PDA

View Full Version : FF VIII lag on high def tv?

hhr1dluv
04-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Howdy! Lately I've been trying to actually finish FF VIII (gasp), but my room's TV has been upgraded to a Vizio HDTV (crap, I know :) ) I've noticed that, aside from the expected distorted polygonal image, the game lags. Did the game always lag, or is it worse on an HDTV? Is there a way to fix this? Also, is there a way to somehow lower the resolution on my TV so this game could look a bit better?

As a final aside, I plan on buying a PS3 soon. Will the older games play all right on it, or should I continue using my PS2? Merci beaucoup!

Flying Mullet
04-21-2010, 11:32 PM
What console are you playing on and how is it connected to the TV?

Hollycat
04-21-2010, 11:59 PM
no, the tv has nothing to do with the game.

Shoeberto
04-22-2010, 12:33 AM
It's probably the game. PS1 games tend to experience a lot of slowdown.

There may be some degree of synchronization differences between the audio and video, but that's much less likely to be the culprit.

A PS3 will upscale the graphics, but I don't think it does much to smooth out sections of PS1 games that are naturally laggy. But it'll look a lot better on your HDTV. Only problem is that you won't be able to transfer over your save data without buying an extra dongle that you'll probably use exactly once - PS3s do not have any memory card ports. You can, however, download saved games online and transfer them to your PS3 through thumb drive; your best bet might be to find a save game online close to where you are and go off of that.

hhr1dluv
04-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm using a PS2 slim and the cable it came with (AV?). I don't know, I might be imagining it. Should I expect PS1 games to look worse on an HDTV, or is that only due to the system I'm using. By worse, I mean less smooth. Like, I can tell that Squall is made from three squares, for instance.

Tseng
05-09-2010, 08:28 PM
I cant imagine what the problem could be! I can only relay similar trouble that my brother in law was having with his HD setup (TV) and his DirecTv Satellite box. Apparently his sattellite was somewhat faster than his television as far as relaying commands and/or information goes. Due to this his TV would lag on channels and take a few seconds to display the image without audio, then soon thereafter with audio. This would happen every time he changed a channel. I will second what Shoeberto said about synchronization. The standard def AV cables should be sufficient as well as your system, the only thing I can attribute the problem to is the TV. The Vizio's refresh rate might be slow for standard definition since it is HD on a budget due to the market Vizio is trying to satisfy. Try an HD cable and see what happens.
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to put in my two cents. Well maybe just a cent and a half. Hope its all resolved!

Jessweeee♪
05-09-2010, 10:47 PM
It always lagged for me when I did quake on Disc 4, but that's about it.

Baloki
05-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 discs do not work in the PS3 as they want you to rebuy them from the PSN for £7.99 each :/

Edit: However the PSN versions upscale a little better, but not by much tbh :/

Clo
05-10-2010, 03:14 PM
It always lagged for me when I did quake on Disc 4, but that's about it.

What the... it did this with me too, I found it so annoying. What gives?

kotora
05-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Probably just the game.

Anyway, get a component cable for PS2. Composite looks absolutely horrible on an HDTV.

Citizen Bleys
05-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Anyway, get a component cable for PS2. Composite looks absolutely horrible on an HDTV.

This. All of my PS2 games look like arse if I play them on my PS2 (my only YPbPr input is occupied by my DSTB), but put the same game in my PS3, and it looks much better.

I am, perforce, using my PS2 as a bookend.

theundeadhero
05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
BAloki's mention about FF games not working on a PS3 is not correct. The PS3 slim is backwards compatible with the PS1 and I just finished a playthrough of FFIX on it.

kotora
05-10-2010, 08:19 PM
FFIX doesn't work for me. It gets stuck at the PS logo while it works just fine on my PS2 and PC. I'm suspecting it has something to do with Sony screwing Europe over once again.

Citizen Bleys
05-11-2010, 02:07 AM
I'm suspecting it has something to do with Sony screwing Europe over once again.

Consider it revenge for the Spice Girls.

Flying Mullet
05-11-2010, 02:10 AM
But Bleys, tell me what you want, what you really really want?

Citizen Bleys
05-11-2010, 02:19 AM
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet
I mustn't murder Mullet

kotora
05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm suspecting it has something to do with Sony screwing Europe over once again.

And nobody even considers that island to be a part of Europe :cry:

Baloki
05-12-2010, 08:43 AM
JUGULARING!

Rad Bromance
05-13-2010, 02:16 AM

And nobody even considers that island to be a part of Europe :cry:
Really? Everyone outside Europe and every map and textbook I've ever looked at does.

Uh, by "lag" do you mean the video isn't keeping up with the audio? If so, yes, that could be the fault of the TV due to a really bad response time (but I don't think there's been any television manufactured in the last year that has a response time so low that you'd actually notice it). I'm talking 8ms+ response time.

Aside of that I can't imagine it lagging due to the console or the game itself. Are you emulating it? That could be the problem.