PDA

View Full Version : Caravans!

Imperfectionist
04-13-2010, 01:33 AM
I just got back from a weeks caravanning with a few friends in Camber Sands (yes the place they went to in The Inbetweeners...).

It was actually pretty good, the weather was nice, we got through a disgusting amount of beer and we had quite a lot of the good stuff to smoke on the beach right near our caravan :)

However, I don't understand how anyone would want to stay in a caravan and be sober the whole time. Some people actually buy caravans to stay in for ages! Why would anyone ever do this?!

Anyway, have you ever stayed in a caravan? Was yours a pleasant experience? Or was it horrible and cold and damp and smelly?

Mo-Nercy
04-13-2010, 02:15 AM
I haven't stayed in a caravan before, but I've done the whole "spontaneous road trip and sleep in the car along the way" thing. It's okay. Going to the toilet was an issue xD. So I'd probably love caravans (although I'm led to understand that cleaning out the toilet system in a caravan is a pain a lot of people chose to avoid by using the facilities at whatever trailer park they've stop in instead).

On my more recent vacations, however, I've been staying in beach houses. So I can relate to the fun involved with having a few beers + other things by the beach. Most recently, in fact, we went to Jervis Bay which is on the New South Wales south coast and the beach we frequented was just a few k's north of Hyam's Beach which apparently has the whitest sands in the world. It was beautiful. The sand was so amazingly white and the water, so amazingly clear. We woke up the morning after we arrived to see a pack of dolphins feeding not 200m from the shore.

Shoeberto
04-13-2010, 02:22 AM
Caravans in UK = Campers/RVs in USA, correct? I'm hoping Snatch didn't let me down on that cultural lesson.

My family has one and goes out fairly frequently in the spring, summer and fall. I used to go with them, but I always found it fairly boring. Then again, we never got massively drunk. It was mostly just relaxing an enjoying nature, which is okay, but not terribly exciting for a teenager.

edit: Also, most modern campers here have a ridiculous amount of amenities, so they're pretty nice to stay in. Older ones tend to be fairly bare-bones, though.

Mo-Nercy
04-13-2010, 02:34 AM
Caravans in UK = Campers/RVs in USA, correct?
Isn't an RV a motorhome? Or is a motorhome just called a motorhome in the States?

Imperfectionist
04-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Cleaning out the toilet wasn't an issue, all the piping and stuff was fine. But the smells some of the boys made... my god I thought their insides were rotting :barf: not pleasant in a confined space.

Mo-Nercy, our beach wasn't quite as nice as yours :p no dolphins for us, just pebbles and wind. But it was still pretty gorgeous though, I do love the beach.

I don't know what the American equivalent is, I don't want to say a word and then discover that i've misinformed people.

Shoeberto
04-13-2010, 02:44 AM
Caravans in UK = Campers/RVs in USA, correct?
Isn't an RV a motorhome? Or is a motorhome just called a motorhome in the States?
Well, RV just stands for "recreational vehicle" so it could technically be either. I've always thought, like you, that RVs were exclusively motorhomes, but I've heard people refer to campers as RVs. Dunno if that's just colloquial or what. People do call them motorhomes here, too.

Campers are terrible for bathrooms, other than just peeing. It permeates the whole damn thing. In my parent's camper, my bunk was back next to the bathroom. It got rough at times.

Shlup
04-13-2010, 02:44 AM
Does it count when I go over and hang out at TheAbominatrix's trailer. :D

I've never road tripped in a mobile home of any sort, just cars. Thought when I was a kid my grandparents would take the middle seat out of the van and put an air mattress there.

rubah
04-13-2010, 05:21 AM
If I hadn't seen Snatch, I would have no idea what you're talking about.

but I have seen Snatch, so I guess I'll make a gypsy joke.

My parents have a camper. They haven't done much with it yet!

BarelySeeAtAll
04-17-2010, 10:20 PM
When my family were all like, together, we used to go out in the caravan. I loved it because it had a certain scent that was kind of yummy, which I associated with good times.

Went to cornwall once when I was young. I didn't want to play kiddy golf with my mum brother and dad because I always lost (fair enough right?) so stayed in there. v.v am good like that you see.

Imperfectionist
04-17-2010, 11:57 PM
but I have seen Snatch, so I guess I'll make a gypsy joke.

My parents have a camper. They haven't done much with it yet!

That just made me feel really dim cos I didn't get it :crying2:

rubah
04-18-2010, 06:56 AM
In Snatch, Brad Pitt wants a caravan for his mum. Periwinkle blue.

DK
04-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah my family has got a couple of caravans, and we always used to go down to Cornwall every summer for holidays and stuff. I have had many completely wasted nights in the middle of random Cornish fields with random people thanks to those caravans, good times. Haven't been in one for a while though, not since I moved to Cornwall really. Hoping to get a few of my uni mates down to our caravans for a couple of days before everyone goes home though, last night me and my best mate had a fat barbeque, drank a stupid amount of rum and also made our way through a hefty amount of the good stuff as you like to call it (as well as a large amount of Megaman X4 afterwards, which I could do without next time. Pain :() and the only thing that would have made it better was being in a random field rather than the back garden of someones house

demondude
04-18-2010, 10:41 AM
I just got back from a weeks caravanning with a few friends in Camber Sands (yes the place they went to in The Inbetweeners...)

Please tell me, was Jay telling the truth about the girls? :blush:

Imperfectionist
04-18-2010, 04:03 PM
I just got back from a weeks caravanning with a few friends in Camber Sands (yes the place they went to in The Inbetweeners...)

Please tell me, was Jay telling the truth about the girls? :blush:

He actually was :p pretty much every girl I saw was a chavvy whore

Cuchulainn
04-19-2010, 12:55 AM
I hate caravans. Scourge of my youth. Raining, pish cold & tea smelt mouldy. There's always that fucking caravan smell. Kinda like a middle classed old womans panty drawer (I imagine...I mean I don't actually go around IMAGINING it.....I'm not Rooney...I mean..I BELIEVE that it's what an old womans panty drawer MIGHT smell like..TAXI!).