PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean the last hope. kay kay kay kay....

Masamunemaster
05-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Star Ocean the last hope is a great game, but god couldnt they do something about lymle. She has annoyed me soooo much by ending every single sentence with "'kay" kay. There is also the fact that she doesnt have that interesting of a voice....it sounds so....bland...there isnt any emotions in half the stuff she says kay.

Does anyone else find her as annoying when she talks lol.......kay?

NeoCracker
05-04-2010, 03:53 AM
I was far more annoyed with Myria going 'boy' then Lymle going Kay honestly. :p

They did need to drop the Kay, but on a whole I liked Lymle.

Masamunemaster
05-04-2010, 07:09 AM
I just bought it after renting it months ago, and I just got to seeing sarah jerard(that last name sounds familiar from another star ocean maybe? But she has as much emotion as lymle just a louder voice

Ultima Shadow
05-04-2010, 09:17 AM
To be honest, more than half the cast got on my nerves in one way or another. :p

This has been said a thousand times already, but I'll say it again: SO4 is a perfect example of great gameplay but horrible plot and characters.

Mirage
05-04-2010, 02:15 PM
kay was actually kinda cute
too bad the game sucked

Jiro
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
It irritated me. It was cute the first let's say 100 times, but after that it sort of got old.

Masamunemaster
05-04-2010, 07:36 PM
the whole meow thing from meracle is ok, I mean who doesnt like a good cat girl lol.

Either way Star Ocean: Til The End of Time was way better

Mirage
05-04-2010, 08:29 PM
What was good about meracle

JKTrix
05-05-2010, 01:22 PM
I haven't played it, but it was probably the localization team's effort to 'translate' a speech quirk that the character had in the Japanese version. I'm assuming that's the case, because Star Ocean really does look like it was trying to stuff every anime cliche they could into the characters, and the 'speech quirk' one is pretty common.

Perhaps it was a poor choice (a lot of people didn't like how Atlus left all the 'sempais' in Persona, but that is a little different), but it's just part of that particular anime cliche character.

black orb
05-06-2010, 01:49 AM
a perfect example of great gameplay but horrible plot and characters.
>>> That pretty much sums up all the SO games..:luca:
Well, the SO characters are not that horrible..

Ultima Shadow
05-06-2010, 01:25 PM
a perfect example of great gameplay but horrible plot and characters.
>>> That pretty much sums up all the SO games..:luca:
Well, the SO characters are not that horrible..
While none of the SO games has a very good storyline, I'd say neither SO2 nor SO3 has a downright "horrible" plot. And just like you said, many of the characters previous SO games are pretty interesting or entertaining.

In SO4, both characters and plot are screwed up so badly that the best characters in SO4 are on the same level as the worst ones in previous SO games. And the story's "highlights" are hardly better than the random sidequests in previous SO games.

...something along those lines. The absolutely only thing that makes SO4 worth playing is its gameplay, which actually is great. Yet, SO3 still has even better gameplay and provides the player with much more entertaining challenges.

Clo
05-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I've only played S02 and SO: Til the End of Time (which I believe is SO3).

I actually really loved the characters and plot of SO2. Maybe it's because I played it when I was really young and there's some nostalgia value, but I felt like there were less annoying characters and better plotline and settings than in SO3. I'm a huge fan of SO2.

When I played SO3, though, I wanted to kill half the characters. Especially Peppita! I missed it when the voice acting was ONLY in battles. I really think they were trying way too hard to have some sort of movie thing going on.

Anyway, now I want to go replay SO2.... and never play SO3 ever again. :(

Rye
05-06-2010, 05:28 PM
I couldn't finish this game, because of the voice acting =[

Ultima Shadow
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
When I played SO3, though, I wanted to kill half the characters. Especially Peppita! I missed it when the voice acting was ONLY in battles. I really think they were trying way too hard to have some sort of movie thing going on.

Anyway, now I want to go replay SO2.... and never play SO3 ever again. :(
If you had that much trouble with SO3, you might get allergic symptoms from just touching SO4's cover.

I agree that SO3 had a few really annoying characters, but none of them even comes close to the average SO4 character.

@ Rye: turn off the volume or just skip the scenes completely. It's not like you'll be missing anything important anyway.

Chloe.
05-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah the "Kay" got annoying, but I found Sarah's voice to be much, much more annoying.

Masamunemaster
05-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I remember finding an old collection of games, and the old SO's were among them so I played them fairly recently.

I will agree that the gameplay is about it in 4, it would be an even better game without voice acting, so I may end up muting the rest of the game. There is still some stuff that makes me say wtf about it, but Im a completionist so after I beat it Ill end up putting it down old yeller still lol.

For example, if Reimi has the ability to adapt to any enviroment or sickness, they could have made it to where stuff like poison and paralysis only works like once or twice

Zeromus_X
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
There is also the fact that she doesnt have that interesting of a voice....it sounds so....bland...there isnt any emotions in half the stuff she says kay.

There is actually a story reason for this, however poorly presented - read Lymle's dictionary entries to find out why.

I thought it was kind of cute, especially after battles. But I can see how it could be annoying.

"I'm gonna get even stronger, kay!"

"I'm even stronger than Faize, kay!"

"That was...kind of dangerous, you know?"