PDA

View Full Version : MGS4

arcanedude34
04-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Does it get better? Just got this game for my birthday, and so far I'm AMAZINGLY underwhelmed. Just wondering if it gets better soon (just met Drebin, REALLY hate him)

kotora
04-09-2010, 04:48 PM
The first two acts are about 75% of the fun (and gameplay time) in this game. My theory is that Kojima left the game to be handled by Michael Bay and JK Rowling after that, just to troll the fans.

arcanedude34
04-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh. If the game's beginning is the better part, then I think I may just return it, because I was playing through waiting for it to get good. At all.

Depression Moon
04-09-2010, 06:11 PM
The whole game was fun for me. I just had to get used to the controls. I can't remember too much from it, but I played it mostly for its story.

kotora
04-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh. If the game's beginning is the better part, then I think I may just return it, because I was playing through waiting for it to get good. At all.

that's probably the best course of action. If I knew how hard this game would troll me I wouldn't have played it either. Or at least not past the first two acts (though the fourth one is awesome for its nostalgia factor). How come you didn't like them?

Shoeberto
04-09-2010, 06:43 PM
I... loved it, all the way through. I thought they did a wonderful job adding new game mechanics and the story kept my attention wonderfully. True, the cutscenes get a little long, but in the end it does provide a great resolution to the story.

Act 3, I believe, is the first act that really requires you sneak exclusively. You can get through the other parts with stealth, though you're also given the option to run-and-gun. I would play at least until you get to experience that. It was one of my favorite parts of the game. If you still aren't enjoying yourself at that point, then you may want to return it.

arcanedude34
04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
It just lacks the same feel, I think, as the other games. It feels more like a straight shoot-'em up, which I despise. The mapping is terrible, and lacks any sense of direction. This is the first game I'm finding myself getting turned around and having no clue where to go. And the third game was set in a mostly featureless jungle.

I hate how useless the camo is in this game. The cutscenes go on far longer than necessary. Yes. I get it. Drebin likes war. Can we move on?

I may end up just watching the cutscenes on YouTube, as I mostly bought this game for a resolution to the plot (or a continuation because of the two PSP games announced, but whatever.)

Shame, because it looked like a great game from what I had seen.

kotora
04-09-2010, 07:56 PM
What do you mean camo is useless? It's way more useful than in the third game. Plus you can sneak around if you want, MGS has always been about choosing between sneaking or just shooting everyone. And there's a map that tells you where to go.

But if you don't like it then there's nothing to be done about that. But I can assure you that the ending sucks balls (unless you like the cornyness of Harry Potter) and it's a pain in the ass to watch over 9 hours of cutscenes.

Raebus
04-10-2010, 01:11 AM
I had it for a while, beat it and traded it in. Some of the cut scenes were too long and for some of them I just nipped downstairs for a cup of tea and came back up to find they were STILL playing. I loved the first three, so I am a fan of the series but oh man, MGS4 was such a bore at times.

Shattered Dreamer
04-10-2010, 01:21 AM
I'm sorry but are you guys playing the same MGS4 I did:confused:

arcanedude34
04-10-2010, 02:39 AM
Apparently. I want his copy. D:

Dreddz
04-10-2010, 11:52 AM
I found the first two acts the most enjoyable. It was kinda downhill from there for me. Overall I enjoyed the game but once I was done with the campaign I really had no reason to go back to it. Dont hate on me my PS3 brethren!

Shattered Dreamer
04-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I found the first two acts the most enjoyable. It was kinda downhill from there for me. Overall I enjoyed the game but once I was done with the campaign I really had no reason to go back to it. Dont hate on me my PS3 brethren!

I'll agree that once the story is done there isn't much left to do with the game (I'm not much of an online gamer you see) but were you not tempted to play again on a higher difficulty? I started playing MGS4 on Big Boss Hard a few hours a week just before I bought FFXIII & I find an increase in difficulty takes the game to a whole other level! Plus having not played the game for several months I got drawn right back in by the story & as a game play experience MGS4 is still one of the most intense experiences on the PS3! Boring is never a word that crosses my mind when I play MGS4 sorry guys!

