PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Font

Mo-Nercy
04-29-2010, 02:48 AM
Do you have a preferred font when you're typing up something? In Word, I use Verdana in size 10 for the bulk of my text. It looks nice. Not a lot of other fonts are readable at size 10.

Cuchulainn
04-29-2010, 02:52 AM
You're just starting threads for the sake of it now aren't you.

Mo-Nercy
04-29-2010, 02:54 AM
I wasn't aware that I was starting a lot of threads, but thanks for the contribution.

PuPu
04-29-2010, 02:57 AM
You're just starting threads for the sake of it now aren't you.

This sums up 99% of all General Chat threads.

Default font for posting, otherwise Arial.

I wasn't aware that I was starting a lot of threads

...neither was I. You've got like, only one other thread in on the first page of General Chat.

Cuchulainn
04-29-2010, 03:04 AM
I wasn't aware that I was starting a lot of threads, but thanks for the contribution.

Seriously though...I mean...font? You started a thread about what font people use? What are you hoping to get out of this exactly? If you're not conducting a survey or poll on fonts & their many many sizes for school or some work based study.....I don't honestly see where the interest lies. I just don't think you sat staring at the new thread title long enough.

PuPu
04-29-2010, 03:11 AM
It's General Chat, dude.

This place is essentially polluted with threads that are seemingly pointless, Mr. "Did you ever hit yourself in the nuts with your belt?"

Clo
04-29-2010, 03:15 AM
... can you make that thread? :jess:

G13
04-29-2010, 03:30 AM
He did. And it was glorious.

On topic: I use Centaur. Not sure why, I just like it.

rubah
04-29-2010, 03:33 AM
I usually use Calibri for everything for school. It hasn't had the new rubbed off it yet like Times New Roman or Arial

Jessweeee♪
04-29-2010, 04:02 AM
I also like Calibri.

Pheesh
04-29-2010, 04:03 AM
Same here, I use calibri.

Clo
04-29-2010, 04:03 AM
Anyway, I used Times New Roman. It's professional, and all I ever do is write essays. So, so many.

Bunny
04-29-2010, 04:05 AM

Seriously though...I mean...font? You started a thread about what font people use? What are you hoping to get out of this exactly? If you're not conducting a survey or poll on fonts & their many many sizes for school or some work based study.....I don't honestly see where the interest lies. I just don't think you sat staring at the new thread title long enough.

General Chat is used for exactly what it sounds like: general chat. This thread could be used for a variety of reasons, the least of which is introducing people to fonts they may have never heard of or a simple discussion on how fonts should and shouldn't be used. For instance:

I usually use Calibri for everything for school. It hasn't had the new rubbed off it yet like Times New Roman or Arial

My English teacher refuses to recognize Calibri as a decent font and I agree with him. I do not like the way it looks, either small or large, and it kinda messes up papers. I'd much rather use Times New Roman because it looks neater.

My favorite fonts are Tahoma and Verdana, but only when they are smaller. In general, I prefer smaller fonts (typically sized 10 or below; usually at about an 8. Larger fonts are pretty gross looking. I also avoid the calligraphy-type fonts that are only look decent when they are obnoxiously large and overburdening.

Hikki
04-29-2010, 04:15 AM
Helvetica...a favourite among many designers

rubah
04-29-2010, 04:22 AM
My English teacher refuses to recognize Calibri as a decent font and I agree with him. I do not like the way it looks, either small or large, and it kinda messes up papers. I'd much rather use Times New Roman because it looks neater.

My favorite fonts are Tahoma and Verdana, but only when they are smaller. In general, I prefer smaller fonts (typically sized 10 or below; usually at about an 8. Larger fonts are pretty gross looking. I also avoid the calligraphy-type fonts that are only look decent when they are obnoxiously large and overburdening.

/shrug

A lot of what I have to turn in isn't essay writing anyway, and there are lots of numbers, so calibri works well for that. Since most of it is spreadsheets, it would've just been arial anyway!

Lawr
04-29-2010, 04:26 AM
Most fonts that don't have serifs--T as opposed to T--look good at around the 9 pt. area.

9pt. and sans serif then you have the whole thread. Unless we're talking about essays and research papers!

fire_of_avalon
04-29-2010, 04:27 AM
I like Garamond and Palotino Linotype

Rye
04-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Keep it nice, guys.

I love Calibri for powerpoint presentations.

Arial Narrow is my go to font for instant messaging.

