PDA

View Full Version : Barthandelus Japanese name

Future Esthar
04-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Found out that in Japanese he is named Superpope.
Interesting.
It makes sense considering the names of some of the types of the sanctum army.

Sephiroth
04-26-2010, 08:37 PM
His japanese name is "Barutoanderusu" - "Garensu Daisuri".

Future Esthar
04-26-2010, 09:39 PM
People on the internet translate it as Superpope.

Sephiroth
04-26-2010, 09:50 PM
People like those don't even know their own language good enough.

Future Esthar
04-26-2010, 11:12 PM
So what is the real meaning?Barthandelus?

Flying Arrow
04-26-2010, 11:32 PM
"Barthandelus" is actually an anagram of "Ultimecia" or so I've read.

Goldenboko
04-26-2010, 11:43 PM

There is no C in Barthandelus.

Flying Arrow
04-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Well it probably works in Finnish or something.

Vermachtnis
04-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Pope! Quick to the Popemobile!

Future Esthar
04-27-2010, 01:03 AM
You misunderstand me.This is not a theory thread.I am only posting what I saw on the internet.
If you donīt believe post "Superpope" and "FFXIII" on Google.
So stop the kidding please.

Goldenboko
04-27-2010, 01:16 AM
Most likely, Bart's name has no meaning, there where many people who bought the game early, before it's international release date, who didn't know the Japanese language well. You are talking about those people, who couldn't translate his name and thus dawned a nickname, "Superpope".

Internet =/= True.

Lawr
04-27-2010, 01:39 AM

Aaaaand the joke flies over your head.

Mo-Nercy
04-27-2010, 01:51 AM

Aaaaand the joke flies over your head.
There's no C in Ultimecia, either.. if you really think about it.

It all adds up, people.

Future Esthar
04-27-2010, 01:57 AM
But there were many calling that to him.

Goldenboko
04-27-2010, 02:09 AM

And a lot of people are stupid. :)

arcanedude34
04-27-2010, 02:16 AM
People call Sazh Chocobro. I call Orphan Oprah. It's just a fan-nickname.

Future Esthar
04-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Yes,but itīs not possible they came all with exactly the same name is it?

Loony BoB
04-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Does that mean anything in particular? How does it translate to English?

Sephiroth
04-27-2010, 02:10 PM

That's just his japanese name. You cannot say how it will be translated generally because it is just a name. Often it depend on how you pronounce the english letter so Crisis Core's "Ka-n-se-ru" is translated "Kunsel", et cetera, but you cannot say you translate it all the same way, because Katakana are used for...yeah, names like I have explained. "Fuainaru Fuantashi - Final Fantasy".

I for example have called "Barthandelus" "Baltoanders" before he had his american/european translation. I thought the would translate him like that. Or "Gurenth Dysry".

Loony BoB
04-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Oh, I thought the name might have more meaning. Never mind then. :)

According to the guide (and I'm only recalling from memory here) Barthandelus is used as a similar name to a Norse God of illusion or something, who often disguised himself as an owl or something.

Sephiroth
04-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Oh, I thought the name might have more meaning. Never mind then. :)

If the name has a meaning I do not know it.

EDIT: Which is fitting because of his Mech Owl "Minerva".

Ezme
04-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I think I shall be refering to bathy as superpope from now on! :p:D

Shlup
04-27-2010, 04:46 PM

Because it's funny.

Croyles
04-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Its an internet 'trope', which is like the stages before it becomes a meme or a cliche.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-28-2010, 08:17 AM

That's just his japanese name. You cannot say how it will be translated generally because it is just a name. Often it depend on how you pronounce the english letter so Crisis Core's "Ka-n-se-ru[/b]" is translated "Kunsel", et cetera, but you cannot say you translate it all the same way, because Katakana are used for...yeah, names like I have explained. "Fuainaru Fuantashi - Final Fantasy".