Pete for President
04-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Loved every single second of it. There's no denying how much this game has been polished.

Cutscenes aside, the pace and variety in objectives and events is amazing. I recommend you at least get to act 4. If that doesn't get you psyched to keep playing then it's a hopeless cause.

KentaRawr!
04-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Can I have your disc? :p

Depression Moon
04-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Loved every single second of it. There's no denying how much this game has been polished.

Cutscenes aside, the pace and variety in objectives and events is amazing. I recommend you at least get to act 4. If that doesn't get you psyched to keep playing then it's a hopeless cause.

You can't deny that a good chunk of the boss fights were lame though.

JKTrix
04-11-2010, 12:59 AM
If you haven't gone back to the game since you beat it (in 2008), there might be something of interest for you to check out.

6 months after the game released, they started releasing more of the MGS4 Integral podcasts, and these ones did a sort of walk-through of specific areas of the game that told you some neat behind-the-scenes type stuff. I thought it was really neat, a lot like what Valve has done in the past.

LunarWeaver
04-11-2010, 02:35 AM
I really love the game. All the way through. The only cinematic I felt went overboard was the end. He needs an editor or something that tells him when to stop.

Shoeberto
04-11-2010, 02:47 AM

I will give you that. Mechanics-wise, they were varied, but they had no personality, which made them totally forgettable. Drebin's anecdotes post-battle did give a little depth to the characters, but considering you get none of that the whole time leading up (other than "I WANT TO HEAR YOU SCREAAAAM/WHY AM I ALWAYS CRYYYYYYING/I'M SO ANGRYYYYYYYYY" which just doesn't cut it) it was hard to find any of them memorable.

kotora
04-11-2010, 04:00 AM
The B&B unit was like the retarded version of the Cobra unit. And they were pretty retarded by themselves, so that's saying a lot.

Pete for President
04-11-2010, 06:52 PM

I will give you that. Mechanics-wise, they were varied, but they had no personality, which made them totally forgettable. Drebin's anecdotes post-battle did give a little depth to the characters, but considering you get none of that the whole time leading up (other than "I WANT TO HEAR YOU SCREAAAAM/WHY AM I ALWAYS CRYYYYYYING/I'M SO ANGRYYYYYYYYY" which just doesn't cut it) it was hard to find any of them memorable.

I must admit they are indeed not very memorable story and character-wise. On the other hand, on my first playthrough I did find (several spoilers throughout the whole game ahead; )the first 3 of the B&B squad battles really intense to a level where it was almost kinda scary. They weren't easy and I think that's quite rare nowadays.

Also, I remember myself being so so so cautious when I first attempted the sniper boss, I was actually afraid to leave the safetyness of the conveniently placed truck.

In conclusion; compared to the other MGS games the bosses in MGS4 are only second to MGS1 in my opinion.

Shoeberto
04-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah, like I said, the mechanics of the battles where intense and creative. However, considering how the bosses in the other games usually have a solid mixture of unique gameplay ideas and interesting personalities, it felt like I only got half of the package with these guys.

Shattered Dreamer
04-12-2010, 11:45 AM

I must admit they are indeed not very memorable story and character-wise. On the other hand, on my first playthrough I did find (several spoilers throughout the whole game ahead; )the first 3 of the B&B squad battles really intense to a level where it was almost kinda scary. They weren't easy and I think that's quite rare nowadays.

Also, I remember myself being so so so cautious when I first attempted the sniper boss, I was actually afraid to leave the safetyness of the conveniently placed truck.

In conclusion; compared to the other MGS games the bosses in MGS4 are only second to MGS1 in my opinion.

I honestly couldn't agree more! I remember I first time I fought Raging Raven & Crying Wolf it was so intense my t-shirt was drenched in sweat (which was gross!) There aren't very many games I've played that are intense to that degree!

Bolivar
04-13-2010, 06:51 PM
To each his own I guess.

I would say you should play it at least until you complete Act 2 - there's a lot of insane scenarios there. Even if you're underwhelmed by it, is it really worse than 75% of the games the average person keeps anyway?

