PDA

View Full Version : Crotch.......et

Rye
04-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Any people who crochet out there? I'm trying to teach myself using books and youtube. It's one of those things that is tremendously difficult to learn without having a person right next to you, but I've been trudging along. I've been able to do base chain stitches alright, but then the actually crotchet stitches are really tricky to place and do. My results kind of like the mix between a shrimp and a tampon tail, which I don't think is right, but I suppose that's one shrimp/tampon tail that I couldn't crochet yesterday, right? I think I'm going to look into some yarn shops and find someone to get me a lesson though. I am obsessed with amigurumi art.

http://www.momandpopdesign.com/blog1/images/2008/04/09/amigurumi.jpg

MY GOAL

Alt topic: Any new hobbies you're learning lately?

louby_4eva
04-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Did you know that in Huddersfield people pronounce it crocher? A Random fact for you there :)
As for the topic, I'm trying to learn German, it's so fun. I've been using random websites and stuff but they don't seem too reliable. I have a book as well though. I love it :D :D :D

Good luck with the crochet Rye.

Smile and Be happy :love:

Mogi
04-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Jesswee and I are cosplaying a Team Rocket grunt couple next year and we need to learn to make pokeballs!

Rye
04-24-2010, 12:55 AM
Those could be pretty easily hand sewn out of felt and stuffed with fiber fill!

Mogi
04-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Yeah, we have the directions already, but neither of us have ever crocheted (?) anything, so we have to learn, I suppose!

Rye
04-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Oh right, you're crocheting those, thought you were sewing them. XD Hurf. I bet that'll look really cute. If you learn before me, send over some crocheting tips.

Mogi
04-24-2010, 01:32 AM
Okees! I'm really excited for it X3

Shlup
04-24-2010, 02:27 AM
I crocheted a blanket once when I was a kid. Maybe you should start with a baby blanket until you get down a rhythm for the loops or whatever.

Rye
04-24-2010, 02:34 AM
I want to start with a blanket, but I don't even know how to get the single crochet stitches done right. XD I always have big gaping holes in themmmm.

rubah
04-24-2010, 04:01 AM
When you yarn over and pull the yarn through your stitch, bring it taut (but not cinched down) on your hook, then twist the hook so that the hooky part is facing into the corner of the stitch (it should be clearly visible) and you can pull it through easily. This is how you make your nominal stitch size. By doing it this way, you should be reasonably sure that all your stitches are the same size and that they are the correct size for whatever hook you are using.

I made a set of romeo and juliet dolls in ninth grade for an english project. I made a [terrible] poncho in 11th grade when I was into such things. I made a free-form "razorpig" doorstop for my mom for christmas one year (I dont' recommend stuffing these things with shredded paper!) I made stu a scarf made out of granny squares (like... idk 10 or 12 of them, each about 8" wide). Haven't done anything lately. Lola likes to unravel my yarn.

I can do some videos if you'd like, Rye. I remember how frustrating it was when my grandmother taught me xD

Rye
04-24-2010, 02:57 PM
That'd be nice, if you feel like it! =O

I think my biggest problem is that I just don't know if what I'm doing is right because I'm not sure how it's supposed to look in the beginning stages. I've only seen things completed.

Rodarian
04-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I know how to embroider.. I made my sister a silk purse with motif themed imagery...

And you know what sister said... She said that I would make a lovely house wife.... :colbert:

Rye
04-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Aww, that's awful. XD I'm not very good at embroidery, though I can do whipstitching my hand, and I use that when I make stuffed felt things.

This is my latest attempt at making single crochet stitches. I think it's technically sort of on the right track, but is it supposed to curl like that? It just looks like a shrimp. XDD

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/ryechuuu/isthiscrochet.jpg

Rebellious Eagle
04-24-2010, 10:45 PM
It does look like a shrimp but it's kinda cute!
My mom taught me how to crochet when I was about 4 years old but of course I don't remember how to anymore. I never have the patience for these kind of things. D:

rubah
04-25-2010, 06:27 AM
it's curling up because your initial chain stitch is tighter (higher tension) than your later stitches. The bigger ones take up more room, so they push it in a spiral!