PDA

View Full Version : "BGSU has a gaming society?! Now I REALLY hope I get to go there!"

~*~Celes~*~
05-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Though, they should really update their website, it hasn't been updated since they made the Spring Semester '08 gaming list :p

What was YOUR nerdiest moment ever?

G13
05-06-2010, 04:12 AM
I posted pictures of it in the picture thread. :monster:

Yar
05-06-2010, 04:17 AM
We have a video game club at UF. I'm not a member, but sometimes when they have events I go. One time they locked themselves in the Alumni Memorial Union and played video games all night.

~*~Celes~*~
05-06-2010, 04:19 AM
xD Some of the games they have on their list I've never even heard of, but I'm totally willing to try new things out. It looks like (not surprisingly), there's only a handful of female members right now ;| Oh well~

@Eric: You're too awesome to be nerdy! :heart:

Shoeberto
05-06-2010, 04:23 AM
Most decent-sized universities will have something like that, tbh. U of A has the Campus Video Gamers Association and another one dedicated to tabletop gaming. Also an official boffing club, anime club, game development club... lots of cool stuff. It's a great way to meet new people when you're just starting out at a new school.

G13
05-06-2010, 04:28 AM
@Eric: You're too awesome to be nerdy! :heart:

:aimkiss:

Rye
05-06-2010, 04:33 AM
I need to join one of those things, though it'll be hard, now that I'll be a college commuter, and my commute is 40 minutes. XD

My nerdiest moment was probably when I went to Japan Day in Central Park. It was a total wee-aboo fest. I really loved it.

Jessweeee♪
05-06-2010, 04:34 AM
There's one here, but it was at the same time as the anime club. I chose anime club because I was worried that it'd be one of those things where all of the girls there have to be the chick and expect people to be like "oh wow a female gamer." I don't like competing that way so I just stay out of it.

~*~Celes~*~
05-06-2010, 04:38 AM
Yeah, I dunno what to expect in terms of "competition," but since I'm going to have fun as a gamer, not a "sexy gamer chick," maybe that will make things easier? :jess: I sure hope so.

I haven't seen any anime clubs listed, but if there is one, I'll join it if it's not the same time as the gamer club and stuff. I'm not very schooled in anime (or gaming, tbqh), but these are good opportunities to learn! :jess: And to meet new people as Stu mentioned. Though thankfully, I have a lot of friends that I went to school with attending the very same University, so even if I don't see them very often, at least I'll feel somewhat comforted knowing they're nearby <3

Rye
05-06-2010, 04:39 AM
There's one here, but it was at the same time as the anime club. I chose anime club because I was worried that it'd be one of those things where all of the girls there have to be the chick and expect people to be like "oh wow a female gamer." I don't like competing that way so I just stay out of it.

When I went to the video game society with Hux in Reading, I was the only girl besides one of the leaders of the group and a really loud she-troglodyte, and it felt really awkward. I didn't go again. Was the anime club more even in gender? I would join one of those.

Mo-Nercy
05-06-2010, 04:41 AM
I don't think there's one at USYD. But there is an anime society, but I'm not part of that.

I used to frequent the Electronic Gamer's Guild (EGG) at UTS which is down the road from my campus and I'd just pretend I was member so I could play free Tekken and Soul Calibur with people. I pwn3d awesomely. The President or whatever came up to me after word spread I hadn't actually joined their society. I showed him how to turn around and air grab after 214B (qcb+B) with Cervantes and I was officially welcomed after that.

Momiji
05-06-2010, 04:50 AM
I joined an anime club last year.

I went three times and stopped going because I didn't like their taste in most of the shows they watched.

[/nerd]

Jessweeee♪
05-06-2010, 04:53 AM
If you do find an anime club I hope it's a good one like mine was! Some of them will just have you watching the mainstream stuff, which isn't bad, but that's what TV is for. I really liked my anime club because the first semester we just watched first episodes of all kinds of stuff (did you know there's a 69 episode anime about bread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakitate!!_Japan)?!) and then the second semester we picked a couple of series we liked from there and watched them the whole way through.

When I went to the video game society with Hux in Reading, I was the only girl besides one of the leaders of the group and a really loud she-troglodyte, and it felt really awkward. I didn't go again. Was the anime club more even in gender? I would join one of those.

The first semester it was pretty even, but then a ton of people either dropped out or joined the new D&D club that was also at that time (including all of the officers!) so it was just me and a couple of others. They were pretty cool though and there weren't that many guys left either xD

~*~Celes~*~
05-06-2010, 05:01 AM
(did you know there's a 69 episode anime about bread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakitate!!_Japan)?!) .

as a matter of fact, yes. I love that show! :D Haven't seen all of it yet though.

Jessweeee♪
05-06-2010, 05:02 AM
SOLAR HAAAAANDS~

Miriel
05-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Moderating a Final Fantasy message board.

Breine
05-06-2010, 10:46 AM

xD

I've had many nerdy moments in my life, but I do remember happily walking around Akihabara. I had to go see every arcade and check every floor, which meant that I dragged my friend with me all over the place, who is probably the least nerdy person I know. She likes telling the story of me acting like an overexcited kid, and having a frantic and possessed look in my eyes.

