PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon Black & White

Jessweeee♪
04-09-2010, 04:57 AM
‘Pokemon Black’ and ‘Pokemon White’ Announced as the 5th Generation Games! (April 8th, 2010) « Games News « PokĂ©Beach (http://pokebeach.com/2010/04/pokemon-black-and-white-announced-as-fifth-generation-games)

Will the third title be Pokémon Gray?

Mo-Nercy
04-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Oooh. Interesting. I'm gonna guess it's some sort of light = good vs. dark = evil thing.

Skyblade
04-09-2010, 05:09 AM
Yes! Pokemon Black! I've been waiting for this since the release of Red and Blue! Finally, we'll get a chance to join Team Rocket and spread misery across the world, right?!

Wait, Pokemon White? Aww...

ljkkjlcm9
04-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Well, we know Zoroark will be in this game.

Sigh, I was doing fine, not playing Pokemons anymore, and then they had to release heartgold/soulsilver, and of course I was like, why not.

THE JACKEL

qwertysaur
04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Chloe.
04-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Sounds good :D

Aibbie
04-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Eck they won't stop coming D:

And for some reason I keep falling for them...my poor wallet....:(

Madame Adequate
04-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Confirmed Jynx exclusive to Pokemon Black

kotora
04-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I wonder how much the fear of being labelled as racist will keep people away from buying Pokemon White. And I'm not even kidding here either, it's probably gonna be a real reason for political whining in the US.

Jessweeee♪
04-09-2010, 05:23 PM

And for some reason I keep falling for them...my poor wallet....:(

I know! Every generation I'm like, "okay after this I'm done. No more buying the same game over and over, especially when I haven't even finished the last one." and then I do it anyway. If I hadn't been talked out of buying Soul Silver I'd have fallen into that trap again!

I wonder how much the fear of being labelled as racist will keep people away from buying Pokemon White. And I'm not even kidding here either, it's probably gonna be a real reason for political whining in the US.

Oh god please don't let them rename it to Light and Dark.

Robostar
04-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Confirmed Jynx exclusive to Pokemon Black

Lol i get it! thats good yo. what the exclusive for Pokemon White? and is any1 else sick of pokemon?

Depression Moon
04-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Damn, Nintendo's putting these things out a little fast aren't they? Might discourage the people who's always been playing them. i assume it's for DS and I don't have one of those right now and I doubt I'll be getting one soon, but I would love to play it. I haven't owned a Pokemon game since 2000.

Rase
04-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Eh, we'll see. The only Pokemon games I've enjoyed since Silver are it's newly-released remake and FireRed on GBA, so I'm skeptical I'll be getting this. Will keep and eye on it though, and who knows, maybe they'll get me with some twist or something.

I Took the Red Pill
04-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Confirmed Jynx exclusive to Pokemon Blackhahahahahhahskhdkghahrfj

Momiji
04-10-2010, 12:36 AM

People should do what I do and pick the game that has the cooler-looking Pokémon on it.

Oh, wait. Most logical people do that anyway. :p

Anyway...
:plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer: :plumcheer:

yay

Lol i get it! thats good yo. what the exclusive for Pokemon White? and is any1 else sick of pokemon?

Not in the least. I've been playing these games for 11 years or so and I still like them just as much as I used to. Well, sans Pokémon cards. I only care about the games themselves now.

Bunny
04-10-2010, 12:40 AM

If there is an uproar about something this retarded, I am moving.

Mo-Nercy
04-10-2010, 11:30 AM

If there is an uproar about something this retarded, I am moving.
It's why I didn't buy Pokemon Yellow. xD

No.78
04-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Nintendo STOLE MY IDEA. My fake Pokemon game concept was called Pokemon Black & White, then the third one would be called Twilight.

I'm waiting to see what other ideas of mine they've stolen. >: |

THEY BETTER PAY ME.

Rase
04-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Nintendo Everything (http://www.nintendoeverything.com/36842/) has some scans and slight analysis of them.

Skyblade
04-11-2010, 07:03 AM
The change in the battle scene to show the entire back of the Pokemon looks fun. Hopefully they'll also fix the Pokemon who look far less cool when fighting for you than when they do fighting against you when they implement that change (seriously, Mewtwo is an awesome looking Pokemon, why does he look so dorky from behind?).

Zoroark really needs a new name. Roark was the name of a gym leader, you don't just add "Zo" to the front to get a Pokemon.

Old Manus
04-11-2010, 04:54 PM
NEWLY LEAKED PLOT SPOILERS BELOW: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

You play as a young boy or girl living with his/her parent/s
Starting in a small town named on a theme along with the other towns and cities (theme as yet unconfirmed, possibly racial slurs such as 'Coon City' and 'Wetback Port' if initial reports are to be believed)
The player will get to choose one of three 'starter' Pokemon (rumours abound they will be of the 'fire', 'water', and 'grass' type) from a Pokemon researcher living nearby
The player will have a friendly rival whom s/he will engage in Pokemon battles throughout the game
As you progress through the game, you will battle with various 'gym leaders' who possess powerful Pokemon, and will bestow 'badges' upon the player on victory
Once all gym leaders have been defeated in Pokemon combat, the player travels to the 'Pokemon League' where s/he will battle a series of strong trainers before battling the current champion (whom the player will have met at some point during the game, in disguise). Upon victory, the player is named the new champion and the credits roll. If the player returns to the Pokemon League afterwards however, s/he will discover that being champion was actually a crock of :bou::bou::bou::bou: and the previous champion will forever remain there.

Yeah, I won't be getting it. Pokemon is boring as :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Momiji
04-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Zoroark really needs a new name. Roark was the name of a gym leader, you don't just add "Zo" to the front to get a Pokemon.

