PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Reccomendations

PaulinasKnight
04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Believe it or not FF13 is the only game I own for the PS3. What other games would you recommend for this console? I was thinking of picking up Sonic's Genesis Collection but technically it's just a compilation of old SEGA games.

I Don't Need A Name
04-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Unchartered Series, Heavy Rain, Fallout 3.

Thats the obligatorys out of the way.

Bolivar
04-08-2010, 09:56 PM
It all depends on what kind of genres you like. Ultimate Genesis Collection is an incredible value, especially with save states and HD-res remakes (trophies don't hurt either).

But in general we can say:

Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Unchartered Series, Heavy Rain, Fallout 3.

Thats the obligatorys out of the way.

pretty much.

My top 3 are Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War III, and Killzone 2.

Magixion
04-08-2010, 10:55 PM
I just picked up a PS3 for my birthday this last week, and I must admit, I was missing out on some AMAZING games. I have finished Heavy Rain, MGS4, Uncharted 1 and 2, and God of War 3. I would recommend any of those.

I am thinking of picking up Killzone 2, Resistance 1 and 2, Demon's Souls, and Valkyria Chronicles today or tomorrow. I feel that will sum up most of the exclusives I have missed out on.

Also, if you decide to pick up any multiplayer game or anything, I would be more than happy to play through it with you! :D

Robostar
04-08-2010, 11:14 PM
All I own on PS3 is FF XIII and Disgaea 3. :] Disgaea 3 is the best Disgaea in my opinion too.

Depression Moon
04-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Little Big Planet (P, but it can be practically anything online or offline if you create it yourself. My favorite out of this bunch)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (A)
Uncharted Drake's Fortune (AA)
Uncharted 2 Among Thieves (AA)
Heavy Rain (Adventure)
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (AP)
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Quest for booty (AP)
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (AP)
The Orange Box (5 games for less than $20)
Mirror's Edge (FPP)
God of War Collection (AA)
God of War III (AA)
Killzone 2 (FPS)
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (FPS)
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (FPS)
Battlefield Bad Company 2 (FPS)
Valkyria Chronicles (SRPG)

Super Street Fighter IV will be coming soon too and it's going to be huge.

AA = Action-Adventure
AP = Action-Platformer
FPP = First Person Platformer
FPS = First Person Shooter
A = Action
SRPG = Strategy Role Playing Game
P = Platformer

Slothy
04-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Battlefield Bad Company (FPS)

I agree with pretty much every game you named except these two. I wouldn't recommend Bad Company because BC2 is a far better game (but avoid it if you don't play online. Single player was pretty meh).

I can't recommend the Orange Box either but only because we're talking about a console version. Even if you don't have a PC that can play those games right now, you're still better off waiting until you do because of the sheer amount of extra content that has been released for TF2 that will never come to the PS3 version. If you don't play games online though then you can ignore this and get it anyway. TF2 is the only game in those five that's online, and you won't really miss anything with the others if you play on the PS3.

docta fizz
04-09-2010, 12:45 AM
The Orange Box
Portal is amazing!!! and the new modes are top notch

VeloZer0
04-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Obviously something like this relies heavily on preference. What kind of games are you usually interested in?
Also, do you own a 360 as well? There are plenty of multi-console titles worth getting, but obviously most people aren't thinking to recommend them as you asked about PS3 titles.

One of the great features the PS3 has over the 360 is access to the PSN store for free. So even if you aren't down with paying for multiplayer it gives you access to download a ton of demos. I'm on there ever week downloading every new demo that came out, just so I don't miss anything I might like. I would recommend going to the demos section and filling your hard drive up to get a good handle on what is out there.

Mo-Nercy
04-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Though it'll ultimately depend on your tastes, here's my collection for you to cast judgement upon. I don't have a lot of the more commonly agreed upon 'great games' for PS3 though, mostly because I'm not a fan of FPS.

Little Big Planet
Dynasty Warriors 6
Bayonetta
Final Fantasy XIII
Tekken 6
Soul Calibur 4

I could probably be classed as a Tekken and SC veteran, so these games were a no-brainer for me to buy. But might not be up your alley. Then again, they make for good games if you've got friends over.

I don't want to get into another heated debate over whether Bayonetta should be played on PS3 or not, but bottom line is that it's a great game and it's very playable on the console.

Little Big Planet is awesome fun. You can't go past it, I reckon. It'll be cheap these days as well.

And Dynasty Warriors I picked up super-cheap. It gets boring real quick, if you ask me. But if you'd heard about the Dynasty Warriors series before this, then you'd already know that. xD

Croyles
04-09-2010, 01:25 AM
You might also consider Batman Arkham Asylum (a great multiplat) and Wipeout HD Fury (which isn't for everyone, but awesome and challenging!).

You should at least try Valkyria Chronicles too.

Depression Moon
04-09-2010, 01:46 AM

I agree with pretty much every game you named except these two. I wouldn't recommend Bad Company because BC2 is a far better game (but avoid it if you don't play online. Single player was pretty meh).

