PDA

View Full Version : 3d visuals

rubah
04-29-2010, 05:13 AM
okay, three dee, guys

we use the right hand rule here (for you non maths/physics people, that means hold your right arm straight out to the right inline with your shoulders for the x direction, straight forward in front of your for y, and straight up above you for z. )

What do you consider length, width, height, depth to be, in terms of x, y, and z? (sideways, forward, and up)

height is z. I tend to think of depth as y before z. length is x, but can also be y. WHY IS WIDTH X, TOO?!

~*~Theorization~*~
I guess length is more of a 2d term, so when you have an object that is significantly longer than it is wide/thick, then you can approximate it as an infinitely long object, and then as a 2d object, so you only need length and either width or height.

Okay, so height = up, depth = forward, width = x.

Mo-Nercy
04-29-2010, 05:24 AM
My internal monologue:

z is definitely height.
y can't be width.
x can be width or length, but definitely not depth.
Therefore, y is depth. (not actually proof, I know)
and x is whatever I want it to be.

First thought that jumped into my head for x was width though.

Rye
04-29-2010, 05:30 AM
To me, x is width, y is height, and z is forward. The way my mind puts it together, is a graph, with x and y axes, but then three-dimensional, with a Z taking up the space inside. I don't know why, that's just the way my mind imagines it.

rubah
04-29-2010, 05:54 AM
Well, a variant of that is pretty common, Rye. To follow the right hand rule (which is important in mechanics, physics, and 3d cal), your x would have to go to the left.

(in our physics tests, if you stood at the bottom of the amphitheater, you could see all these students holding out their right hands, but some are holding their pencils in their right hands, and try to use their left, then scratch their heads wondering what's wrong)

basically this was just an arbitrary choice that was made so that things like magnetism making electrical current, forces away from a center of gravity making a moment, etc consistent!

oddler
04-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Right is the X axis, Up is the Y axis, Forward is the Z axis.
Right is length or width, Up is height, Forward is depth.

To me, length and width are just ways to label differing sides of a rectangular object.

Raistlin
04-29-2010, 04:41 PM
I consider X width, Y height, and Z depth. Y is height because of years of using 2D graphs in grade school.

qwertysaur
04-29-2010, 05:01 PM
z=f(x,y) :p
What do you do when you want to graph with 4 dimensions?
w = f(x, y, z)

Aerith's Knight
04-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Depends.

In general spatial terms, I would say z = height, y = width and x = length.

But in electrodynamics, z = height, x = width and y = length.

In fluid dynamics, z = flow direction, y = height and x = width.

And on and on and on...

black orb
04-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Right is the X axis, Up is the Y axis, Forward is the Z axis.
>>> That..:luca:

Goldenboko
04-30-2010, 02:45 AM
Bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:. Righthand rule will always tell me where current and magnetic field are going. Nothing else. :colbert: