PDA

View Full Version : Strangest model

Serapy
05-07-2010, 06:46 AM
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1166/strangemodel.jpg

Also note how everybody (except the Iguions) from the picture above were floating in the air as well.

If Ellone suits the standard of 'regular humans' more than the Co. party considering that she has a mysterious power, then it's very possible that these regular humans have something special as well - Floating ability.

ChickenHeart
05-07-2010, 07:00 PM
haha you really are nuts!
No i'm sorry :)

All that is, is the bumpyness of the cinematic change?

Breine
05-07-2010, 07:10 PM
It's just a glitch.

MJN SEIFER
05-07-2010, 10:11 PM
No offence Serapy, becuase you've posted some thought provoking stuff in the past but...

The person you're pointing to doens't look like s/he's floating to me - I think the feet are just shadowed.

Skyblade
05-08-2010, 07:30 AM
It's a common misalignment that shows up when displaying character models over FMVs. It happened in VII, VIII, and in plenty of games outside the FF series. Since the processing is handled differently a slight change in speed of either the models or the video results in the two being misaligned. Characters will end up floating or falling through the floor. It is a common problem with the display, nothing else.

Mo-Nercy
05-08-2010, 10:40 AM
NPC casts Float!

MJN SEIFER
05-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I know I'm repeating myself, but I still don't see it.

They all look like they are standing on the ground to me - even with Serapy drawing an arrow on the picture the only strange thing is that their feet dissappear slightly - due to the fact it is dark during that scene.

ReloadPsi
05-12-2010, 01:24 PM
No. The CGI animators dropped the ball. Let this one go, you're not gonna get anywhere with it.

Karifean
05-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I know I'm repeating myself, but I still don't see it.

They all look like they are standing on the ground to me - even with Serapy drawing an arrow on the picture the only strange thing is that their feet dissappear slightly - due to the fact it is dark during that scene.

I feel the same. I suppose they just forgot the shadows of everyone except the Iguions, that would explain everything.

ChickenHeart
05-12-2010, 06:36 PM
i never even noticed there was a arrow O.o

Skyblade
05-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Actually, going back over the actual scene, I haven't seen the misalignment glitch I was expecting. Just the shadows missing. Which isn't surprising since they're on screen for like two seconds, and giving models shadows for something like that (especially since the shadows wouldn't be huge anyway, there are a lot of street lights) would be considered unnecessary programming.

As a side note, why do the character models look so different in your pic than they do in the actual Video Segment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQF1UM_bAaw)?

WhiteStorm
03-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Actually, going back over the actual scene, I haven't seen the misalignment glitch I was expecting. Just the shadows missing. Which isn't surprising since they're on screen for like two seconds, and giving models shadows for something like that (especially since the shadows wouldn't be huge anyway, there are a lot of street lights) would be considered unnecessary programming.

As a side note, why do the character models look so different in your pic than they do in the actual Video Segment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQF1UM_bAaw)?34217

Very good question, Skyblade. This is the actual screenshot of that video you mentioned (Click on the image to see it in full size, please). I guess he/she is using a PS emulator.

Roogle
04-01-2011, 06:23 PM
There are three different ways to see the character models differently in Final Fantasy VIII:

Final Fantasy VIII played on the Playstation, Playstation 2, or Playstation 3.
Final Fantasy VIII played on a computer through its PC port.
Final Fantasy VIII played on a Playstation emulator like ePSXe.

It could be a graphical glitch that only occurs on one of the methods above, or it could be poor or sloppy editing from the developers.

Serapy
04-03-2011, 07:09 AM
I'm using the PC version but I wasn't actually playing it. I was viewing the PC FMV(s) with VirtualDUB.

Jiro
04-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah I don't think they went to a whole lot of effort considering how quick that scene plays. And they're in game models on a FMV, that's bound to get a bit dodgy.

Foo
04-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Honestly, this guy in front (RED ARROW) appears to be floating the most to me. Its just a perspective thing, depending how your eyes see these people.
But with the shadow from the Iguion's tail, my eyes are seeing him float.

http://arenagames.org/forum/for-images/eyesonff/strangemodel2.JPG

Rostum
04-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Who knows what was going through the artist's head, but they either just forgot to render out the shadow pass for some of the people in the scene or didn't bother since it's such a short scene (and rendering is time and a lot of money, especially back then).

WhiteStorm
04-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Who knows what was going through the artist's head, but they either just forgot to render out the shadow pass for some of the people in the scene or didn't bother since it's such a short scene (and rendering is time and a lot of money, especially back then).

I'm going with didn't bother.