PDA

View Full Version : Freelancer: lost in time

Hollycat
04-22-2010, 12:20 AM
I doubt many of you have heard of the game freelancer. It was produced by digital anvil around 2000, and brought out a great new graphics and fighting style, and in 2007, was remodled and new stuff was added by microsoft, who recently shut down all official servers, and now has stopped game production. The game features full 3d space battles, over 30 unique starships, an overwhelming arsenal of weapons, sheilds, engines, and an enterprose system which after story mode allows the player to become a true freelancer, exploring over 50 unique worlds, and eperience an ever changing alliance system that can make or break the player, making the possibility of hostiles becoming comrads. Online communities have made countless patches and add ons that allow anything from character and vehicle customization to a completely new story and world, as well as several hundred themed servers that put the player in control of the world. The game was expected to have an even further advanced sequel, but microsoft cancelled it when it bought out digital anvil. the only drawback of the game is that there are many uncontrollable actions during story mode that effect your representation with each group, and if you dont have a powerful enough ship and enter an edge system, you will not live.

This pc game is my favorite game of all time, for no matter how many times I beat it, I can always start a new game and take a new path. With full control over your choices and exciting and dangerous edge worlds, as well as a fight for the human race in the year 2800, this game is an absolute must. The game features everything from racing to fighting, to avoiding pirates, to a very deep storyline, and even includes parts where a hostile force will give you the choice of dropping cargo, or fighting them. This is the only true 3d game I have ever seen, and although it is unplayable with a laptop, It truly deserves to go down in the hall of gaming history.

This thread is for any questions about the game, as well as any other personal reveiws of it.

Loony BoB
04-22-2010, 11:59 AM
I loved playing Freelancer with Danielle via LAN. It was a great game as co-op, very enjoyable. I wish the sequel came out, or at least that something similar which is as good if not better would come out that has co-op functionality inbuilt to it. I miss those kind of games.

Hollycat
04-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Indeed, it was a revolution, but was not properly advertised. however, if you still have your copy, you can download patches such as discovery freelancer and explore new graphics and worlds and ships. There are still homerun servers open all over.

Loony BoB
04-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah, but I'd prefer a brand new game, obviously. Oh well. There are a lot of similar games but none seem to have co-op functionality built in.

Hollycat
04-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah, but I'd prefer a brand new game, obviously. Oh well. There are a lot of similar games but none seem to have co-op functionality built in.

The only game quite like freelancer is eve, and you have to pay monthly for it. There was a lot of work going into frellancer 2, but now that its cancelled, itll be a player made game. I have some ideas for a good sequel. Maybe download a patch for it to keep the coop but have a new game

Loony BoB
04-22-2010, 03:59 PM
It's not really like Freelancer, EVE - as with any MMORPG, it takes months if not years to get to "the top", while single player games allow for much faster progression in-game and also have more immediate and direct storylines.

The closest games to Freelancer are definitely along the lines of the X series (latest: X3: Reunion), but they aren't co-op and could be argued as overcomplicated.

Hollycat
04-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Truly, freelancer was one of a kind.

ps if anyone has a copy im willing to pay $5 for it

mine got stolen

Jings
04-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Freelancer was a lot of fun to play online. Making cargo runs all over the galaxy was pretty much the extent of it for me, but I loved it.

Starlancer was good too.

Hollycat
04-22-2010, 06:09 PM
I was god at this game, I got so bold as to play the entire game with the first ship, until I had to change in Britonia, and then I even went to the edge worlds and the two empty zones. then i died