PDA

View Full Version : [Web] Art School?

asukaevaunit02
05-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Do you/Have you been to art school (of any sort)?

If so why? Or if you havn't, why not?

Thoughts on art school?

I might be going to art school next year (changing from economics), just so I'm officially qualified to teach it, by government regulations. But personally I don't feel the need for me to go and study art for 3 years so I can be a teacher.

Breine
05-06-2010, 03:37 PM
I've never been to art school, but I'd love to! I contemplated beginning in one this year, but things turned out differently from what I expected (i.e. I basically decided to do other stuff).

I'd still really like to go to one at some point in my life. It'd be lovely. So, the closest I've come to art school is art class for two years in high school :bigsmile:

Hollycat
05-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Art are cool

Imperfectionist
05-07-2010, 12:33 AM
If I ever got the chance, i'd probably do a foundation course at an art college just for the fun.

But it takes a year, i'd have to do it part time while in work so I dunno.

grado
06-10-2010, 07:08 AM
can make friends, and know some good teacher to teach me design. The most important thing, opportunity.

Shiny
06-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I do technically go to an art school, but for things I don't necessarily deem entirely artistic. I mostly see what I do as technology oriented, but there is an element of creativity involved.

If so why? Or if you havn't, why not?
Welp, I applied to schools and got accepted to them so I was stuck with deciding which to go with. I eventually narrowed it down to three schools. One was another art school and they were offering me $10,000 for housing. I would've only had to pay about $1,000-$500 to dorm there, but it was located in Philly. My parents weren't cool with Philly since some areas are really bad there and it's relatively far away from home. And then I decided against NYU because it was more expensive and they don't offer as much editing and filming equipment as the school I'm going to now.

Thoughts on art school?
The people at my art school seem laid back, but they're in to partying too. They're not the typical frat people at parties, but they're chill nonetheless. They're more like hispters I guess. I think going to art school is important if your focus is in something proactive. In other words, I think it's pointless if you want to become a painter because the likelihood of someone becoming a successful painter is well, not very likely. It's great for animation, advertising, and film majors though.

Imperfectionist
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
In other words, I think it's pointless if you want to become a painter because the likelihood of someone becoming a successful painter is well, not very likely.

This is exactly why I chose not to apply to do a degree in art. It's sad but true, fine art won't get me monies :(

black orb
06-10-2010, 10:36 PM
>>> Yes..:luca:

If so why?
>>> I like to draw..:luca:

Thoughts on art school?
>>> It was fun..:luca:

>>> BTW, art schools are only good to have fun, dont expect to have a job/art related career or something after you finish it..:luca:

Shiny
06-10-2010, 10:46 PM
A good idea for those applying to an art school; definitely consider the location of where you want to apply. If you're looking to go in to advertising with graphic design or something like that, then you should probably apply to a school in New York City or California. If you're looking to go into animation then you should probably apply to a school in California or Florida. A school like Full Sail is good for that even though it is ridiculously expensive. You'll be able to find jobs and internships for things like that in those places. And lastly, New York City is the television capital of North America. Anyone looking to get in to that avenue will find many opportunities there.

Miriel
06-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I thought about going to a school specifically for photography, but I found that working for and learning from professional photographers was a much better way to learn and grow than learning in a classroom environment. I think there are certain fields where going to an art school would definitely be beneficial. Like Shiny mentioned, things like animation, film, etc. But not so much for things like painting or photography. The best part of having a formal education in the arts is that you're constantly being forced to do new projects, to meet deadlines, to expand your horizons, and learn new techniques. And you'll probably learn at a much faster rate than you would if you tried to teach yourself. And especially for things like animation and film, you would have access to equipment and software that you probably wouldn't if you weren't a student.

But with something like photography, you just need a camera, maybe a good mentor and you just run with it.

Shiny
06-10-2010, 11:43 PM
The best part of having a formal education in the arts is that you're constantly being forced to do new projects, to meet deadlines, to expand your horizons, and learn new techniques. And you'll probably learn at a much faster rate than you would if you tried to teach yourself. And especially for things like animation and film, you would have access to equipment and software that you probably wouldn't if you weren't a student.

That's true. Some of the film equipment I have used in school is hella expensive. This thing called the Libra head we used was $100,000 and that was just for rental. That's basically my entire four year tuition! So yeah, it depends on what you plan on going for. I have spoken to a few people working on the set of 30 Rock and all of them had college degrees -- though not all of them were film majors.

Imperfectionist
06-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Yeah I can totally agree with what Miriel said, it's much easier for most people to build up a body of work when you're being pushed to do it.