PDA

View Full Version : So I made a review of the game's story with a graph (MAJOR spoilers)

Phage
04-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Just like the title says.

I've been posting this up on forums across the land, gamefaqs, ign, etc. and figured this would be a good place too.

I'd post it here directly, but it was 6 pages in word... so I'll just link you to the specific blog post

The Refined Gamer: Final Fantasy XIII - A story in review (http://refinedgamer.blogspot.com/2010/04/final-fantasy-xiii-story-in-review.html)

I've learned since posting this that there were some plot points I failed to understand, and I now do. Even so, the presentation of them was a little too confusing, so my ratings remain the same.

Enjoy!

I hope to discuss this with you guys here =)

Wolf Kanno
04-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Added a spoiler tag to your thread title. I didn't read the whole article on account that I haven't finished the game yet but so far I agree with your graph. I actually laughed cause the graph pretty much represented my feelings so far about the plot with chapter 7 and 8 being the two best story chapters and then it all comes crashing down in 9-11 (haven't started 12 yet). I'll read the whole thing when I finally finish the game.

Phage
04-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks a lot for the spoiler tag man!

Glad you agree on those points. I specifically messed up on the details of Barth's motivations and the final chapter of the game, before people explain it to me

VeloZer0
04-12-2010, 12:19 AM
I also assume that the entire population is killed shortly after since the wildlife there were giving highly powerful l'cie trouble, let alone a bunch of humans.
Hahaha. Best concluding line of any FFXIII plot based review I have heard yet.

I like the concept of adding graphs to reviews of games like you have. It makes for a very interesting starting point for debate, or at the very least is quite humorous.

Good synopsis of plot.

Phage
04-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Haha, glad you liked it!

I'm planning on someday playing through and reviewing all of the Final Fantasies. I've already played 1,2,6,7,12 and 13, but I've still got quite a few to go before such a project is started.

Raistlin
04-12-2010, 12:44 AM
The story just went from slowly piecing itself together while retaining humanity, to just vomiting all over the player.

I agree with this so, so much. The end of chapter 9 and chapter 10's entire existence really destroyed my hope for this game's plot. The rest just continued in that same haphazard fashion.

seiferalmasy2
04-12-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't know how you reach 8.5 overall from your review, sound smore like a 5 to me...

Phage
04-12-2010, 01:10 AM
I gave the plot itself that rating. I enjoyed the battle system, thought the graphics were beautiful, and found myself rating the game's voice acting above most video games.

I'd say as a whole the game is a very solid 8, but the plot itself is not.

Raistlin
04-12-2010, 01:43 AM
I just realized that not only are we in almost complete agreement on the plot, but we even gave the overall game the same rating: you said 7.5-8/10; my review, which will be up on the frontsite whenever I get around to coding it, was a 7.5. Great minds think alike!

seiferalmasy2
04-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Ahh I see

Skyblade
04-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Your graph does seem to make sense in terms of relative quality of the chapters, but your points of comparison are way, way off. I wouldn't rate a single point of the game I've played so far anywhere near Chrono Trigger or Mass Effect in terms of story quality.

VeloZer0
04-12-2010, 02:31 PM
I new I would disagree with the labels as soon as I saw them, so I chose to ignore them. It is better if you just take it as a relative scale in and amongst the chapters.

demondude
04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
The reference to other story's quality is stupid.

seiferalmasy2
04-12-2010, 03:17 PM
The reference to other story's quality is stupid.

No, not if you are using it as a reference. To place a number by something you need a reference point. I prefer the references would have stayed within FF games but it doesn't matter.

demondude
04-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Chapter 13 does not have the same story quality as Final Fantasy 1. That is an exaggeration. :p

Phage
04-12-2010, 05:10 PM
The review is half serious =P

The graph is supposed to grab attention, and hopefully give you something to chuckle about, or at the very least roll your eyes at.

I also kind of wanted to slam Fallout 3 and the original Final Fantasy's stories :cool: (and poke fun at Mass Effect, calling it passable)

Sorry if anyone is offended from that :D

demondude
04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
It's confusing what's meant to be a joke and what's meant to be real with some of the people in this forum who live to bash the game. :spin: Fallout 3 didn't have the best story I agree.