I for example have called "Barthandelus" "Baltoanders" before he had his american/european translation. I thought the would translate him like that. Or "Gurenth Dysry".
Technically ファイナルファンタシ is "Fainaru Fantashi". For it to be "Fuainaru Fuantashi", it'd be written フアナルフアンタシ. The difference is slight, but significant in pronunciation. ファ is read as "fa" and フア is "fua". ファ (fa)、フィ (fi)、フェ (fe)、フォ (fo)、ヴァ (va)、ヴィ (vi)、ヴェ (ve)、ヴォ (vo)、and ティ (ti) are commonly used in katakana to represent sounds not native to the Japanese language (in this case "f" and "v", though at times for "v" they will use the "b" sound)

According to Wikipedia:

Barthandelus (バルトアンデルス, Barutoanderusu?, Baldanders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldanders) in Japanese version)

Apparently, Baldanders is a Germanic creature that represents the constant changing of both nature and society and is a shapeshifter.

Sephiroth
04-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Thanks, I know japanese>_> I have written it like that to make it easier to understand and the japanese name is not "Baldanders". It is just another translation, because the original japanese name has his "o" from "to" and his "u"s from "ru" and "su", et cetera. Plus the "to" of Barthandelus has no umlaut so it is no "do", it is still a "to". And it is "Fu" and "Fua" because the first Katakana of "Final" and "Fantasy" is a "hu", which is pronounced like an "f" and of course you do not pronounce the "u", at least often.

EDIT: Not really. His name in other languages is "Baldanders" and in japanese he is called "Barutoanderusu", and not "Baldanders". That's like you would say Sephiroth's japanese name is "Sephiroth" and it simply is not. Should "Barutoanderusu" the japanese version of Baldanders? This is possible. But "Baldanders" itself is not his japanese name.

And actually using Wikipedia in a discussion is not very good. People can edit what they want. So it is possible he could be "Baldanders", but the japanese version is definitely not "Baldanders".

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Actually, it doesn't make it easier to understand considering the most prevalent form of romanization is the Hepburn system, moreover the wapuro system recognizes ファ as "fa" not "fua", as well as the Hepburn system. Using the wapuro system of IME, if you type "fua" you get "フア" not "ファ". So to say that transliterating ファ as "fua" is helpful is pretty false, since using Wapuro, you'd either have to type "fa", "fula" or "fuxa". The latter two have little resemblance to the phonetic intention of ファ, which is the sound "fa". The purpose of ファ is present the non-Japanese sound of "fa" because katakana is used for foreign words (and by extension sounds). Even the case of you saying that "フ" is romanized as "hu" is inconsistent since you were previously relying on a different romanization system where earlier you used フ as "fu". My point being, no matter how you split it, "fua" will always be フア to an English speaker using IME input which is based on the Wapuro romanization which itself borrows from the Hepburn as well as other systems. So to say using "fua" makes it easier to understand "ファ" seems like a very weak argument considering the prevalent forms of romanization used in the English language.

I said according to Wikipedia that his Japanese name comes from "Baldanders" which is not a far stretch from バルトアンデルス despite there being not diacritical marks on the ト, which is really the only flaw in the argument. Especially if you consider the fact that as BoB said that n the strategy guide it said the name came from a Nordic deity. The Nordic language is a Northern Germanic language. So the possibility is quite strong, but I'd have to see it from an official guide to be sure. Also, Barthy's (my nick for him) ability to shape shift between human-like form and his fal'Cie form does lend it to the mythos surrounding the Baldanders. I have yet to see a proper citation, but the association between the two seems common enough given a quick Google search. Apparently, in the Spanish as well as the Italian versions, his name is Baldanders as well. So the evidence seems to be stack against you.

Future Esthar
04-30-2010, 12:25 AM
It makes sense he is called Superpope considering the higher sanctum troops has names like Sanctum Archangel,Inquisitrix,Templar,etc...

