PDA

View Full Version : Pain thresholds.

Zeldy
05-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Do you consider yourself as having a pain threshold? or are you a complete and utter weakling in the face of pain?

I would like to think of myself as having a high pain threshold, but I'm not sure I do. I have a lot of piercings (my count is now 10. TEN!) and so everyone thinks that means I "love" pain. No - every single one of them has frigging HURT. I just know I'll like the outcome and I'm willing to withstand pain in order to gain a piercing. I'm yet to try tattoos, but I'm 18 soon >:}

For those who are in the know in piercing terminology, i have: the naval, helix, tragus, anti-tragus, rook, 3xlobe, nose and my latest is the conch.

~~

Jessweeee♪
05-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Pain hurts ;_;

No.78
05-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Pain hurts ;_;

QFT

I'm also really bad with hunger pain. If I get hungry I will not shut up about it.

Chris
05-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Getting a piercing never really bothered me. It's done relatively fast, and it's over too soon for for pain to really set in.

I suppose I can take a great deal of pain. Not gonna sit here and claim that I'm perfect or anything like that, but that's the way it is, and the way it (hopefully) stays. :p

Zeldy
05-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Getting a piercing never really bothered me. It's done relatively fast, and it's over too soon for for pain to really set in.

This I agree with. Except certain piercings which linger. Examples, my rook and inner-conch (which I've had to go and take paracetamol for!). I squealed like a baby getting the rook.

Aurey
05-01-2010, 11:07 PM
I suppose I can take a great deal of pain. Not gonna sit here and claim that I'm perfect or anything like that, but that's the way it is, and the way it (hopefully) stays. :p

Pretty much the same for me too! I can honestly only remember two or so instances of enduring horrid pain, and I think I took it relatively well.

kotora
05-02-2010, 12:01 AM
pain is weakness leaving the body, and being weak sucks balls. Plus I think it's hot to get slapped or hit by a woman.

~*~Celes~*~
05-02-2010, 12:05 AM
I don't take pain to well sometimes, but there are times I can take it. *shrug*

Jessweeee♪
05-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Out of curiosity I looked all of those up. Someday you are not going to have ears, Zeldy!

Jings
05-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Ever wake up in the middle of the night with leg cramp? It's like "OMFG someone shot me in my sleep!!" D: And then proceed to grab onto the headboard like it's some kind of life preserver, like it stands between you and certain death.

Or maybe that's just me and I have a low pain threshold.

Quindiana Jones
05-02-2010, 12:52 AM
It depends. If the pain happens whilst I'm doing something, I'll just ignore it. If necessary, I can simply ignore quite high levels of pain. I don't view pain as something to run away screaming from, it merely tells me that something is happening. If it hurts enough to be threatening, I trust my body to react automatically and get whatever is hurting somewhere safe.

Having said that, if I just stub my toe or something else that happens with no future goal in mind, I'll make a big fuss. Possibly because I find it funny, but I'm not really sure. I rarely understand my reasons for doing things.

BarelySeeAtAll
05-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Loved getting my other ear piercings :p the gasp afterwards is refreshing. I suppose not until you're tied up and getting a proper lashing (that wasn't meant to sound quite so kinky) do you realise whether you can handle pain or not.

Personally though, I'm pretty good with sharp pain (i.e. say, you fall into/onto glass and all that and you're bleeding and it's all messy) but I hate blunt pain, such as bruises and things. Something about that dullness makes me whine. A lot.

NorthernChaosGod
05-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I've been beat with plenty of blunt objects and took a good blast of pepperspray in the face. I'm really no stranger to pain, we're kind of homies.

Brunettepudding
05-02-2010, 02:44 AM
I'm good with pain. I've had an industrial piercing twice, fallen out of an extremely tall tree, had a door slammed on my hand repeatedly, fallen out of a truck going 70 mph, broken my tailbone numerous times, had the complete and total :bou::bou::bou::bou: beaten out of me quite a few times, used to get belt whipped until I was 11, and broken my arm and middle finger twice.

There are more, but I'm too lazy to type them out.

Mirage
05-02-2010, 02:56 AM
I easily whine when I'm feeling uncomfortable, but i can handle quite a bit of pain if I have to

fire_of_avalon
05-02-2010, 03:19 AM
The worst pain I've ever felt in my life ... well there's a tie. 1) Charley horses and 2) Migraines. I can survive both so does that mean I'm awesome?