VeloZer0
04-13-2010, 12:32 AM
I enjoyed the story of FFI better than that of Chapter 13...

arcanedude34
04-13-2010, 12:36 AM
I enjoyed the story of FFI better than that of Chapter 13...

Rad Bromance
04-13-2010, 04:16 AM
I don't get what everyone's fuss over the story is. It's really not that hard to understand, and it's very well told. I'd go as far as saying it's one of the better JRPG stories out there.

VeloZer0
04-13-2010, 04:31 AM
The main issue is the separation of the story into character and plot elements. It is fairly indisputable that the game choses to focus more on the character development than the overarching story of the events. To someone who is primarily interested in the events of the game it will appear to have a much weaker plot than to one who gives more credence to the character aspects.

With that said, many (including myself), feel that the plot was written to serve the character development and not strong enough or developed enough to carry the game on it's own. After the character development is effectively concluded mid way through chapter 9 there appears to be very little effort put into making the game's story engaging.

Raistlin
04-13-2010, 06:28 AM
It's really not that hard to understand, and it's very well told. I'd go as far as saying it's one of the better JRPG stories out there.

The bolded part especially boggles my mind. The exposition (character background) is very well told. The actual plot of the game (end of chapter 9 onwards) is so thinly developed and haphzardly strung together that I had trouble caring even the tiniest amount.

Flying Arrow
04-13-2010, 03:07 PM
With that said, many (including myself), feel that the plot was written to serve the character development

Seems to be, although it's not quite forward enough about it. FFVI does something similar but is vastly more successful, and Kefka is probably the best villain in the whole series because the writers don't try to make him anything more than just a smurfing asshole. Barthandelus (if he should have been in the story at all) only needed to spill the beans of his plan to the party early on, and more character-writing probably could have taken the story all the way home with few hitches. FFXIII's plot really didn't need to be anything more than frustrated and downtrodden people on the run, but all the fal'Cie/Cocoon plot twists really take away from it and shift the focus onto the badly-written camp.

I thought the flashbacks were quite well done and was sad to see that aspect of the characterization get shoved to the side for things like Cid taking over as Primarch or whatever. Around Chapter 4-8 I felt like the story was going somewhere interesting with the characters and was quite enjoying the game despite its restrictive gameplay design. But once that went out the window... yeesh.

Phage
04-13-2010, 07:06 PM
zombiedude - The graph is half serious, while I do feel that the story follows that line in terms of story over time, I understand that using other games as a reference point is completely subjective. That part is mostly silly =P

As for the actual review, you'll notice I say a lot of absurd things, like "Then fang becomes a furry, I mean ragnorok" Those are blatant jokes, some readers will enjoy them, others won't, that's how it is.

Velo and Arcanedude - I have to respectfully disagree, Final Fantasy 1's plot is something of a joke to me =P To each his own!

Raistlin - I actually agree spot on :cool:

arcanedude34
04-13-2010, 10:49 PM
To each his own, indeed.

For the record, I did feel the game had a lot of potential with exploring the ideas of fate vs. free will, and there are hints at really good story telling, but it really doesn't shine through enough to be anything other than standard and rather mediocre.

VeloZer0
04-14-2010, 01:24 AM
I agree completely with you Flying Arrow. I tried to write the post with as objective a wording as possible. Though I don't like character exposition as much as world changing events I don't consider a focus on it makes the game worse in an absolute sense. I am (some times :D) mature enough to recognize the difference between my tastes and a bad story.

All my major beefs with the story are what was happening (or not happening...) in Chapters 9-13. The character focus that was happening before wasn't exactly my cup to tea, but at least it made sense.

Velo and Arcanedude - I have to respectfully disagree, Final Fantasy 1's plot is something of a joke to me =P To each his own!
I said enjoyable, not more developed. Enjoyable is a highly subjective term. :p

As for the actual review, you'll notice I say a lot of absurd things, like "Then fang becomes a furry, I mean ragnorok" Those are blatant jokes, some readers will enjoy them, others won't, that's how it is.
I enjoy writing like this. Everyone is subjective, no matter how hard they try. If the author can at least have a sense of humor about things I can enjoy the editorial comment even if I disagree with their stance on the issue. I look forward to any other games you review in this manner.

For the record, I did feel the game had a lot of potential with exploring the ideas of fate vs. free will,
I liked the delema they were faced with: if they save Cocoon the Fal'Cie will just try again, and the people are all kind of dickwads anyways.