PDA

View Full Version : >> Ricard or Gareth?..

black orb
04-27-2010, 06:58 PM
>>> Which one is the right name?
I just played the FFO version of this game and there it was called Gareth, but everyone else call it Ricard.. Im kind of confused..:luca:

Hot Shot
04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I've always known him as Ricard, but I could be wrong.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-27-2010, 09:54 PM
The correct name is Richard. FFOrigins went with "Gareth" because there's a six-character limit on names, which is too few to write Richard in Roman letters. The GBA port just shoved it in there anyway, resulting in "Ricard."

The Gareth thing is comparable to FFIV, where Gilbert's name was completely changed to "Edward." The Ricard thing is more like Chrono Trigger, where the five-character limit rendered the hero's name "Crono." Frioniel becoming "Firion" is kind of a combination of the two approaches.

MJN SEIFER
04-27-2010, 10:49 PM
When I read the title I thought "Who the HELL is Gareth?" I had no idea they changed Richard's name in Origins, since I never really finished it... (I should)

I personally think game designers shoot themselves in the foot with space limitation, I think they should give themselves more letters to avoid being forced to alter names of characters whatever else).

I also think Richard sounds better as it's what I am used to - also it creates a coincidence with one of the other characters, of course that coincidence is already lost in Origins what with that particular character's name being changed to "Leon".

black orb
04-30-2010, 01:25 AM
>>> So Edward`s real name was Gilbert, I didnt know that too :eek:..:luca:
Thanks for answering this..

*Laurelindo*
07-19-2010, 01:41 PM
The correct name is Richard. FFOrigins went with "Gareth" because there's a six-character limit on names, which is too few to write Richard in Roman letters. The GBA port just shoved it in there anyway, resulting in "Ricard."

The Gareth thing is comparable to FFIV, where Gilbert's name was completely changed to "Edward." The Ricard thing is more like Chrono Trigger, where the five-character limit rendered the hero's name "Crono." Frioniel becoming "Firion" is kind of a combination of the two approaches.In one of the FF4 versions they were able to squeeze in the name "Gilbert" but once you delete the name you suddenly don't have space for more than 6 letters anymore.

Obsidian
08-19-2010, 02:58 AM
On a side note, this still doesn't explain FFOrigins randomly changing Guy to Gus or Minwu to Mindu. I still think they were just going for "cooler" sounding names.