For the record, 'Zoroark' is just the romanized version of its Japanese name (ゾロアーク), so it's not positive if that will be its name in the English version. Seeing that Roark's name in the Japanese version of the game is Hyouta, I can safely say the connection is unintentional.

spoilers

That's shocking news!

Fonzie
04-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't quite know if I'm ready for another new title already. :p

Tavrobel
04-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Ohh, bitch, bitch, bitch.

The third installment should be Pokemon Rainbow, and the cover Pokemon should be a rainbow-colored Rapidash.

Momiji
04-11-2010, 06:32 PM
The third installment should be Pokemon Rainbow, and the cover Pokemon should be a rainbow-colored Rapidash.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/momijitsukuyomi/349px-AND_LIVE_IN_HARMONY_HARMONY.png

Someone should do some sprite editing.

qwertysaur
04-11-2010, 06:55 PM
I hope that there will be a grass/fire type :bigsmile:

Rebellious Eagle
04-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I haven't enjoyed any Pokemon game much since R/S/E, which were the best in my opinion. The 4th generation was awful and I hate the sprites on the DS. But I keep buying every new game because they're addicting anyway. >.<

Momiji
04-11-2010, 08:37 PM
The second generation is my favorite, and HG/SS reinforced that many times over.

EDIT: oh, right

@Tavrobel: http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/momijitsukuyomi/robotrapidashattack.png

No.78
04-11-2010, 09:09 PM
So, I reckon the legends will be light and darkness based.

Sorry Cresselia and Darkrai.

Polnareff
04-11-2010, 10:00 PM

What?

So lemme get this straight. We go from Green, Blue, and Red, to Yellow, to Gold and Silver, and Crystal, to Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, to Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, to HeartGold and SoulSilver, and what the hell do we arrive at?

Black and White? Ho-ly hell.

You'd think Nintendo would have come up with Black and White as titles way back in the Yellow/Gold/Silver days. :tongue:

kotora
04-11-2010, 10:01 PM
There was a Pokemon Green?

ljkkjlcm9
04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
yes there was a Green, in Japan.... hence LeafGreen and FireRed.

Maybe light pokemon will be a new type? We need something else strong against dark types, it's only fair! And... GASP, maybe light will be weak against NORMAL attacks... that would be interesting.

THE JACKEL

Momiji
04-12-2010, 12:08 AM
The Green version in Japan is our Blue version. Their Blue version is entirely different, and we never got that here.

Tavrobel
04-12-2010, 02:26 AM
You'd think Nintendo would have come up with Black and White as titles way back in the Yellow/Gold/Silver days. :tongue:

Black and White are epic tiers above the rest of the colors. Depending on who you ask, white (a physicist) and black (anyone who has played with play-doh) are a combination of all of the others.

Also, racism, which could mean that the third version would be Pokemon Brown.

black orb
04-12-2010, 03:00 AM
>>> I have always wondered why pokemon games are so popular..:confused::luca:

Momiji
04-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Virtual cockfighting. You can raise cutesy monsters to impale, maul, maim, burn, poison, freeze, shock, torment, torture, and pretty much slaughter your opponent's monsters. Easy enough for kids to play, yet deep enough for serious competitive play. It can be as simple as a game of rock-paper-scissors or as complex as you want it to be.

How could you not like them, is my question :p

Goldenboko
04-13-2010, 08:01 PM
NEWLY LEAKED PLOT SPOILERS BELOW: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

You play as a young boy or girl living with his/her parent/s
Starting in a small town named on a theme along with the other towns and cities (theme as yet unconfirmed, possibly racial slurs such as 'Coon City' and 'Wetback Port' if initial reports are to be believed)
The player will get to choose one of three 'starter' Pokemon (rumours abound they will be of the 'fire', 'water', and 'grass' type) from a Pokemon researcher living nearby
The player will have a friendly rival whom s/he will engage in Pokemon battles throughout the game
As you progress through the game, you will battle with various 'gym leaders' who possess powerful Pokemon, and will bestow 'badges' upon the player on victory
Once all gym leaders have been defeated in Pokemon combat, the player travels to the 'Pokemon League' where s/he will battle a series of strong trainers before battling the current champion (whom the player will have met at some point during the game, in disguise). Upon victory, the player is named the new champion and the credits roll. If the player returns to the Pokemon League afterwards however, s/he will discover that being champion was actually a crock of :bou::bou::bou::bou: and the previous champion will forever remain there.

Precisely why I won't be purchasing this game.

Jessweeee♪
04-13-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm skipping every other generation from now on, so I'm holding out for generation 6 xD

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-13-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm skipping every other generation from now on, so I'm holding out for generation 6 xD

I think you have a point. Gen II is awesome, Gen IV is awesome but Gen III isn't that appealing (though I am gonna buy Emerald today for the sake of getting a few Pokemon :P).

Gen I was cool too but Gen II was such an improvement! :D

I wonder what Gen V's area will be called and what part of Japan it will be based on?

Ouch!
04-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Given that this is looking to be such a visual departure from the rest of the series, I'd really like to see some innovation in other areas. Don't get me wrong, I love Pokemon just fine as it is, but five generations in, I'd like to see a bit more than ~100 new Pokemon to play with in a new region.

Game Freak has announced that this game will feature radical innovation in the series, so I'm interested to see how well they follow up on that. I wouldn't mind seeing something different from the standard set of six Pokemon with four ability movesets. There's certainly a degree of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but I'm curious to see how they could switch things up.

Skyblade
04-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Gen V is going to be in Orre, after wild Pokemon have returned to the region. It is going to have Shadow Pokemon (though not necessarily CIPHER), and a whole host of new Pokemon who have adapted to Orre's very intense recovering wasteland environment.

