PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Nintendo DS game

Taquadris
05-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Alright people, tell me, what's your favorite Nintendo DS game? I want something new to play and I've played a lot already. Some I own and love are: Disgaea, Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. These are just some I can think off the top of my head and they are all great.

Just tell me what your favorite DS game and why.

Sephiroth
05-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Chrono Trigger.

Why? Because it is one of the best RPGs ever. I simply love everything about Chrono Trigger.

Clo
05-02-2010, 01:54 AM
OBJECTION.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

VeloZer0
05-02-2010, 03:35 AM
Favorite, hm...
I'm going to be boring and go with Final Fantasy IV.

If I have to chose a game that isn't a remake/port I am going to go with Mega Man ZX.

Vermachtnis
05-02-2010, 03:50 AM
HeartGold or Strange Journey.

Agent Proto
05-02-2010, 03:57 AM
OBJECTION.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

:objection:

Skyblade
05-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Chrono Trigger.

Followed by FFTA2.

Del Murder
05-02-2010, 07:33 AM
FFIV DS is probably my favorite but that's a remake so it's cheating. So I will go with FFTA2. There's a lot of really great games for DS that I like around the same, so it's hard to pick a favorite.

Rostum
05-02-2010, 07:41 AM
I really love the Zelda games for DS (Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks). I'm also very fond of FFIV, Chrono Trigger and now Pokemon SoulSilver / HeartGold.

Though there are a lot of games I still need to play that are just sitting there (like Kingdom Hearts and Ace Attorney).

Jings
05-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Hotel Dusk is the best game I've played for it. The Ace Attorney series is a very close second.

Flying Arrow
05-02-2010, 09:49 AM
You really can't go wrong with Mario Kart DS. Really, really good.

Off the top of my head, Yoshi's Island DS and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow are some other great times I've had with the DS. There's also quite a few good RPGs out, with more coming (SMT: Strange Journey looks particularly good).

Taquadris
05-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I have played and own every Ace Attorney game to date. I own Soul Silver and Chrono Trigger. I own all the Castlevania DS games. I didn't really like either Zelda game for the DS. They didn't do it for me, I guess.

I will look into Hotel Dusk and Strange Journey. But, what exactly is Strange Journey? BTW people, I love puzzle/action games.

(Ace Attorney FTW)

Anyways, I'll look into

Flying Arrow
05-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Strange Journey is the new Shin Megami Tensei game, a first-person dungeon crawl with deep turn-based combat based around Pokemon-esque monster collecting and party building... or so I've read since I've never actually had a hands-on with the thing. Basically if you've played either Etrian Odyssey game (or have at least seen them), SJ is very similar.

EDIT: It also has the best battle theme ever: YouTube - Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Music Rip: Battle Theme 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P144_rhWZKM)

Jessweeee♪
05-03-2010, 12:01 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/jesse053/deskslam1.gif

I Took the Red Pill
05-03-2010, 01:57 AM
Mario Kart DS is baller, Elite Beat Agents is baller, Warioware Touched is baller, Chain of Memories is up there too, I thought I would hate it but it's an excellent game.

edit: nevermind, CoM was GBA.

Shlup
05-03-2010, 04:54 AM
Super Princess Peach is, uhm... "baller." Yes.

Taquadris
05-03-2010, 05:40 AM
Super Princess Peach is, uhm... "baller." Yes.

It is good, yeah. I own that one too :D

Necronopticous
05-03-2010, 04:59 PM
The Etrian Odyssey games are definitely up there.

Aydin
05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Just because Kyle Hyde is so cute, Hotel Dusk comes in first place...

The Phoenix Wright series comes at a very close second.

Then Trace Memory comes in a close third.

90% of the rest of the DS games super suck...

Hollycat
05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
kh 358/2

Mo-Nercy
05-04-2010, 12:40 AM
I haven't played Chrono Trigger on DS, but it's on DS and I'm sure I'd like it.

