PDA

View Full Version : Help with Penance!

-JJ-
05-05-2010, 08:39 PM
So after whooping the dark aeons I found this lovely looking fiend
arise from the calm lands. I thought it would be kinda easy like the dark aeons (By that I of course mean Auto-Life and Attack Reels).
Ha, but it kinda turns out it's a bit of a meanie and will stop at nothing to destroy all my party after I get rid of the arms with it's insane attack speed! :mad:

Is there any methods i could use? (Apart from the "Mighty" Yojimbo)

:) My party

Tidus; Maxed Agility, Strength and Accuracy.
Yuna; Same
Wakka; Same

I have the best equipment (Ribbon, Break HP limit, Auto - Phoenix and Haste... What does it take to beat this thing?

Cheers. (Once i beat this, I would have beat every superboss!)

Karifean
05-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I suppose you could ditch Accuracy and level up Luck instead, if you have the patience. Maxed Defense would be quite good as well...

And for armor, I'd recommend: Auto-Haste, Defense +20%, Auto-Potion, Auto-Protect. Best for all characters.

Always kill the arms before you attack Penance him/itself and you shouldn't have any problems. For Auto-Potion to be effective, either get rid of all Potions and Hi-Potions and get 99 X-Potions or just get that result of Rikku's mix that causes all attack and heal to do 9999.

Shin Gouken
05-06-2010, 06:57 PM
It's been a long time since i went toe to toe with Penance.

Listen to Karifean, you must concentrate all your attacks on the arms before attacking penance. Why? Because in his second form, if one arm gets an attack while the other arm is alive, you will be greeted by his Ultimate attack. That's 99,999HP damage that dispels auto-life as it hits, so it's no survival.

You want to abuse quick hit for all it's worth, and quick pockets for elixers in the second form. Elixers are essential because in his second form, whoever he targets wont just take a ton of damage, but lose all their MP too, which means no quick hits which = you dead in a few minutes.

From what i remember, hitting for max damage (99,999HP) means you kill each arm with 6 hits. You get a few turns to do damage and make sure you're healthy before the first arm regenerates. On the 6th hit and as you kill that arm, the other regenerates and you quick hit that 6 times. A few turns to attack and it's rinse rinse repeat.

-JJ-
05-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks,

I think I'll get my luck to 200 and try getting 99 x-potions along
with the Defence+20%, auto haste, auto potion, auto protect along with some more actual defence...

I heard about how hard it was and it is actually very difficult, :mad: Ha!

Shin Gouken
05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks,

I think I'll get my luck to 200 and try getting 99 x-potions along
with the Defence+20%, auto haste, auto potion, auto protect along with some more actual defence...

I heard about how hard it was and it is actually very difficult, :mad: Ha!

I don't think i went too hardcore on defense, but that's because i filled half of the sphere grid with HP spheres and got my HP upwards of about 40,000.

BTW in his second form, he quite often critical hits for 99999HP which no amount of defense can save you from, nor someone using sentinal.

Like i said, pack lots of elixers too. MP might become an issue. I thought he wasn't too bad really, but i didn't have any pheonix downs so my auto-pheonix was pretty useless. Without the extra hand with reviving, my strat left very little room for error. If you take a packet load of pheonix downs with you, the quick hitting each arm approach should finish him without too much trouble.

Just one last thing. I know people can and have beaten him using overdrives, but in his second form, you don't want to mess it up. Using overdrives pushes back your turns (where quick hit brings them forward) You might find yourself in a sticky spot if wakkas reels don't finish off one of his arms and you've left yourself without a turn - he'll overdrive you right back

-JJ-
05-06-2010, 10:44 PM
OH YEAH!

So judgement day destroys auto life!

So that's why so many people say stuff among the lines of;

"Damn man, i was so close to beating penance, but it somehow pulled a judgement day from one of it's turns!"

I guess I'll keep nailing the arms with quick hits.

I also heard that if you get the two arms up to the point where
one last hit will finish them, and then use ultima or something that effects everyone, they'll take longer to return?

Shin Gouken
05-07-2010, 08:27 AM
OH YEAH!

So judgement day destroys auto life!

So that's why so many people say stuff among the lines of;

"Damn man, i was so close to beating penance, but it somehow pulled a judgement day from one of it's turns!"

I guess I'll keep nailing the arms with quick hits.

I also heard that if you get the two arms up to the point where
one last hit will finish them, and then use ultima or something that effects everyone, they'll take longer to return?

I'm fairly certain they return after a given amount of turns. Using Ultima to nail them both is a bad idea though. Because you don't want them both alive at the same time. Once you kill the first arm, for the rest of the entire battle neither will be on screen while the other is, as long as you concentrate on killing the arm that is there, the other will regenerate on the same turn you destroy the existing arm.

It isn't important while he is in his first form, he can't use judgement day. But you want to use his first form to start the pattern and then maintain it right up until you kill him.

I'm probabley making it sound quite hard. It's not. Once you start the pattern and stick to it then it's really simple. In form 1 he attacks your entire party which is probabley worse than form 2 where he only attacks one target at a time. Auto revive them and heal up their MP and just keep going

ReloadPsi
05-12-2010, 01:31 PM
And once you've gotten it to the point where its armour falls off, check then you can survive its very repetitive pattern for about six turns or so, then consider yourself victorious and use Zanmato, as there's really nothing else to the fight than boring repetition after that.

DarkOrigins
06-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Just a question...what exactly IS Penance?

Karifean
06-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Not really known. A last resort from the Yevonites to finally kill the traitors (the dark aeons were all summoned by Yevonites too)?

I wonder why it comes out of the casm in the calm lands. And why does Vegnagun's Beam in FFX-2 also come out of there? What is it with that casm?

Pete for President
06-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I've only beaten him once using Zanmato. However, I do think I have the stats to beat him - every stat maxed out except for magic and luck (being 220-ish) for Tidus, Wakka, Auron, Yuna and Rikku.

I kinda quit while customizing new armours though, that stuff takes long. But I might try again soon, I do kinda feel like playing X.