PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons

arcanedude34
04-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Ignoring the fact that the entire game is essentially a continual dungeon, what was your favorite/least favorite dungeon in the game?

I quite liked the Waterscape, despite the stupid weather gimmick. It was breathtaking to look at, and the song is very catchy and atmospheric. Oprah's cradle was a pretty decent final area too.

Despite being one of the least linear areas in the game (besides the Calm Lands, which would be on here if I could consider it a dungeon) Taejin's Tower annoyed me because of the backtracking, pseudo-"puzzles" and annoying boss at the end.

Also, the Mah'habara Subterra (who the hell named some of these places?) and the Vile Peaks both seem to go on FOREVER.

Garnie
04-24-2010, 05:20 AM
A lot of people hated the tower, I liked the tower: t'was fun ^_^

kotora
04-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Ignoring the fact that the entire game is essentially a continual dungeon tunnel, what was your favorite/least favorite dungeon in the game?

fixed.

I don't think I liked any of the areas in the game. Then again the suckyness of the game might have distracted from that. Gran Pulse had some nice looking areas.

seiferalmasy2
04-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Hold on to your hats, I am going to say something nice about XIII. Yes I loved Gran Pulse. Graphically and atmospherically (is that even a word?) it was very nicely done, and seeing monsters roaming the area really made it feel alive.

Now had XIII been a good game and added gameplay into the mix, it would have served a purpose past establishing atmosphere.

Still, I do like Gran Pulse from a purely atmosphere and graphics pov. I wish we could have Calm lands in X to have these graphics, best of both worlds.

Raistlin
04-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Chapter 10, by far. It went on forever, was very repetitive, and the story "development" in it annoyed me. I didn't really care for any of the "dungeons" though; Orphan's Cradle was completely random and also repetitive. You could tell the writers had just given up when you're randomly teleported to fight a completely random boss and then magically teleported back to where you were. It was like a parody of random boss fights.

Compared to those two, Taejin's Tower wasn't too bad.

Ezme
04-24-2010, 09:33 AM
I have to say the 5th ark.... seemed totally pointless...... and I like XIII

Favourite... ummm I loved all the naturalistic areas of gran pulse, not so much a fan of the tunnels/oerba/the tower.

Pete for President
04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
I have to say the 5th ark.... seemed totally pointless..

Agreed.

I like the area with the enormous treetrunks (next to Pulse's main steppe) best. They look wild.

Future Esthar
04-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Taijinīs tower is one of my favorites along with the Palamecia,PolumPolumm and Great Pulse.

Flying Arrow
04-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Outside of the wallpaper, virtually none of the areas in this game are interesting from a layout perspective because they are all nearly identical.

But my personal favourite is Gran Pulse, if only because I can go back and forth and explore to my heart's content. Still, GP is disappointing because it's such an anomaly in the rest of the package that I can't help but wish SE integrated it better into the rest of the game world. Also, it's really not all that well developed either. It really only exists for the single sidequest, and even the sidequest itself seems tacked on being just billboards of vague backstory leading to palette-swap enemies who drop mildly useful items or activate more datalog entries. None of it is as compelling as it could be.

Least favourite - probably chapter 10's obstacle course. Completely killed my interest in the game for at least three weeks. Taejin's Tower is also an obnoxious waste of time.

No.78
04-24-2010, 06:31 PM
The secret area of Mahhabara with all the bird monster things. I just hated fighting them.

My favorite... Well, seeming as you think every area is a dungeon I'll go ahead and say the Yaschis Massif. :) Beautiful.

VeloZer0
04-24-2010, 06:39 PM
I seem to be the only person who liked the Ark and Taejin's Tower. Other than the optional area Yaschas Massif - Paddraean Archaeopolis (which I don't think counts as a dungeon as it is outdoors) they were my favorite zones.

Least favorite would probably be Chapter 6. After a while the theme song started to grate on my nerves, and the decor wasn't my cup of tea.

ChickenHeart
04-24-2010, 09:12 PM
I can't really decide but... i liked the lake bresha, vile peaks, gapra whitewood, sunleath terrance, vallis media camp...that's it tbh, all the others were boring...

Edit: And the sulya springs! That was a nice place

Future Esthar
04-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Vallis Media is boring and my less favorite.
I also liked the Ark even though it seems to never end.

Del Murder
04-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Taejin's Tower was my favorite. I like areas where you do something more than just run to the exit. 5th Ark was my least favorite because it seemed repetitive.

Future Esthar
04-24-2010, 10:40 PM
It was repetitive indeed.But on the end of this chapter the characters decide to defy their focus and looks for answers on how to heal themselves.This and the Ark explanation makes me love this chapter.
Too sad the end of chapter 11 make it all pointless.

arcanedude34
04-25-2010, 01:43 AM
It was repetitive indeed.But on the end of this chapter the characters decide to defy their focus and looks for answers on how to heal themselves.This and the Ark explanation makes me love this chapter.
Too sad the end of chapter 11 make it all pointless.
That may be the most comprehensive thing you've ever said on these forums. :O

And yeah, by "dungeon" I mean "area with things to poke and kill with sharp objects."

Loony BoB
04-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Favourite: Waterscape. All this dampness is damp! But beautiful. :) Also, Sulya Springs on Pulse.
Least favourite: The Ark, easily. A distant second would be the Vile Peaks.

Ezme
04-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Decided on my fave rather than just "naturey bits of gran pulse!"

Yascha's mastive- Tscubaddran highlands. The view from there is amazing and has all the cool bits of pulse bar titan! Lots of cliffs, cool trees crystals. Plus as I play flute IRL I love that a flute is being used in the jazz style rather than the normal airy fairy fantasy style.