, but decided to wait until they got better. I could see myself getting one as soon as this summer, though I might wait until after law school (it's difficult to motivate myself to do personal reading when I already have to read cases every day).

How did you download all those books for free?
Heh, me too. I love books but knew I would cave and get the practical ereader. I got it sooner rather than later just because I was tired of moving my books around every few months, and because I knew if I got it as a gift I wouldn't spend so much money at the bookstore.

The books I have so far are PDFs from torrents. There are a few sites that offer books for free that aren't bootleg, but my first concern was finishing the Sword of Truth series.

Another thing I like about books is that I can write notes in the margins and highlight parts I like.

You can do that on a Nook.

If I used it for manga on the other hand. I'd never put it down. =]

I do read manga on it. It's not as easy as I would like it to be since it has no official image viewing program, but it's still doable. You can also buy manga for ereaders.

Bunny
04-08-2010, 03:28 AM
The books I have so far are PDFs from torrents. There are a few sites that offer books for free that aren't bootleg, but my first concern was finishing the Sword of Truth series.

Where can I find these sites and are they reliable with a pretty good selection of books?

Shlup
04-08-2010, 06:22 AM
So far I've just been using Demonoid. You can also search Google by filetype and such and such.

NorthernChaosGod
04-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Man, I think I'm sold on the idea now. There are so many books that I've been wanting to read or re-read and I haven't really been too motivated to try and find them used for cheap.

Shlup
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
If you're spoiled like me you can always beg for it. My mom, her boyfriend, and my grandparents all went in on it for my birthday.

rubah
04-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I love reading on my itouch. I read more books since I got it last summer than maybe as many as I read since I got to college until then.

Shiny
04-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Someone was showing off his iPad today to everyone. Him: "AND YOU CAN USA TODAY ON IT TOO! YOU CAN PROBABLY CREATE A BETTER COMMERCIAL THAN KINDLE'S WITH AN IPAD." Poor, poor boy. I have no use for an e-reader as I normally stick to one or two books at a time.

The Man
04-14-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm probably going to end up getting a Nook eventually since I work at Barnes & Noble. The last time I downloaded a book from the internets and read the whole thing on my computer I ended up hurting my eyes (although that's probably my fault for reading the entire thing in one day. I only downloaded it because the book isn't out here yet; I buy most of the stuff I read).

Araciel
04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Not just yet, but soon.. I'm not in a reading bent lately since I'm writing more than anything but as soon as I'm finished/breaking I should get out there and pick one up.

Shlup
04-16-2010, 03:02 AM
I'm slowly figuring out how to get manga turned into a PDF that won't lose quality when transferred to the Nook, and it's like 10MB a volume when I'm done. Manga everywhere. Consider the roof raised over here.

Fonzie
04-16-2010, 03:21 AM
Oh god, when manga is fully supported on it, call me. I'll buy it in a heart beat. :p

Shlup
04-16-2010, 03:35 AM
Well you can already buy manga through B&N or Amazon and it's not that hard to download manga and convert it to PDF. I already downloaded a ton of it and can get it on my Nook easily, but there's some quality loss I'm trying to find a way to get rid of. But, really, it's not hard to put manga on it.

Rye
04-16-2010, 01:35 PM
It might be worth getting one for me for manga. I like manga, but I refuse to pay $15 for something I will read in about 20 minutes, and I don't like reading it online. An eReader would be fun for that. I still need to finish that freaky Angel Sanctuary manga.

Yar
04-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Aren't they like a hundred million dollars? D:

I don't read books often enough to spend that much anyway. But when I do, I like having paper in my hands DIE TREES DIE

Shlup
04-17-2010, 10:12 PM
A Nook is like $300. Seeing as how I just downloaded many hundreds of dollars of manga to put on it, I think it's safe to say I've saved myself a bit of money in the long run. Besides the fact that most of these mangas haven't been published in English anyway.

One of the next entries in my blog is going to be instructions on how to convert manga, and it shall be glorious.

Robostar
04-18-2010, 02:30 AM
I thought this thread was on those GBA things called E-Readers. Boy was I wrong lol.

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Bosses/28%20-%20Umaro.gif

theundeadhero
04-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm going to buy one in a few months but don't know which one would be better yet. I want to use it the next time I depoly to combat. I hear a Kindle can download from everywhere now and doesn't need an internet connection to do it. Do the others do that too? That's a priority for me.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
04-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Yep. Totally just ordered one. My mommy is going to send it to me when it gets to her. I can't figure out how these smurfing FPO addresses work. :cry:

But, I'm still getting one, so I am happy. :D