...Ok, I made that up, but it would be awesome.

Ouch!
04-13-2010, 11:16 PM
They've got night and day already, but I'd like to see more use of weather as conditions for pokemon appearing. I know certain areas have had certain weather imposed on them in the past, and there are the different weather effects which can be induced in battle by use of the correlating moves, but having the different areas change during certain weather would be interesting. Aside from having the effect be permanent in battles, it could have consequences for which pokemon would appear: water types become more frequent during rain, for example.

Edit: Obviously certain areas in certain games have permanent weather effects that are characteristic of specific routes, but I'm talking more about "realistically" cycling through weather patterns which could, potentially, be tracked through a weather forecast radio station.

Skyblade
04-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I found it really stupid in the Sinnoh games when you got the TV broadcasts saying "Route 224 is having a blizzard!". Really? You think? It's only been that way for the past year. The games badly need cycling weather, and more utility for weather effects.

Jiro
04-14-2010, 04:23 AM
I'm actually curious to see how this turns out. I'll do my best not to spend money on it though.

I'm rooting for Pokémon Grey too

Tavrobel
04-14-2010, 07:59 AM
I want Pokemon that can change type based on where you catch them. Think about it. Catching a Grass type Pikachu in the Viridian Forest, where it learns Magical Leaf instead of Swift at level 20whatever, even though regular Pikachu are available both in the Forest and everywhere else. Though I am aware that they replaced Swift in the level-moveset in favor of Thunderbolt.

More type combinations. Fire/Ghost. Fighting/Dark. Ice/Steel. How about some Pokemon that are not so obviously outclassed by every other Pokemon, whether it's PvP or PvE?

Skyblade
04-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh, c'mon, Tav. Everyone knows that Unown and Ledian are just awesome!

Unown should get a different abiliity. Given how much the Pokedex and now even an in-game event talks about them having strange powers in groups, they should get automatic stat boosts the more of them there are in your party. They'd still be unplayable, what with only one attack, but not so laughable pitiful.

Ouch!
04-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Ice type pokemon could use a buff. They're only resistant to their own type (why the hell doesn't ice resist water?) and have limited usefulness beyond killing dragons. They're also weak to many popular types, which makes them virtually unusable. On that note, nerf dragons. It was fine when there were like... maybe six dragon types, but there's a :bou::bou::bou::bou:-ton of them now, and they're just obnoxious.

Momiji
04-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Especially with the now-very-broken 120 power Outrage and Dragon Dance.

Old Manus
04-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Game Freak has announced that this game will feature radical innovation in the series

Nintendo game

innovation
:lol: Oh Game Freak, you so crazy.

Tavrobel
04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Unown should get a different abiliity. Given how much the Pokedex and now even an in-game event talks about them having strange powers in groups, they should get automatic stat boosts the more of them there are in your party. They'd still be unplayable, what with only one attack, but not so laughable pitiful.

Unown are such a weird case. There's 26+ of them flying around, and none of the forms are significant from the other, and all they do is change the visuals. It's not like a Burmy that changes type based on coat (environment). Now that is a good idea. In PvE, the environment has to affect how you play, because after a certain point, all you're doing to fighting the same five trainers over and over and over. You'd think that with "strange" powers, they would at least be good Psychic, Dark, or Ghost type users, and yet they are not. Hidden Power is only kind of cool.

I hacked a Ledian to have Megahorn. I roflstomped.

Ice type pokemon could use a buff. They're only resistant to their own type (why the hell doesn't ice resist water?) and have limited usefulness beyond killing dragons. They're also weak to many popular types, which makes them virtually unusable. On that note, nerf dragons. It was fine when there were like... maybe six dragon types, but there's a :bou::bou::bou::bou:-ton of them now, and they're just obnoxious.

If you throw some water onto an ice block, the block doesn't get bigger. If anything, depending on the temperature of the water, the ice might even melt. The water might even be salt water, which will cause all Hell to break loose. There's only so many empirical situations where a type could beat another type. The converse is that if you throw some ice at a cup of water, the water will simply displace, but ultimately not change shape unless the distribution pattern was disruptive enough to break the container: i.e, if you throw it hard enough so that :bou::bou::bou::bou: flies everywhere.

Which brings me to another point that I'm sure some people have heard before: why in the fuck does Psychic beat Poison?

Skyblade
04-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Look at all the great poisoners in history. They all had serious mental issues. Just one little mental suggestion would be all that it would take to get them to hurt themselves instead of their victims.

Momiji
04-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Huh, I never thought of it that way. I just thought they had some way of stopping the flow of poison with telekinesis or something :p

Ouch!
04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Hidden Power is only kind of cool.
Hidden Power is only cool when you can hack IVs to guarantee that it will be useful. Like my Jolteon with 70 Power, Ice type Hidden Power.

If you throw some water onto an ice block, the block doesn't get bigger. If anything, depending on the temperature of the water, the ice might even melt. The water might even be salt water, which will cause all Hell to break loose. There's only so many empirical situations where a type could beat another type. The converse is that if you throw some ice at a cup of water, the water will simply displace, but ultimately not change shape unless the distribution pattern was disruptive enough to break the container: i.e, if you throw it hard enough so that :bou::bou::bou::bou: flies everywhere.

Which brings me to another point that I'm sure some people have heard before: why in the smurf does Psychic beat Poison?
All fair points, but as you point out, the type arrangements aren't necessarily based upon empirical situations. Aside from the psychic/poison disjoint, there's also the question of how exactly bug gains offensive bonuses against psychic and dark types. I mean, it kind of sort of makes sense. Ice only has one type resistance while being weak to fire, steel, rock, and fighting, all of which are frequently used. Given that ice is really the only guaranteed means of countering dragon types, you'd think they'd allow them to not be so easily countered.

ljkkjlcm9
04-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Hidden Power is only kind of cool.
Hidden Power is only cool when you can hack IVs to guarantee that it will be useful. Like my Jolteon with 70 Power, Ice type Hidden Power.

well lucky you...

