PDA

View Full Version : Something I donīt understand

Future Esthar
04-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Can someone please explain to me if Cocoon is a planet or a 100% mechanical construct with soil from Pulse?
Never understood this.
Thank you.

Madame Adequate
04-18-2010, 06:07 PM
As far as I know Cocoon is a constructed body, but the raw materials came from Pulse. Or fal'Cie magic or something.

Future Esthar
04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
I have doubts because Cocoon has indeed natural landscapes.

Madame Adequate
04-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Why wouldn't magical beings (Or advanced technology) be able to craft natural looking landscapes?

Raistlin
04-18-2010, 06:52 PM
I understood from the game that Cocoon was in fact created by fal'Cie.

Future Esthar
04-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Thank you.My doubt was wether they created a technological colony on a planet or everything by scratch.

VeloZer0
04-18-2010, 07:56 PM
From what I gathered it was created from 'scratch', but it was mostly by levitating material up from Pulse. So most of the terrain is indeed natural.

Future Esthar
04-19-2010, 12:02 AM
But itīs a sphere due to gravity or it is intencional?

VeloZer0
04-19-2010, 12:19 AM
I don't think that is explained. I would think that a sphere is the most effective shape something like that could have. A sphere is the most uniform shape you can make.

ANGRYWOLF
04-19-2010, 12:27 AM
if you've ever read Larry Niven's book by the same name..or a dyson sphere.

For a planet to be inhabitable it has to be built along certain lines and made of certain materials...It needs an iron core for example so it will have a magnetic field.
Not sure you could do that just from levitating materials as described.
:confused:

VeloZer0
04-19-2010, 12:45 AM
When the world is run by magic you can do anything you want :D
Since they can make gravity work with any shape a sphere makes the most sense because everything is a uniform distance from the 'sun' in the center.

Mo-Nercy
04-19-2010, 01:36 AM
This may sound silly, but initially I thought the residents of Cocoon lived 'inside' the spherical body (as is implied by the name 'Cocoon'), not on the surface (like a normal planet), which would suggest some sort of... I don't know.. reverse gravity?

It wasn't till Chapter 11 when I first saw Cocoon in the sky that I considered Cocoon might just take the form of a normal planet.

VeloZer0
04-19-2010, 01:48 AM
I thought they did live inside? It just made sense with the whole Eden being the sun in the sky thing.

Madame Adequate
04-19-2010, 02:13 AM
No they live on the interior of it, a small-scale Dyson Sphere as ANGRYWOLF says. Cocoon is hollow; that's how come there's a huge hole blown in the side of it. :p

The gravity thing is easily resolved by centrigual force, or by the fact that fal'Cie are magic.

Also yes a sphere is a structurally sound shape, and any sufficiently large body will eventually end up roughly spherical. Though I doubt that would hold with something hollow unless it were manufactured that way. That said given that Cocoon is low enough in Pulse's atmosphere that there is condensation raining off it, and it seems to be in geosynchronous orbit, I'm fairly sure we have to write this off to fal'Cie magic. No way something that big and that close could maintain geosynchronous orbit unless Pulse is spinning at a fairly horrendous speed, and seeing as it doesn't have a day-night cycle in the order of minutes...

Mo-Nercy
04-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Oh. Well now that makes much more sense. Okay, cool. Thanks.

ShinGundam
04-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Here is cocoon map (:

Edit: OK,a translated version (:

http://i42.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/9uswu1.png

http://i39.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/x41a1h.png

VeloZer0
04-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Cool, I only wish I could read anything it said :)

No.78
04-19-2010, 07:54 AM
That map is freaking awesome.

Loony BoB
04-19-2010, 09:16 AM
The fal'Cie ripped entire Pulse landscapes apart to create Cocoon. The reason it is spherical and that people are on the inside is to "protect" them, or rather, to stop them from being able to directly access the outside. There is artificial gravity generated by fal'Cie, and the same technology behind Lightning's anti-gravity device is behind what stops Cocoon from crashing into Pulse.

Future Esthar
04-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Itīs confirmed that Cocoon lies on Pulseīs atmosphere?
And where do you get that map?

VeloZer0
04-20-2010, 04:18 AM
Well, you can see Coccon from pulse, so...
Also, why do you have to use some snazzy magic gate to go between the two? There is a huge gaping whole in the side of Cocoon, it makes way more sense just to fly in and out of that.

Loony BoB
04-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Of course, flying out the gaping hole may be more difficult than it looks, given that (last time I checked, ie chapter one) the area is choc-full of military presence. Also, gates are faster!

Future Esthar
04-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Yes but how do you know where are the places?

In chapter 12 you can actualy look at the sky and see a world map just right above oneīs head.
It happens on the pathway after the forced battle with king behemot.

crazybayman
04-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Yes but how do you know where are the places?

In chapter 12 you can actualy look at the sky and see a world map just right above oneīs head.

SPOILER TAGS, PLEASE.

Raistlin
04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
How the hell is that a spoiler? There's other places you can totally see mountains.

Garnie
04-23-2010, 11:04 AM
looool

I personally think that cocoon are the bad guys. like illegal immigrants stealing from pulses resources

"ha ha were up here and your down there lol!"

crazybayman
04-23-2010, 07:13 PM
How the hell is that a spoiler? There's other places you can totally see mountains.
How in the hell was one, who hadn't gotten to chapter 12 yet, supposed to figure out that he was talking about mountains from:

Loony BoB
04-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Raistlin was basically pointing out that there are no spoilers in what FE posted. It would be as much of a spoiler as pointing out there are mountains at some point in the story. Which is not a spoiler, either.

Garnie
04-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Raistlin was basically pointing out that there are no spoilers in what FE posted. It would be as much of a spoiler as pointing out there are mountains at some point in the story. Which is not a spoiler, either.
Oh bob, where would we be without you?? :love:

Loony BoB
04-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Santiago, Chile.

Raistlin
04-25-2010, 04:45 PM
How in the hell was one, who hadn't gotten to chapter 12 yet, supposed to figure out that he was talking about mountains

Yes, that.

Cloudane
04-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Welcome to the "don't understand significant parts of this game's story" club :)

Everything points to it being artificial, including some of what is said and documented in-game. Also it's not made obvious from the camera angle but there's no real sun for example it's a fal'cie - seemingly the only bright one.

Future Esthar
04-26-2010, 06:22 PM
I got that already.