PDA

View Full Version : Tried Out Dissidia a While Ago...

Evastio
04-15-2010, 02:02 AM
...and it was FUN. :D

I'm really suprised how well I did with Cecil on my first try. Maybe it was me knowing his moves really well from YouTube videos. Changing classes with his moves didn't throw me off whatsoever. His HP attacks were pretty easy to hit with (Saint's Dive had good tracking capabilities and Soul Eater's range was larger than it appeared to be). I was also really good with Golbez and Jecht. I think Golbez is really hard to suck with (most of his attacks are easy to land, and his Genesis Rock, which I call the "cheap rock attack" is quite overpowered compared to other HP attacks). I find Jecht to be quite well rounded and his attacks to be easy to hit with as well.

I also used Warrior of Light and Firion. I found them quite difficult to play as, which is a shame since I like them as characters (I'm still going to try to be good with them though). Their HP attacks are so hard to land. Though the Warrior of Light's Brave attacks are nice and easy to use, and his Shield of Light makes for a nice counterattacking move. If only I knew how to use his Wave of Light attack or whatever it was called (it says press square and left though I don't know how that works exactly, since I tried that and he just does the shield of light to the left). Firion's bow doesn't track well enough, or maybe I just don't know how to use it effectively. I also find that he has too many long range attacks which I'm not really comfortable using (like his knife and axe), since I'm better with characters that fight with melee attacks.

I used all of the good guys as well (except Shanttoto, since she wasn't unlocked), though not as frequently as those five I listed above. From the ones I was best to worst with would be Squall (fast Brave attacks and long range HP attacks), Bartz (since I'm good with melee fighters), Zidane (he has fast and easy to hit with moves), Onion Knight (really fast so opponents don't have much of a chance to attack, but his Brave attacks are quite weak), Cloud (melee so I found him easy to use, though his attacks were slow), Terra (her magic attacks were somewhat easy to use, but I lost with her once or twice before I finally won a match with her), and Tidus (I can't hit with his basic level 1 HP attack).

In summary, defying physics and crazily slashing and comboing people in the air = FUN!! :D

Though on a side note of Dissidia's fighting style in general, I didn't expect HP attacks to be so slow, and some of the Ex Bursts were quite hard to do, especially Cecil's and Golbez'.

So what did you think of each of the characters when you first tried them out?

qwertysaur
04-15-2010, 02:06 AM
CoD: lasers are always FUN :bigsmile:

black orb
04-15-2010, 02:09 AM
>>> I have like 400 hours of gameplay, now is not as fun as it used to be..:luca:

Mo-Nercy
04-15-2010, 02:22 AM
I'm working on my Ex-Death play because you're not pro until you can use Ex-Death well.

But my favourite character to use is still Squall. My first impression of him was that he sucked, because characters like Cloud seemed to be able to dispose of opponents so much quicker. I stuck with him, though, because I liked the character design. His BRV attacks are great but his HP attacks suck. It makes for interesting gameplay. Sometimes I'm all over the enemy with fast, relentless Beat Fangs and other times I'm struggling to lay the final blow.

Leonknight
04-15-2010, 04:09 AM
I'm working on my Ex-Death play because you're not pro until you can use Ex-Death well.

no comment on this honestly, being good with Exdeath doesn't make you pro <<;

Me I usually play Exdeath or Squall. Unlike what No-Mercy said Exdeath is a VERY VERY predictable character as he is the main counterattacker in the game. He uses his shield to deflect almost every attack and then counter attack with skills that don't consume CP. But you can get him to guard to early and strike when his shields go down as there is a bit of lag time.

Squall on the other hand, is very unpredictable except for one fact. Beat Fang, its his bread and butter attack and if your in the air be wary of it. This skill if used as a counter attack will completely drain the Brave out of people espically with the lionheart equipped with the extra "sneak attack" effect, and if ur he is in ex mode...well game and set xD. But his hp attacks are easy to dodge and readable.

i see you have trouble with Firion, well he is a ground based attacker, meaning he isn't mean to be used for aerial fights. His reel axe when it hits shatters guard, and REELs them in for a lance combo. As for his bow, he really doesn't use it only at the end of Lance Combo if u don't chase and when he uses Weapon Master. His Shield bash, be wary of as well because it canblock many attacks and followed up with hp damage. His main thing to do, human player and cpu, is block a attack then follow up with lance combo.

Mo-Nercy
04-15-2010, 05:48 AM
ExDeath is predictable, but if you're good enough, the opponent knowing what you're going to do isn't going to save them. Anyway, that's my two-cents. I'm actually pretty bad with him still so yeah. =]

Wolf Kanno
04-15-2010, 05:59 AM
The easiest way to land HP attacks with Squall is to block an opponents Brave attacks and while they are stun, use Aerial Circle as a counter. It takes forever to recover from a blocked attack and AC is surprisingly faster than people give it credit for.

I think at the end of the day, the only characters I don't like using were Shantatto and Ultimecia. They just don't work very well for me for various reasons. Golbez and Jecht are easily the two most broken characters in the game. Golbez has nearly unblockable moves that are difficult to dodge (one can almost be infinitely looped like Squall's Beat Fang) and sadly they branch into HP attacks meaning you have to be good at dodging or landing the first blow... Jecht is cheap mainly for Jecht block which can block 90% of all attacks in the game (including HP attacks if timed right) and his attack combos are brutal...

Cloud's probably the most broken character on the Heroes sides as even scrubs with little experience can beat more seasoned players by abusing his overpowered EX-Mode. Terra, Bartz, and WoL come in close seconds in terms of being damn near unbalanced and broken. I love using Cecil if only cause he definetly becomes one of the more challenging characters to use from mid-game to end-game. He's one of the few Hero characters who doesn't get a branching HP attack or any branching attack at all. So you have to get good with using his moves at the right time. Especially against cheap assholes like Squall, Cloud and smurfing Chaos Lv. 100+

My main characters are probably Terra and Gabranth. Though I was learning Kefka and Ex-Death as well.

Vivisteiner
04-15-2010, 01:41 PM
My main is Kuja. He's really strong. I win all my matches pretty much - although fighting in the same winning style does get a lil boring.

I basically spam Ultima from afar with the occasional remote flare. Have Snooze and Lose activated. Come in for the kill occasionally with close range brave or flare star.

Leonknight
04-15-2010, 02:56 PM
You use snooze and loose on kuja? That seems kind of pointless in my opinion because people tend to attack kuja a lot, Snooze and loose is really only effective on Exdeath, cause people hesitate A LOT of the times. Kuja is also high on the tier list(FK THAT BS POS THING ITS SO STUPID) because he is one of the more op'd characters

Hot Shot
04-15-2010, 07:08 PM
My main is Zidane (and Kuja and Bartz are used almost as much). When I heard about the game, I knew that Zidane, Kuja and Bartz would be my faves, and they were! I tend to pick quick, agile and versatile characters in fighting games and these charaxters fitted the bill. I used mostly Zidane at first because I didnt know the other characters moves all that well yet (which makes Bartz hard to use) and Kuja was unlocked.

But as I mastered Zidane, I started branching out with my character choices and I started to use Firion, Jecht, the Emperor and Onion Kid. There are still some characters I just stay clear of, like the super slow characters (Ex Death, Golbez and Kefka) and Terra and Squall because I do not like their moves.

Vivisteiner
04-15-2010, 07:58 PM
You use snooze and loose on kuja? That seems kind of pointless in my opinion because people tend to attack kuja a lot, Snooze and loose is really only effective on Exdeath, cause people hesitate A LOT of the times. Kuja is also high on the tier list(FK THAT BS POS THING ITS SO STUPID) because he is one of the more op'd characters
But when people come at me, as Kuja, it's quite easy because I have lots of options. I can hit him with a mid-range attack (I forget the names as I haven't played in a while), or I can wait a little longer and go for a short range attack, or block, dodge or do flare star. I realise that that's the standard battle that happens, but what I tend to find is that Snooze and Lose put the enemy under pressure thus making him more reckless.

