PDA

View Full Version : "dont isn't even a word"

Zeldy
04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Embarrassingly, attempting to correct someone's grammar on Facebook by saying "don't is 'do not' you meant dont'" for other people to then say "what? dont isn't even a word" made me realize that I had made up my own word. In my head, "don't" reads as "do not", and so it isn't always applicable or make sense in some sentences! but how embarrassing!

I blame my English Literature teacher last year who beat into us how we should never abbreviate in English - as in English you're marked on your use of language so to use abbreviations like "won't", "isn't" and "i'd" to think of some examples was a complete no-no. This is how 'dont' came about, as "don't" = DO NOT.

Have you ever made up a word and been so adamant it exists? I blame my teacher! How embarrassing though, to try to correct someone and say something wrong yourself..

Loony BoB
04-30-2010, 12:51 PM
I once "made up" the word investigatory and it turns out it was a word and I'd used it accurately. Go figure.

I also prefer writing scarey to scary. I don't know why. It just sits better with me!

No.78
04-30-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm still in denial about "alot". "Alot" SHOULD BE A WORD.

Cuchulainn
04-30-2010, 02:58 PM

it will be soon enough joining it's sister 'aplenty'. Use aplenty in the meantime.

Mo-Nercy
04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
When I was a kid, it took me a long time before it finally got through to me that the word was 'separate' not 'seperate'.

Unbreakable Will
04-30-2010, 03:16 PM
:colbert:

Shiny
04-30-2010, 03:25 PM
I really dislike how eventhough, alot, and, atleast aren't words.

Chris
04-30-2010, 03:30 PM
"Definatley" or "Definatly". Drives me insane. :p

BarelySeeAtAll
04-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Hating the whole alot thing, everyone types it and it drives me insane because

IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN

Just saying.

Mo-Nercy, remember separate has "a rat" in it ;D my Graphic Products taught us that. Odd.

Never make up words. Stay true to the dictionary and Windows Word. Always.

Captain Maxx Power
04-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Please, dont is a perfectly cromulent word.

Jings
04-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Please, dont is a perfectly cromulent word.

You have embiggened this thread, good sir.

Rantz
04-30-2010, 05:53 PM
I've never constricated a word in my life.

Ouch!
04-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Many of these examples have already undergone semantic bleaching (the process by which the original meanings are no longer applied to the term in certain contexts) and some are already beginning to undergo morphological reduction. Phonetic erosion is next, and then eventually obligatorification. Soon alot and "a lot" will be interchangeable. The former may completely eclipse the use of the latter eventually. Grammaticalisation is a natural linguistic process.

EMBRACE CHANGE.

BarelySeeAtAll
04-30-2010, 05:59 PM
EMBRACE CHANGE.

Here's a new word for you:

NO :D

Raistlin
04-30-2010, 06:22 PM
You all are horrible, horrible people. "Alot," "alright," and "definately" ARE NOT WORDS AND SHOULD NEVER BE WORDS.

Jessweeee♪
04-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Would it really be the end of the world if they were?

NorthernChaosGod
04-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Many of these examples have already undergone semantic bleaching (the process by which the original meanings are no longer applied to the term in certain contexts) and some are already beginning to undergo morphological reduction. Phonetic erosion is next, and then eventually obligatorification. Soon alot and "a lot" will be interchangeable. The former may completely eclipse the use of the latter eventually. Grammaticalisation is a natural linguistic process.

EMBRACE CHANGE.

Language should never evolve through ignorance. :colbert:

black orb
04-30-2010, 06:46 PM
>>> I wonder who invented all these grammatical rules..:luca:

Shoeberto
04-30-2010, 06:49 PM
I invented the word orbgorbular, but it was mostly just to entertain a friend of mine while he was tripping on robotussin.

(I sorta wish I was making this up)

Jings
04-30-2010, 06:52 PM
What's with the word "aluminum" anyway? Come join us, America, in the civilized world of "aluminium."

Jessweeee♪
04-30-2010, 06:52 PM

EMBRACE CHANGE.

We likely wouldn't be speaking English if that were the case xD

Hollycat
04-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Embarrassingly, attempting to correct someone's grammar on Facebook by saying "don't is 'do not' you meant dont'" for other people to then say "what? dont isn't even a word" made me realize that I had made up my own word. In my head, "don't" reads as "do not", and so it isn't always applicable or make sense in some sentences! but how embarrassing!