Also, Helvetica, as Hikki mentioned, is great, though I prefer Georgia. Georgia is probably one of my favorites.

http://webatlantis.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/georgia-font.jpg

I've been researching fonts for a tattoo I'm planning, and it's been difficult. I need something as a median between handwritten and something like Georgia. I will not get a tattoo until I find the most perfect font. I can't make it in my own handwriting because the way I hold my pencil is a step up in elegance from holding a crayon in my fist, so my writing is really ugly. :{

Loony BoB
04-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Arial for almost everything. Verdana for the rest.

Shlup
04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
I like Verdana for the same reason as Mo.

Cuchulainn
04-29-2010, 03:27 PM
It's General Chat, dude.

This place is essentially polluted with threads that are seemingly pointless, Mr. "Did you ever hit yourself in the nuts with your belt?"

Good grief, you really do have a Hardon for me PuPu don't you. My post had a scientific purpose, to see if anyone was as thick as me. The added bonus was to have a giggle. Both points were fulfilled.

Everything I say here is only semi-serious. If you people don't know that by now I may just keep on regardless slowly angering everyone 1 by smurfing 1. :D

I've been researching fonts for a tattoo I'm planning, and it's been difficult. I need something as a median between handwritten and something like Georgia. I will not get a tattoo until I find the most perfect font. I can't make it in my own handwriting because the way I hold my pencil is a step up in elegance from holding a crayon in my fist, so my writing is really ugly. :{

[/SIZE]

Tattoo Fonts - hundreds of tattoo writing styles. Cool fonts! (http://www.tattoofonts.net/)

Rantz
04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Cuch, just because you're not interested in a topic doesn't mean it can't have value to other people. You're always free not to post. Now cut the off-topic talk.

I love typography, and picking out suitable fonts for design productions is lovely, especially if it is to be printed. In reports I write for school I have to follow templates which specify Arial of different sizes for headings, and Garamond for normal text.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/729269/Images/garamond.gif

is a fantastic font that I think looks great and it has so many applications. I'd much rather use Helvetica than Arial, or even better,

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/729269/Images/helvetica-neue.jpg

which is one of my personal favourites because it can look great on pretty much anything. But Arial is the more convenient alternative, of course, because of how widespread it is.

Cuchulainn
04-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Cuch, just because you're not interested in a topic doesn't mean it can't have value to other people. You're always free not to post. Now cut the off-topic talk.

Why's it always YOU shoutring at me? I hate/respect you.

PuPu
04-29-2010, 08:12 PM
I wish EoFF had a font that made weird pictures and symbols.

Good grief, you really do have a Hardon for me PuPu don't you.

>he acts surprised at the fact that I disagree with people that are wrong

Everything I say here is only semi-serious. >attempt to save face

Seriously though

If you people don't know that by now I may just keep on regardless slowly angering everyone 1 by smurfing 1. :D>implying that people actually get angered by words on the interwebs

EDIT: Ugh not used to doing the whole mognet thing and forgot. If Cuch makes another reply, I'll remember next time >_>

Rye
04-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Seriously, PuPu? I just talked to you about this. Cut it out. Take it to the mognet messages.

Chloe.
04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
I use Times New Roman for my Health and Social Care coursework, but that's only because my teacher tells us that we have to so that she is able to read it. I do think that it looks very neat and professional though. Other than that I use fonts like Arial or Verdana.

Momiji
04-29-2010, 08:25 PM
On forums, I just use the default, unless I'm using text in a signature. In that case it's Times New Roman in italics, of various colors.

On MSN I use Calibri, and on AIM I use Comic Sa-- *is shot*

Goldenboko
04-29-2010, 11:33 PM
... can you make that thread? :jess:

Not "Can you make that?" but, "When did you make that?". If you could think up the question, it's been asked in GC.

Also, good ol' Times New Roman ftw.

Yar
04-29-2010, 11:37 PM
I think Times New Roman is a disgusting looking font. My eyes are scarred by its serifs.

Goldenboko
04-29-2010, 11:40 PM
I think you're a disgusting looking font. Take that.

Yar
04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
:(

Mo-Nercy
04-30-2010, 12:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/monercy/serif.jpg

~*~Celes~*~
04-30-2010, 12:37 AM
I like fonts :jess: My favorite is this one because it's fun! Sometimes this one too, it's usually what I use for MSN in fact.

Loony BoB
04-30-2010, 10:45 AM
I find Times New Roman and other serif fonts are better for reading on paper, while sans serif fonts are better for reading online.

Zeldy
04-30-2010, 08:58 PM
All my essays are done with Calibri, size 11 perhaps, I can't really remember I click it without thinking. I hate how Microsoft word gives you massive margins at the top, bottom and sides of the paper, I always make them much much smaller also. Looks better.

for 'cute' texts, I like small verdana ^_^~