Charley horses though, man. I make faces and pace and growl when I have those. And migraines just make me feel ill. The only kind of pain i really hate, though, is any kind of internal tummy pain. I get really upset and frustrated with tummy pains.

WarZidane
05-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Pretty dependant on the situation.
I easily let out some slight groan of pain when i accidentally smash my toe against something for the umpteenth time, and stomach ache is a real killer, but i kept surprisingly quiet when a doctor was cutting my big toe's nail off with bad anesthetics. I think. :p

Brennan
05-02-2010, 03:42 AM
I got a high pain threshold, walking barefoot on asphalt in the middle of a hot-July day doesn't faze me. I feel the pain, but it's really just more of a bother.

Madame Adequate
05-02-2010, 04:17 AM
I have a low pain threshold, in that I feel it very easily, but unless it's extreme I have a pretty high tolerence for it, with a couple exceptions. Specifically, if I bite my tongue or cheek I simply cannot deal with it. I completely lose my :bou::bou::bou::bou: and I have to beat the hell out of some inanimate object to calm down. Second is knee pain. If I get a knee joint pain I can't handle it at all, I'm crippled until it's better.

Most of the time I don't bother fighting through stuff because there's no gain to doing so and I like sympathy so I piss and moan when in pain, but if needed I can overcome most pain one is likely to feel in regular life. Aside from the above exceptions if something does take me out, it's more likely to be an accompanying sympton. I can deal with headaches but I'm screwed very hard by any sort of nausea or dizziness, for example.

Raistlin
05-02-2010, 05:29 AM
I don't think I have an unusual pain threshold, but my tolerance for withstanding pain is pretty decent. I tend to be very dismissive of my own pain, which has more than once when I was younger resulted in me getting hurt even more.

Captain Maxx Power
05-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I've had a kidney stone for a number of years. Before I was diagnosed with it I would have chronic pain all day without any sort of medical painkillers to help me. To give you a comparison having a kidney stone has been compared to giving birth in terms of the pain caused. So yeah, during my life I've been through a total of three years worth of giving birth. Needless to say my pain threshold is high.

Vincent Valentine
05-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Any pain threshold I possess is pretty much completely non-existent.

I know this from far too much personal experience.

Rebellious Eagle
05-02-2010, 03:35 PM
I easily whine when I'm feeling uncomfortable, but i can handle quite a bit of pain if I have to

This. I somehow manage to injure myself a lot but I can handle pain better than I thought I could. The only kind of pain I can't handle very well are headaches, though. Those things are the worst. D:

Chloe.
05-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I hate pain, I can't really handle much of it. D:

Clo
05-02-2010, 06:04 PM
The worst pain for me was when I had my wisdom teeth taken out; I had a bad reaction.

And cramps. x_x

Iceglow
05-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Pain is a good thing, it lets you know you're alive and that is always helpful. I personally can stand quite a lot of pain but I hate having to do so. It is always better to avoid the pain when I can rather than withstand it. When I was in Egypt I cut my foot on the coral reef at the beach, it got infected and was quite painful. I visited the clinic at my hotel and the doctor there decided he needed to remove a lot of the skin from the sole of my foot around the cut to clean it properly, squeeze the infection out and then to cover it in anti-biotic/anti-bacterial creams. It was a relatively painful and uncomfortable proceedure especially considering how sensitive the area was (the arch of my foot if you must know) however it was well worth it because it made the infection clear up with 24hrs which meant I was able to go back in to the sea and the pool the next afternoon.

No.78
05-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Ever wake up in the middle of the night with leg cramp? It's like "OMFG someone shot me in my sleep!!" D: And then proceed to grab onto the headboard like it's some kind of life preserver, like it stands between you and certain death.

NO I GET THIS TOO.

Leg cramp feels like you're dying. It actually does.

Brunettepudding
05-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Whoever mentioned a charlie horse, I got you.

Those things hurt like a mooother.

rubah
05-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Apparently, early this morning at Penguicon, people were dunking their hands in buckets of ice water to see how long they could stand it!

Madame Adequate
05-02-2010, 11:01 PM

NO I GET THIS TOO.

Leg cramp feels like you're dying. It actually does.

