PDA

View Full Version : I'M IN YOUR KITCHIN COOKIN YER MEALS~

Mogi
04-07-2010, 09:17 PM
My grandpa's teaching me to cook! I'm a really picky eater, and I'm loving the control I have over the flavours of my fewds! Grandpa's a wonderful chef, and now that I'm experiencing it, a wonderful teacher as well!

It's gave me a completely new outlook on food, which is rather drastic for me, because I'm really, REALLY picky. You have no fucking clue. I stress out about it so much. But learning all of this stuff about preparing food and maintaining flavour and drawing out flavour and all that other jazz has really changed my view on fewds and eating in general.

Anyway, now that my squee is over, do you like to cook? What'cha like cookin? Any secret recipes? :3

Peegee
04-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I love the question 'what do you know how to make' because the list is rather large. I like simple meals though, so you tend to see me eat eggs and chicken (whole chickens), steak and simple veggies/fruits for sides (say, steamed veggies)

I am capable of making creme brulee, which is also one of the most useless recipes I can make.

Flying Mullet
04-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Once I'm finished with grad school and have some evenings free again I would like to take some cooking classes to understand some of the basics of how flavors of foods change when you cook them and how they can interact.

Mogi
04-07-2010, 09:31 PM
PG, what's creme brulee and how does one cook it? I am eager to learn!

Also, it's really interesting seeing how all of the little stuff in the pan brings out all of the flavour! My first prepared meal was fried shrimp with pasta and cheese sauce, but the cheese sauce simmered in all of the left-over juices from the shrimp. Add salt, pepper, garlic, and jalepenos to taste, and oh my fucking god.

Today was stomp beef steak with onions, green beans, and celery, with rice for extra yumminess! I used half store-bought gravy and half home-made gravy (OH MY GOD AND IT WAS THICK *-*), with this really good pork seasoning for the green beans and celery. Lots of pepper and a little of the left over jalepenos with butter in corn as a side. It's all simmering now. I'll be eating it in about an hour. My mouth is all watery nau ;_;

I WANT TO COOK FOR PEOPLE. PEOPLE COME OVER SO THAT I CAN COOK FOR YOU.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-07-2010, 09:36 PM
As much as work kills the joy of cooking at times, I actually really enjoy cooking. Also, I prefer cooking for others than myself thus the reason why when I cook just for me it is usually super simple. Anyways, I am planning on going to culinary school for pastry in the winter! :D *crosses fingers*

I enjoying baking the most, but as long as I am not rushed, I really enjoy anything. I like the whole process working up to it, tasting every step and adding stuff for flavour.

A for secret recipes, none of my recipes are secret but I have a few that I am really proud of:

Clam Chowder: it might not be the best chowder ever but it is pretty good for someone who doesn't eat seafood, or so I am told.

Apple Pie-Cake: I dunno the proper term for what it really is but it is like the concept of an apple pie turned into a sorta cake.

Caramel: I am really proud of it since it is my own concoction (not that caramels are overly complicated to begin with), the only thing is I burn it/cause fireballs every other time. That's the price of putting whiskey in it. :p

I'm a bit critical of myself (and sometimes others but that is more or less when people don't bother to use seasoning, like seriously. Not even salt or pepper) since iof there is something I make and it doesn't come out perfect, despite what people tell me, I will mumble and be unsatisfied. So if my muffins taste like there is too much flour, or too much lemon zest in my pie-cake, something is slightly too salty (stupid cooking wine), or my caramel slightly burnt I will notice it and be like "I could've done better" even if my friends are like "It is good!" :/

Mogi
04-07-2010, 09:55 PM
What's your favourite meal to cook? O:

Rye
04-07-2010, 09:57 PM
I really enjoy making fried chicken cutlets and pasta.

Mogi
04-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Woo fried chicken and pasta! My grandpa also showed me this neat thing he does with chicken! You cut it open and put cheese inside, fry it, season to taste, and then eat it. All of the steps are good, but the last is wonderful <3

Chris
04-07-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty good at cookin' some traditional Filipino delicacies. Besides that, I'm an overall pretty good cook. :p

Madame Adequate
04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I can make any meal. That's why recipes exist.