I only have a 67 ice hidden power on my jolteon, which was good enough for me.
I would buy the eevee(Celadon city), then turn to the guy and find out it's hidden power type. Then I went to a thing online at some site (i don't remember) where you type in the stats and stuff and find out the IV's and the strength of the hidden power. I was actually shooting for grass type, but when I got the 67 ice, I was like... good enough!

THE JACKEL

Evastio
04-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Here's a completely fake 5th Generation (http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2264/wharggarble.png) for those interested. You can tell it's fake because of how different the spriting style is from Zorua and Zoroark (the sprites are much more spacier than the ones of the two confirmed 5th Generation Pokemon).

Though I do admit it's pretty neat. I like how there's quite a lot of completely original designs, like Miroreflect, Silvicious, and Dunedrill. If I had to say which one I like best, it would be Nawale.

Tavrobel
04-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Look at all the great poisoners in history. They all had serious mental issues. Just one little mental suggestion would be all that it would take to get them to hurt themselves instead of their victims.

Well, Kefka took over the world, so shouldn't he be God type? Of course, that would also mean Water is weak to Poison. However, I think that would be a rather cool twist to the whole situation.

All fair points, but as you point out, the type arrangements aren't necessarily based upon empirical situations. Aside from the psychic/poison disjoint, there's also the question of how exactly bug gains offensive bonuses against psychic and dark types. I mean, it kind of sort of makes sense. Ice only has one type resistance while being weak to fire, steel, rock, and fighting, all of which are frequently used. Given that ice is really the only guaranteed means of countering dragon types, you'd think they'd allow them to not be so easily countered.

Well there are "defensive" and "offensive" types. Ice happens to be one of them, and we know about STAB. For those not in the know, it's good against Grass, Flying, Ground, Bug, and Dragon. There's a brickton of Pokemon that are useful that fall into category. Flying and Ground are pretty damn common, and Dragon, as you pointed out, needs a nerf anyways. More than half (if not almost all) evolved competitive Pokemon can learn Ice Beam (the quintessential Ice move), and that attack can sometimes cause Freeze, too. I would argue that Ice is fairly well balanced, even if it is on the "offensive" sliding scale.

As for the types that it is weak to, two of them are other "offensive" types, Fire and Fighting. You don't commonly see Rock and Steel offensive moves (but when you do, it's pretty hilarious due to how effective it is). Rock and Steel fill their niches quite well, as the types they are strong against can be filled out by other attacks with far less difficulty. Fire is useful in every situation due to having half of the attacks at 80+ power, but that offense is more on brute force rather than thinking, an apt spiritual comparison in my opinion. Defensively, Ice is only weak to two other offensive types, and what nutjob uses a Rock Pokemon to fight a glass cannon battle anyways?

I can understand Bug from an in-universe perspective: it's likely to be one of the first types you get, which means it gets stomped all over everything afterwards, but at the end of the game, you find out that it's superior to some of the intended "best" types, Ghost and Psychic (and if Psychic weren't broken at the time, you'd find Poison to be useful too, which Bug could also beat up on), like a true Rock, Paper, Scissors. Problem is, they forgot to give Bug a useful move with higher than 60 power, and give it to Pinsir or Scyther. Oops!

Skyblade
04-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Here's a completely fake 5th Generation (http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2264/wharggarble.png) for those interested. You can tell it's fake because of how different the spriting style is from Zorua and Zoroark (the sprites are much more spacier than the ones of the two confirmed 5th Generation Pokemon).

Though I do admit it's pretty neat. I like how there's quite a lot of completely original designs, like Miroreflect, Silvicious, and Dunedrill. If I had to say which one I like best, it would be Nawale.

You can also tell it is fake because most of those are sprite edits of other Pokemon, and how almost every Pokemon in there is part of a three Pokemon evolutionary family.

I like how that list shows Steelix as a Rock/Ground.

Some of those Pokemon aren't bad though.

Shiny
04-16-2010, 10:56 PM

They've got a lot love to give.

I for one, cannot wait for Pokemon Mauve.

No.78
04-17-2010, 06:30 PM

All I can say is thank god because that is a piss poor fakedex.

Loony BoB
04-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Tell me when they release a Pokémon game with every Pokémon able to be captured in one. Then I'll be interested. I honestly wish they would just start making them expansions instead of completely new games. I can sort of see the reasoning why they don't (features don't mix) but I can't stand how you basically need to buy every game to get all the Pokémon, and even then, you have to spend ages transferring them from one to another and even then there is a good chance you'll need to trade with someone who managed to get a Pokémon at some kind of exclusive event.

If they someday make a console version of this game I'd probably be all over it. But they won't. Sigh.

Rocket Edge
04-21-2010, 01:34 PM
^ Exactly why I'm not interested. Also, a console version of this would break record sales but they still keep it to hand-held devices. I remember thinking Pokemon in 3D would be great fun, but I don't think it will happen in the near future.

Loony BoB
04-21-2010, 02:05 PM
You know, for all the people calling Square money-grabbers for their spinoff games, at least they don't release two near-identical games for every release, the only difference between the games being some monsters.

Momiji
04-21-2010, 06:00 PM
To collect them all, I think the point was more 'connect with friends and trade between the two versions', and not 'you need to buy both games to collect them all'. Besides, collecting is one aspect of the game-- battling is another thing, and it's a lot deeper than you'd expect for a game that people of all ages can enjoy. The fact that 4th gen on has WiFi capabilities makes collecting and battling a whole lot more fun-- as well as being a lot easier than having to find friends locally who a) have a gameboy, b) have the opposite game, c) have a link cable, and d) have the Pokémon you want. Now you can do just that with anyone with a wireless connection around the world!

