PDA

View Full Version : Red Dead Redemption

Yeargdribble
05-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I hate westerns. I've always just despised them. I don't like the setting or characters or any cowboy BS. It just doesn't sit well with me. I literally get a nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach when watching anything with a western theme.

That said, Red Dead Redemption has piqued my curiosity. My wife feels the same way I do about westerns and when I told her how this made me interested despite my distaste for westerns she was quite skeptical.

Then we watched some videos (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/life-in-red-dead/63316) (part II (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-life-red-dead/63988)) over on Gametrailers and she was pretty much instantly sold.

Normally I probably would've given this one some time, especially because it's multi-plat and those make me nervous about choosing early. But Amazon has quite a deal on pre-order with a $20 gift card which essentially makes the game $40 instead of $60 (not to mention no tax on Amazon whereas a 60 dollar game is closer to $65 with tax at a retailer). To make it even nicer, with Amazon Prime I'm getting release-day delivery for free.

Anyone else pretty excited about this game? And if you're not because you hate westerns I suggest you at least give it a look.

Bolivar
05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I actually am, it has been looking really good, but my girl'll probably be playing it more than I am, she actually wrote a preview about it on Gaming Target

Red Dead Redemption Xbox 360 Hands-On Preview @ Gaming Target (http://gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=11260)

She got to play it at PAX East and had a great time with it, hopefully there'll be a demo so we can check out some more for ourselves.

Meat Puppet
05-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Probably being one of the few people that enjoyed Red Dead Revolver (I don’t know how popular or unpopular it was), I have been excited since Red Dead Redemption was announced... and it has started to look more and more awesome with each passing day. I got this preordered.

Free Mode is one of my favorite parts of GTA IV, and it looks like RDR improves on this mode greatly. First perk: no bloody helicopters!

Quindiana Jones
05-04-2010, 01:10 AM
I like Western stuff a bit. This seems pretty good. I haven't really looked into it much, because I was no huge fan of RDR and didn't think this would be that great. Though I'll say it actually looks pretty good.

Pheesh
05-04-2010, 05:53 AM
Up until about 5 days ago there was no way I was buying this, then they released this huge batch of trailers and now I'm definitely sold on it. I'll be getting it as soon as it comes out.

Meat Puppet
05-04-2010, 05:56 AM
Up until about 5 days ago there was no way I was buying this, then they released this huge batch of trailers and now I'm definitely sold on it. I'll be getting it as soon as it comes out.
That’s sort of what my friend was like. He was saying how much it sucked and couldn’t understand why I was looking forward to it—saying how it looked like boring riding around on horses and stuff—then I showed him a couple of the trailers and he preordered it then and there. xD

Quindiana Jones
05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
The more I look into it, the more I like the look of it. First off, I like old guns. They pure clockwork mechanics and I love it. More importantly, however, is that lasso. Any game that features anything even remotely resembling Rico's grappling hook in Just Cause 2 is insta-win for me. If you can drag a man behind your horse, you've basically just sold me the game. :D

Yeargdribble
05-04-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm already thinking of riding a horse (or driving a stage coach) off of a tall cliff. Sometimes, like in GTA, it's just fun to see what kind of mischief you can get into and see what kind of damage you can cause.

Quindiana Jones
05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Step 1: Tie man to horse.
Step 2: Run horse off cliff.
-------Event A: You leap off your horse just in time and it plummets to its death, taking that poor bastard mercilessly tied to it to his undeserved doom.
-------Event B: You end up going over the cliff too, but get to watch it all in a magnificent ragdoll jizzfest.
-------Event C: You end up going over the cliff too, and some lame ass death scene thing happens and you don't get to watch any of the fun.
-------Event D: Nothing can fall off cliffs.
Step 3: Depending on the Event that occurs, either roll around screaming with joy, scream with joy, scream in annoyance or scream with rage.

Depression Moon
05-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Western GTA, I'm sold on it.

Quindiana Jones
05-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Anyone thought much on the pre-order benefits? I've never really been one to pre-order, and I don't really care much for it. But it seems Rockstar are offering some pretty cool stuff for anyone with Live.

Pre-order bonus list. (http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/preorder)

Also, what does everyone think of the multiplayer stuff? Videos are up on YouTube. I'm loving the sound of the free roam thing. I'm not really sure what it'll actually be like though. Is it like the GTA4 thing? Because I've never actually played that online. I'd love to be able to just come across random strangers in free roam, but I can't imagine that being very possible.

Depression Moon
05-11-2010, 02:47 AM
GameInformer just gave this a 9.75. This is officially serious business

LunarWeaver
05-11-2010, 08:04 PM
I paid some attention to this game, but now that they are releasing co-op missions for free [1] (http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/5211/first_red_dead_redemption_dlc_details_-_the_outlaws_to_the_end_co-op_mission_pack_coming_in_june_as_free_download.article), I am totally in. I don't do competitive multiplayer, so I'm always on the prowl for a little buddy-buddy action. Unfortunately, all my closer bumpfist friends are on the 360 and I'm not, but ah well. It will keep my interest for a long time all the same.

Of course, the bad part of playing with strangers is they tend to be vastly superior to me :mamu: Needless to say, they view me as the weak link and are, ahem, not happy with me on their side. Well, smurf 'em.

Quindiana Jones
05-11-2010, 08:37 PM
It is weird that I've already been thinking about all the custom games I want to have in free roam? :blush:

Psychotic
05-17-2010, 11:58 PM
I am definitely 100% smurfing getting this god damn game and it is going to be the best thing.

I am going to get drunk and try to punch a bear to death.

Also I am going to kidnap old ladies and tie them to train tracks.

Iceglow
05-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I wanna have a game of tug of war using the lassoo and a prostitute...could get messy! lets just hope game mechanics allow it.

Depression Moon
05-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Too many good games this year.

Quindiana Jones
05-18-2010, 12:45 AM
I am definitely 100% smurfing getting this god damn game and it is going to be the best thing.

I am going to get drunk and try to punch a bear to death.

Also I am going to kidnap old ladies and tie them to train tracks.

Haha there's actually an achievement for that. ;)

If I had some fecking Live, I'd offer that we all get on Free Roam and dick around. It'd be pretty fun to get a small group of EoFFers wrecking another 10 or so others' fun! :radred: Or to have some epic Western Juggernaut match.

Psychotic
05-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Then get some fecking Live. :colbert: I want to be that fat Mexican guy and follow you around asking if you want your shoes shined. And shoot your horse because it's an evil horse that was about to attack you.

Meat Puppet
05-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Greedy North Americans getting this game before everybody else. :frust:

Psychotic
05-18-2010, 01:14 PM
It was the same with Vice City and San Andreas and I used to just read the GameFAQs boards and FAQs about them non-stop in those sad few days, desperate for any scrap of information. :(

Is anyone who does actually have XBL (sorry Quin) and doesn't live in Australia (sorry Liam, I've played with your sort before and the lag is awful) getting this for the 360? I need a posse to ride with!

Jiro
05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
I was uninterested really, but I might give it more a look now it's got some good feedback. I found myself considering buying it as a bribe for my brother (who has been waiting eagerly for months) so I now see this as win-win.

Also that lag business is a bitch :( Oh and I guess this is another time where I complain about the price of gaming in this hell-hole. :bou::bou::bou::bou: is expensive. Importing from the good ol' USA would be the far better option. PS3 lacks region locking, doesn't it?

Psychotic
05-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I think PS3 is region lock free.

Also, looks like the Low Rider mini game from San Andreas has returned! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjJ9nRcOqEQ)

Madame Adequate
05-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Jesus Christ I need this game so badly.

I hate trading things in but I might have to. I don't see how I have a choice. I enjoyed Gun when I rented it years ago but there is a serious god damn lack of decent Westerns in this biz.

Quindiana Jones
05-18-2010, 05:03 PM
You dick, Psy. I feel bad enough already. :(

But I'll have Live up and running by late June time, I think. And then I'll have another 3 months summer holiday. Booyah.

Meat Puppet
05-19-2010, 12:15 PM
is anyone who does actually have XBL (sorry Quin) and doesn't live in Australia (sorry Liam, I've played with your sort before and the lag is awful) getting this for the 360? I need a posse to ride with!
i understand man you just don’t wanna play with me don’t worry i can Handel the truth

no no don’t
i’m not crying i’m just
chopping onions

Rostum
05-19-2010, 12:49 PM
This looks really cool. All I have is a Wii, but I've been saving up a lot from my new job and will probably buy a PS3 Slim, and get this. :)

Madame Adequate
05-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I may trade in FFXIII to get this?