I was just amazed at how well the cutscenes were directed, with the camera angles, dialogue, and presentation of the action. The introduction of the Irving/Gekko was nothing short of brilliant to me.

I think people got confused by how much action is going on and didn't realize just how insane and deep the stealth is in this game. Sneaking through these battlefields made this the most intense Metal Gear game I've ever played. If you don't like that, then I really can't help you.

Lastly, how can you get lost? You pretty much always go north, your destination is clearly marked on your map, as is your position.

Alucard von Elru
04-15-2010, 09:56 PM
What difficulty are you playing on? This honestly is one of the few games I've played where there is a huuuge difference between the settings. When I first played the game at release, I didn't own a PS3. So, I borrowed a friend's and only had a single week to finish it. I played on Liquid Easy, and went through the whole game as a straight-up shooter (even a little bit in Act 3).

Recently, I replayed the game at a much more relaxed pace. I went up to Naked Normal, not expecting it to be much different. That playthrough was a much greater balance of stealth and shooting. I had to be very aware of my surroundings, and exploited both. Additionally, I never used any CQC moves on my first playthrough, and now I use basic CQC tactics frequently. I will absolutely say that I had an even greater time playing the game a second time!

I have very few personal issues with the game. The control scheme is a bit unintuitive at first, although is a vast improvement over MGS3's. It became second nature after a while, and I feel it is justified given the breadth of Snake's moveset. He has more techniques at his disposal than in any game of this type I've seen.

Other than that, I still think the story is at many times too divorced from the gameplay. The first two acts provide some meaty gameplay, but Act 3 is basically all cutscenes/setpieces after the incredibly deep "stalking" scenario (seriously deep: there are far too many routes and options, secrets, and it changes so much between difficulty settings). It's not a game that can simply be loaded up for fun, because you know you'll get roped into some extremely long sequences.

Overall though, I don't have much to complain about. Its storyline touched me far more than its predecessors, and I thought its gameplay was a sublime mixture of stealth and 3rd-person shooting with some of the best boss battles and setpiece moments I've ever been a part of in a game. The game is also highly replayable, with an amazing amount of secrets, weapons, and again, the difficulty settings that genuinely affect the experience.

So, if you haven't been having fun by now, I'd honestly suggest trading it in. For me, it truly doesn't get much better than this game. Clearly you don't feel the same, and I doubt the remaining acts would convince you otherwise.

I'll also go ahead and throw out there that I think MGS1 has aged poorly (on a gameplay level, not necessarily visually), I've never enjoyed MGS3, and prior to 4's release MGS2 was my favorite in the series (and is the only pre-4 title I replay). Take that for what you will.:p

Bolivar
04-16-2010, 01:07 AM
I completely co-sign pretty much everything Alucard said, except end-thoughts on the other games :P

Personally I was more forgiving with the B&B Corp. I thought it was very bad storytelling for Drebin to come on the radio at the end and give you a 15-minute monologue on their past. The lack of personality was sorely missed as well.

But they are, above and beyond, some of the greatest designed characters in the Metal Gear. I remember the first time seeing them in one of the reveal trailers, I couldn't believe what I was seeing - it was horrifying and awesome at the same time. They were so intimidating and out-of-this world that it was a true accomplishment to actually best them.

IMO they didn't need the personality of previous Metal Gear bosses because their character design said it all about them.

I think character designs overall are what really make MGS4 unparalleled for me, both in the series and in gaming in general. You just have to look at Old Snake. With the Octocamo, the Solideye, the mustache, and holding the M4, I think this is the best designed rendition of Snake yet.

JKTrix
04-16-2010, 01:20 AM
How interesting that the notion of the story being 'divorced from gameplay' shows up on a Final Fantasy fan board :P

But seriously, you guys who have finished and liked the game, I'm gonna reiterate my prior post. Go back, download those podcasts, and check out the behind-the-scenes walkthroughs. They tell you were to start listening to it in each stage (sometimes it's not at the beginning--I believe the first one begins after you enter the building where you meet Meryl) and then tell you to 'do this' or 'look at this' while they tell you something about it.