I blame my English Literature teacher last year who beat into us how we should never abbreviate in English - as in English you're marked on your use of language so to use abbreviations like "won't", "isn't" and "i'd" to think of some examples was a complete no-no. This is how 'dont' came about, as "don't" = DO NOT.

Have you ever made up a word and been so adamant it exists? I blame my teacher! How embarrassing though, to try to correct someone and say something wrong yourself..

wth, dont is a word. its in the dictionary, whoever told you it isnt a word is a fool, its a simple and widely used contracture of do not

Ouch!
04-30-2010, 08:07 PM

EMBRACE CHANGE.

Language has always evolved in this manner.

>>> I wonder who invented all these grammatical rules..:luca:
Nobody invented them. They were observed in action over long periods of time.

Madame Adequate
04-30-2010, 08:14 PM
For many, many years I was absolutely adamant that the word was "glavanized" not "galvanized".

I also invented the word "fetulent" once. It is a compound of fetid and feculent.

Zeldy
04-30-2010, 08:25 PM

wth, dont is a word. its in the dictionary, whoever told you it isnt a word is a fool, its a simple and widely used contracture of do not

do not = don't. dont has no apostrophe. I searched it ... it actually doesn't exist.

Why's everyone crying over "alot"? you can say "a lot".

Shoeberto
04-30-2010, 08:32 PM
do not = don't. dont has no apostrophe. I searched it ... it actually doesn't exist.

Out of curiosity, I googled "dont," and found this (http://dontdatehimgirl.com/home/) which made me laugh a lot.

NorthernChaosGod
04-30-2010, 08:36 PM

EMBRACE CHANGE.

Language has always evolved in this manner.

I bet you think someone can be nauseous instead of nauseated then. :colbert:

Unbreakable Will
04-30-2010, 09:32 PM
You all are horrible, horrible people. "Alot," "alright," and "definately" ARE NOT WORDS AND SHOULD NEVER BE WORDS.
Stick in the mud. :doublecolbert:

Raistlin
04-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Spelling historically evolved in the absence of readily available, standardized dictionaries. There's modernly less and less excuse for being wrong. You supporters of ignorance probably don't have a problem with people saying they "could care less" or misusing of semi-colons either. Both of which should be capital crimes.

I just remembered one time in high school when I thought "debauchel" (or something similarly nonexistent) was a word; I was thinking of "debacle" and for some reason I was confusing it with the spelling of "debauchery."

Pheesh
04-30-2010, 10:29 PM
I always hated that people would try to tell me the rule "I before E, except after C", and in the process completely ignore the words 'weird' and 'neighbour'.

Jessweeee♪
04-30-2010, 10:33 PM
There are as many exceptions to the rule as there are examples :|

Tavrobel
04-30-2010, 11:50 PM
I always hated that people would try to tell me the rule "I before E, except after C", and in the process completely ignore the words 'weird' and 'neighbour'.

Because they'll forget the second half of the phrase, which continues: "and when sounding like 'A' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'."

People are dumb, and languages changes. Whether you believe in strict adherence to grammar or you like texting and have pay-by-the-letter plan, it will happen.

NeoCracker
05-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Both of which should be capital crimes.

I don't know if this joke was intentional or not, but regardless...

XD

blackmage_nuke
05-01-2010, 01:04 AM
I dislike the spelling of "its" to refer to the possesive. Everything else, eg: Harry's dog, the car's motor, uses apostrophe s, however "it's" only means it is, it doesnt refer to the posesion of "it". English is stupid and inconsistent.

and if "Web 2.0" can be a word then so can "alot"

Jiro
05-01-2010, 02:10 AM
I make up my own words sometimes, but I still feel you should use real words.

Fujiko
05-01-2010, 03:38 PM
I blame my English Literature teacher last year who beat into us how we should never abbreviate in English - as in English you're marked on your use of language so to use abbreviations like "won't", "isn't" and "i'd" to think of some examples was a complete no-no.

That was always the case with my English teachers as well; abbreviations were definitely one big no-no. :|

"Definatley" or "Definatly". Drives me insane. :p

Definitely. :p

Psychotic
05-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Language changes and evolves, but "alot" just looks smurfing ugly so I hope it stays the same.