Loony BoB
05-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Out of curiosity, does this have splitscreen for Xbox 360? 'cause if it does, I'll probably get it for that. If not... probably PS3.

Muppet: Making a lasagne?

Meat Puppet
05-20-2010, 01:40 PM
No, a stew, you fiend! You dice onions for lasagne!

But since you are such a nice fellow I will answer your question and say that I have played this game and it does not have spit screen

edit: or, for that matter, split screen. i guess it would have spit screen if you got excit... whoa, let’s not go down that road

Fonzie
05-20-2010, 01:47 PM
I have this, so I'll play later when I get home. :aimkiss:

Loony BoB
05-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Ah, crap. That means Danielle and I can't both play at the same time. That's crap. Even the PS2 had that with San Andreas! I wonder why they didn't go along with it this time.

Meat Puppet
05-20-2010, 01:52 PM
You could buy another Xbox 360 and play with her over Live.

Loony BoB
05-20-2010, 01:55 PM
That would be overkill. I'd probably sooner get another PS3, anyway, as we can already play a lot of Xbox 360 games together on a single console while with the PS3 only one person can log in per console. Which is crap. But I don't think I'll buy another console at all, to be honest, unless something insane comes out or I get a buttload of cash. I wonder if this game will be released on PC eventually... we have two desktops!

Meat Puppet
05-20-2010, 02:06 PM
If there are plans for one, it’ll be a while off. I remember ages ago, I think this game was supposed to be on PC, or, at least, I misinterpreted information as I often do. At the moment R* are not developing a PC version.

Quindiana Jones
05-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Just got a call from Gamestation telling me that there'll be a copy waiting for me tomorrow. I jizzed everywhere. :squee:

Rase
05-20-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm really having to temper myself to not buy this right now. I can't in good conscience buy it when I have things like food, gas, and rent to pay, plus I still have a ton of games I haven't beaten or even touched, and still need to play Splinter Cell: Conviction, look into Borderlands, Dragon Quest IV...

But I want it so bad...

cloud21zidane16
05-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Been watching some trailers today and this game looks awesome. I havent played a western type game in a long time either so im definitely getting it.
Sadly not for a while though as I have enough games half complete as it is and barely have the time as it is to play. I think I’ll leave it a few weeks or so:)

Meat Puppet
05-21-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm really having to temper myself to not buy this right now. I can't in good conscience buy it when I have things like food, gas, and rent to pay, plus I still have a ton of games I haven't beaten or even touched, and still need to play Splinter Cell: Conviction, look into Borderlands, Dragon Quest IV...

But I want it so bad...
you’re buying little bits of it at a time so you don’t scramble???

Jings
05-21-2010, 01:12 AM
I loved cruisin' around town, listening to my radio in GTA. I can't listen to no radio on a horse! Still, I will probably get this.

Depression Moon
05-21-2010, 02:37 AM
News: Pachter: 'I was wrong about Red Dead' - ComputerAndVideoGames.com (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=247426)

Pete for President
05-21-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm currently thinking of getting either ModNation Racers or Red Dead Redemption.

I'm trying hard not to get caught in the hype that is Red Dead, even though it does look awesome. A friend of mine got it yesterday, so I'll probably check it out at his place sometime next week. A big negative assumption I have is that - as in GTA IV - a lot of missions will be ridiculously one-man-army like. And I'm not too fond of that, so I hope my assumptions are wrong.

On the other hand there's ModNation Racers. I played the demo today and I actually laughed out loud about some of the awesome and ridiculous customizables. The racing feels action packed and I'm diggin'the style. I am in need of a new party game, so I want this game as well.

But which one to get (first)? :choc:

Psychotic
05-21-2010, 05:37 PM
I saw an armadillo in Armadillo!

Jings
05-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Totally forgot it was the 21st today. I'll have to get it tomorrow :mad2:

Fonzie
05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Fun fact actually, most of Texas still looks like this as of today. :wacky:

Madame Adequate
05-21-2010, 07:54 PM
I came across some folks shootin' some fleein' folks so I figured that I would protect the remaining folk being shot at.

Turns out I killed a couple of deputies and aided a crook (briefly) :(

Also: Finally a GTA game which does trains perfectly. You can sit and get cinematic stuff going on, or you can dick around on the roof or whatever. I managed to screw up a rooftop jump because of a slight curve in the track, fell to the ground, and managed to hop back onto the train on one of those open-door boxcars. I truly felt awesome as I climbed back to the passenger car and calmly sat back down :shobon:

Basically my opinion so far is :bou::bou::bou::bou:yes.

Psychotic
05-21-2010, 08:32 PM
I keep tying women to railroad tracks and getting them splattered but still no achievement!

Well, guess this means I'll have to do it a whole load more :cool:

Quindiana Jones
05-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Are you lying them across it? Apparently you basically have to make it look like you're beheading dem hoes.

Just got the game and the guide for £10. Very happy. :D

Psychotic
05-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I am amazed by all the little details. There's a crazy ass storm right now and puddles are forming! Puddles that I am pushing a whore into while I wait for a train to show up :)

Aerith's Knight
05-21-2010, 09:35 PM
I am amazed by all the little details. There's a crazy ass storm right now and puddles are forming! Puddles that I am pushing a whore into while I wait for a train to show up :)

It's almost like real life!

Except in real life, it doesn't rain that hard in the west.

Psychotic
05-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Whether or not it rains that hard, IRL it's damn atmospheric seeing a storm breaking in the distance in the desert.

Also holy :bou::bou::bou::bou: a gang just randomly rode through town dragging a guy behind them and firing their guns into the air. Not a mission, just a random event! This is the business!

Madame Adequate
05-22-2010, 12:04 AM
I had that happen! I went into magic cowboy bullet time and gunned them all down :jess:

Meat Puppet
05-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Just got the game and the guide for £10. Very happy. :D
quin
i am honored to hereby denounce you as a newborn

Psychotic
05-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Won like $300 on poker despite not knowing what the fuck I was doing. Then some asshole cheated so I dragged him out of there on my lassoo, put him on my horse and rode off into the desert. I then left him out there, hog tied and alone :)

G13
05-22-2010, 05:44 AM
I keep tying women to railroad tracks and getting them splattered but still no achievement!

Well, guess this means I'll have to do it a whole load more :cool:

I tried that last night. I just threw a dude onto the back of my horse as a train passed by so I decided, after it was out of sight mind you, to lay him down and wait for another one. I was sitting there for 15 minutes before another one came along, and by that time I was shooting birds to amuse myself. I hear the whistle and look down... and the dude is gone! I was so pissed. :mad:

I had that happen! I went into magic cowboy bullet time and gunned them all down :jess:

That's such a great idea! I'll remember this if I happen to witness that. :jess:

Yeargdribble
05-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Fun fact actually, most of Texas still looks like this as of today. :wacky:

Having lived all over Texas my entire life, I can say that this not quite true, though it gives me a clue as to what part of Texas you might live in. West Texas does bear a great resemblance to the land in RDR. However, the eastern border of the state is densely wooded (largely with pine trees and thus often referred to as the Piney Woods).

Most of south and central Texas (and even much of the panhandle) is a little less lushly wooded, but still quite verdant. The arid, orange landscapes are quite present in west Texas though. Even in the areas surrounding Wichita Falls it looks a lot like RDR. The more westward you travel (toward El Paso) the more this becomes true.

I'd argue that the use of the word "most" is a bit of an overstatement. I'd give it at best 40%.

Psychotic
05-22-2010, 04:17 PM
You know that bible thumping girl you see on the train at the start of the game? Jenny?

Met her struggling in the wildnerness. Insisted her faith will protect her. That nothing can kill her.

Turns out trains can. Achievement unlocked. :aimsun:

Madame Adequate
05-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I just used a common whore, but I got it mere minutes ago as well :cool:

Psychotic
05-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Just dicked about online in free roam. I play as a Mexican woman on a donkey.

I swear to god it all plays like you're making an assault on a Wermacht bunker.

Meat Puppet
05-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Some guy threw a stick of dynamite on me and my friend when we were trying to get the Most Wanted achievement so we appropriately sought revenge by spawn camping him for 20 minutes. Then some random guy rode along and also joined in on the action.

Psychotic
05-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Fonz invited me to a game and promptly jumped me, the dirty Mexican bastard. I responded by throwing knives at his sombrero-wearing head.