Of the games I actually have played, I love the Professor Layton series. But having said that, I haven't played a whole lot of DS games.

I've played about halfway through The World Ends With You, that seems pretty cool.

Vermachtnis
05-04-2010, 03:41 AM
I will look into Hotel Dusk and Strange Journey. But, what exactly is Strange Journey? BTW people, I love puzzle/action games.

Strange Journey is awesome. Some strange thing is engulfing Antarctica so they send a group to investigate, it turns out to be a demon infested monument to why humans suck. Like the first dungeon is war themed, the second dungeon is a Red Light district, consumerism, a dump, ect.

You go explore these worlds trying to escape from the place. You negotiate with demons to form your party and can fuse them to make stronger demons.

And by choices you're given during the game determines if you're Law (Blue), Neutral (White), or Chaos (Red).

Also if getting out of the Swartzwelt is boring you can always do some side quests.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3747/smtsjluvu1.jpg
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9122/smtsjluvu2.jpg

Taquadris
05-04-2010, 04:29 AM

Strange Journey is awesome. Some strange thing is engulfing Antarctica so they send a group to investigate, it turns out to be a demon infested monument to why humans suck. Like the first dungeon is war themed, the second dungeon is a Red Light district, consumerism, a dump, ect.

You go explore these worlds trying to escape from the place. You negotiate with demons to form your party and can fuse them to make stronger demons.

And by choices you're given during the game determines if you're Law (Blue), Neutral (White), or Chaos (Red).

Also if getting out of the Swartzwelt is boring you can always do some side quests.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3747/smtsjluvu1.jpg
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9122/smtsjluvu2.jpg

Thank you so much for the incredibly detailed description of this game. It sounds like the game Nocturne for PS2 (which was one of my favorite games by Shin Megami Tensei) :D

Jings
05-04-2010, 04:33 AM
Advance Wars: Dual Strike is a very fun little strategy game. It can be very challenging.

NeoCracker
05-04-2010, 04:35 AM
The Chrono Trigger and DQ V remakes are simply wonderful on DS. In the bonus dungeon, Dimensional Vortex, it even offers a bit of insight on the events between Trigger and Cross. Dalton, after getting sucked into the vortex after his attempt to summon Boss Golem, ends up in the dimensional vortex. There, he sees the many different timelines and learns of where Chrono came from. In an act of pure spite, he brings the magic of his time and technology of the future and takes over Porre, turning into a military nation armed with powers no one else possess, and conquers Guardia not for power, but because he hates you.

Dignified Pauper
05-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

One of the funniest games EVER! Great gameplay, and while easy, and simplistic, it's awesome. No SMRPG: SNES, but still, amazing.

If they ported that game to DS... goodness

Vermachtnis
05-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

One of the funniest games EVER! Great gameplay, and while easy, and simplistic, it's awesome. No SMRPG: SNES, but still, amazing.

If they ported that game to DS... goodness

That's the best idea since Chrono Trigger DS! Although it'd probably piss my friend off since I was bugging him to buy it for his WII so I could play it.

Hikki
05-05-2010, 08:16 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/jesse053/deskslam1.gif
:D:D

JKTrix
05-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes Taq, Strange Journey is called Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. It's the closest SMT game to Nocturne since Nocturne, after all the spinoffs since then.

You said you like Puzzle and Action games, so I'll just focus on a few of those.
Planet Puzzle League should be right up your alley. You've probably played some version of this before (Tetris Attack, Pokemon Puzzle League, etc), but the DS version I think is the best one they've done yet. The stylus control really makes it much more active. Picross 3D also came out in the US just this week, and it is also awesome (though less action focused).

Kirby's Canvas Curse is the game that really sold me on the platform. If you got your DS after 2005 there's a chance you missed out on this, so go back and play it.

