PDA

View Full Version : Characters' names

Inferno
05-04-2010, 07:48 PM
When I started playing, as a young rookie, I thought it was soooo cool to give the characters the names of people I knew. In my mind the game was much more enjoyable ! So, I was Sabin, my cousin was Edgar, my grandfather was Strago, my little sister Relm... and so on.

Did you... do that !?

Flying Mullet
05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
I've named characters in games after pets, but never after people I've known, except for the occasional Eyes on Plays playthrough where I might name characters after forum members.

I do quite often name them silly names or whatever catches my fancy at the moment.

blackmage_nuke
05-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Name them things like "xD" and "Lol" and it makes for amusing conversations

Inferno
05-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Please note that I stopped doing that

Bunny
05-05-2010, 07:34 PM
I named people names of other people from the same game.

Terra was Celes, Edger was Sabin, Setzer was Umaro, etc

Rebellious Eagle
05-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Not really. I just named Celes after myself because she's my favorite female character. :D

Flying Mullet
05-06-2010, 01:17 AM
Me too! :bigsmile:

theundeadhero
05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I name game people after my friends all the time. I decide who gets named who based off personality and relationship to the main character.

*Laurelindo*
05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
I like using pronoun-type names, because this allows them to always make sense in the game script.
For example, naming someone "my ass" can result in extremely funny conversations.

"my ass has magical powers."
"You're the spitting image of my ass!""
"Gotta wait for my ass...!!!"

Hot Shot
05-06-2010, 05:59 PM
I never did that because it just seems wrong to rename characters who have such strong personalities. I did however do that with I, II (sometimes) and III because they don't really have that much character and (in the case of I and the original III) they didn't have any names.

Pop Frank Socket
05-11-2010, 01:38 AM
I usually name the main character after myself, in ff6 I usually do that with Locke. When I was a kid I named the female characters after girls I liked, then I realized that was really dorky. Now I just annouce to whoever is in the room or onlline that naming rights are up for grabs, first come first serve. In FFII this resulted in the best inside joke between a friend of mine and I with "KURTIS SPEAK BEAVER!!!"

Clo
05-11-2010, 02:05 AM
I never do this. Now I feel like a loser.

The only time in a FF I did this was in IX. My brother and I named Amarant "Bag of Poo" just to see him say "Flaming Bag of Poo". A joke that lasts two seconds. :cool:

theundeadhero
05-11-2010, 02:14 PM
When I was a kid I named the female characters after girls I liked, then I realized that was really dorkyAw man I'm such a dork.

Crossblades
05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I never rename my characters. I always stick with default names. Is there something wrong with me? :cry:

Robostar
05-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Not @ all Crossblades I didnt rename them either.

VeloZer0
05-12-2010, 03:12 AM
I only ever did it once in an RPG, and then realized it was stupid.

Jiro
05-15-2010, 04:55 AM
For the Eyes on Plays VI I named them after people I knew, it was funny how it all worked out. For instance my Setzer had a crush on my Celes and was a bit of a stalker :p

Elskidor
10-17-2010, 08:42 PM
I think I did this alot when I first began playing RPGs and sometimes on a second or third play through.

SNES' Mystic Quest FF4 AND FF6 were my first RPGs, and for FF4 and FF6 I had no clue how to save the game so I had the chance to rename my characters multiple times until I figured out how to save over previously saved files. I rented the games and the entire genre was very new to me, so I just didn't understand the feature of saving a new file over an old file. I thought someone else's previous file would load on the screen I guess. I usually got better with each try and I think the furthest I went without saving on an ff6 play was the big battle at Narshe vs Kefka. Lots of wasted hours there. I'd move on to repeat this mistake on FF7. FF7 was the reason I bought a playstation and thought the memory card was something the player had to find in the game in order to save the game. Luckily I was only stumped on this for about an hour.

Vyk
10-17-2010, 09:28 PM
I did this on my first playthroughs of 6 and 7, with a friend. For some reason I never did it for 4. And always came up with random names for FF1 since the space limit is a little to restricting to name after people. For the record I was Sabin and Red XIII. And for some reason I think I felt bonded to Sabin in that regard, and he remains my favorite character still. But I quit renaming characters after my first playthrough of 7

ChaosPearl
11-07-2010, 05:52 PM
The first time I play through a game, I keep all the original names to get a more authentic experience (only exception is that I renamed Butz right off because it was just too little-boy-humor -- but I did name him Bartz instead). Subsequent playthroughs I know the characters' personalities so I usually give them names I personally like and that I think suit them. Mostly they end up with names from my various D&D and MMORPG chars.

The only game where I give them names of people in RL is the original Final Fantasy bc those characters don't come with their own names anyway and have zero personality. Right now my current party is named after my father, my little sister, my sister's boyfriend, and... my Yorkie. Only problem with this is that I have been known to make strategically stupid moves because I can't bear to see my little baby get killed, whereas sister's BF is more expendable. ;)

Sometimes if I'm doing a solo challenge I'll name all the extra characters after people I can't stand, just for the satisfaction of seeing the dead bodies laying there.

Edit to add: Heh, don't feel too bad about the not knowing how to save thing, lol. Every single damn time I pick up FF7 after not having played it for about a year, I inevitably spend the first fifteen minutes trying to figure out how the hell to save my game until I finally reach the first auto-save point and then suddenly remember how it works. I've been totally spoiled by multiple playthroughs of the original FF remakes (DoS and PSP) where you can just save from the menu at any point anywhere, even inside dungeons.

Roto13
11-08-2010, 12:11 AM
On my second playthrough, I named everyone after Dragon Ball characters. :P Now I only rename characters insofar as I give them lowercase letters in their names.

Though I did do some hilarious renames for characters in other FFs for their respective Eyeson Plays.

Roogle
11-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I only renamed the characters in this game on my first playthrough because of the names being in all capital letters. In subsequent playthroughs, I simply kept the default names, because it leads to inconsistencies with some characters like Banon and Leo who participate in battle.

Otis_Glicker
02-08-2011, 06:18 PM
My brother and I named Amarant "Bag of Poo" just to see him say "Flaming Bag of Poo". A joke that lasts two seconds. :cool:

When I was small, I named Vivi "Puck" after that little rat prince because at the beginning of the game, he tells Vivi that his name is stupid or something like that. He'd make fun of his name and then say that he had the exact same name. So stupid, but it entertained me for a second.

Setzer the Gambler
03-08-2011, 01:14 AM
OMG, that was my favorite part! I loved changing the names of the characters, I remember naming Locke "France" for some reason...
It is a female name... :P and a country name!

I also remember my mom playing the game and naming Relm after me because I was an artist. She also named some of her characters after her sister, her sister's hub, herself and her hub's name... Which is somewhat funny :P

My dad would give the characters strange names and he would put them all in capitals. The only one I remember really is KOTEX and it was Cyan. Why the heck did my dad call him like that? I'll never know.
I did ask him once and he started laughing and telling me that I remembered weird things. ;)

Right now, my characters mostly have my friend's name and some names I enjoy hearing...

As a child, I would name them all sorts of fun names, but it was so long ago I can't even remember them, it's so sad.

KainHighwind
03-26-2011, 01:36 AM
My dad would give the characters strange names and he would put them all in capitals. The only one I remember really is KOTEX and it was Cyan. Why the heck did my dad call him like that? I'll never know.
I did ask him once and he started laughing and telling me that I remembered weird things. ;)

Heh.

http://pwwwblog.ibeatyou.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/kotex_security_182.jpg