Meat Puppet
05-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Would there be any other way of dealing with Fonz, short of setting up a chain of horsemen to continuously run him down so he cannot move?

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I like to kidnap young black men and leave them on the traintracks rather than women :shobon:

Psychotic
05-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Hahahaha best line in a video game ever. (first Irish mission) "Don't worry old pal, Hell's better than Wales!"

Also the music in this is sick, I just wish it played 24/7. When I am alone in the wildnerness I play The Lonely Shepherd from Kill Bill to boost the epicness (seriously, go find it on YouTube and try it)

Fonzie
05-23-2010, 03:08 AM
all my mics are freaking broken >:[

Quindiana Jones
05-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Played poker. Made a tonne of money. Then went all in with the second best hand possible for that round. My only opponent went all in with the first best. I lost about $2K. So, I stood up like a gentleman and turned away.

Then I put on my bandana, ghosted the lot of them and took it all back from their dead hands.

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 07:08 PM
I love Herbert Moon and his talk of Jews xD Poker is so fun in this game. My Marston tends to spend his evenings relaxing in Armadillo playing it.

Oh, and as for the bandana, if I see a train I'm not wanting to take, on goes the mask as I ride up alongside, jump aboard, and murder everyone for what pittance they carry. Then it's off the train, on the horse, and on my way, removing the disguise and once again becoming an absolute paragon of justice!

Psychotic
05-23-2010, 08:03 PM
How the hell do you jump on board a moving train? Do you need to be on a horse or something? Whenever I try on foot, he just jumps into the train and then spends 10 seconds clutching his head in agony.

Pheesh
05-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Ya, you do it on horseback.

I find myself speaking in either a Mexican or Western accent while playing the game ^^

Jings
05-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Wait, so if I wear a bandana and commit a crime, do I get a bounty?

G13
05-23-2010, 08:29 PM
I decided I wanted to lasso a dog just for the hell of it and it seems the dog thought running full speed into an oncoming train was better than being leashed.

A few hours later I was trying to recreate that scene with a donkey and my horse decided it just couldn't go on unless it was by my side. The dumb thing just walked onto the track as the donkey ran off and it fucking exploded when the train hit it.

Jings
05-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Just tied my first whore to the railway tracks and then whistled for my $1500 Kentucky Saddler (took me a while to save up for him). He then proceeds to run onto the tracks and the train chugs off with a dead whore and horse greasing it's wheels. :mad2:

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 08:38 PM
How the hell do you jump on board a moving train? Do you need to be on a horse or something? Whenever I try on foot, he just jumps into the train and then spends 10 seconds clutching his head in agony.

You ride alongside the train, keeping level with the gap between the passenger car and one of the adjacent ones. A little "Press X to jump to the train" will come up, and there you have it! I've had some luck jumping into the open door of the boxcars occasionally, but it's probably only successful 1/3 of the time.

Had a couple of occasions where I was able to jump onto the very end of the back end carriage, but it doesn't seem to be consistent in letting me.

Jings - The masked you gets a bounty of his own, which does not apply to Marston when he's unmasked (and vice versa, I would presume). I'm not sure whether a bounty carries over the next time you use it though. Edit: Oh and idk if you know or not from your post, but you can use the horse deed in your inventory and a new one will show up!

Jings
05-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks MILF! I thought the deed disappeared when I first used it.

Psychotic
05-23-2010, 09:56 PM
I unlocked the Duster and thought I would never take it off. But now...now I have a poncho!

Levian
05-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Looks fun, I would've gotten it if I had the money.

G13
05-23-2010, 10:48 PM
I unlocked the Duster and thought I would never take it off. But now...now I have a poncho!

Yeah dude, the poncho is epic. Makes me feel like I'm playing as Eastwood

Madame Adequate
05-23-2010, 11:07 PM

Have been loving my duster for a long while now but I'm sure that poncho will prove superior :D

Psychotic
05-23-2010, 11:10 PM
smurf Mexican canines :colbert:

Saw a coyote/wolf wandering about so I bravely knifed it in the face to defend the townspeople. $5 bounty; Mexican army trying to kill me. Must've been someone's pet. Sheesh, you try to do a nice thing! Then, out in the wildnerness, I saw a pack of coyotes and decided to murder them to teach them a lesson - they can pay for my bounty fees with their deceiving pelts! It's a small bounty, yes, but it's the principle of the thing. Do you know what happened? I shot at one and I was thrown off my horse and received "Honor -50". What the smurf? It turns out I accidentally shot my own horse, the golden coloured stallion you get early on with Bonnie that I've been riding all this time, in the smurfing head.

I hate Mexico.

Quindiana Jones
05-23-2010, 11:12 PM
I love my Kentucky Saddler. I got it from Bonnie. Then he threw himself off a cliff and I was left with some :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty Welsh thing. Luckily, I saw another and got the old KS back. :D

Other bonus of the bandana: your honour and fame is not affected by stuff.

Also: the Duster is lame. Elegant Suit + poncho = win.

Psychotic
05-24-2010, 12:59 AM
You can't combine the two, you LIAR. :colbert:

Speaking of liars, I fucking love liar's dice and I'd love to play it IRL.

Pheesh
05-24-2010, 07:40 AM
I'm running around like a crazy person doing all sorts of needless challenges so that I can unlock the legend of the west coat. LOOK AT THE SILHOUETTE! IT'S GOING TO BE SO EPIC!!! T_T

Meat Puppet
05-24-2010, 09:07 AM
smurf Mexican canines :colbert:

I think there’s a bug so the humans think that wolves are townsfolk... I was hunting lobo in the wilderness the other day, and saw bullets flying past me and I thought “wtf wolves can’t shoot guns” and then I noticed the pilgrim, at which I thought he was aiding his fellow man until he popped me

new story

probably the one thing that I don’t like about the game is there is, well, as far as I know, only one lobby type for free roam. I liked in GTA IV how you could have no-auto-aim free roam games and not have to worry about young pups who rely on auto-aim to give them that masculine feeling. But in RDR I get lumped with these fellows even though I prefer not to use auto-aim.
It is kind of awesome though when you managed to get an expert kill on someone using casual aim... though I sometimes think I am the only person who notices

Pheesh
05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I just finished the main storyline, such a pimp ending.

Now I have to try and find some way to pass lvl 10 sharp-shooter challenge, it's kicking my ass.

Depression Moon
05-24-2010, 10:52 PM
What's with all the Disney avs?

Psychotic
05-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Oh man the movies are hilarious. The one about women's suffrage was a beaut.

Madame Adequate
05-25-2010, 01:16 AM
I've only seen the snake oil salesman one. I about died when the kid drank a bottle of 99% Laudanum. "Medical science will not save you. It will kill you and leave you dead."

Quindiana Jones
05-25-2010, 01:08 PM
You can't combine the two, you LIAR. :colbert:

Speaking of liars, I smurfing love liar's dice and I'd love to play it IRL.

Haha I didn't even realise I'd typed that. I meant to say Bandana. xD

Also: agreed. I will happily play it with you.

Also also: agreed on the suffrage. I knew it was going to end in a similarly narrow-minded way as the salesman one, but didn't expect it to turn into suffrage!

On a darker note: smurfers killed Luisa. This was the only point in the game when I was genuinely pissed and wished I could have taken almighty bloody vengeance in a more awesome way. I would quite happily have unloaded all 15 rounds of my Mauser in his face if I'd had it at that time.

Psychotic
05-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Beat the game. Thoughts on sections:

Lead up to the assault on Mercer: I liked it and I really liked this part of the world. Pure western. Irish was a fucking star, although hell so were Seth and West-Dickens.

Mexican adventures: Really fucking hated the story here. "Hi, I need to find these two guys" "Okay, just kill 50 people for me and I'll tell you" "Killed 'em. Where are they?" "I don't know yet, kill 50 more, maybe I'll know them" god damnit. Didn't even get to interact with the two guys until you actually found them - we had reason enough to hate Bill but didn't give a fuck about Escuela.

Having said that, though, the missions in Mexico were some of the best and great fun. The final assault was crazy.

North-East: Really liked the story here. You knew who Dutch was, he was always there and a good villain, unlike the last two! Plus I actually liked working with the army. It was good to be all gung-ho about it all. Although it wasn't really very westernish at all!

Last bit and ending: I was so sure that after Dutch said "they'll find another monster" that they'd come after John, but nothing. "Go home to your wife and son" they said - oh, sure, and when I get there the ranch will be in flames. ...nope. You get lulled into a false sense of security by doing all the jobs on the farm, and it works. Plus you do get a sense of what it was all for.

