PDA

View Full Version : Hey, big spender!

Mo-Nercy
04-15-2010, 05:41 AM
So I was just having lunch with a friend, right? And as I pay the bill and tell the nice waitress to keep the change, my friend tells me that tipping as a custom in Australia only came about due to the 'Americanisation' (or is that -zation now?) of our society. Apparently, we shouldn't have to tip here because the people who work in the service and hospitality industries here are all covered by laws that requires them to be paid minimum wage and tipping only originated because not all states in the US require employers to pay a minimum wage.

I am quite a generous tipper. So have I been unnecessarily nice this whole time? O_O

And also, what do you tip, generally speaking?
What are the variables that can affect the size of your tip? Quality, price, sexyness?

qwertysaur
04-15-2010, 05:44 AM
personality is the biggest factor. I usually go for around 15-20% :p

rubah
04-15-2010, 06:15 AM
since they've started adding that Tip line to credit card purchases, I've started making my tips round my purchase total off to whole numbers. For example, for a meal that was $13.38, my tip would probably be $1.62

Meat Puppet
04-15-2010, 07:14 AM
By desecrating freedom of speech.

Jiro
04-15-2010, 07:34 AM
I don't have any money for myself let alone other people. Keep your grubby mitts off my change

~*~Celes~*~
04-15-2010, 07:36 AM
I tip generously if it's good service. Bad service gets very little.

Rye
04-15-2010, 08:04 AM
i tip well. A $12 dollar meal would get a $4 tip. My haircutter gets an $8 tip each time she cuts my hair but that's unusually high - I just really like the job she does.

Mo-Nercy
04-15-2010, 08:11 AM
My haircutter gets an $8 tip each time she cuts my hair but that's unusually high - I just really like the job she does.
I found this custom to really strange when I first heard of it. I've never even comprehended the idea of tipping the hairdresser.

My hairdresser's charges me $18 anyway. I consider that quite high for a guy's cut anyway.

Rye
04-15-2010, 08:17 AM
I think it's to ensure your hair cut is extra good. Also they don't get all of what you pay for a cut. I don't know how much of the $60 she sees each time I get a cut. Especially after my 50% discount.

Bunny
04-15-2010, 08:28 AM
since they've started adding that Tip line to credit card purchases, I've started making my tips round my purchase total off to whole numbers. For example, for a meal that was $13.38, my tip would probably be $1.62

Typically this, but to a varying degree. If I think the service was good, I'll round it off to a higher number ($20 instead of $15). If the service was bad, $15 or no tip at all. If the waitress is overly attractive and flirts with me, I will give her a $20 tip.

I do not really have a problem with tipping unless the server expects a tip. If they get all pissy because the tip is low, it makes me less likely to tip anyone from the restaurant the next time around (although I will tip them every time after that). I have a problem with people expecting things that they do not otherwise deserve simply because it is the cultural norm.

blackmage_nuke
04-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Tipping is not a custom in Australia, you have been wasting money. We probably have to spend more for less food anyway.

Mo-Nercy
04-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Tipping is not a custom in Australia, you have been wasting money.
NEVER AGAIN! :p

"No, I prefer to just stand here and wait for my 5 cents change, thanks."

Meat Puppet
04-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Now if only Australia would get with the times and dismiss the obsolete 5¢ piece.

Breine
04-15-2010, 10:01 AM
I never tip. As far as I remember the tip is included in the paycheck here. Tipping is not common in Denmark, unless you've been to a restaurant and you think the service has been good - even then you can neglect to tip and it's still cool. In other words, you're not expected to tip.

Therefore I had a bit of a hard time remembering to tip when I was in the US last year. But hot damn, you people tip everything over there!

Rodarian
04-15-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm good tipper. That's all I have to say

Citizen Bleys
04-15-2010, 12:08 PM
I've already said it all here (http://citizenbleys.livejournal.com/366534.html)

It finally hit me today how absurd Canadian tipping customers are. I'm not sure how things are in the States or A/NZ, but here there are some completely silly rules:

In a bar, it's perfectly acceptable to make games out of tipping. Where I go, there's a groove cut in the back of the bar with holes drilled into it, and glasses under the holes to catch the tip, and the customers make a game out of trying to slide the tip into the holes and observing as the night goes on how our accuracy varies in a manner that is inversely proportional to our blood alcohol content. This is not the silly part.