I love the Ouendan series (which includes Elite Beat Agents), I love Rhythm Heaven, I love Daigasso! Band Brothers (coming out as Jam with the Band in Europe in 2 weeks!). I imported these from Japan originally, but now (or soon) there would be some version of them all available to play in English. And that was my Rhythm Action section.

You're a budding anime nerd, so if you do want to import a game I'd strongly recommend Jump Ultimate Stars. It takes all of the Shonen Jump manga stars (from Dragonball, Death Note, D.Gray-man, etc) and puts them in a sort of Smash Bros-style fighting game against each other. If you're afraid of importing, then the 2nd Bleach DS fighting game (which is more of a Guilty Gear styled game than JUS) is recommendable. The 3rd Bleach DS game is not a fighting game.

Other action games that I can recommend: Space Invaders Extreme, fantastic remix of the old classic. Bangai-O Spirits for just pure action. You can create your own stages in Bangai-O as well as share them with others in a ghetto-fabulous way.

I mentioned in another thread a while back that I'll make my own comprehensive DS recommendation thread one day. These are some of the games that would be on there.

Jessweeee♪
05-05-2010, 05:39 PM
I have played and own every Ace Attorney game to date. I own Soul Silver and Chrono Trigger. I own all the Castlevania DS games. I didn't really like either Zelda game for the DS. They didn't do it for me, I guess.

(Ace Attorney FTW)

Anyways, I'll look into

Hotel Dusk is lovely.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/furubafuruba94/6a00c2251ed83e8fdb00d41438bebb3c7f-.jpg

Levian
05-05-2010, 11:10 PM
The Professor Layton series, easily!

Mario 64 DS was refreshingly different from Mario 64, and I love Wario Ware and Ace Attorney too.

black orb
05-06-2010, 01:46 AM
>>> Castlevania games..:luca:

Rianoa
05-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Heartgold is fun and you get to choose a pokemon out of the pokeball and follow you around and theres quite alot of new stuff i got heartgold but vulpix is on the soulsilver version D:!

Jessweeee♪
05-06-2010, 08:41 PM
TWEWY and 358/2 Days were also excellent. I like them because they were a whole lotta game for just being on the go.

Madonna
05-07-2010, 04:45 AM
The Professor Layton series, easily!
Oh yes! Character designs, voice acting, music, puzzles; these games have it all!

The World Ends With You was a fun game with interesting methods for activating pins. Time to just scream!

Taquadris
05-07-2010, 06:47 AM
The World Ends With You, I have. And I agree with the few of you, it is a good game.

Evastio
05-07-2010, 07:52 PM
I can't pick only one. There's so many like New Super Mario Bros, Scribblenauts, Dragon Quest V, Pokemon Platinum, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Bomberman DS...

You get the idea.

Taquadris
05-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I can't pick only one. There's so many like New Super Mario Bros, Scribblenauts, Dragon Quest V, Pokemon Platinum, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Bomberman DS...

You get the idea.

Bomberman DS? Tell me about this. Is it anything like Bomberman 64?

JKTrix
05-08-2010, 02:21 AM
There are at least 5 Bomberman games for the DS, including a $5 downloadable one for DSiware and 'Custom Battler Bomberman' which hasn't come out in the US (though it did come out in Europe...)

All of them at least include the very basic Bomberman gameplay (bunch of dudes on a static maze-like map trying to blow each other up). The two Bomberman Land Touch! games also include a bunch of mini-games in them. I believe most of them include online multiplayer as well--the DSi one definitely does.

A thing I thought was neat with the first Bomberman DS game was that they extended the battles to both screens, with tunnels between the two of them. Got pretty crazy with a lot of people playing, as it's one of those DS games that lets you play multiplayer with just one cart.

I can't remember if any of them had any kind of platforming in them like BM64, though I somehow doubt it.

I never got a chance to import that 'Custom Battler Bomberman', but it was something I was interested in. You get to customize the look of your 'man and stuff.