Then, the last stand. God damnit that was mental, and depressing.

And then Jack getting revenge. Yeah it felt good to waste that prick Ross, but I think Ross still wins because Jack is living the life that John did not want for him.

Loony BoB
05-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Is it a long storyline? I'm reading at PA that it's "lots of progression, little context" and I'm looking for an expanded version of what they were trying to get across to my deadbeat brain.

Psychotic
05-25-2010, 01:35 PM
It's not especially long compared to GTA games, no. There's a lot of "stranger" missions to counterbalance that, though.

Having said that, it's longer than a lot of games. I was just left wanting more.

Loony BoB
05-25-2010, 01:55 PM
If I'd finished a GTA game, that would tell me a lot. But I guess that at least tells me that I probably am more likely to finish it than I am a GTA game. xD I get bored of them too easily (or in GTA:SA's case, I get distracted by gang wars too easily).

Not sure if I'll get it, but if I do, it'll be after I finish playing Resistance & Resistance 2 with Danielle.

Pheesh
05-25-2010, 02:37 PM
I never finished a GTA game before, I always used to get bored with them before I could get through even the story missions (and I could NEVER resist putting in cheats after a few hours of playing), but RDR is a different experience. From the moment you start playing there's just so much that you can do, and it's satisfying to use even the most basic weapons (unlike GTA where I used to get frustrated and then cheat and grab a rocket launcher or some such thing).

I finished the main story yesterday and I'm still playing poker, hunting bounties, and trying to complete all of the challenges. Also, I haven't even looked at multiplayer yet (my friends and I are waiting till we've all finished and then we're going to go posse up)

Shiny
05-27-2010, 05:37 AM
I believe I can flyyyyy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdCvN-ukRY)

Psychotic
05-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Level 10 in Sharpshooter and Hunting. God damn, knifing a bear to death is the most ridiculous thing ever!

Also got Heading South on a White Bronco. An awful lot of lawmen had to eat bullets for that one. Went from maxxed out honour right the way down to the bottom.

Pheesh
05-28-2010, 04:28 AM
For level 10 sharpshooter MAKE SURE that you're doing it with an evans repeater, it saves lives.

I can't believe how much there is to do in free roam. It's way more fun than I thought it was going to be.

EDIT: or wait, did you mean that you'd already done the challenges...couldn't tell. If so... *hi-five*

Aerith's Knight
05-28-2010, 12:44 PM
It was sold out. EVERYWHERE! ;_;

Tseng
05-29-2010, 04:20 AM
I literally almost bought this game today! The reason I didn't was because I hate westerns with a burning passion! Well.. the Good the Bad and the Ugly was pretty brutal but other than that I cant stand them. Hmm.. maybe you have swayed yet another; you persuasive EOFF posters you :)

Psychotic
05-29-2010, 04:49 AM
EDIT: or wait, did you mean that you'd already done the challenges...couldn't tell. If so... *hi-five*Yep, *fived back* although I haven't done survivalist or treasure hunting yet.

Still haven't done Free Roam with a good group of people yet because CERTAIN INTERNET PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHO THEY ARE didn't get it on release like a normal person and now everywhere has sold out. :colbert:

Meat Puppet
05-29-2010, 06:19 AM
i have it

lol

Tseng
05-29-2010, 06:24 AM
Its in that high of a demand? The stores around here seem to have plenty for some strange reason.

Psychotic
05-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Well, it's a damn good game.

Got my Most Wanted achievement. Those who interrupted previous attempts were punished severely.

Iceglow
05-29-2010, 09:13 PM
I picked a copy up today :D

Meat Puppet
05-29-2010, 11:48 PM

Got my Most Wanted achievement. Those who interrupted previous attempts were punished severely.
Hell yes. Whenever I’m helping my friends get this, or just trying to go for an epic bounty, and I see people coming I kind of give them a warning. They often don’t take it, so I spawn camp them until they quit. You’d think people would at least posse up before starting :bou::bou::bou::bou:...

Which, incidentally, is what I do when I’m in a posse: kill people trying to get the achievement. Yep, I’m an asshole. But... when there’s a little American kid holed up in a bar in Armadillo, you just can’t resist throwing that stick of dynamite in there...

Shiny
05-30-2010, 12:06 AM

Really, because it just looks like 90 percent of the game is riding on a horse through a desert.

Psychotic
05-30-2010, 01:37 AM

Really, because it just looks like 90 percent of the game is riding on a horse through a desert.Except there's fast travel so that's wrong, but even if it was true, it would still be great.

NICE TROLL ATTEMPT THOUGH :aimkiss:
Which, incidentally, is what I do when I’m in a posse: kill people trying to get the achievement. Yep, I’m an asshole. But... when there’s a little American kid holed up in a bar in Armadillo, you just can’t resist throwing that stick of dynamite in there... Yeah, this is about to be my new hobby :greenie: Although I think I will probably tun into the saloon with the dynamite lit, just for the style factor.

G13
05-30-2010, 01:56 AM
I'm starting to get bored with these bounty missions. Has anybody gotten one with more money on Dead than Alive? I've been tempted to just kill the bounty anyways but my stupid conscience always stops me from doing it.

Quindiana Jones
05-30-2010, 02:16 AM
They're always worth double alive. But it's only really worth the effort capturing the necessary outfit ones, and that's only if you want the outfits. I like capturing them alive for the challenge, though.

Psychotic
05-30-2010, 02:46 AM
If they're getting boring, do something else! It's not as if you're spoiled for choice :p

That or just knife them. Got 3 knife kills in an online match earlier, felt pretty :smug: about it.

Quindiana Jones
05-30-2010, 03:03 AM
New gametype: Bear Baiting.

Go to Tall Trees and aggravate bears. Run away from them, always looking at the bears chasing you. Try to outrun them.

The best bits are when random bears appear in front of you. You're spazzing out at the half dozen behind you and get mowed down by one you can't see. Amazing fun. xD

G13
05-30-2010, 04:05 AM
If they're getting boring, do something else! It's not as if you're spoiled for choice :p

That or just knife them. Got 3 knife kills in an online match earlier, felt pretty :smug: about it.

I suppose bored wasn't the right word to use. It's just, uh... lame I guess that there isn't much variety. A Dead only poster would be nice every once in a while. I don't do bounties often but when I do it's pretty disappointing that I have to watch who I shoot. I just want to go in guns blazing and lay waste to everyone.

Fuck it, I'm doing it. I have enough money that I don't need to keep them alive.

ANGRYWOLF
05-30-2010, 05:08 AM
on Fox right now.Like a movie.Might just be the trailer though.

oh well...
I don't recall that being done previously for a video game except on Gametrailers/G4..those kinds of channels..

Shiny
05-30-2010, 05:18 AM

Really, because it just looks like 90 percent of the game is riding on a horse through a desert.Except there's fast travel so that's wrong, but even if it was true, it would still be great.

NICE TROLL ATTEMPT THOUGH :aimkiss:
Good, I will be using that fast travel because I plan on getting this game tomorrow regardless of the fact that GTA IV and all of it's side games blowed. :kiss:

Actually Ballad of Gay Tony was tolerable.

Psychotic
05-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Why did you get all of the side games for it if you thought the original blowed? :confused:

Meat Puppet
05-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Yeah, this is about to be my new hobby :greenie: Although I think I will probably tun into the saloon with the dynamite lit, just for the style factor.
I always want to get someone like this, but they see me and start freaking out and running away, and I move to slowly with dynamite lit. So far I’ve only been able to suicide bomb my friends while they’ve been sniping :p

Psychotic
05-30-2010, 06:50 AM
My posse just randomly started having a five-man fistfight brawl, and I got every last one of them with my jihad dynamite while they were trying to beat the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of each other. I wish I could say they raged about it, but they laughed it off.

Meat Puppet
05-30-2010, 07:04 AM
imo it’s the best when you surprise them. I managed to deafen an entire Xbox Live Party by taking a girl by surprise—by which I mean exploding her by dynamite—when she was doing something stupid in town (probably painting her nails). Fortunately, I somehow divined taking my headset off before I attacked...

Madame Adequate
05-30-2010, 03:47 PM
I just unlocked the Northeast. I love this game, though I agree with Paul's assessment on things in Mexico, the problem is that I just spend so so much time dicking around, kidnapping whores and cruelly murdering them, riding the rails, and simply filling people will bullets in Dead Eye.