I meant to post 2 didn't even know the first one was on PS3.

ljkkjlcm9
04-09-2010, 05:46 AM
You people are all absurd for not mentioning Demons Souls. It competes for best game of all time in my book. For multi-platform, Assassin's Creed 2 is great. Darksiders or Dante's Inferno are fun as well. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 or 2. White Knight Chronicles is pretty fun too.

Those are just some to add to the list.

THE JACKEL

Croyles
04-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Damn yes sorry Demon's Souls and Infamous are also musts!

And Assassin's Creed II, yes indeed.

Drift
04-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Prototype over Infamous for me

asukaevaunit02
04-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Burnout: Paradise - so much fun! (best driving game I've played, on ps3)

Little Big Planet - give it a try, I didn't think I would play something that looked so kiddy, but so much fun, especially multiplayer

Valkyria Chronicles - very unique and involving

kotora
04-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Little Big Planet, most of the other games are just your typical multiplatform sequel (of which most just suck or are boring). I paid only 15 euros for this game and it's by far the most fun I've had out of a PS3 game.

Zeromus_X
04-09-2010, 08:06 PM
RPG:

-Demon's Souls
-Disgaea 3
-Eternal Sonata
-Star Ocean The Last Hope International
-Valkyria Chronicles

Platforming:

-Little Big Planet

Fighting:

-BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Action:

-Infamous
-Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots
-Mirror's Edge (does this count as action?)
-Uncharted 1 and 2

Croyles
04-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Little Big Planet, most of the other games are just your typical multiplatform sequel (of which most just suck or are boring). I paid only 15 euros for this game and it's by far the most fun I've had out of a PS3 game.

I would disagree. I never ended up liking LittleBigPlanet much. Loved the creation tools and all, but the platforming itself felt very stiff and not very fun. IMO there are a lot of better games.

kotora
04-09-2010, 10:11 PM

I would disagree. I never ended up liking LittleBigPlanet much. Loved the creation tools and all, but the platforming itself felt very stiff and not very fun. IMO there are a lot of better games.

I had a great time playing with friend and solving the co-op puzzles. I agree that the controls are pretty stiff, but the platforming is fun and challenging.

Levian
04-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Shooting up a little 4 player Little Big Planet while having some beers before the party begins is great fun. :D Recommended!

Otherwise you're not getting any FPS, sports or fighting recommendations out of me, so if you like those genres, just ignore me. :D

Uncharted 1 and 2
Lego Indiana Jones 2 and Lego Harry Potter (will be released in May)
Resident Evil 5
Heavy Motherfucking Rain
Megaman 9 and 10
Final Fantasy XIII
Blue Toad Murder Files

Croyles
04-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Shooting up a little 4 player Little Big Planet while having some beers before the party begins is great fun. :D Recommended!

Otherwise you're not getting any FPS, sports or fighting recommendations out of me, so if you like those genres, just ignore me. :D

Uncharted 1 and 2
Lego Indiana Jones 2 and Lego Harry Potter (will be released in May)
Resident Evil 5
Heavy Mothersmurfing Rain
Megaman 9 and 10
Final Fantasy XIII
Blue Toad Murder Files

Haha that actually looks really charming :)

Rocket Edge
04-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Tekken 6 is fantastic! I play a lot of Call of Duty: World at War & Modern Warfare 2 also. Those games are really great for multiplayer online.

RPG's & so on, what people mentioned above.

Levian
04-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Blue Toad Murder Files

Haha that actually looks really charming :)

Yeah, it really is a gem. All the voice acting is done by one man, and he is brilliant. Some of his female voices really crack me up.

kotora
04-10-2010, 12:16 AM

BC1 is nice as a rental. Not that the campaign is anything special, but the jokes (ie Haggard) alone are pretty much worth it :p

PaulinasKnight
04-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone for their suggestions. :) I guess I should have been a little more specific to my personal tastes. I'm not really a fan of fighting games (a la Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter) or shooting games but I'll definitely give the RPGs a try.

Also are there any good multiplayer games that are fun to play with friends?

Rase
04-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Little Big Planet is a great non-shooter multiplayer game. As long as you aren't playing with a super-serious person it is great fun, and the puzzles can be genuinely tricky. Also, the aesthetic is fantastic in my opinion.

Other than that, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is a fun beat-em-up with friends, and can make for a great background game (something to play while just chilling or talking). The Lego games (Star Wars, Batman, etc) fall into this also. Aside from those there are a good number of sports and racing games (Motorstorm is supposed to be fun), but other than that I can't think of much on the non-shooter and fighter fronts.

razorrozar7
08-10-2010, 07:50 AM
There's a couple of interesting games that use the PS3 Eye:

Eye of Judgement. It's a card game where you have physical cards; you place them on a game mat and the eye scans them into the game. It's a very interesting game.

