PDA

View Full Version : School

BarelySeeAtAll
04-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Okay I missed the first bus, missed the second, now what?

I get £30 a week for EMA, and I'll miss it if I don't show up for my -one- lesson I have. A taxi should be around £20. Doing the math, I would still be "making a profit" as it were. But is it worth it?

Should I call up a taxi and get in school to sit around on a computer editing work I've already done? Or stay at home doing sweet F-A wishing I had done something more productive?

Loony BoB
04-23-2010, 01:50 PM
You get paid to show up, so show up.

Fonzie
04-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Pff, school is for losers!

I stay home and smoke crack all day long, and look how successful on a message board I am.

Italics.

kotora
04-23-2010, 02:39 PM
no I think you should wait until you have at least 50 replies so you can then make a well weighed decision based on what strangers on the internet say

Hollycat
04-23-2010, 02:48 PM
You get paid to go to school?!?!?!?!

Rodarian
04-23-2010, 03:51 PM
You missed two bus rides and you're posting here!! Woman get on the bus , taxi or horse now and move it!!

BarelySeeAtAll
04-23-2010, 04:52 PM
no I think you should wait until you have at least 50 replies so you can then make a well weighed decision based on what strangers on the internet say

..bitch

:D Well anyhow, by the time I got replies I would've been late. Regardless my teacher wasn't EVEN there T_T

Though, I did miss my final HPV vaccine :confused: woops. Totally forgot about it :jess:

Chloe.
04-23-2010, 05:23 PM
You get paid to show up, so show up.

This.

If I got paid EMA I'd make sure I showed up everyday, but I'm not eligible for it so if I was in your situation I probably wouldn't bother going. It really annoys me that I can't get it even though I do just as much (or sometimes more) work than everyone else but some people are getting paid for it! :(

BarelySeeAtAll
04-23-2010, 07:03 PM
It really annoys me that I can't get it even though I do just as much (or sometimes more) work than everyone else but some people are getting paid for it! :(

It's nothing to do with how much work you do, it's about the income of parents. Since my single working mother earns nowhere near enough I get £30 a week, and every month I give her £20 to help her out. It's so we pay for our own clothes, or save up for uni or whatnot. Granted, just because your parents earn more it doesn't entirely mean you don't buy your own, or that you can afford uni. Whatever, I'm not complaining regardless.

Though my mate is in kind of upper class, but the "lower half" if ya like. His parents and family earn quite a bit, but since the money his mother earns goes straight back into their business it means that that income doesn't count towards ema. Life's a bitch.

Don't hate on us. Basically.

Chloe.
04-23-2010, 07:35 PM
It really annoys me that I can't get it even though I do just as much (or sometimes more) work than everyone else but some people are getting paid for it! :(

It's nothing to do with how much work you do, it's about the income of parents. Since my single working mother earns nowhere near enough I get £30 a week, and every month I give her £20 to help her out. It's so we pay for our own clothes, or save up for uni or whatnot. Granted, just because your parents earn more it doesn't entirely mean you don't buy your own, or that you can afford uni. Whatever, I'm not complaining regardless.

Though my mate is in kind of upper class, but the "lower half" if ya like. His parents and family earn quite a bit, but since the money his mother earns goes straight back into their business it means that that income doesn't count towards ema. Life's a bitch.

Don't hate on us. Basically.
I know that it's not about how much work you do, I'm just saying that I could be sat there next to someone doing exactly the same thing as them but they're getting paid for it and I'm not. I don't get it because my parents apparently earn too much but we have a huge family and huge bills to pay so I don't see any of that money.

I work for all of the money that I earn and I'm not saying that someone who gets EMA doesn't, it's just that I know a lot of them who spend their £30 a week on crap and not towards supplies and things for their education which is what it's for. So it's annoying that all they have to do is turn up and they get money whereas I have pretty good attendance and get nothing.

Anyway, I get really annoyed on this subject so I think I should stop now :p

Zeldy
04-24-2010, 08:25 PM

Yes, here people will get PAID to have 100% attendance.

Hell, If I got EMA then I'd attend every lesson but as I don't I take great pleasure in letting myself have mornings off and skipping lessons just because I feel like it. I really don't agree with EMA, it's positive discrimination. I can't stand the kids in my classes who whine that their EMA hasn't gone in yet, it's like I DON'T GET ANY!? they also get bonuses at Christmas and at the end of the year! Like nearly a hundred quid just for going to college, which is (becoming) compulsory anyway!