Oh btw when you duel with that one Mexican army dude on the final Mexico mission, did anyone else have as much trouble as I did? For some reason John just didn't get his :bou::bou::bou::bou: together on that one, had to do it like 8 times. The only other times I lost a duel were when I did so to see what happened, and when I tried to shoot the guy's hat and gun instead of his face.

Psychotic
05-30-2010, 03:50 PM
I got dicked a few times on the road up to the palace where the gatling gun emplacement was, but never in the duel.

Tseng
05-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Good, I will be using that fast travel because I plan on getting this game tomorrow regardless of the fact that GTA IV and all of it's side games blowed. :kiss:

Actually Ballad of Gay Tony was tolerable.

I never thought the GTA games outright blew, they all retained their fun factor once you accepted that the entirety of it's entertainment was realized through mindless citizen massacres and pitiless whore beating. What disappointed me about GTAIV was its sheer potential. I couldn't ignore what I felt could be added to supplement the experience. I KNOW its off topic.. sort of.. By the way does anyone know what the penalty for dicking is out west? [insert pithy response here]

Psychotic
05-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Do you mean dicking as in "Ha, I totally dicked that guy :shoot:" or "Ha, I totally dicked that guy :jokey:"?

Tseng
05-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Hmmm...good question..Well if you consider how justice is served in the lawless west I could gather it might involve some dancing to the tune of five revolvers!

Proxy
05-30-2010, 11:28 PM
My friend brought this game over Friday night and I played it for a while and for Rockstar Games (a game company I don't care too much for), I didn't mind it. Although it did have a GTA feel to it, but Western themed. A good rent, but not for purchase for me.
I enjoyed the music and the environments are GIANT which is very nice to see.
As I said, tonnes of fun, but in my opinion not worth buying.

Tseng
05-31-2010, 12:08 AM
Thanks proxy! Always nice to hear opinions from folks with varied tastes. Seems as though rockstar hasn't broken into the next generation completely. Their texture and level composition feels unblended and basic. It's possible their style serves as a hallmark, but in this day and age graphics are pushing limits of the consoles and I believe there is some slack to be made up in that department for rockstar. This brings me to the question: is r.d.d. capable of pushing our consoles?

Proxy
05-31-2010, 12:18 AM
This brings me to the question: is r.d.d. capable of pushing our consoles?

You're welcome for one =P
and for your question: I really think it had the potential and capable and push consoles as well as to be mind-blowing but perhaps Rockstar didn't want to push the envelope too far, and stuck to what they did best. Granted it's a slight graphic improvement from the GTA series, but not much more.

I really can't believe how the environments are. It feels like you could walk for days without reload screens and its so very impressive.
That in this game you can travel from the starting town, to another city across a HUGE terrain that takes maybe 5-10 mins depending on how fast you want to travel and get to explore the new town without loading times and such heavily detailed towns and surroundings is...well I said it before. Mind-blowing.

It's too bad that they didn't go as far as they could have with it. Or I might have bought it. Maybe.

Iceglow
05-31-2010, 02:24 AM
Me and Psy went online 2 player team up style. We laid some smackdown on people and had some good fun. I gotta admit I like it so far I've not even touched the single player yet, Psy was just like "dude you need to do multiplayer" and well we know what I'm like when Psy asks me to play it's not a case of maybe it's a case of when, where and what game? We went hunting and that was fun, the Cougars are lethal! I can see a group of us on the 360 having one hell of a time forming a posse and just dicking people around though even the online gang hideouts are huge.

Madame Adequate
05-31-2010, 04:52 AM
This one time, I saved a whore from a stabbin', but then I hogtied her and rode out into the wilderness, and when I heard a bobcat, I untied her and shot her in the ankle. Then I watched her limp away until it took her down. :cool:

Meat Puppet
05-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Me and Psy went online 2 player team up style. We laid some smackdown on people and had some good fun. I gotta admit I like it so far I've not even touched the single player yet, Psy was just like "dude you need to do multiplayer" and well we know what I'm like when Psy asks me to play it's not a case of maybe it's a case of when, where and what game? We went hunting and that was fun, the Cougars are lethal! I can see a group of us on the 360 having one hell of a time forming a posse and just dicking people around though even the online gang hideouts are huge.
I’ve had this game since it was released, and I’ve only played Singe player twice. I like to take it slow... to savor it :cool:

Iceglow
05-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Ok so I know they done it for the fact that it is fucking cool to get attacked by all these different creatures however 9 times in 10 unless something is wrong with the Cougar/Wolf or something is wrong with the person it's attacking it just doesn't happen. Bears however are another story...would be cool for you to pretty much scare animals away so long as you're not wounded. Especially since yesterday I got attacked by a cougar as soon as I respawned (it had killed me by attacking me whilst I was at full gallop!) yeah I got dicked by a frigging Cougar more than I got dicked by the guys we were giving crap to.

Psychotic
05-31-2010, 12:00 PM
This one time, I saved a whore from a stabbin', but then I hogtied her and rode out into the wilderness, and when I heard a bobcat, I untied her and shot her in the ankle. Then I watched her limp away until it took her down. :cool:The best thing to do is drag them from the back of your horse through the wilderness and go fishing for cougars. When your bait gets mauled, you know you've got a live one!

Madame Adequate
05-31-2010, 01:09 PM
I've tried that a few times, but they never live long enough for me to find anything. xD

Iceglow
05-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Me and Psy had this massive hunting trip today, tell ya what those Cougars are nasty killing the "legendary" bear was easier!

Psychotic
06-01-2010, 02:08 AM
I would normally fast travel all over a game world like this, but my advice to anyone playing it, especially if they are doing single player, is just to ride there yourself unless you're pressed for time. Each journey always ends up as an adventure - there will always be something that happens on the way there.

Madame Adequate
06-01-2010, 02:55 AM
Agreed. I only rarely fast travel because just travelling around is itself a lot of fun.

Quindiana Jones
06-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I just unlocked the Northeast. I love this game, though I agree with Paul's assessment on things in Mexico, the problem is that I just spend so so much time dicking around, kidnapping whores and cruelly murdering them, riding the rails, and simply filling people will bullets in Dead Eye.

Oh btw when you duel with that one Mexican army dude on the final Mexico mission, did anyone else have as much trouble as I did? For some reason John just didn't get his :bou::bou::bou::bou: together on that one, had to do it like 8 times. The only other times I lost a duel were when I did so to see what happened, and when I tried to shoot the guy's hat and gun instead of his face.

I got dicked a few times on the road up to the palace where the gatling gun emplacement was, but never in the duel.

Ok so I know they done it for the fact that it is smurfing cool to get attacked by all these different creatures however 9 times in 10 unless something is wrong with the Cougar/Wolf or something is wrong with the person it's attacking it just doesn't happen. Bears however are another story...would be cool for you to pretty much scare animals away so long as you're not wounded. Especially since yesterday I got attacked by a cougar as soon as I respawned (it had killed me by attacking me whilst I was at full gallop!) yeah I got dicked by a frigging Cougar more than I got dicked by the guys we were giving crap to.

Reading these, it's clear that I'm so much better than all of you. Can't wait to get online and show you girls how a real man handles his gun. :smug:

Wait, that was unintentionally gay. :|

Psychotic
06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Going to spawn camp you like the Calamity Jane that you are. :)

Iceglow
06-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh hell yes, we're going to have to make you in to the Village horse, everyone gets a ride!

Psychotic
06-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Invented the best mini game ever: Knife Jousting.

Two people, two horses, a road, lots of knives. Start at opposite ends of the road and charge. Try to kill each other. You can either both use the melee knife or the throwing knives. It is the best :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Me and Dan had a particularly epic encounter where we both managed to kill each other.

Jings
06-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Trying to unlock a piece of the US Army outfit by beating every player at poker in Blackwater.

It goes a little something like this:

Marston goes all in.
Random Chinese guy goes all in.
Marston shows a pair of Kings. "Got this guys chips in the bag." /smug
Random Chinese guy shows a pair of Aces.

Marston slowly stands, removes gun from holster, and proceeds to fill said Chinaman with lead. Load and repeat ad infinitum.

Madame Adequate
06-02-2010, 02:32 AM
One thing I wish: I wish others cheated at poker, and that you could accuse them of it.

Quindiana Jones
06-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Just completed single player. I was playing simply to enjoy the game, with no intention to gain 100% completion or obtaining all offline achievements. However, after the end, I was at 98.9% completion (with only 10 bounties left to get 100) and had almost all the achievements. I didn't even notice I had done all these things. xD

This game rules.