Trials of Topoq: You control a ball with the motions of your body. You have to guide it through an obstacle course to achieve various directives. So irritating it's incredibly fun. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlethsq3mffp09i?from=Main.SoBadItsGood)

I am also legally obligated to say Portal, Resistance, Portal, Call of Duty 4, Portal, and Dragon Age. Oh yeah, and Portal.

Mirage
08-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Of which Portal, CoD4, and Dragon Age is far superior on PC.

razorrozar7
08-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Just played First Slice on PC, and I tend to agree with you as far as that one, at least. I am now feverishly searching for a pirated full version. :jokey:

Goldenboko
08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Most of what's listed already, however you cannot play MGS4 if you haven't beaten 1, 2, and 3.

Dreddz
08-10-2010, 04:17 PM
I'd also like to throw out a big recommendation to Joe Danger. Stands next to Shatter as the best thing you can buy on PSN. I also played Infamous recently but could only stand about 5 hours of the game. Normally I would say it just wasn't for me but I honestly cannot see why people applaud that game so much. Its doesn't play all that great and ends up becoming really repetitive. The story had me at the start but doesn't seem to go anywhere particulary interesting. Avoid.

Bolivar
08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Most of what's listed already, however you cannot play MGS4 if you haven't beaten 1, 2, and 3.

Actually I've come to think that only people who have played MGS 1, 2, and 3 really feel that way. I've heard people who played 4 as their first MGS loved the game.

Shoeberto
08-10-2010, 08:56 PM

Actually I've come to think that only people who have played MGS 1, 2, and 3 really feel that way. I've heard people who played 4 as their first MGS loved the game.
You might love it, but the force of the narrative is reduced immensely having not played the previous games. If you just care about the gameplay (entirely reasonable; MGS4 has the best gameplay of the series) then it's no problem.

Rad Bromance
08-10-2010, 09:22 PM
I'd also like to throw out a big recommendation to Joe Danger. Stands next to Shatter as the best thing you can buy on PSN. I also played Infamous recently but could only stand about 5 hours of the game. Normally I would say it just wasn't for me but I honestly cannot see why people applaud that game so much. Its doesn't play all that great and ends up becoming really repetitive. The story had me at the start but doesn't seem to go anywhere particulary interesting. Avoid.
The story is freaking awesome if, you know, you actually give it a chance.

I agree that the gameplay gets repetitive fast though. I'm really hoping the sequel fixes that (as Assassin's Creed's sequel did).

Chris
08-10-2010, 10:55 PM
I just recently purchased a PS3, and that was solely because of LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, which is a fantastic game.

Another worth mentioning is: LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, which is quite possibly one of the best games ever created. It was recently placed 23rd on the "Best Games of All Time" list. :D

razorrozar7
08-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Yeah, you wouldn't expect it but the LEGO games are really cool. Except possibly Rockband.

Bolivar
08-10-2010, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't say inFAMOUS had a terribly great story, or people like Dreddz just don't "get it."

For me, it was a pleasantly surprising game with incredibly smooth gameplay that was genuinely fun to play, even with getting around the city. I think its acclaim comes from being a summer game, and a PS3-exclusive that the fanboys didn't get unreasonably hyped up over. It just came, and delivered. No flame wars except the extremists who had to paint Prototype as a better option simply because they didn't have a choice.

razorrozar7
08-11-2010, 06:03 AM
I forgot Brutal Legend.

And I am legally obligated to continue my overly long gag by saying Portal again.

Rase
08-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Folklore I heard was an excellent game. Shouldn't be terribly expensive either.

Loony BoB
08-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2. Honestly, just start with those two. Everything else can come later. Uncharted 2 is, alongside FFVII, the best game I've ever played.

Ramza Beoulve
08-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Aside of the already mentioned (MGS4, Assassin Creed II, Heavy Rain, Megaman 9 & 10, Shatter, Joe Danger, LittleBigPlanet, Darksiders, God of War III, etc.), I'm pretty sad no one mentioned 3D Dot Game Heroes already :(

McLovin'
08-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Heard Red Dead Redemption is good.

Demon's Souls is freakin good.

Everyone mentioned the good stuff already.

Guess that leaves Rock Band 2? :)

razorrozar7
08-15-2010, 09:08 PM
The Avatar game is cool.

And Portal.

DD99
08-17-2010, 11:13 AM
The Avatar game is cool.
No, it's not.

Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy XIII
She has that game and it sucks.

Dignified Pauper
08-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Castle Crashers on August 31... It's a must.

Nifleheim7
08-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Demon's Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
Flower
Mirror's Edge
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Resident Evil 5
Bayonetta
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Online
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty

evernic
08-31-2010, 02:41 AM
Fallout 3

razorrozar7
08-31-2010, 04:48 AM
Castle Crashers on August 31... It's a must.
forgot all about this one and also Scott pilgrim vs The World and I forgot to mention Heavenly Sword

:D

.... and portal