Also, paging Goldenboko to this thread for his use of the word "then" instead of "than"!

Mo-Nercy
05-01-2010, 05:50 PM
I also invented the word "fetulent" once. It is a compound of fetid and feculent.
I like to call people "agnorant" if they're displaying a combination of both ignorance and arrogance.

No.78
05-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Language is always changing. I'm laughing at the rage towards these "new" words like they're going to destroy a perfect language. Language isn't perfect and it never was. There's nothing to corrupt!

Take it like a man! NNGH

rubah
05-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm curious what context you used that in, Zeldy. How can "do not" not make sense in any "don't" context @_@;;

I made up three words for an AP Language paper one time. There should be a word for "one who lacerates", imo.

My bfff Megan, however, once asked me how you spelled "woulnt".

She said this very clearly, so I was confused by what she meant.
"Do you mean won't?"

"nonono, woulnt. Not won't."

"ummmmmm. Can you use it in a sentence?"

"I woulnt do it."

"Yeah, that's won't."

"No! it can't be!"

"no, really, it is."

"OMG, you're right! I think the reason I was confused is because [ex-friend] always would say "I want it, I want it", and that would sound like "I won't it, I won't it.", so I thought "woulnt" is what "won't" should be."

Pheesh
05-02-2010, 09:27 AM

Because they'll forget the second half of the phrase, which continues: "and when sounding like 'A' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'."

People are dumb, and languages changes. Whether you believe in strict adherence to grammar or you like texting and have pay-by-the-letter plan, it will happen.

Still doesn't explain 'weird'.

Aerith's Knight
05-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Herassment.

Yes, I went there.

missaira
05-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I like to call people "agnorant" if they're displaying a combination of both ignorance and arrogance.

That's awesome :)

The trainee kid at my work once tried telling us that "untrustable" was a word. We told him it was unpossible. Same kid also tried convincing us that coins have corners.

NorthernChaosGod
05-02-2010, 08:32 PM

That's awesome :)

The trainee kid at my work once tried telling us that "untrustable" was a word. We told him it was unpossible. Same kid also tried convincing us that coins have corners.

Technically, coins do. The edge of the coin meeting the face of the coin would be considered a corner.

Tavrobel
05-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Still doesn't explain 'weird'.

The exception that proves the rule.

missaira
05-03-2010, 06:50 AM

Technically, coins do. The edge of the coin meeting the face of the coin would be considered a corner.

Yeah, that's what we thought he meant! Then explained it that way to him, and he was like, "Nah, that's the edge. I'm talking about, you know, the actual corner."

Jings
05-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Maybe he was British. Some British coins have corners. :p

Meat Puppet
05-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Or Australian.

Pheesh
05-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Long live the 50 cent piece.

missaira
05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm in Australia. After our first attempt at explanation got shot down, we assumed he meant the 50c coin. Nope. He was talking about a $2 coin, apparently.

Go figure.

Peegee
05-04-2010, 03:52 PM
I didn't make this nor invent the word - my brother did, and his friend made the poster -

http://i44.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/xegbnm.jpg

warning: has a swear-word in it.

modified the swear word yay

Imperfectionist
05-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I keep trying to make eveyone say shoop. As in, the singular for sheep. That'd be awesome, and it makes sense too if you think of it like 'one goose, many geese' then it's only logical to have 'one shoop, many sheep'.

And it's fun to say :p

Pheesh
05-04-2010, 07:41 PM
My friend and I had a running joke that Horsi should be the plural for Horse. We used it as a joke in a script once...

NorthernChaosGod
05-04-2010, 08:31 PM

Yeah, that's what we thought he meant! Then explained it that way to him, and he was like, "Nah, that's the edge. I'm talking about, you know, the actual corner."

Oh, that guy is fucked then.

NeoCracker
05-05-2010, 04:53 AM
I keep trying to make eveyone say shoop. As in, the singular for sheep. That'd be awesome, and it makes sense too if you think of it like 'one goose, many geese' then it's only logical to have 'one shoop, many sheep'.

That would just make This song seem very strange. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGGZTZ-3pM) :confused:

Breine
05-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I make up my own words sometimes, but I still feel you should use real words.

Imperfectionist
05-05-2010, 01:57 PM

That would just make This song seem very awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGGZTZ-3pM) :confused:

Fixed :D