Also, spawn camping me is the only chance you bitches have at staying alive. :smug:

Aerith's Knight
06-03-2010, 04:43 PM
This game is awesome.

Iceglow
06-03-2010, 08:14 PM
This game is awesome.

Dutch, do you have the game? Good then the trolling can commence in earnest!

Edit: Yes, Dutch was an odst reference and a pun a bad one.

Also: Good time tonight on Red Dead only had an hour or so but man, we did make it count :D

Iceglow
06-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Ok sorry for the DP but...

Well I finally tried the single player out today, I have to say that whilst Niko Bellic was an interesting character so far I have genuinely liked how Rockstar San Diego have done the story for Red Dead Redemption more. In the introduction to GTA IV I didn't feel any real affinity for Niko it wasn't until a good few hours of gameplay (story only game play) I began to feel for him Marston's introduction is so much easier to connect with.

Madame Adequate
06-05-2010, 03:24 AM
Yeah this game beats the absolute shiet out of GTA IV.

Tseng
06-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Yeah this game beats the absolute shiet out of GTA IV.

I'm so glad this is the consensus! I loved the GTA series but there was so much more I wanted from IV, on the count of it being next gen and all. And what's not to love about hog tying a scoundrel and brutally sending them to their death? I think I'm going to don my chaps, steal the neighbors horse, and rob a bank with an over and under snotty. That way I'll be one step closer to serving up buckshot showers in the wild west of r.d.r
-B

Psychotic
06-06-2010, 04:44 AM
Rockstar Games | Rockstar News Wire | Red Dead Redemption DLC: Outlaws to the End Co-Op Mission Pack Coming for Free on June 22nd - Check Out New Screens (http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/6041/red_dead_redemption_dlc_outlaws_to_the_end_co-op_mission_pack_coming_for_free_on_june_22nd_-_check_out_new_screens.article) good news :D

Although only the river one so far looks promising. The other two clearly take place at Gaptooth Breach and Tesoro Azul, and well, what's the point of that?

Iceglow
06-06-2010, 11:08 AM
IDK re-using old areas can be a good thing. I mean look at it this way, we could end up with another mothership zeta if they done new areas for everything. Red Dead's world is huge and theres plenty of areas not used in multiplayer, which means perhaps already re-using areas is a bit premature.

Madame Adequate
06-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I cleaned out everyone in Blackwater at poker. They thought they were hot :bou::bou::bou::bou: with their threes of a kind and two pairs, and then I showed them a steeeraight flush. :cool: Got over $300 from that one hand.

Iceglow
06-06-2010, 12:47 PM
I suck at gambling except black jack that I'm good at, perhaps that will change now I have the suit that allows me to cheat some.

Psychotic
06-06-2010, 04:03 PM
IDK re-using old areas can be a good thing. I mean look at it this way, we could end up with another mothership zeta if they done new areas for everything.Counterpoint: Point Lookout. :greenie:

I'm not asking for new areas to be made. Just using different areas to the ones that are used in gang hideouts. I wouldn't mind a repeatable mission in, say, Armadillo, or Blackwater.

Iceglow
06-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Conceeded: though having played none of the bonus content for Fallout 3 yet (heck I'm not even finished with the vanilla campaign) I have seen pics/vids online for all. Point Lookout was certainly imho from the video's and pics the best of them all. I need to finish that game, I have everything and could easily get 1500 gamerscore on it.

Further to your idea of using towns and such... It's an awesome idea however for it to work, I think all gang hideouts need to be optional spawns not automatic that when you enter the area the enemies spawn maybe a signpost outside you go "yes, I would like to do this mission" at because sometimes you're just exploring online and have to clear missions out just to do so. Well if you're not in the mood/don't have time really then it can get really ridiculously annoying. So yeah good idea maybe some tweaking.

Psychotic
06-06-2010, 04:34 PM
The thing about the co-op missions is that only four players can do them, so I'm going to assume you don't actually do them in Free Roam mode - it'll be something seperate like a gang match - so it won't really matter where they take place.

Iceglow
06-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Well I guess we will see on this.

Also figured I'd share my biggest "I just got dicked" moment so far. I was north of Gap Tooth Ridge when I saw a law man after 2 criminals, decided to lend a hand so I equip my lassoo and went for them, first criminal goes down struggling against the rope when a cougar pounces on his face. I quickly shoot the cougar because well, I know how tough these things are. The second criminal is limping away from a second cougar so I shoot that one too before taking the criminal down with the rope and handing him over to the lawman. Just as I am skinning bodies of horses and cougars and looting the dead criminals/lawmen in the area I hear a wolf. I change to my knife so I can build a kill up on the whole "kill 5 wolves with your melee knife" challenge. Before I can attack the wolf however it hits me immediately followed by this cougar out of nowhere pouncing on me destroying me in 1 second flat. I hate cougars!

Quindiana Jones
06-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I completed that challenge with all five wolves attacking me at the same time. :smug:

Though the bear one is a bitch. Had to shoot that fucker FOUR TIMES with my shotgun before he was weak enough for me to stand a chance. It's pretty sweet taking out a charging bear with one sweep of your knife though. xD

Psychotic
06-06-2010, 06:02 PM
I completed that challenge with all five wolves attacking me at the same time. :smug:*kills quin 700 times*

*heh*

Quindiana Jones
06-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm building this all up so it's all the more satisfying when I fail miserably online. :(

Iceglow
06-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I won't build myself up too much but I'm pretty damn good at riding. I keep up with the Hungarian Half-Breed Psy has on the regular Turk horse. I also demolished him and Dan going place to place, to the point that me and Psy once had a race... he killed my horse and I still nearly took him in the final few bends.

Psychotic
06-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Dan as my witness, you've never kept up with the Half-Breed.

Besides, who cares how fast you can make a horse go when I outscore you on every single gang hideout? Aint gonna save your ass from no bullets, pardner. :cool:

Iceglow
06-06-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm normally no more than 4 horse lengths behind you. Except on the straights where your horse does get the lead on me.

Sephex
06-08-2010, 05:36 AM
MAJOR Am I the only one that proceeded to shoot Agent Ross' corpse dozens of times in the head after the dude was over and the end credits rolled?

Psychotic
06-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Wow yeah that is a major spoiler, but I wanted to do that but his body was launched into the river by the force of my original bullets and floated away.

~*~Celes~*~
06-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I have heard nothing but good about this game, I definitely aim to buy it when i can afford it :excited:

Quindiana Jones
06-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Wow yeah that is a major spoiler, but I wanted to do that but his body was launched into the river by the force of my original bullets and floated away.

My Mauser launched him into the river, but not far enough that I couldn't walk out to him. I then spent five minutes slowly pushing him with my fecking ankles back onto the bay. I also used my sniper rifle to push him onto the bay. I shot every single inch of his body. xD

Meat Puppet
06-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Finally unlocked my first legendary rank last night. Slightly epic 2 v 4 even though they were nubs.

Xanthia
06-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm a classic Western hater... I don't know why but it really rubs me the wrong way. Always has...

But then one day I decided to watch a trailer for Red Dead Redemption... And well, it has certainly captured my interest! This may be the first time where I am interested in something related to a Western theme =/

So yes, I may buy it... I may not... I'll read some more reviews about it first. Just to see if it really is that awesome...

Psychotic
06-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Finally unlocked my first legendary rank last night. Slightly epic 2 v 4 even though they were nubs.What did you do to get the EXP? Best way I have found is grinding Pike's Basin but it gets old fast.

Also Xanthia, I have never been a huge western fan either and I loved this. :shobon:

Meat Puppet
06-08-2010, 10:58 PM
What did you do to get the EXP? Best way I have found is grinding Pike's Basin but it gets old fast.

Yeah, Pike’s Basin is best with two or three people but you have to be finishing it well under 3 minutes to warrant doing it that way. Soloing it is good too, but yar, boring as hell. Another good solo is Twin Rocks because you can do it really quickly and get some nice experience and kill chains for it.

You could probably like... reach Legendary rank 5 overnight by grinding, but golly, like you said it’s boring as hell. As long as you play with friends and mix your activities up it’s survivable for the sane... grinding over and over would make one want to smoke crack.