Croyles
04-16-2010, 02:41 AM
I thought overall it was a pretty good game but fell short in comparison to the previous titles. It was entertaining enough for me because I felt it tied up the loose ends quite nicely. It was lacking in some of the creative gameplay mechanics and situations the older ones put you in though.

I thought that the whole weapon system was way bigger than anything you ever needed it to be, and that the whole mechanic of 'siding' with a faction didnt work very well and was pretty much scrapped at the end of chapter 2 anyway.

What I really did enjoy was the story, the music and some of the later scenes such as The Psychomantis type boss, crawling through the microwave room (epic moment!) and the very old school style of the final fight with Liquid. Oh and also the Rex fight!

People may call it fan service, I call it tying up the loose ends, but I agree that it seems like Kojima was too focused on that part of the game (I dont really fault him for it, it was a massive undertaking!).

I actually like chapters 3-5 a lot better than 1-2, but that may just be me.

Overall, loved it while I played and finished it, but in hindsight realised some of the bigger problems.

Yeah emm, might not be a very helpful post, just thought Id give my opinion on it.

Shoeberto
04-16-2010, 02:50 AM
These thoughts are in regard to some of the character stuff, but it's almost entirely spoilers, so:
This is one of few pieces of media where the pain the character suffers actually feels tangible. They did an amazing job of making you really feel what Snake was going through, from the effects of his accelerated aging to the actual physical damage that occurs (like the explosion in Act III scarring his face, or the microwave room... god, that was the most smurfing intense scene ever). I felt more drawn into the character of Solid Snake more than the other games in the series, much like they created an emotional attachment to Naked Snake in MGS3. Overall I think it amplified the effect of the story. It brought closure to both the overarching plot that started in MGS, as well as making you understand that you're reaching the end of Snake's story and life.

The emotional impact is less than that of MGS3, admittedly, but it's still pretty damn strong.

kotora
04-16-2010, 03:36 AM
What pissed me off most about the game, aside from it's other flaws, was the way they handled the ending. A wedding between Meryl and a comic relief character? Wtf were they thinking? What's that sappy romantic comedy :bou::bou::bou::bou: doing in my MGS? And Snake should've just shot himself at the graveyard, instead of the Harry Potter ending with Dumbledore/Big Boss coming back from the dead and having to explain about how it was all planned from the beginning and how Ocelot pulled a Snape. It smurfing sucked. Would it have been that hard to just cut all the irrelevant stuff and just get straight to the point during the game? Why does Kojima suck so hard at telling a story?

Bolivar
04-16-2010, 04:57 PM
What pissed me off most about the game, aside from it's other flaws, was the way they handled the ending. A wedding between Meryl and a comic relief character? Wtf were they thinking? What's that sappy romantic comedy :bou::bou::bou::bou: doing in my MGS? And Snake should've just shot himself at the graveyard, instead of the Harry Potter ending with Dumbledore/Big Boss coming back from the dead and having to explain about how it was all planned from the beginning and how Ocelot pulled a Snape. It smurfing sucked. Would it have been that hard to just cut all the irrelevant stuff and just get straight to the point during the game? Why does Kojima suck so hard at telling a story?

Well, he wasn't just a comic relief character he's someone who's been in every game and finally got his chance to be a co-star. Weddings are a beautiful part of life, and it was a nice setting to end it with, considering so much of this game was about the high and low points of life - getting old, have it get in the way of your goals (can't crouch-walk for too long!) and watching that person age and not be able to do the things they used to.

Also, about Dumbledore exlains it all - good metaphor, but I was glad to see it happen, to finally have a real interaction with Big Boss as old Big Boss from legends of yore (Wtf does that make sense!?). Yes, it was drawn out, and after a while it seems like he's just repeating the same nonsensical 10-to-1-to-0-zero becomes one!!! one becomes one hundred!!!) still it was a chance for David to make peace with his father, again, another beautiful part of life. So many games are these ridiculous adolescent power fantasies, THIS GAME IS ABOUT REAL :bou::bou::bou::bou:, YO!!!