PDA

View Full Version : You aren't meat!

Imperfectionist
04-13-2010, 10:11 PM
You are Quorn!

Do you eat Quorn? I'm considering switching as i'm trying to shift some weight and from what i've read it's pretty great. Low in fat, high in protein etc... all sounds like good stuff.

I want real life experiences though, not just articles and advertising. Is it really any good?

So, discuss mycoprotein.

PaulinasKnight
04-13-2010, 10:32 PM
What is Quorn?

Zeldy
04-13-2010, 10:39 PM
I've eaten quorn. I don't remember what I said about it..

Mo-Nercy
04-13-2010, 10:47 PM
For the benefit of people like me, who don't know what Quorn is:

Quorn is the leading brand of mycoprotein food product in the UK and Ireland. The mycoprotein used to produce Quorn is extracted from a fungus, Fusarium venenatum, which is grown in large fermentation vats.

Quorn is produced as both a cooking ingredient and a range of ready meals. It is sold (largely in Europe but also in other parts of the world) as a health food and an alternative to meat, especially for vegetarians, earning the Vegetarian Society's seal of approval. As it uses egg white as a binder, it is not a vegan food.

In looking at some pictures, it doesn't look very appetising. I did try vegetarianism briefly a year or so ago, maybe I wouldn't have suffered through it so much if I had this.

PaulinasKnight
04-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Hmm, interesting. I'll have to check if they have it at Nature's Pantry next time I go.

BarelySeeAtAll
04-13-2010, 11:26 PM
THEY CUT DOWN TREES FOR DAMNED QUORN..

I heard somewhere. Don't ask me how, or whatever.

I eat meat, which is bad, red meat build up and rubbish. Personally I think you can definitely taste the difference; ICKY.

Bunny
04-13-2010, 11:45 PM
I eat steak and chicken.

Because I am normal.

Garnie
04-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Quorn i badddd! I tried it once and it violated me ;___;

rubah
04-14-2010, 12:24 AM
I haven't. Nor have I (to my knowledge) had tofu or other demi-meats.

Imperfectionist
04-14-2010, 12:48 AM
Mo-Nercy, I don't want to go totally veggie. I'm just thinking that maybe for meals that I eat on my own it might be worth swapping for Quorn.

I don't even eat that much meat so it'd just be like Quorn ham sammich or Quorn spag bol and stuff.

Mo-Nercy
04-14-2010, 01:10 AM
I haven't. Nor have I (to my knowledge) had tofu or other demi-meats.
Tofu is considered a meat substitute? I usually have tofu with some sort of meat. One of my favourite dishes is tofu with chilli-stewed ground beef (I think in English it's called Grandma Tofu :D)

I don't even eat that much meat so it'd just be like Quorn ham sammich or Quorn spag bol and stuff.
I suppose if you acutally liked the taste of it, it couldn't hurt. But if you don't, then real meat has plenty of benefits going for it as well.

I Don't Need A Name
04-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Some of it is alright. Most of it is terrible. Gimme real meat any day.

Everyone I know who isn't a vegi, but eats Quorn have Quorn Mince. Their excuse is 'If you know what's in real mince, you will see why I eat Quorn'

LunarWeaver
04-14-2010, 01:55 AM
Ireland only has beer and green pants. Wikipedia is full of :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Imperfectionist
04-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Ireland only has beer and green pants. Wikipedia is full of :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

I don't understand what this has to do with Quorn :(

Mo-Nercy
04-14-2010, 02:17 AM

I don't understand what this has to do with Quorn :(
I think he's suggesting that it can't be a "leading brand" in Ireland, as Wikipedia states, when everyone there knows Guinness is the only item of food/drink with any dietary benefit. :D

Breine
04-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Never heard about this Quorn thing before.