That being said, it’s no match for GTA IV’s Wanted achievement xD

Iceglow
06-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Isn't the wanted achievement where you have to keep a 6 star wanted rating for 10 mins and then escape? If so then yeah really cheap way of doing it, whilst the first island only is unlocked drive on to the rail tracks, head over to the bridge between the first and midddle island and drive out. Instant 6 stars and considering the cops above can't shoot you you just have to hide from helicopters before taking off down the tunnels in your bid to escape. Not that the game isn't dodgy and allows cops who are on the street to see you're under them even though you're not physically visible from any point on the map bar behind or in front of you inside the tunnels.

Meat Puppet
06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Isn't the wanted achievement where you have to keep a 6 star wanted rating for 10 mins and then escape? If so then yeah really cheap way of doing it, whilst the first island only is unlocked drive on to the rail tracks, head over to the bridge between the first and midddle island and drive out. Instant 6 stars and considering the cops above can't shoot you you just have to hide from helicopters before taking off down the tunnels in your bid to escape. Not that the game isn't dodgy and allows cops who are on the street to see you're under them even though you're not physically visible from any point on the map bar behind or in front of you inside the tunnels.
Reach the highest personal rank in multiplayer. Seems like you mixed a RDR and GTA IV achievement up there...

Madame Adequate
06-08-2010, 11:33 PM

My Mauser launched him into the river, but not far enough that I couldn't walk out to him. I then spent five minutes slowly pushing him with my fecking ankles back onto the bay. I also used my sniper rifle to push him onto the bay. I shot every single inch of his body. xD

I had to use dynamite to rescue him from the river. Then I spent 10 minutes emptying every single bullet, knife, and fire bottle I had into him, before dynamiting him back into the water.

I felt John's death was a bit of a cop-out. It seems to me that it should have been something you chose, in all honesty - we all know we could have taken all those guys (Hell, it looked like I could have done it even as it was if he'd pulled his Mauser instead of a six-shooter). Should have had a little banter where Ross called to Marston in the barn and you could choose to surrender, and die, or fight, and keep your family in danger. Then you could have an epic mission where you make your way by train, horse, and cart to Mexico and go into hiding or ask Reyes for help only he's persuaded/bribed by the US to extradite you and oh no I've gone cross-eyed.

Anyway the point is that whilst I understand why it was done, and I think it was a really awesome narrative, I feel like it was a real missed oppurtunity to give the player one last choice, and it would have been an interesting and important choice that didn't fit easily into a good/evil dichotomy. Given that the game tended to keep that stuff to either a minimum, or to have fairly low importance, I don't think that it would have been a stretch.

Also lol'd when, as Jack, I looted some corpse or other and he said "I am a sad, lonely man."

Edit: @ Xanthia: It is that good. It really, really is. This is one of the best games of this generation. I probably got more out of it because I do like Westerns, but even without that, it's just an amazingly good game.

Edit2: Hold on a tick. If Marston's ranch is in West Elizabeth, why did he get off the ferry into Blackwater at the start of the game?

Tseng
06-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm a classic Western hater... I don't know why but it really rubs me the wrong way. Always has...

But then one day I decided to watch a trailer for Red Dead Redemption... And well, it has certainly captured my interest! This may be the first time where I am interested in something related to a Western theme =/

So yes, I may buy it... I may not... I'll read some more reviews about it first. Just to see if it really is that awesome...

My thoughts exactly. I think the reason I dislike the western theme so much is that my dad would always watch them when I was young and I resented the fact that they weren't 'cool' at the time. Since then I havent been able to appreciate them...especially since we have a life size cutout of John Wayne in our movie theater! But I just got the game and it rocks my socks.

-B

Suikojowy
06-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Is it crazy of me to be holding off going for 100% just because I want to do it in the Deadly Assassin outfit? Something about post game Jack Marston walking around with it just feels right

Meat Puppet
06-10-2010, 09:08 AM
how come it took you so long to get the deadly assassin outfit

Suikojowy
06-10-2010, 10:41 AM
There's a glitch involving the Mo Van Barr bounty which you need to get it, only fixable by restarting which I'm not willing to do and Rockstar have yet to patch it

Psychotic
06-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Ah yeah I've heard of that glitch. Although I don't have Deadly Assassin as I pre-ordered from Amazon to get the golden guns instead.

Meat Puppet
06-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Instead? I got a horse, an outfit, and the guns. They’re all :bou::bou::bou::bou: though... well the guns are :bou::bou::bou::bou:. The outfit and probably the horse are going to be for the general folks anyhow.

Madame Adequate
06-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I got no preorder bonuses :shobon: Also, I've seen people saying the evil horse is badass, but to me it just looks like the victim of animal abuse.

BarelySeeAtAll
06-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Not played it and probably won't, but like I literally just said to my brother, 'for a cowboy game, it isn't that bad!'

Meat Puppet
06-12-2010, 10:38 AM
To those that don’t know, and still want to level up quite quickly, the XP for gang hideouts has apparently been reduced on the PS3 and a patch is on its way for the 360.

EDIT: OK, the patch was released not long after I made this post. :p

Suikojowy
06-12-2010, 12:26 PM
The patch has apparently fixed the Mo Van Barr thing but I'm too into Modnation Racers to try it out now. Good to know when I get back into this though.

To be honest I hate the fact that a level up system was even included in the multiplayer. I wouldn't mind so much if it just unlocked extra avatars or whatever but the fact that you need to level up for better weapons/mounts to get just adds a pointless grind to an online with a lot of potential, if I wanted to grind mindlessly for hours before having "real fun" I'd play an mmo and even then there'd probably be more than 15 other people on it to keep things interesting as well as a more diverse world. Something about clearing out the same two bandit hideouts until level 50 doesn't appeal to me.

Meat Puppet
06-12-2010, 09:01 PM
You can collect every weapon except for the buffalo rifle at level 1, and you don't lose weapons unless you quit. The only annoying mounts are the first two; the turkmen at level 8 is fast enough to keep up with the average player. Plus you can auto-travel/steal your geek friends’ mounts if it comes to it. I have had real fun in this multiplayer since level 1, but I guess I am easily amused.

yay at expert free roams though

Suikojowy
06-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah but they're gone once you leave the free roam, it's not great. I wanted to enjoy RDR's multiplayer but because of this I haven't been able to, oh well.

Meat Puppet
06-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Sucks to be you, I guess.

Suikojowy
06-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Haha it would be if I were a trophy hunter but I'll live with other games

Iceglow
06-13-2010, 08:02 PM
I have to admit I'm loving this game more and more as I play more of it. I feel the affinity for it that you don't get in GTA IV though is it me or is it far easier than GTA IV?

Shiny
06-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Cougars are fucking horrible. I was roaming around Great Plains looking for stuffs and I went to get back on my horse. Everytime I got back on my horse a cougar would come out of no where and kill it and then tried to kill me before I shot it. So then I would whistle for a new horse, but as I got back on it ANOTHER friggin' cougar came out of no where and did the same thing. This happened for at least four more times before I eventually got killed by a cougar.

Iceglow
06-16-2010, 10:51 PM
You were near a cougar spawn point I guess, you need to run away from the area on foot sometimes to get a horse without dying. That or mug a passerby for theirs or jump in their wagon/cart and ride that to a safe point. I've had this with wolves where I ended up with 30+ wolf pelts before I eventually made my way out on foot.

Shiny
06-17-2010, 05:11 AM
I actually thought the cougar thing was very funny. They're better foes than bears. Bears are so slow and I'm pretty sure they're much faster irl. By the time a bear even gets ten feet away from it it's already dead, or in most instances I manage to out run it -- even on foot.

I also tried out free roam today for like 10 minutes before I was like eff this noise. As soon as I got in the game I got killed by someone named Venom1247. -_- I also saw someone named Omecle playing. Oh?!

EDIT: This song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkvAb6THQY) was so pretty to slow ride to when you first get into Mexico. It was great to just take in the canyon environments while listening to it. I don't even really usually like music like this, but it was great. I also find myself humming Riders on the Storm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKbPUzhWeeI) while in the Texas setting.

EDIT2: If there is one thing I will say is that no other gaming company aside from Konami, Square, and Bioware are as beastly at storytelling than Rockstar. I thought I would never say that any Rockstar game would be as good as Vice City, but Red Dead Redemption has proven to be the best one yet (imo). I am so glad they bought the rights from Capcom. :shiny:

And happy to report only 50 percent of the game was riding on a horse through a desert thanks to carriages and campsites. And Irish is the best character. <3

Meat Puppet
06-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Maxed out the game with two days to spare. Ohhhh yeeeaaahh

Psychotic
06-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Two days to spare until what?