NorthernChaosGod
04-21-2010, 08:06 PM
To collect them all, I think the point was more 'connect with friends and trade between the two versions', and not 'you need to buy both games to collect them all'. Besides, collecting is one aspect of the game-- battling is another thing, and it's a lot deeper than you'd expect for a game that people of all ages can enjoy. The fact that 4th gen on has WiFi capabilities makes collecting and battling a whole lot more fun-- as well as being a lot easier than having to find friends locally who a) have a gameboy, b) have the opposite game, c) have a link cable, and d) have the Pokémon you want. Now you can do just that with anyone with a wireless connection around the world!

While all good and valid points, the catch phrase of the series is "Gotta Catch 'Em All."

And even with all those ways of connection, any other game that didn't come with all the necessary functions to beat it in the same game would bomb.

Loony BoB
04-22-2010, 10:17 AM
And I'll again pose the question: If Square Enix were to release two near-identical games - one of which had, say, half of the ultimate weapons, and the other which had the other half - would they or would they not be the biggest money grabbers the world has ever seen? And that's not even suggesting that Square Enix would require you to collect things from all the previous FF installments in order to get them on the latest game. For your argument's sake, we'll say trading is an option. But even then, it's still a joke and SE would be lambasted for such an idea.

Pokémon, to me, is nothing short of the biggest money grabbing excercise in gaming history. Not that I don't enjoy the games, but I don't enjoy the newer ones much by comparison because I don't manage to get even half of the actual number of Pokémon in a single game these days because I have to "collect them all" - as in, collect all the games.

You shouldn't need to trade.

Momiji
04-22-2010, 02:25 PM
There's a big difference between a game that is entirely single-player and a game whose most important facets are very multiplayer friendly, though-- not to mention that Final Fantasy is mostly for stationary consoles, not portable handhelds. If S-E were to make a two-version game with different ultimate weapons that one would have to trade to get, they wouldn't be the biggest money-grabbers the world has ever seen, because what can you do with them beyond that point? It's not like you can compete against each other in any other way-- and even if you could, you'd be limited to ~10 characters who would take turns smacking each other until the other one falls. I'd understand if they would make a multiplayer Tactics game, where you could have any assortment of characters in your party-- with the ability to trade characters with other people, however. As a matter of fact, I'd go out and buy it in a heartbeat. If S-E would make a Tactics game with local/online multiplayer, I think it would sell very well. Otherwise, you're making a connection that isn't as plausible with a normal FF game.

As far as Pokémon goes, one of your main goals is still to smack the opponent 'til they fall, but the number of combinations you can have in your party-- let alone builds and movesets-- are countless, and there's an enormous amount of depth that one could put into their strategy. However, if you don't want to do that, that's fine, too. If you simply want to play the game to completion, fine. If you want to play the game simply for the non-battle competitions in-game, that's fine too. If you want to collect all of them, it'll take more effort, but not as much as it used to, now that it's so much easier to connect with people. That's what makes Pokémon such an accessible game, since it's easy enough for a child to understand and enjoy, yet has enough options and depth for older folks like us to have fun with.

I'm not going to deny that it's the biggest money grabbing exercise in gaming history, but it has to be one of the most genius money grabbing excercises in gaming history as well, because it worked. :p

ljkkjlcm9
04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm not going to deny that it's the biggest money grabbing exercise in gaming history, but it has to be one of the most genius money grabbing excercises in gaming history as well, because it worked. :p

Actually, I'm pretty sure the biggest one would be MMO's. WoW and more notably FFXI. FFXI was designed with the exact purpose of being a cash cow for SqEx.

As for Pokemon... one way around it is to use an action replay. Yeah it's "cheating" but you can just make it so you can catch any pokemon you want. That doesn't hurt the game if it's the only code you use, and in fact can make it more fun... starting the game with say, eevee, at level 1.

THE JACKEL

Momiji
04-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure the biggest one would be MMO's. WoW and more notably FFXI. FFXI was designed with the exact purpose of being a cash cow for SqEx.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. MMOs aren't as accessible to as many people as Pokémon is, since you must have a decent computer with a good internet connection and be able to enjoy countless hours of grinding. The demographic for MMOs are much more limited. Pokémon, on the other hand, can appeal to any age group, and are much less of a financial investment than MMOs are. Even if you're pressed for cash, it won't take much out of your pocket to go to a secondhand game shop and pick up an old Game Boy and a used copy of Pokémon R/B/Y/G/S/C-- and it doesn't cost a monthly fee to play them, either. There's also the fact that Pokémon has spawned tons of merchandise and an ongoing children's TV show that keeps kids whining for more.

You're right when you say MMOs are a huge cash cow, since they are, but I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that they have a much more limited demographic with more limited accessibility holds them back.

Rase
04-22-2010, 03:28 PM
While all good and valid points, the catch phrase of the series is "Gotta Catch 'Em All."
MGS's catchphrase is "tactical espionage action". That mean I can't win if I run-n-gun like a mad man with no tactics at all? Left 4 Dead's whole thing was "It's a Zombie Apocalypse. Bring friends." So if I beat the game alone and never play with someone I know I can't beat it? I'm sure we can agree that it would be silly to make either of these claims; I would simply be missing out on certain aspects of the games that the developers wanted me to take advantage of. Catching all Pokemon is not "beating" the game, as there is a contained storyline in the games. It's something you do because you want to, but you're more than welcome to beat the games with three Pokemon. If you feel the need to collect every 'mon (along with event-special ones who know specific moves) than that's your deal.