This is: in restaurants and diners--fancy or not--everyone knows tipping is a custom that is only really optional in theory, as waitstaff are paid a criminally low wage and require tips to make ends meet, let alone purchase motor vehicles and high definition television sets. However, the customer is obliged to leave the tip on the table and pay at the counter, and the waiter/waitress has to wait until the customer has left the premises to collect their tip, as if at any moment, J. D. Rockefeller might spring out of the back room, snatch up the tip, and do a merry jig between the tables chortling "Mine, it's mine now, all miiiiine"

I've always had a (perhaps irrational?) anxiety that in it time it takes me to get from the table to the exit, some light-fingered jackass is going to purloin the tip, leaving the waitstaff to think that I'm a raging douchecannon.

What's the point to customer and waitstaff alike pretending the tip isn't really there? It's not like it's happening on the sly. It might have been in the dirty thirties, but we're more civilized now.

Madame Adequate
04-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Here in eng, you tend to only tip at sit-down food places. As with Oz idk how much it's necessary because our service employees aren't randomly exempt from minimum wage laws (?!?!?!)

Jess will tip anyone and everyone because she hates having money :mymelbert:

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2010, 01:11 PM
In sunny UK, I tip a standard 10% if I go to a restaurant. If the service is genuinely freaking awesome I'll tip 15%. If the service is anything below "good", I won't tip at all. Tipping in England is very optional, because our wage system doesn't suck assballs.

In the US, I tip a standard 15% any place that I sit down to eat or drink. In a nice restaurant, or if the service was particularly good I'll go to 20%, but that's rare because I'm English and HATE TIPPING. I only do it because for some reason minimum wage means nothing in America. If they actually followed the concept of basic human rights, I'd tip UK rates.

As I said with the other tipping thread that caused rage, I hate the concept of tipping. More accurately, I hate how people that don't tip are immediately bastards that we all have to hate. Tipping is optional, and the amount people end up tipping is often insane. Because....what? You're saving face? GRAGH.

Aerith's Knight
04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
I tip a 20% minimum, 40% max.

Waitresses love me. :cool:

edit: This is in the states. In the Netherlands, as Quin said, they get paid enough for their level of education, even above minimum wage, so nobody tips here. Well, I still do, but not a lot.

Crop
04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
No I don't tip.

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2010, 01:21 PM
40%? You're freaking insane. xD

Oh, if I know I'm going to be a repeat customer I give a great big tip my first few times at a place. Guaranteed good service for life!

Chris
04-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I never tip. As far as I remember the tip is included in the paycheck here. Tipping is not common in Denmark, unless you've been to a restaurant and you think the service has been good - even then you can neglect to tip and it's still cool. In other words, you're not expected to tip.

Therefore I had a bit of a hard time remembering to tip when I was in the US last year. But hot damn, you people tip everything over there!
"Tip"? Never heard of such a thing here, have we? :D

When I'm traveling, I tip. I tip quite a lot, but that's only because I want people to like me.

Imperfectionist
04-15-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't tip because I have no moneys :(

But if I did I would. My mum was a waitress for like 10 years and if she didn't get tipped and work a ridiculous amount of shifts, we didn't eat. I never wasted away cos she was a pretty awesome waitress but still, minimum wage is a load of balls on its own.

Rye
04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Here in eng, you tend to only tip at sit-down food places. As with Oz idk how much it's necessary because our service employees aren't randomly exempt from minimum wage laws (?!?!?!)

Tipping helps stimulate the economy! It's like the foreplay of the recovery!

Goldenboko
04-15-2010, 05:07 PM
15% is my average tip means either nothing to complain or brag about with the service or I'm coming back and I don't enjoy spit in my food, 10% means I don't like you, and 20% means you were awesome.

This post was an attempt at helping the EoFF economy, where is my tip :mad2:

Bunny
04-15-2010, 06:59 PM

Don't eat Mexican food while standing next to a fire.

Also Bleys, your LJ entry is pretty spot on. Waitstaff should be allowed to take their tips immediately after the customers remove themselves from the area simply because, aside from the other raging douchecannons(tm), the busboys and other staff typically make it a habit to take the tips themselves. On top of that, most of the time in the States, waitstaff has to split their tips with everyone else on the staff. That's if they have a pool system, which most restaurants do. It's pretty stupid.

