PDA

View Full Version : time travel

Hollycat
04-15-2010, 05:37 AM
Time travel, possible or not?
Many believe that the closer velocity gets to equaling the speed of light, the slower time will move, and eventually time will begin to move backwards for an individual.
My ideas will not approach this idea. My own thoughts are not proven, and may be impossible to prove.
The topics included in this page include:
Time travel
Absolute zero
Matter destruction
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
All of my ideas come from one thought, that in order to truly “skim” time, one must not exist in true time, but must remove itself completely. In order to move forward, one must completely disappear. I do not believe that reverse travel is possible, only forward.
What I am saying is that if the possibility of time travel is possible, it could only cause forward movement or true-zero movement. My idea of true zero movement requires absolute zero gravity, which may be impossible to even imagine, and thus true zero energy, which would also result in absolute zero in temperature, and if I am correct, that zero movement would either mean that that object would freely move around that singular instant of time without any thing ever changing, or in other words, stop time, or it could pause, blinking into a dimension of nothingness, until some force of logic or nature or time, causes it to reappear in that exact universal spot in a completely random time sometime in the future, anywhere from the end, to one instant after the pause.
If we take the above to be true, then it stands that the reason science cannot reach absolute zero is because the object is still affected by gravity’s force, and is still moving through space, thus having energy. The following part of this paragraph is just something I saw in a dream, and I don’t even trust it. This could be the cause of “black holes” thus making them nothing other than the universe trying to stay true to high pressure to low pressure, but into a zero point of infinitely zero pressure, thus a never filling, non existing, non-moving point in time and space. However, all of this results in the breaking of the law of conservation of matter, which is supposedly impossible, but this may provide a clue as to the reason of the universe expanding.
This final paragraph is a testament to the failure of a time “machine” and an explanation of why it is impossible.
In order for a time machine to be possible, or even for reverse time “travel” to be possible, an infinite calculation of every action and possible change in the past and it’s effect on the entire universe through direct result, gravity, and mass change from the moment in view to the absolute last instant of time, which is incalculable, would need to be finished and solved, thus making planned time travel backwards impossible.
All I wish to prove by this document is that planned time “travel” is impossible, and if time travel were to happen, it would break laws of time and existence. It may happen, but if it does, not only is it unsurvivable, but also it will only happen by an anomaly in time, a division over zero, or a recycle of time.

qwertysaur
04-15-2010, 05:40 AM
time is relative.

demondude
04-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Wonder Square just got too srs and intellectual. Bye.

No.78
04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over -

^definitely did not type that^

Hollycat
04-15-2010, 01:44 PM
the last paragrah is good, besides I am ADD

demondude
04-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I used to be ADD. No, really, it was my username.

Goldenboko
04-15-2010, 02:11 PM
I remember those days, a lot of cats were out of line, seemed to me like they needed to get their name changed. Yeah, but what did we name change their name to? Yo' the choice was obvious, we called you ADD, we called you ADD, this was not a case of HGH...D!

Momiji
04-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to capture a Celebi? :eyebrow:

qwertysaur
04-15-2010, 02:42 PM
he used the master ball on a shiny pineco :p

Goldenboko
04-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Fuck no! I'm not buying a Japanese copy of Pokemon Colosseum!

Momiji
04-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Actually there IS a HG/SS giveaway coming up eventually. It was just announced in Japan the other day. :D

But yeah, I guess you could also learn 5 Black Magic spells and change to a Time Mage class, too.

Madame Adequate
04-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I am travelling through time at a rate of 1 second per second.

Agent Proto
04-15-2010, 05:13 PM
I, Blues Agent (currently A gent, Protting and formerly Agent Proto), am a time traveler 45 minutes from the future. I have no idea why it's 45 minutes into the future though. Actually, smurf that, I did win Most Likely To Be a Time Traveler From the Future Ciddie this one time, so it must be true!

Vivisteiner
04-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Am I the only one who's studied Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity here? Sheesh, standards of education are going way down. :p

The only possible way you could travel into the past is by creating a wormhole. And even then, that would only allow you to travel back to the beginning of the wormhole. So no chance of going back and stopping Hitler m'afraid.

The rate at which you travel through time depends on how fast you're moving. The closer you travel to the speed of light, the slower time moves for you. The speed of light is the universal speed limit and its speed is the same in every frame of reference. Thus in a moving frame, light in a "photon clock" would have to travel further than it would in the stationary frame. But since it can't move faster than the max speed, the time must increase for the journey as time = distance/speed. The distance is bigger but the speed remains the same.

Jiro
04-17-2010, 07:38 AM
It's well known that I am from the future. Here in the future we have not yet invented time travel. I will let you know asap when we do.

Hollycat
04-17-2010, 05:28 PM
I M GONNA PUT THIS AS SIMPLY AS POSSIBLE:
if x=4pi^x(y) and y=3.5554533321212121233334, then the posibility of 23x= 14y and unravelinag time is 1/89777789788787868978987899876666649294023x^x^x^x^x^X^X, solve that

PuPu
04-17-2010, 05:30 PM
too long

did not read

Bunny
04-17-2010, 06:57 PM
TIME TRAVEL IS SO STUPID AND MAKES ME ANGRY I DON'T EVEN CARE WHAT YOU SAY

ANGRYWOLF
04-17-2010, 07:07 PM
had an episode on time travel Thursday.

I think Discovery has a show on time travel as well.

I don't see how it would be possible to travel either backwards or forwards in time unless you could hitch a ride on some particle that travels through time....maybe some unknown particle that was created when the universe was made and that travels back and forth in time.

Of course ..if parallel universes exist..another Discovery channel show if I recall correctly....maybe it's still WW1 in the other universe and you could kill Hitler during WW1..shoot him in his trench in France and he would never become the Fuhrer and you could spare that universe his future actions.