Mogi
04-07-2010, 10:05 PM
What kind of Filipino delicacies? :3

But harnessing the recipe and making it your own - adding your own flavourful twists and turns to it - is the best part!

Rye
04-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Woo fried chicken and pasta! My grandpa also showed me this neat thing he does with chicken! You cut it open and put cheese inside, fry it, season to taste, and then eat it. All of the steps are good, but the last is wonderful <3

Oooh, is that how he does chicken cordon bleu? I love making that. My favorite is rolling the chicken in the flour!

But yeah, adding the zest is the best part. I like to put unusual things in pasta sauce to really give it pop. Sometimes I put chili sauce, sometimes lemon juice, sometimes soy sauce! It's so fun.

Shiny
04-07-2010, 10:39 PM
I like to cook with curry, noodles, and rice. I also like to make pancakes from scratch. And a few brains.

Oh, and I like to bake too because I have a vagina.

qwertysaur
04-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Cooking is playtime :zombert:

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-07-2010, 11:03 PM
As for meals, spaghetti is about my favourite to make. I make a nice hearty spaghetti sauce. :D

I decided tonight I am cooking myself a proper meal! I think this thread is influencing me, plus the fact that I want to do something (maybe I will even bake). Some pork chops in creamy mushroom sauce! Probably with mash and some veg. :D

Mogi
04-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Oooh, is that how he does chicken cordon bleu? I love making that. My favorite is rolling the chicken in the flour!

But yeah, adding the zest is the best part. I like to put unusual things in pasta sauce to really give it pop. Sometimes I put chili sauce, sometimes lemon juice, sometimes soy sauce! It's so fun.

I'm not sure what it's called, so it's very possible, perhaps even likely! Basically, you give the chicken a fry, and then, just before you take it off, you cut it down the center from the side - my grandpa calls this "butterflying," but I'm not sure if that's an official term. You peel back the chicken's top layer and sprinkle cheese on the inside. Then you close it back up, let it set for juuuust a second, and then take it off! The cheese melts the two pieces of chicken back together and it tastes WONDERFUL.

I decided to just pour the corn for tonight's meal in with the beef and gravy, and it was great. The meat was spicy from lots of pepper, but sweet from the corn. It was beautiful!

I like to cook with curry, noodles, and rice. I also like to make pancakes from scratch. And a few brains.

Oh, and I like to bake too because I have a vagina.
Pancakes are wonderful. My grandpa taught me to make them when I was reeeeaaally little, so I don't remember how to do it now XD

So, does having a vagina make one's baking of a better quality, or just make one enjoy baking more? Also, does it have to belong to the one baking, or can it be borrowed? O:

Cooking is playtime :zombert:
It is fun indeed!

As for meals, spaghetti is about my favourite to make. I make a nice hearty spaghetti sauce. :D

I decided tonight I am cooking myself a proper meal! I think this thread is influencing me, plus the fact that I want to do something (maybe I will even bake). Some pork chops in creamy mushroom sauce! Probably with mash and some veg. :D
I'm glad to have contributed to putting you in such an inspired mood! I hope you have a wonderful pork chop X3

Speaking of pork chops, I'm learning pork schnitzel tomorrow!

Miriel
04-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Today I am making roast beef tenderloin with creamy herbed potatoes and garlic greenbeans.

I'm excited cause I get to use my new fancy schmancy digital meat thermometer.

My favorite places to get recipes are The Pioneer Woman Cooks (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/) and Simply Recipe (http://simplyrecipes.com/).

It's hard for me to wrap my head around the technical aspects of cooking. Action and reactions and chemical stuff. It goes right over my head. I cook, if it doesn't turn out right, I throw it out. If it turns out right, yay! But often times I just go with my gut and hope for the best.

fire_of_avalon
04-08-2010, 01:56 AM
I am, sadly, not a very good cook. I love to look at food and to try new things, but it takes me a really long time and a lot of repeated mistakes before I can make anything decently.

Except cookies and pumpkin bread. I make those well. I wish I were a better cook, because I would totally throw dinner parties and have a kabillion friends.