NorthernChaosGod
04-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I do not really have a problem with tipping unless the server expects a tip. If they get all pissy because the tip is low, it makes me less likely to tip anyone from the restaurant the next time around (although I will tip them every time after that). I have a problem with people expecting things that they do not otherwise deserve simply because it is the cultural norm.

Hella. I'll usually tip around 15% for good service, and more if the server was great and/or hot. If service is bad enough for me to consider a subpar tip, I just don't leave :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Don't eat Mexican food while standing next to a fire.

Also Bleys, your LJ entry is pretty spot on. Waitstaff should be allowed to take their tips immediately after the customers remove themselves from the area simply because, aside from the other raging douchecannons(tm), the busboys and other staff typically make it a habit to take the tips themselves. On top of that, most of the time in the States, waitstaff has to split their tips with everyone else on the staff. That's if they have a pool system, which most restaurants do. It's pretty stupid.

I agree that a pool system is :bou::bou::bou::bou:. The chef gets enough money.

Citizen Bleys
04-15-2010, 11:33 PM
What did the leper say to the hooker?

keep the tip

Rye
04-15-2010, 11:36 PM

keep the tip

Wait does that mean the tip... of the leper's... fell off..... inside... DHGHSEGHEHSFE WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWG ROSS BLEYS!!!!! :(

Aerith's Knight
04-16-2010, 12:59 AM
40%? You're freaking insane. xD

Oh, if I know I'm going to be a repeat customer I give a great big tip my first few times at a place. Guaranteed good service for life!

I like the gratitude, the service and the gentle way in which the young waitresses lean over without a bra.

Call me insane, I guess.

Citizen Bleys
04-16-2010, 01:03 AM
I like the gratitude, the service and the gentle way in which the young waitresses lean over without a bra.

Call me insane, I guess.

Can't argue with that xD

Wait does that mean the tip... of the leper's... fell off..... inside... DHGHSEGHEHSFE WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWG ROSS BLEYS!!!!! :(

My work here is done. *beams up*

Fonzie
04-16-2010, 03:10 AM
I usually tip quite a fair amount in excess. Uh, I feel bad for some waiters so I kind of like to brighten up their days or something. :p

NorthernChaosGod
04-16-2010, 05:11 AM

keep the tip
I fucking lol'd.

Call me insane, I guess.
Fuck. Yes.

Raistlin
04-16-2010, 06:03 PM

keep the tip

Ahaha, excellent.

I tip fairly standard, roughly 15% on average. When using my credit card I'll round to a whole number. I'll go up to 20% for good service or likable waiter/waitress, and if the service is appallingly bad I'll leave less.

Peegee
04-16-2010, 06:39 PM
10% minimum, up to whatever rounding is nice. So sometimes close to 20+% (think 32 dollar meal with a 8 dollar tip)

Zeldy
04-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Ohhhh man, as if I tip. If I hand the taxi driver a £5.00 and it's like £3.70 for my ride, I'll say "call it £4". To me that's me being NICE. I don't understand why people feel the need to tip, maybe it's my English-ness but I just thing it's quite ludicrous. When you buy something from a shop - do you tip them too!? No. No one tips me at work. I get £3.93 an hour, I'm not tipping any one! People should get their wages that they've earned, I think the rest is just greed. :colbert:

When I've been at restaurants though I'll usually split the tip with my mates, like all put in a quid or so each. I tip my hairdresser a whole of a £1, how generous AM I.

I'm talking about UK here - I dunno, I'd tip places like in the US if people are working for literally pennies.

Bunny
04-17-2010, 07:00 PM
When you buy something from a shop - do you tip them too!?

This is an entirely different work environment.

Zeldy
04-17-2010, 07:05 PM
When you buy something from a shop - do you tip them too!?

This is an entirely different work environment.

I knoww but it's just the principle I geuss, I'm a bitter shop working employee.

Shlup
04-17-2010, 07:05 PM
I hate tipping. I think it is endlessly stupid. Everyone around here wants a tip. The guy who hands me a smoothie even puts out a little tip jar. I love that in Japan, tipping is an insult. I look forward to the relief of it all next week.

That said, I have been known to tip between 15 and 20 percent unless someone pisses me off.