That might help that other universe but wouldn't have affected events in ours.

:eek:

Quindiana Jones
04-17-2010, 08:41 PM
I was curious about the speed of light once, so spent a week studying it thoroughly for no reason. I was a lonely child...

My young mind figured it's impossible for something with mass to travel at the speed of light. In order to do so, every piece of matter would have to be transformed to energy, including the travelling matter itself, rendering the whole thing pointless. Hence the requirement for things like cool warp jump stuff. One cannot accelerate to and past the speed of light, as we do with our current methods of transport. However, to travel at, say 1,000,000 times the speed of light costs only the same amount of energy to travel 1/1,000,000th of the speed of light. So, if we can make that jump rather than accelerate to it, we would be travelling faster than the speed of light.

I forgot how to relate that to time travel. If I arrive at a place a week before the light from where I started does, have I travelled forward in time?

Seriousness aside, when I'm 79, I finally figure out and build a time machine. I will use it to travel back to when I was 17 and I gave it to myself. I then travelled the world. Unfortunately, I am the start of this paradox, so I have to wait till I'm 79 before I can change everything. :roll2

LunarWeaver
04-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Time is a myth, like Christopher Columbus being important or condoms.

Hollycat
04-17-2010, 09:47 PM
It is impossible to prove the speed of light is the max speed, or even that all light moves at the same speed. Text books say that light from the sun moves that speed after vibrating in the sun's core until it reaches a speed high enough to break free. so wouldnt a bigger, denser star release faster light?

Vivisteiner
04-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I M GONNA PUT THIS AS SIMPLY AS POSSIBLE:
if x=4pi^x(y) and y=3.5554533321212121233334, then the posibility of 23x= 14y and unravelinag time is 1/89777789788787868978987899876666649294023x^x^x^x^x^X^X, solve that
I completely disagree. There is absolutely no validity behind the above arguments and the solution is entirely irrelevant. As you can see clearly it contradicts ideas put forward by both Bose and Einstein:

Bose–Einstein condensate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose%E2%80%93Einstein_condensate)

Not to mention that it even fails to obey the fundamental time dependent Schrodinger equation. (See Schrödinger equation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger_equation) for more details)

TIME TRAVEL IS SO STUPID AND MAKES ME ANGRY I DON'T EVEN CARE WHAT YOU SAY

You can't argue with physical reality. Time travel is very possible. In fact, we're all doing it right now.

I don't see how it would be possible to travel either backwards or forwards in time unless you could hitch a ride on some particle that travels through time....maybe some unknown particle that was created when the universe was made and that travels back and forth in time.

You can travel into the future at a faster rate than one normally does. You do this by moving at a velocity close to that of light. This slows down time in your frame whilst others continue to move through time at the same rate. When you stop moving to look around after 10 years of travelling, your body will only be 10 years older, but everyone around you will be much older - maybe even long dead from old age, depending on your exact speed.

My young mind figured it's impossible for something with mass to travel at the speed of light. In order to do so, every piece of matter would have to be transformed to energy, including the travelling matter itself, rendering the whole thing pointless. Hence the requirement for things like cool warp jump stuff. One cannot accelerate to and past the speed of light, as we do with our current methods of transport. However, to travel at, say 1,000,000 times the speed of light costs only the same amount of energy to travel 1/1,000,000th of the speed of light. So, if we can make that jump rather than accelerate to it, we would be travelling faster than the speed of light.
The reason why an object with mass cannot travel at the speed of light is purely down to the Lorentz factor. Lorentz factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor)

As velocity tends to the speed of light, the mass tends to infinity and hence the energy required tends towards infinity. At the speed of light, the energy would be infinite and thus it's impossible.

And actually your latter argument is patently false. If v were significantly greater than c, the Lorentz factor would enter the imaginary realm. Thus such a scenario would be physically meaningless.

It is impossible to prove the speed of light is the max speed, or even that all light moves at the same speed. Text books say that light from the sun moves that speed after vibrating in the sun's core until it reaches a speed high enough to break free. so wouldnt a bigger, denser star release faster light?

Travelling faster than the speed of light violates all relevant equations. Thus it is impossible insofar as we know. There is however a possibility that the equations, although very powerful and accurate, are not always correct in every situation.

And no, bigger stars don't release faster light. They release light with a higher amount of energy, which means the photons have a higher frequency and thus a different emission spectrum. Photons always travel at the speed of light, because they are massless.

Quindiana Jones
04-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Hey, I'm just impressed I managed to get one bit right without actually knowing anything. Whilst at the age of 11. Booyah!

Vivisteiner
04-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Hey, I'm just impressed I managed to get one bit right without actually knowing anything. Whilst at the age of 11. Booyah!
This is absolutely inexcusable. At the age of 11 I had already completed my PhD in particle physics and written a thesis on the validity of the Gross-Pitaevskii equation.

Educational standards truly are slipping.

Quindiana Jones
04-17-2010, 10:21 PM
I got laid before you. :colbert:

demondude
04-17-2010, 10:39 PM
I got laid before I was born.

Vivisteiner
04-17-2010, 10:44 PM
I got laid before you. :colbert:
That may be so, but my manipulation of vector calculus is still vastly superior. :cool:

Quindiana Jones
04-17-2010, 11:27 PM
My manipulation of the clitoris is vastly superior. :colbert:

Vivisteiner
04-17-2010, 11:37 PM
My manipulation of the clitoris is vastly superior. :colbert:
Sorry, I am not familiar with "the clitoris". What empirical or mathematical meaning does it invoke, and which great physicist or mathematician discovered it?

Quindiana Jones
04-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Q + tC = dA + S.