PDA

View Full Version : Instrumental Rock

Cuchulainn
04-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Love it? Hate it too boring? Like it in small doses but couldnt eat a whole one? What's you opinion?

I only ask as a wee local band has suddenly blown up in the UK and they're all about the no vocals. They're called And So I Watch You From Afar.

YouTube - And So I Watch You From Afar - "Set Guitars to Kill" - SXSW 2010 Showcasing Artist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_QEOGs37w)

YouTube - And So I Watch You From Afar - A Little Solidarity Goes A Long Way (Music Video) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EOi91-Ge6c)

PuPu
04-20-2010, 02:48 AM
Love Post-Rock.

God Is An Astronaut is my favorite post-rock band, among many others.

Rantz
04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Post-rock is actually different from instrumental rock as the only thing necessarily connecting post-rock to rock as a whole is the instruments used. I do love a lot of post-rock though, most notably Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky (the latter being one of my favourite bands).

Instrumental rock can be great, or it can be awful. It definitely needs something extra to make up for the lack of vocals, but if it does that well, it can be entirely fantastic. I really like those perfomances you linked.

Pheesh
04-20-2010, 01:23 PM
I loved Godspeed You! Black Emperor, while they were around. 65daysofstatic and explosions in the sky are amazing aswell.

When I saw explosions live it was simply amazing, it's proof that instumental music can take you to another place if you're into it.

Cuchulainn
04-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Post-rock is actually different from instrumental rock as the only thing necessarily connecting post-rock to rock as a whole is the instruments used. I do love a lot of post-rock though, most notably Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky (the latter being one of my favourite bands).

Instrumental rock can be great, or it can be awful. It definitely needs something extra to make up for the lack of vocals, but if it does that well, it can be entirely fantastic. I really like those perfomances you linked.

The second vid is through my city Belfast, supposed to be about the end of the war & peace process...I duno how you can portray that with no vocals tho

Rye
04-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Explosions in the Sky live - that's all I have to say about that. ee is right! It's really an experience.

I really like that band you linked. Watching that second video makes me reeeeally miss Belfast. Easily the best part of my time in the UK.

Aurey
04-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Godspeed are touring for the first time in forever, and they're not even playing their home country. What a gyp!

Besides them, most of what has already been mentioned is good, Explosions especially. Do Make Say Think are probably my favourite post rock group, although they are a little on the mellow/jazzy side. Their last two albums have not been great however.

BarelySeeAtAll
04-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Birthright (Beta 1.0) by Celldweller is currently my favourite song, just so happens it's classed as Instrumental Rock, just so happens I've posted about it here.

Enjoy kiddies.

NorthernChaosGod
04-20-2010, 08:30 PM
The Black Mages!

How have none of you mentioned them yet, what kind of FF based site is this?! :mad2:

YouTube - The Black Mages (Live) - Those Who Fight Further [from Final Fantasy VII] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7J5QwzonU0)

KentaRawr!
04-21-2010, 02:31 AM
For some reason, looking at the thread title, I expected this thread to be about a rock that people use to make music.

nik0tine
04-21-2010, 02:39 AM
The only rock I can stomach at all nowadays is instrumental.

I Took the Red Pill
04-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Explosions, GY!BE, and later Boards of Canada (earlier is more electronic) are all wonderful instrumental groups.