And even with all those ways of connection, any other game that didn't come with all the necessary functions to beat it in the same game would bomb.
The Megaman Battle Network and Starforce, most "mon" games (Digimon, Metabots, etc.), and the PSP Tactics remake (for some uber equipment) are games I can think of off the top of my head. While none of those were likely multi-million sellers, they still weren't considered bombs I believe.

And I'll again pose the question: If Square Enix were to release two near-identical games - one of which had, say, half of the ultimate weapons, and the other which had the other half - would they or would they not be the biggest money grabbers the world has ever seen? And that's not even suggesting that Square Enix would require you to collect things from all the previous FF installments in order to get them on the latest game. For your argument's sake, we'll say trading is an option. But even then, it's still a joke and SE would be lambasted for such an idea.
I think making certain party members accessible along with weapons would be a better analogy, but that's just me. I'm also with Momiji on the lack of multiplayer (and strategy in it should it be included) would not make this as successful. There's also the issue of Square Enix not being known for making multiple cartridges for a game; Pokemon has only ever been released this way, and is massively popular for it. Pokemon was originally released in America at the perfect time, when Beanie Babies and such were in full swing and the freaking country was in a collecting mode.

You shouldn't need to trade.
Sorry, but removing a key part of a game doesn't make it better. The original games were spawned from Satoshi Tajiri's bug-collecting/battling hobbies, and his fascination with the inclusion of the link cable in the original Game Boy. Good ol' Miyamoto was the one with the whole multiple cartridges thing, and while since it may have become more of a money-grab at the time you have to think that they had no idea how this would be received. The popularity and massive sales numbers [for an original Gameboy game in '96 (Japan)/ '98 (NA)] certainly gave Nintendo a precedent to follow and an understanding that the multiple carts were a key factor in the sales. There is no reason to go back, and they likely aren't sure it would sell as well if they only announced one version.

:twocents:

Loony BoB
04-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Note: I didn't say you shouldn't be able to trade.

Skyblade
04-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Bob, they already made a console version of Pokemon. Pokemon Colloseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, for the Gamecube (don't get the Wii's Battle Revolution, it has no story mode). They are, in my opinion, easily the best games in the entire series. They have a far deeper plot, and an entirely different focus than the GBA games. Only very particular Pokemon can be captured, and only one of each (a couple wild Pokemon are availible in XD, and you can trade with the GBA games from either GC game). There are no HMs or Gyms to worry about, instead, the progression is all tied directly do the story. The games are awesome, and I am really looking forward to another sequel.

I think making certain party members accessible along with weapons would be a better analogy, but that's just me. I'm also with Momiji on the lack of multiplayer (and strategy in it should it be included) would not make this as successful. There's also the issue of Square Enix not being known for making multiple cartridges for a game; Pokemon has only ever been released this way, and is massively popular for it. Pokemon was originally released in America at the perfect time, when Beanie Babies and such were in full swing and the freaking country was in a collecting mode.

The big problem that this has that even Pokemon doesn't is the plot connection. Each character in an FF game has storyline and dialogue connections. It would be two entirely seperate games.

A closer analogy would be like FFV or FFT, with different jobs for each game, rather than different characters.

Momiji
04-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Bob, they already made a console version of Pokemon. Pokemon Colloseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, for the Gamecube (don't get the Wii's Battle Revolution, it has no story mode).

Whoa, don't be hatin' on PBR, man. I liked the lack of a throwaway plot and the ability to battle people online in 3D using my own party from a DS game. :p

NorthernChaosGod
04-22-2010, 07:04 PM
MGS's catchphrase is "tactical espionage action". That mean I can't win if I run-n-gun like a mad man with no tactics at all? Left 4 Dead's whole thing was "It's a Zombie Apocalypse. Bring friends." So if I beat the game alone and never play with someone I know I can't beat it? I'm sure we can agree that it would be silly to make either of these claims; I would simply be missing out on certain aspects of the games that the developers wanted me to take advantage of. Catching all Pokemon is not "beating" the game, as there is a contained storyline in the games. It's something you do because you want to, but you're more than welcome to beat the games with three Pokemon. If you feel the need to collect every 'mon (along with event-special ones who know specific moves) than that's your deal.
You're kidding me, right? All of the catchphrases deal with in-game events.

Tactical Espionage Action != being sneaky

You do know what those words mean, right? Secondly, no matter how you play, the story doesn't change. That's still what the games are about.

And you know in Left 4 Dead that no matter if you play with other people or not, you're still part of a group in the game?

The Megaman Battle Network and Starforce, most "mon" games (Digimon, Metabots, etc.), and the PSP Tactics remake (for some uber equipment) are games I can think of off the top of my head. While none of those were likely multi-million sellers, they still weren't considered bombs I believe.

Admittedly, I haven't played any of those games. Aside from the "mon" games, what's the deal?

04-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Technically, starting with Gen III S/R/E, they no longer use the "Gotta Catch 'Em All" catch phrase on the games.

Ouch!
04-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Technically, starting with Gen III S/R/E, they no longer use the "Gotta Catch 'Em All" catch phrase on the games.
Because attempting to is bloody obnoxious. HG/SS are pretty solid as far as being able to to obtain all but about 40 pokemon in the titles. With the use of the GTS, obtaining any of those 40 pokemon is also not at all difficult.

Skyblade
04-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Because attempting to is bloody obnoxious. HG/SS are pretty solid as far as being able to to obtain all but about 40 pokemon in the titles. With the use of the GTS, obtaining any of those 40 pokemon is also not at all difficult.

All except Celebi, who is supposedly going to be an event sometime soon.