If their brave is continually being depleted, they'll want to come in quickly and attack. This makes them more predictable and easy to damage. And if they stick to the standard approach of waiting for the perfect moment to come in and strike, they'll find their brave is getting lower and lower and lower. Good stuff.

EDIT: Also bear in mind that Kuja's fast - and I often tend to move away from the enemy, because from afar, he's a beast. Another thing I like to do is provoke the enemy to do attacks which have fairly long animations and cause the enemy to stand still. In those scenarios Ultima becomes undodgeable.

Skyblade
04-16-2010, 02:26 PM
...and it was FUN. :D

Though the Warrior of Light's Brave attacks are nice and easy to use, and his Shield of Light makes for a nice counterattacking move. If only I knew how to use his Wave of Light attack or whatever it was called (it says press square and left though I don't know how that works exactly, since I tried that and he just does the shield of light to the left). Firion's bow doesn't track well enough, or maybe I just don't know how to use it effectively. I also find that he has too many long range attacks which I'm not really comfortable using (like his knife and axe), since I'm better with characters that fight with melee attacks.

In summary, defying physics and crazily slashing and comboing people in the air = FUN!! :D

Though on a side note of Dissidia's fighting style in general, I didn't expect HP attacks to be so slow, and some of the Ex Bursts were quite hard to do, especially Cecil's and Golbez'.

So what did you think of each of the characters when you first tried them out?

To use WoL's Shining Wave, you hold the analog stick away from the enemy while pressing square. Unless you changed which buttons it is linked to on the customization screen.

And, no, Firion's Bow is not the best tracking projectile.

Bartz and Terra are my favorites.

Vivisteiner
04-17-2010, 11:46 PM
My favourite character is actually:

YouTube - Dissidia [ USA ] Playing As Chaos [ Hack ] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5PJfUZaHxE)

Evastio
05-17-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm hoping it's okay that I'm updating my thread now that I recently got to play Dissidia again. I'm only able to play it at friends' houses since I don't own a PSP.

Anyways, those tips for the Warrior of Light and Firion really helped me out. Especially now that I know about using their other moves by tilting the analog stick away from the opponent. The Wave of Light is a much easier HP attack to hit with than the Shield of Light, even though I've gotten significantly better using the Shield of Light as an attack (by using it much closer to the opponent so they get stunned). Red Fang wasn't really an attack I used much, though I did use it every now and then since it's got more range than his other moves. As for Firion, I got the hang of his ranged attacks that bring the opponent closer in (knowing how to perform Reel Axe helped an insane amount). Also, I never really got to try out his spell related attacks until yesterday. They weren't as easy to use as his ground attacks, but at least they have more range. I'm still having trouble landing with his bow, though I found it slightly easier to connect with by shooting the opponent from as close as possible.

I was able to buy quite a few of the villains (when I play Dissidia at friends' houses, they usually have me starting a new file) like Golbez, Jecht, The Emperor, and Garland. The Emperor's playstyle really threw me off, though it probably shouldn't have since I've read from multiple sources that he's a trap master. Since I couldn't really chase my opponents into traps effectively, I found myself using all of his attacks at really close range since that was the only way I could effectively land them. Garland didn't have as much ranged attacks as I thought he would, based on what I've experienced facing him as an opponent (that probably meant that computer Garlands use their chain sword attack way too much). I guess I was quite decent with him, though I found his Air HP attack hard to hit with (the HP damaging part, at least). His melee attacks had much more range than any other character I frequently used, so that helped make up for his slowness. Though Garland sure seemed much more overpowered when he's a computer opponent.

Again, thanks for all the tips. Though keep in mind that I'm usually only able to use basic moves for the characters, since they're not levelled up enough to use their more advanced moves that are learned at later levels.