Oh, christ, yes. I forgot about this, add it to Things MILF Cannot Handle. :(

Quindiana Jones
05-03-2010, 12:45 AM
There's something called Penguicon?

rubah
05-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Penguicon Science Fiction and Open Source Convention (http://www.penguicon.org/)

missaira
05-03-2010, 02:36 AM
I hate pain :( My top ten list of owwies include:

1. Uterus cramps
2. Migraines
3. The sunburn I suffered while on my Schoolies week in the Whitsundays
4. The time I went over the handlebars and snapped my front tooth
5. The time Mum tried to streak my hair at home
6. Breaking a fingernail (don't laugh. When they're as long as mine, it freaking canes.)
7. General stomach aches that won't go away no matter what you do
8. Being dumped at the beach and getting salt water up your nose and down your throat and sand all in your eyes and ears
9. Waxing
10. Sinus blockages

Brennan
05-03-2010, 05:25 AM
I just remembered that sharp pains (getting a paper cut, cut with a knife, that weird sensation when hitting your head hard on the floor etc) makes me go "Ow" and it hurts for a second, even if it's tolerable.

Shlup
05-03-2010, 05:37 AM
I don't think I have a very high threshold for pain, though I also have no desire to find out. When I go into labor there will be drugs, dammit. Other than that I do my best to avoid pain.

Zeldy
05-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Out of curiosity I looked all of those up. Someday you are not going to have ears, Zeldy!

They're spread over both ears, but good isn't it! :jess:

Oh my. I never knew other people got leg cramps too, they are nasty!

Loony BoB
05-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I can generally "get through" pain. I don't know about a threshold as, really, I can't compare myself to other people as I don't know if they experience it differently or anything. The worst pain I've experienced would probably be testicular torsion. I've been run over before which involved the muscle and bones being literally ground/ripped away from my leg under a tyre, and I've been punched in the balls, too. But neither are on par with testicular torsion, which at it's extremes is just... urgh. So bad.

I tend to just get rather introverted and focused when experiencing pain. And, naturally, a little bit aggressive. I do not enjoy pain on any level.

EDIT: You never knew other people get leg cramps? xD Do you mean you genuinely thought you were the only one? Hahaha. Oh Zeldy. *hug* Yes, I've had leg cramps, too. Toe cramp is worse - you know, when your toe looks like it's been disconnected? Or maybe my toes genuinely do disconnect. =| Hmm. I wonder. Either way, it sort of flicks up and stays stiffened there (that wasn't supposed to sound dirty >_>; eh heh) and causes mucho pain. You can't walk until it finally relaxes. That's probably in the top five pain experiences I can think of, actually.

Rodarian
05-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I can with stand biting.. Namely cause I have fetish for flesh...:zombie:

But I have low tolerance for tickling... The moment that happens , I start to thrash around like a Thresher shark!!

one_winged_angel
05-03-2010, 06:12 PM
I think typically I deal with pain fairly well. One of the most painful things I did (Or had done to me, I guess) was some one ploughing into the side of my motorbike; really messed up my left leg, but instead of raging or screaming I just sort of went into this completely mellow state. I just sat there thinking "Hell, I bet that looked freaking awesome." - I don't know if that's dealing with pain well or not.

*Words*

I never really found toe cramp to be that bad, though for me it usually subsides within a couple of seconds so I guess I just don't get it as bad or something.

Jessweeee♪
05-03-2010, 06:23 PM
I can with stand biting.. Namely cause I have fetish for flesh...:zombie:

But I have low tolerance for tickling... The moment that happens , I start to thrash around like a Thresher shark!!

I have injured both myself and the tickler in these situations :(

Loony BoB
05-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I think typically I deal with pain fairly well. One of the most painful things I did (Or had done to me, I guess) was some one ploughing into the side of my motorbike; really messed up my left leg, but instead of raging or screaming I just sort of went into this completely mellow state. I just sat there thinking "Hell, I bet that looked freaking awesome." - I don't know if that's dealing with pain well or not.

*Words*

I never really found toe cramp to be that bad, though for me it usually subsides within a couple of seconds so I guess I just don't get it as bad or something.
Mine once stuck for about five minutes, it was pretty crap. Some of them aren't that bad, but sometimes it's just horrible.

Jings
05-03-2010, 08:25 PM
My little cousin planted his foot right between my legs earlier today. Funny how it had to happen for me to remember the worst pain of all time!

qwertysaur
05-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Pain is your bodies way of saying "Stop doing that! It's Bad!"

Doesn't stop it from being annoying though :p