Also, riding on a horse through the desert is the best :bou::bou::bou::bou: :colbert:

Meat Puppet
06-22-2010, 02:39 AM
Until the DLC!

Yeargdribble
06-22-2010, 02:44 AM
So I haven't played recently. Got sidetracked with other stuff.

I come back and suddenly instead of vivid red blood when I shoot stuff and viscous red blood splattering on the screen when I skin...

I get pink/purple blood when I shoot stuff and brown/orange blood splattering on my screen.

WTF gives?

Shiny
06-22-2010, 03:47 AM
Television problems it seems, or you could just be playing it on the wrong format. I noticed that while I was playing Assassin's Creed, I had incorrectly set it to play a interlaced mode that was incompatible with my television. And so, instead of getting olive skin tones I got Shrek and drab green.

Yeargdribble
06-22-2010, 04:48 AM
It's just odd because it's the exact same TV and I've changed none of the settings. It's certainly a stark change. My wife noticed it almost exactly the same time I did. The colors changed drastically.

What's weird is that one went lighter... sort of a neon pink/purple while the other went darker... the orange/brown. Before both were bright red.

However, blood spilled on the ground is still quite vibrantly red. It's only the blood of skinning or the blood spraying from freshly shot birds that's noticeable.

I can't imagine it's always been that way and I'd never noticed.

Madame Adequate
06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
I've not seen anything unusually bright but I have sometimes had the blood that splashed on the screen be very dark brownish.

Meat Puppet
06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
yay dlc

Psychotic
06-22-2010, 02:46 PM
:bou::bou::bou::bou: I forgot all about this

LET'S DEW IT etc.

Iceglow
06-22-2010, 11:37 PM
DLC missions are good fun, Me and Psy done most of them tonight just one left to do because we keep on screwing it up at the same point.

Meat Puppet
06-22-2010, 11:45 PM
The River
Pushing other players off the boat
my buddy and I laughed until there were tears

---

Has anybody gotten Gold on The River (advanced)? I have no idea what the required score is, but it must be bloody high. I mean, the level itself isn’t so hard, but I’m getting scores of 9500+ and still only getting Silver medals. wahtahfuuhhh
Also, I had to solo the last section of The River one time because my entire team picked a random vector to run along and all got incapped in ridiculously dangerous spots. It was actually 10 minutes ago and I am still kind of shaky from it. Still only silver, though >(

LunarWeaver
06-29-2010, 05:29 PM
I have learned I hate cattle more than I thought and all females in the old west were bitches.

Iceglow
07-01-2010, 11:32 PM
We did the herd again tonight (Paul, Dan and myself, was Huxley there for the herd? I can't remember) we saved 18/20 cattle at the end of the mission. I took the role of herder, Dan and Paul rode around like lunatics slaughtering the enemies as they came at me. Though Huxley and Jess I remember were dying of laughter as I swore and spoke at the damn cows in to my microphone.

I will save all 20 one of these days :colbert:

Madame Adequate
07-01-2010, 11:53 PM
ITT Steve imagines up things that never happened :greenie:

Iceglow
07-02-2010, 10:22 PM
ITT Steve imagines up things that never happened :greenie:

No I did not imagine things you were listening during the end of the whole cattle mission when I was cursing the damn cows. or at least I am very sure Jess was.

Psychotic
07-02-2010, 10:33 PM
What are you talking about, Steve?

I've never even played Red Dead with you? :confused:

Madame Adequate
07-02-2010, 11:09 PM
What's a Steve? :confused:

Shattered Dreamer
07-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Great game just finished it yesterday the ending was a real shocker :eek:

Psychotic
07-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah the ending is possibly one of the best in a game ever. If you didn't already know, there's an ending after that ending, just go to Blackwater and do the new Stranger mission there.

Shattered Dreamer
07-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Yeah heard about that got a walk through gonna do a 100% game next! But yes one of the best game endings ever!

Meat Puppet
07-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Rockstar Games | Rockstar News Wire | Announcing New Downloadable Content Plans for Red Dead Redemption (http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/6781/announcing_new_downloadable_content_plans_for_red_dead_redemption.article)

Psychotic
07-23-2010, 07:49 PM
really really really want all of this DLC right this second

Pete for President
07-24-2010, 08:22 AM
I can't enjoy this game's single player. I borrowed it from a friend but it seems this game is not for me. Here's why:

'Mindless' is the word that comes to mind. But first, let me say this; walking through town like a badass cowboy is quite awesome. Duals are cool. Rockstar did a good job keeping things interesting while free roaming.

The story mode however, that's where my problem kicks in. The world in free roam is quite realistic, people care about other people, they have lives and do their thing. But as soon as you start a mission, the game goes over the top one-man-army and every single person you encounter seems nothing more than a mindless zombie. I must've wiped out enemies the equivalent of 4 times the population of Armadillo and noone seems to care. Enemies take cover sometimes, but on a horse they just come charging waiting to get shot. In a world where everything's largely based on realism, this just ruins it for me.

Meat Puppet
07-24-2010, 12:10 PM
really really really want all of this DLC right this second

I’m interested to see how the tomahawk will work, because as far as thrown weapons goes, the throwing knife is already godlike. Unless they make the throwing knife less godlike, which could work I suppose... or if the tomahawk will just act as a supplement to the throwing knife’s stock.
because, as we have all found out the hard way, there is nothing worse than thinking you have one extra throwing knife and then find things get ugly when trying to snipe with a stick of dynamite

Psychotic
07-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Dynamite headshots are the best and we all know that.

Dan and I have developed a new way to amuse ourselves in co-op campaigns. You play with randoms and then at the start, take off running. Eventually they die, and they will be forced to watch you. What will they see when they watch?

- Two cowboys walking at the slowest possible pace, side-by-side, down a dusty desert road into the sunset.
- A grotty miner endlessly trying to punch a cactus.
- Cowboys chasing after raccoons, skunks, and so forth, kicking them.

The rage this inspires is beautiful for such minimal effort, and nobody has to kill anybody!

However, the best was a chap who really really really wanted to play Ammunition and would quit all non-Ammunition games. So we kept playing on that and acting like horse's asses and he just sat there, endlessly babbling away at how we should get a checkpoint. He was so desperate he tolerated us doing this for ages. Eventually the chance to restart came around, and as the timer ticked down, we switched to skip mission at the last second and his spirit was broken.

Shiny
07-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Dan and I have developed a new way to amuse ourselves in co-op campaigns. You play with randoms and then at the start, take off running. Eventually they die, and they will be forced to watch you. What will they see when they watch?

- Two cowboys walking at the slowest possible pace, side-by-side, down a dusty desert road into the sunset.
hahahaha that is amazing. :jess:

Meat Puppet
07-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Dynamite headshots are the best and we all know that.

It’s best when you get the horse with the dynamite and then the dude that was chasing you has a few moments in terror to realize that he’s doomed.

And I applaud your griefing method. Has happened to me once or twice, but I didn’t mind. Just meant more kills for me

Psychotic
07-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Reading these, it's clear that I'm so much better than all of you. Can't wait to get online and show you girls how a real man handles his gun. :smug:So how's being killed 25 times in a row without reply working out for you? :smug:

Iceglow
07-27-2010, 06:43 AM
3 way jousts are freaking awesome! Though probably we should've stopped being dicks to one another when we were trying misions.

xXsarahXx
07-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Ive just borrowed this off a friend on a kind of try before I buy basis.
So far loving it!
Cant stop riding my horse around, theres something really reather nice about galloping around taking in the scenery and shooting random animals!

Quindiana Jones
08-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Reading these, it's clear that I'm so much better than all of you. Can't wait to get online and show you girls how a real man handles his gun. :smug:So how's being killed 25 times in a row without reply working out for you? :smug:

My mic wasn't working :(. But I took the punishment, got a fair few nifty kills in, and even didn't use my amazing futuristic TV device to jump through the game and headbutt you both for your lame ass commentary. xD Also, headshotting ICeglow with hios own sniper to stop him singing was orgasmic.

Though, readers, don't misunderstand. Psy did beast me with a 25 kill streak haha.

3 way jousts are freaking awesome! Though probably we should've stopped being dicks to one another when we were trying misions.

Haha that was kinda hilarious. THANKS FOR SHOOTING ME ON THE BOAT MAN. No wonder we failed that mission so many times!

Iceglow
08-04-2010, 09:02 PM
THANKS FOR SHOOTING ME ON THE BOAT MAN. No wonder we failed that mission so many times!

No problem Arty my boy, any time we do the river I can volunteer you get to watch :D