Goldenboko
04-30-2010, 12:34 AM
It makes sense he is called Superpope considering the higher sanctum troops has names like Sanctum Archangel,Inquisitrix,Templar,etc...

Yes, it also makes sense for Kuja to be called thong dude, because he looks like one, doesn't make it anything more than a fan-dub. You really think square would make an official name SUPER POPE. We're talking grade A comic mischief with a side of lawsuit.

Shlup
04-30-2010, 12:45 AM

Are you honest to god still convinced that there's any possibility that Super Pope is any more than a fan-made nickname, or are you just dicking around?

Future Esthar
04-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Or that may be what inspired people to name him that.
I just stated the name makes sense on the context.I said nothing about it being the oficial name.

Goldenboko
04-30-2010, 12:52 AM
The name makes sense, because he's dressed up like the freaking Pope.

Shlup
04-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Well, yeah, it makes sense. People don't usually make up nicknames out of nothing. It's just a funny name.

McLovin'
04-30-2010, 03:22 AM
this thread is jokes. too funny.

Prancing Mad
05-01-2010, 06:27 PM
One thing is for sure. I wish they had called him superpope in english.

Future Esthar
05-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah:)
Looks more like an Arabian overlord to me!

theundeadhero
05-02-2010, 04:07 AM
He... doesn't look anything like an arabian overlord.
He looks like a mix between The Pope and Emperor Palpatine. That's why some people call him Superpope and others call him Emperor Palpatine. Saying that has to be his real name because people on the internet call him that is exactly the same as saying his real name is Emperor Palpatine because that's what all my friends call him.

Sephiroth
05-02-2010, 10:35 AM
He... doesn't look anything like an arabian overlord.
He looks like a mix between The Pope and Emperor Palpatine. That's why some people call him Superpope and others call him Emperor Palpatine. Saying that has to be his real name because people on the internet call him that is exactly the same as saying his real name is Emperor Palpatine because that's what all my friends call him.

Indeed. I call him Emperor Sidious as well.

Future Esthar
05-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Who is Emperor Palpatine?

Sephiroth
05-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Who is Emperor Palpatine?

The Master of Darth Vader and antagonist of Star Wars?

Dysley and Ian McDiarmid (Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious):

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6961/emperordysley.png

Future Esthar
05-02-2010, 02:08 PM
It looks nothing like Palpatine.
Palpatine looks lmore like a scary monk if I remember him right.
And his face is white.
Unless his true form is revealed on recent Star Wars.(Didnīt watch them).

Sephiroth
05-02-2010, 02:11 PM
It looks nothing like Palpatine.
Palpatine looks lmore like a scary monk if I remember him right.
And his face is white.
Unless his true form is revealed on recent Star Wars.(Didnīt watch them).

It doesn't matter what you say because he obiously reminds many people of Palpatine and so he and his whole appearance is similiar to Palpatine's appearance.

And it is interesting how you can say Ian Mc Diarmid doesn't look like Palpatine as well, because Palpatine is Ian McDiarmid and this picture is a Star Wars picture.

Future Esthar
05-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I wasnīt talking about Ian McDiarmid.

I give you that.I hadnīt watched Star Wars for a long time.
Not even a fan.

Sephiroth
05-02-2010, 02:19 PM
There are many things why Dysley is similiar to the Emperor.

And Square likes to use Star Wars-things. Like "Wedge" and "Biggs" or "Nanaki" which is just an Anagramm of "Anakin".

Future Esthar
05-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Ian is kinda similar to what I remember of the emperor.The black cape I remember but not the face.I think it was not a human face.

Sephiroth
05-02-2010, 02:36 PM
You mean this face of the emperor, first shown in Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith when Mace Windu reflects the Emperor's Dark Lightning Bolt:

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/5009/emperors.jpg

Future Esthar
05-02-2010, 02:39 PM
I donīt remember the film but it looks ALOT like him.