I'm glad Nintendo is finally getting off their high horse and making the majority of event Pokemon (especially the legendaries) so much easier to obtain. Let them keep the shinies and the special move Pokemon for the big events. Just being able to get all of them by going to Gamestop or Toys'R'Us is a huge step forward.

Now they need to get over their last hurdle and just make them DLC that are availible any time, rather than one particular week.

Momiji
04-24-2010, 04:04 PM
All except Celebi, who is supposedly going to be an event sometime soon.

I'm glad Nintendo is finally getting off their high horse and making the majority of event Pokemon (especially the legendaries) so much easier to obtain. Let them keep the shinies and the special move Pokemon for the big events. Just being able to get all of them by going to Gamestop or Toys'R'Us is a huge step forward.

Now they need to get over their last hurdle and just make them DLC that are availible any time, rather than one particular week.

Yeah, can't wait for Celebi. I've wanted a legit one for over a decade now, and I'm not kidding. It comes with Nasty Plot, too! :D

But yeah, I'm happy that it's easier to do, too. Sometimes they distribute stuff so you can obtain them right from the comfort of your home-- that's how I got my shiny Pichu that unlocks the Spiky-eared Pichu.

04-25-2010, 05:49 PM
I think there should be more Wi-Fi releases in North America. I was sorta annoyed when they had one at GameStops but for some reason did not apply to the GameStops (otherwise known as EB Games here) in Canada. :/ I dunno if the same are is true about the Toys 'R' Us releases, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. :/

Momiji
05-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Silhouettes of the Black/White starters! (http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon.shtml)

Evastio
05-10-2010, 04:45 PM
One step ahead of you Momiji:
http://www.justpushstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/starters-bw.jpg

Even the source (http://www.justpushstart.com/2010/05/09/rumor-pokemon-black-white-starter-pokemon-silhouette-unmasked/) says it's likely to be fake, though. And I'm hoping insanely that it is. Though if it is real at least it'll get more people to choose the grass starter and less people to choose the fire starter, for a change.

Agent Proto
05-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Duh, of course it's fake. (http://rodentruler.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-BW-Starters-163413067)

Momiji
05-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Those are absolutely fake, seeing that it's even been said that they'll be revealed next Sunday.

Skyblade
05-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Also, wasn't Piplup the most popular from D/P?

Oh, and while the image may be fake, the silhouttes seem to have a lot of support.

Evastio
05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
I think so. Though I'm pretty sure the fire starters for the first three generations were the most popular.

Anyways, the 5th Generation Starters have now been officially revealed by CoroCoro:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii157/Kyudi/5thGenerationStarters.png

I have to say, I like them all rather equally. I guess the one I'll start with depends on which final evolution I like the best.

Also, is it just me, or am I the only one having a hard time thinking about what the evolutions for the 5th Generation Starters will look like? I had a similar problem with the 4th Generation starters as well when they were first revealed. So far, I'm guessing the grass starter will be some sort of salamander dragon, with leaves or grass along its long body, the fire starter will either look like a sumo wrestler pig with tusks, or a wild boar with flaming hair, and the water starter will look like a bulky sea weasel with sharp claws, feet, and fangs.

Also, here's a compilation of fake starters that I looked up yesterday:

http://i39.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/53aa74.jpg

http://pokebeach.com/news/0510/starter-pokemon-fanart/shiny-scyther.jpg

http://pokebeach.com/news/0510/starter-pokemon-fanart/prinplush.jpg

http://pokebeach.com/news/0510/starter-pokemon-fanart/blazegryph.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4055/pokemanz.png

http://s52.radikal.ru/i138/1005/96/e5ca50ef1426.jpg

http://s53.radikal.ru/i139/1005/c9/a725bc9b2d9d.jpg

http://cache-03.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/05/500x_bw8.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7839/3grassstarters.png

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5122/grassstarter.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7974/firestarterw.jpg

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1258/waterstarter.jpg

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs70/300W/i/2010/130/3/a/Pokemon_Black_White_Starters_by_luckybaka.png

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5099/newpokemonstarters.png

Momiji
05-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Even if it looks like a revamped Bidoof, the water starter is adorable. That's what I'm going to pick!

Rase
05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
So Fire/Dark, Water/Ice, and Grass/???

I'll probably so my usual and go with Water. That otter is adorable.

Momiji
05-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I wonder if they'll make the starters dual-typed with Psychic, Dark, and Fighting types, but so they all counter each other, kind of like...

Fire/Dark
Grass/Fighting
Water/Psychic

Agent Proto
05-12-2010, 07:47 PM
I can definitely see how the fire-piggy could end up being a dual type starter with Fire/Dark, and the red nosed otter could be Water/Ice most likely. I don't know about the Grass starter though, but I hope it's final evolution turns up with wings like Charizard, as we're kinda overdue for another final evolution that has Flying as a second type.

Skyblade
05-13-2010, 08:29 AM
So far I like the Grass type one the best, which is unique in my playthroughs (Grass is usually one of the least visually appealing to me). I hope its final evolution looks better than Sceptile does, though.

Jessweeee♪
05-16-2010, 04:17 AM
Just once I would like to have a ghost starter :(

Momiji
05-16-2010, 04:18 AM
Have some in-game footage. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2QG0Ibob44)

Skyblade
05-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Just once I would like to have a ghost starter :(

People have been calling for a different trio for a while now. Dark/Psychic/Fighting being the most popular.

I have to admit, these three types are getting a little tiring. There are plenty of trios to use, why do they just use the one?

Evastio
05-17-2010, 03:47 AM
I could imagine quite a lot of imbalance with other starter type trios.

Dark/Psychic/Fighting for example, has Dark being immune to Psychic, while Psychic is resistant to Fighting, and Fighting is resistant to Dark. That'd make choosing the Psychic starter give you a much bigger disadvantage than choosing the other two starters, given that battles with your rival are much tougher than regular battles.