Seriously, I could've stayed there for days. I also dragged her to The Ghibli Museum, but at least she enjoyed that experience xD

Slothy
05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm not even sure what my nerdiest moment is. A recent one though was when I bought the first issue of the new Flash comic series a few weeks ago. It came with a free Flash ring (the one his costume pops out of in the comics).

I wore it the rest of the day.

Rye
05-06-2010, 12:59 PM

Actually, yeah, probably that one. XD

Aerith's Knight
05-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I have a degree in physics, that says enough.

Madame Adequate
05-06-2010, 01:14 PM
The abstract notion of technological advancement sexually arouses me. And then I want to use technology to remove involuntary arousal so that I have more time and attention for reading about technological advancement and making use of technology. :jess:

Aerith's Knight
05-06-2010, 01:41 PM
And then I want to use technology to remove involuntary arousal

That's more pharmacology, but I suppose that could be seen as a very abstract and loosely related technological advancement.

Dignified Pauper
05-06-2010, 01:48 PM
BGSU! I know so many people there.

Further, I have too many nerdy moments to count on fingers and toes.

Psychotic
05-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Moderating a Final Fantasy message board.Adminning a Final Fantasy message board.

Momiji
05-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Moderating a Final Fantasy message board.Adminning a Final Fantasy message board.

Moderating a Touhou message board.

Raistlin
05-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Moderating two Final Fantasy message boards, posting at one of said MBs for over 10 years, and owning a fantasy-based RP message board.

The past 11 or so years have just been slightly varying degrees of pretty much constant nerdiness.

~*~Celes~*~
05-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I guess this proves, you can never stop a nerd from being a nerd. EVER. :cool:

Shoeberto
05-06-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't even think I can really name a single nerdiest moment of my life. The past ten years have been my nerdiest moment. I could name so many things, really.

Momiji
05-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I guess this proves, you can never stop a nerd from being a nerd. EVER. :cool:

Once a nerd, always a nerd.

~*~Celes~*~
05-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Hells yeah!

Well, I got accepted! That can only mean one thing: Gaming Society. :cool:

Madame Adequate
05-07-2010, 10:40 PM

That's more pharmacology, but I suppose that could be seen as a very abstract and loosely related technological advancement.

Er, yes, because synthesizing chemicals is only loosely related to the technology we need in order to do it :confused:

Aerith's Knight
05-08-2010, 12:47 AM

Er, yes, because synthesizing chemicals is only loosely related to the technology we need in order to do it :confused:

I'm not sure if you've ever had Organic Chemistry. But if you did, you'd known that for example some anti-bacterial medicine came from someone using blue dye chemicals on people, or noticing that some bacteria stayed away from fungus. It's just Smurfing around with chemicals and see what happens under what conditions. That's not science, hardly technology, and one of the reasons I don't count Biology under science (I can put it in Life Sciences, if you're into that sort of stuff).

Oh, and I don't count temperature baths and condensation controls as "technology", at least not complex ones.

And before you start talking about Nanostructures and all that, that's Nanoscience, not pharmacology.

And now it's just waiting for the inevitable reply where you belittle me even if you don't know anything about the subject. Chain.. Nay, Circle of burn, I call this.

Madame Adequate
05-08-2010, 01:01 AM
But if you did, you'd known that for example some anti-bacterial medicine came from someone using blue dye chemicals on people, or noticing that some bacteria stayed away from fungus. It's just Smurfing around with chemicals and see what happens under what conditions. That's not science

Methodical process of discovering what effects different things have on each other = not science? I really HAVE been misinformed!

~*~Celes~*~
05-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Oh just get a room already, you two :aimkiss:

Rye
05-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I know you guys are closer than a pair of fleshy buttocks, but this PDA is embarrassing Rantzien. He doesn't react well to this stuff!

kotora
05-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Going on IRC is pretty much the nerdiest thing I do. I hope it doesn't get much worse than that. I would never join an organization that calls themselves a "gaming society". The name alone gives me the impression it's full of WoW players.

Momiji
05-08-2010, 06:50 PM
The only way you'd get me to join a gaming society is if they played arcade games-- and actually appreciated them. :p

Madame Adequate
05-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Nobody who calls a shoot-'em-up a shmup is deserving :colbert:

Momiji
05-08-2010, 06:54 PM
:colbert:

I play more than just those, though!

~*~Celes~*~
05-08-2010, 07:42 PM
from what I've seen on the games list, they play a large variety of games. I'll see if I can get the list from Spring semester '08.

Ah, here it is: Games of Society (http://www.bgsu.edu/studentlife/organizations/bggs/games.html)

And according to the facebook group that's almost never posted on :p, they've added console games as well.

Raistlin
05-08-2010, 08:21 PM
calls a shoot-'em-up a shmup

what

Madame Adequate
05-08-2010, 11:31 PM
:colbert:

I play more than just those, though!

Best moment in Dinosaurs & Cadillacs GO