PDA

View Full Version : Playing With Helium!

Rad Bromance
04-30-2010, 03:12 AM
Have you ever played with helium and made yourself sound all funny? :D

I was doing this today at work but I accidentally sucked in too much out of the balloon apparently (until today I didn't know this was possible) and almost fainted. For the next three or so hours I was dizzy, had a massive headache and couldn't hear or see correctly. I promptly went into hypochondriac mode and started looking up the dangers of helium via google and getting scared that I'd permanently damaged my brain, etc. Oh man, I'm starting to feel dizzy again...I'm scared. :cry:

So umm, yeah, do you play with helium? If so, just say no! :greenie:

black orb
04-30-2010, 03:20 AM
>>> I have seen so many people play with helium that I doubt is dangerous, personally i have never tried it..:luca:

I Took the Red Pill
04-30-2010, 03:49 AM
>>> I have seen so many people play with helium that I doubt is dangerous, personally i have never tried it..:luca:Pretty sure it is actually somewhat dangerous.

That being said, yeah, it's a lot of fun. I specifically remember a birthday party at a friend's house when I was ~10 years old and taking pulls from the helium tank his parents had bought for the balloons after they'd gone to sleep. Ah, sweet yesterday.

Citizen Bleys
04-30-2010, 03:57 AM
There are recordings of me singing Gilbert & Sullivan show tunes on helium floating around the Internet.

I will not provide them, but I bet Lynx has them. Bastard saves everything dumb I ever do.

Meat Puppet
04-30-2010, 04:44 AM
Leverage. Pretty good strategy.

Fujiko
04-30-2010, 05:15 AM
I think you're gonna be just fine, don't worry. What helium does is take away your oxygen each time you inhale the helium, until eventually you'll pass out from lack of oxygen from blood to lungs, brain etc (in the scenario you're still breathing it in). Just don't inhale too much next time and you won't be so dizzy afterwards! It's usually all about the oxygen levels when it comes to inhaling helium, i.e. the more helium, the less oxygen to esp your brain. That's what leads to dizziness and in some cases people fainting.

I've personally never tried inhaling helium, though I'd like to someday! To get that funny, high-pitched voice! :D

*Devore*
04-30-2010, 12:28 PM
I have, it really funny. Especially when you have a friend with a deep voice, which suddenly turns into a high pitched squeek. Apart from Neon, its the most fun you can have with an inert gas.

Aerith's Knight
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Helium, Nitrogen, etc etc.

It's surprising how much fun you can have in a well-funded physics lab.

Rodarian
04-30-2010, 06:20 PM
I wish i played with helium.. Instead I play with methane that comes out south me....:eep:

Clo
04-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Oh, that's dangerous! I wouldn't do that again. I played with it once when I was a teenager, and it gave me the biggest headache -- worse than any hangover. That's clearly a sign you should not be doing this.

Hollycat
04-30-2010, 07:46 PM
I worked at a church fair and made myself sick on helium trying to ammuse the children.
I saw on tv about a couple who crawled into a helium filled giant basket ball and died

Jings
04-30-2010, 08:02 PM
:Breathes air from balloon: "Hello, I -- oh, it's just air."

That's two Simpsons references from me today. I'll stop.

Namelessfengir
05-01-2010, 01:20 AM
use sulfahexafloride does the opposite you got to bend over a few times to get it out though

Aerith's Knight
05-01-2010, 01:22 AM
You know what's also fun?

To take a cigarette, pull out some of the tobacco, put a little magnesium in there, put the tobacco back (make sure it's not at the top or it might be troubling when lighting it) and watch the person get scared out of smoking when he/she takes the second or third drag. xD

Citizen Bleys
05-01-2010, 03:30 AM
You know what's also fun?

To take a cigarette, pull out some of the tobacco, put a little magnesium in there, put the tobacco back (make sure it's not at the top or it might be troubling when lighting it) and watch the person get scared out of smoking when he/she takes the second or third drag. xD

Perish, knave.

Meat Puppet
05-01-2010, 10:19 AM
why not just swiftly replace their cigar with a stick of dynamite

Citizen Bleys
05-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Because that's a federal offense carrying a minimum penalty of 3-5 years in a maximum security federal institution, such as Revenue Canada?

Meat Puppet
05-02-2010, 12:40 AM
why not just steal the guard’s keychain while he’s sleeping