I'm very against EMA. It's just drinking money.

BarelySeeAtAll
04-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Let's all blame the stupid government for helping us out a little. It's not like we who get EMA are to blame or at fault. Sure the people who are getting it can be a little more sensitive about it, but can you guys please calm it down? I only asked if I should or should not go in to school, maybe I should never have mentioned EMA jeeze.

kotora
04-24-2010, 08:43 PM

Hell, If I got EMA then I'd attend every lesson but as I don't I take great pleasure in letting myself have mornings off and skipping lessons just because I feel like it. I really don't agree with EMA, it's positive discrimination. I can't stand the kids in my classes who whine that their EMA hasn't gone in yet, it's like I DON'T GET ANY!? they also get bonuses at Christmas and at the end of the year! Like nearly a hundred quid just for going to college, which is (becoming) compulsory anyway!

don't go hating us poor kids. It's only logical we get more money if our parents don't pay for every fucking thing. If I want to spend my extra money on beer then that's my problem.

Hollycat
04-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Im poor, and I have to pay to go to school!!!

Zeldy
04-24-2010, 08:45 PM

don't go hating us poor kids. It's only logical we get more money if our parents don't pay for every smurfing thing. If I want to spend my extra money on beer then that's my problem.

I get nothing from my parents, I stopped getting pocket money at 16. They were barely over the 30k mark. Do you know how I afford beer and stuff? I have a job and I spend my weekends working and earn my own money. It's just the principle, I ain't hating on no poor kids.

Madame Adequate
04-24-2010, 08:48 PM
I never got that extra Christmas time money :(

Edit: Oh yeah and it was totally drinking money that's why I gave most of it to my disabled mother and retired grandma so we could eat food and not get hypothermia

Rye
04-24-2010, 08:49 PM
I think it'd be cool to get paid to go to school and I think it's great for people who are really low income as an incentive to keep them in school rather than working full-time to help their family, but for the case of most kids, I'm with Zeldy; teens should should work part-time and earn. It teaches character, anyway. Except for Christmas and holiday gifts, my parents have stopped giving me money and buying me stuff since I got a job at 17. It's for the best, really.

EDIT: I think better financial aid should be given out for university though in the US. It seems almost random, how financial aid is given out. People in the middle class who aren't rich enough to pay fees without a care, but aren't poor enough to make benefits end up getting just about zero aid. I've ended up transferring to a school in state and staying at home for my remaining years of university because I got like $2000 of non-loan financial aid, when the school I went to in Rhode Island for my freshman year cost $30k a year, which was bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:. No one should pay that much for one year of university and I ended up being kind of stuck going there for the year, so there wasn't much I could do about it.

As absolutely horrible as it sounds, the kids of divorced parents have things pretty good when it comes to school. My cousin's parents just got a divorce and now she goes to a private college for absolutely free. My parents have said more than once that they should stage a fake divorce just to have us go to a university for free, then remarry. XD

My brother and I are happily going to state schools that cost us $6k a year each now!

kotora
04-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Having a job is totally irrelevant. It's fine to work for your own stuff. Kids shouldn't have to work to make up for being poor. Then again I guess it must be really tough if your parents 'only' make 30k a year.

Zeldy
04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Having a job is totally irrelevant. It's fine to work for your own stuff. Kids shouldn't have to work to make up for being poor. Then again I guess it must be really tough if your parents 'only' make 30k a year.

The only reason I said "barely over the 30k mark" is because 30k and below is when you get EMA!

All I'm saying is, in most cases, EMA doesn't act as "educational maintenance allowance" as most teenagers drink it away. I know this for a fact! EMA should go to those who need it.

BarelySeeAtAll
04-24-2010, 09:07 PM
This isn't a damned thread on EMA anyway guys. So let's drop it and discuss how naughty I was for skiving, else I'll just ask someone to close this thread because to be frank I'm getting a little sick and tired of it.

Thanks.

Rye
04-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Okay, guys, you heard the girl.

I couldn't scold you for skiving because I always did it in school, especially in my last year. I just believe in mental health days, but I kind of took the in excess. XD

Shoeberto
04-24-2010, 09:24 PM
I've known people who skip in excess - as in, never going to class - and so I try to skip as little as possible out of pure spite for their laziness. I do stay home sometimes, if I've had a rough night of sleep or feel sick, but only if I absolutely know I won't be missing anything graded.

There are classes that I wouldn't miss anything if I did skip, but I kinda like to give the professor a reason to not hate me by showing up. If the lecture is boring, I usually just tool around on my laptop.

Bunny
04-24-2010, 09:32 PM
You are a very bad naughty silly girl for skipping your studies and you should feel absolutely horrible about it everytime you do it. I want you to reflect on this day later in your life and remember that your successes and failures were determined by this one, single day.

I skip my Psychology class a lot because I'm not a fan of the way the teacher teaches and I skip my Introduction to PC Applications class because I know how to use the programs that are being taught and the only reason I am taking it is because it is part of my major for some reason. I always attend my English and Humanities classes because I like the teachers.

In high school, I rarely skipped because I had nothing better to do and it gave me extra time to nap. Except my senior year when all of my classes were easy and lasted about an hour long total.

Zeldy
04-24-2010, 09:56 PM
I skipped my Photography class for a week because I'd missed the hand-in deadline for coursework on the Friday and was petrified to see my teacher on the Monday, so I just didn't go for a week. It made it worse as he ended up contacting my form tutor who was like "Amy - Photography has summoned you". I had to finally go to a lesson with my tail between my legs and apologise like crazy.

My college is really strict on attendance. I've skipped alot of lessons but most of the time I'll get pulled up over it. Just saying "Oh sorry I was Ill" is enough to get out of it though.

I'm finding it near impossible to get up in time for first class which starts at 8:45am, I don't think I went to one last week.

rubah
04-25-2010, 06:32 AM
hell, people in my classes go to extra classes! there are 60 of us in a twice a week, two hour long class, monday and wednesday, but there's usually at least 30 in on Fridays, too. I didn't go friday before last because I was busy doing hw for that class xD

Can someone send me a PM or visitor message explaining EMA? I mean, I kinda get the gist, and I could just wikipedia it, but I like to get individual reactions!

Jessweeee♪
04-25-2010, 07:16 AM
I was pretty bad about attendance for awhile. I had to do all kinds of silly things to get me going in the morning! It's always easier when I have Psychology first thing.

BarelySeeAtAll
04-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Trouble is, I don't live in the town my college is in, so if I want to go home after my lessons I have to wait a few hours to get the college bus or wait till 1:40 to get the public bus home. Normally I do that, like on a Tuesday I get the bus in and return after double psychology.

On Fridays, I used to have English Lit. and History both 3rd and 4th (before lunch), but now I only have English Lit. 3rd lesson. It's an insane waste of a day to go in for hours just for one hour of lesson time.

Hopefully going to go to the Exeter college, since it gives more independence etc and at least I'll have no choice but to go to school :') So..basically I hate fridays. Maybe it'd be worth talking to my teachers about it or something @_@

Hollycat
04-26-2010, 02:38 AM
I found a quater on the sidewalk once.,

On my fist day of 7th grade I found a $100 bill, but somonz stol it

Old Manus
04-26-2010, 08:32 PM
I got the full £30 p/w EMA, as well as the £100 'bonus' every term for 100% attendance. When I skipped a lecture I forged my teacher's signature. Felt good man, gotta get that paper :cool:

-sentence relating to the topic will be posted here when i think about making one-

BarelySeeAtAll
04-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Just call me naughty and be done with it ;D

EMA xD for some reason I think of my name when I read it. Sad I know.

Thanks H.C for being so contributional. Give me your money. OH WAIT, I don't need it since I get EMA, how could I forget.

Jiro
04-27-2010, 03:27 PM
I haven't skipped class on purpose since I started uni, I actually enjoy my classes. Well... if they're boring I just sleep, easy fix.

Hot Shot
04-27-2010, 06:22 PM
I've missed plenty of classes in my last year of college (which I shouldn't have done) and I always have a story in my head. I always did other things like play basketball and hang out (mostly with girls, if you know what I mean :)) and still got my EMA because I got my tutor to back date it (I don't think they do that anymore).

But anyways, there is no harm in missing class if it doesn't make your grades suffer. It's only natural that a student misses some class through illness, traffic issues and just plain not wanting to go in.

missaira
04-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I think in high school I took one day off just because I could; it was like the last day of our second last term and we all went to the beach : ) It was my only absent day for all of year twelve.

Then I started uni and while I'm pretty much the same goody-two-shoes as I was before, one of my best friends is becoming a bad influence (in the nicest way possible!) Instead of going to the boring core lecture yesterday he kidnapped me and went and got Starbucks instead : ) Mmm, dark chocolate frappucino <3

So yeah, that was my go at rebelling. Woo me : )