Another example would be Ice/Steel/Ground. Steel is resistant to normal, which is the most common attack type at the start of Pokemon games. That would give Steel starters a much bigger advantage at the start than the other two starters would have. As for a Ghost starter, that'd be insanely cheap since that starter would have an insanely hard time getting damaged at the start, seeing how most Pokemon can only do normal type moves.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm shooting your guys' ideas down, but I just wanted to point out one of the reasons why Game Freak likely hasn't changed the starter types yet.

Evastio
05-31-2010, 07:53 PM
They've revealed the new legendaries for Black and White, which are Zekrom (right) and Reshiram (left), respectively.

http://pokebeach.com/news/0510/reshiram-zekrom.jpg

What's strange is, even the English Official Pokemon Site has revealed them and stated their Japanese names, which probably means that their names are the same in Japanese and English. It's also strange how they're the only Pokemon that have been officially revealed to English audiences by Game Freak, and the other five haven't been (Zorua, Zoroark, and the starters).

Anyways, I find them both to be really cool and original. As for which one I like better, I'm kind of siding with Reshiram right now, seeing how dark dragons with glowing eyes are a lot more overdone than heavenly, ferocious, beast looking things (and I've always been more partial to light than dark). Though I find Zekrom slightly beats Reshiram in terms of coolness.

Momiji
05-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Not respectively-- Reshiram is the white one and Zekrom is the black one.

Evastio
05-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Oh, yeah. :sweat:

It's just that the 5th Generation Pokemon Games are always listed as Black and White, and never White and Black, so I named them in the listed order and not the picture order. I fixed up my previous post to make it less confusing.

Momiji
05-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Either way, I think Reshiram looks cooler, so I think I'll be picking up Black version when it comes out.

Agent Proto
05-31-2010, 10:04 PM
I find it odd how they listed a 'white' Legendary to mascot the 'Black' version and the 'black' Legendary to mascot the 'White' Version.

Momiji
05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
I dunno, it kind of looks neat.

Ultima Shadow
06-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Pokémon, to me, is nothing short of the biggest money grabbing excercise in gaming history.
Gotta Buy 'Em All (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsBbdsbDaAY)

Evastio
06-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Lots of new Pokemon were revealed today on Serebii (http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml).

They're all rather neat. Though Hihidaruma is rather, messed up looking. I guess my favourite out of the newly revealed batch would either be Shimama or Munna.

Reshiram's and Zekrom's types suprise me, at least their respective fire and electric types. The female professor is quite a twist as well.

qwertysaur
06-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Gear is pretty cool, and when I first saw Reshiram and Zekrom my first reaction was to call them kitties :bigsmile:

When I catch a Shimama it must be named Ixion though. :p

The mascots being the reverse of their version color makes a lot of sense given the types of Yin and Yang respectively. The plot is likely going to be about the evil team throwing of their balance to take over the world or something :p

Momiji
06-12-2010, 01:48 AM
The new Psychic-type one is kinda cute.

Hambone
06-12-2010, 06:01 AM
The new Psychic-type one is kinda cute gross.

I agree. It looks like a sea pig. Ewwwwwwwwwww http://raykollbocker.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/sea-pig.jpg

Proxy
06-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Thats just fantastic. I'm super pumped. Wannnna tap it.
er get it.

Markus. D
06-14-2010, 03:05 AM
Pokémon, to me, is nothing short of the biggest money grabbing excercise in gaming history.
Gotta Buy 'Em All (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsBbdsbDaAY)

The reason is, is because it's one of the most Solid RPGs that cater to both casual and hardcore.

Rase
06-28-2010, 03:44 PM
New trailer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf83RqrBcZ0&feature=player_embedded#!)

3 on 3... I dunno about this.

qwertysaur
06-29-2010, 01:31 AM
three on three looks like it will be a lot of fun though :D

Skyblade
06-29-2010, 06:26 AM
It probably will be. Unfortunately, like 2 on 2, it will be massively underutilized and ignored, making you wonder why they bothered with it in the first place.

Any idea yet what "Team" we'll be facing as the psychotic evil villains? We've had Team Rocket, Team Aqua, Team Magma, Team Snagem, Team Galactic... Here's hoping it's Team Four Star! :D

Chris
06-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Haven't been keeping up with all of the updates, but I hope that the "having a Pokémon follow" addition remains intact for Black & White. I loved the recent Johto remakes.

Momiji
07-01-2010, 02:36 AM
From what I've heard, yeah, they do.

Chris
07-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I tend to agree with a lot of the critics saying that the entire gaming franchise are in need of a serious update, but I still buy the damn games. To be fair, the recent remakesof the Johto area are the best games thus far, but that is mostly because the second generation was the best to begin with. I don't know, once you've finished the main storyline, it just gets a little boring. Sure, a lot of "extra" stuff to do and lots of Pokémon to catch and train... the extra stuff is boring, and even if you perfect your team, you are still stuck in a boring world without much else to do but catch more Pokémon, and re-battle pathetic Gym Leaders. Even that have become a bore, as you can only battle them on specific days of the week.

I just want more. :(

Yue Kitsune
07-04-2010, 02:46 AM
i kinda agree, although the new pokemon they've revealed do look promising.
what they need is a bit of a darker story in my opinion. something beyond, 'O NOES! TEAM whatever is doing some dasterdly thing in a really round about and kinda half harted way.' about the most evil thing any of the groups did was take Silph Co. hostage. but that's all they did, they could have held the whole city ransom from that building, just blasting anything that moved and instead they lock the door to the presidents office.

Lawr
07-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Here's hoping it's Team Four Star! :D

LET'S HOPE.